Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Gold

Re: Splitters Unite! - Official 2010 Splitter Thread

Post by 02082010 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:04 am

NancyBotwin wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Doxide wrote:sorry but what's a WE caveat?
Northwestern will only be kind to splitters who have 2+ years of work experience
So maybe this question has been asked before...

When they say work experience, they usually mean post-grad stuff, correct? So then how do you think they'll view professional work experience (a job that normally would require a degree but I managed to get because I'm just awesome) that was mostly DURING undergrad - and then of course continued after graduation? Same as post-grad? I sure hope so, because 4 of my 5+ years of work experience were technically during undergrad.
If it was full-time then it'll count as 5 years. If it wasn't (but still a substantial amount) it'll count at 1yr+ bc they'll be impressed by you working a lot during undergrad. I'm assuming this based on my conversation with an admissions rep.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:04 am

missvik218 wrote:
Northwestern will only be kind to splitters who have 2+ years of work experience, otherwise you're out so move on to UVA.

The Duke thing is funny because on LSP my percentage, although ridiculously low is better there then at UVA, what do we make of this?! These are my top 2!!
LSP is less accurate with splitters. It uses index numbers to make an estimation but ignores GPA cutoffs and other factors.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:05 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Northwestern will only be kind to splitters who have 2+ years of work experience
So maybe this question has been asked before...

When they say work experience, they usually mean post-grad stuff, correct? So then how do you think they'll view professional work experience (a job that normally would require a degree but I managed to get because I'm just awesome) that was mostly DURING undergrad - and then of course continued after graduation? Same as post-grad? I sure hope so, because 4 of my 5+ years of work experience were technically during undergrad.
If it was full-time then it'll count as 5 years. If it wasn't (but still a substantial amount) it'll count at 1yr+ bc they'll be impressed by you working a lot during undergrad. I'm assuming this based on my conversation with an admissions rep.
It has definitely been full-time the whole time. So, ok, that's what I thought. Sweet. Thanks. :mrgreen:

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:28 am

Desert Fox wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Northwestern will only be kind to splitters who have 2+ years of work experience, otherwise you're out so move on to UVA.

The Duke thing is funny because on LSP my percentage, although ridiculously low is better there then at UVA, what do we make of this?! These are my top 2!!
LSP is less accurate with splitters. It uses index numbers to make an estimation but ignores GPA cutoffs and other factors.
:( Not really what I wanted to hear, but thanks!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:58 am

missvik218 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
missvik218 wrote:

Don't worry I'm sure your cycle wil be Vik-torious!!!...........I'll show myself out

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:01 am

Dwaterman86 wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
missvik218 wrote: The Duke thing is funny because on LSP my percentage, although ridiculously low is better there then at UVA, what do we make of this?! These are my top 2!!
Don't worry I'm sure your cycle wil be Vik-torious!!!...........I'll show myself out
:lol: I liked it!

philly5

New

Post by philly5 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:21 am

Making the ED call as a splitter is going to give me an ulcer! I had a 168 from a '06 lsat, and then got a 175 this Sept, so I'm now an even more severe splitter. I was planning on EDing to GULC, but will my 175 give me a better consideration at higher ranked school that I would kill myself if I got into after locking myself down at GULC?

On top of that, GULC ED deadlines seem to have changed. They had a 10/30 deadline for the app form and fee and a 12/1 deadline for everything else. Now on LSAC, the 10/30 deadline has disappeared, and they GULC website has a typo saying the ED deadline is March.

Someone is f*@#ing with my head!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:04 pm

philly5 wrote:Making the ED call as a splitter is going to give me an ulcer! I had a 168 from a '06 lsat, and then got a 175 this Sept, so I'm now an even more severe splitter. I was planning on EDing to GULC, but will my 175 give me a better consideration at higher ranked school that I would kill myself if I got into after locking myself down at GULC?

On top of that, GULC ED deadlines seem to have changed. They had a 10/30 deadline for the app form and fee and a 12/1 deadline for everything else. Now on LSAC, the 10/30 deadline has disappeared, and they GULC website has a typo saying the ED deadline is March.

Someone is f*@#ing with my head!
No one can help you without you first disclosing your GPA, what WE if any, etc.

philly5

New

Post by philly5 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:12 pm

2.85, 5 years great WE

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:15 pm

philly5 wrote:2.85, 5 years great WE
NU, GULC, UVA, Mich, Penn would all be willing to take you on ED.

NU and GULC probably RD as well.

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:24 pm

I wonder if two years of meaningless, soul-crushing full-time work experience will do anything for Northwestern. If so, I'm golden.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Doxide wrote:Hey guys out of Northwestern, Duke, Michigan, and UVA which would you say is the most splitter friendly? I need to nail down my ED by the end of this week.
It's not even comparable. NU is in a class by itself for cultivating splitters. They are probably able to do this because they interview the candidates to help separate out weak applicants, and they require work experience meaning the applicants have reformed a bit since their GPAs.

Michigan is not terribly splitter friendly but is more than some other T14s. Duke is probably more of a GPA school and I wouldn't call it splitter friendly in any relative sense.

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:32 pm

169/3.35

Not qualifying for splitter by this threads standards, but I figured I'd throw my hat in. Mainly hoping for good scholarship money around the 20s. I threw in at Columbia (fee waiver), Berkeley, Virginia (fee waiver) and Cornell. Then there's a litany of other schools I went in for hoping for scholarships.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KennyG

New

Post by KennyG » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:28 pm

I'm hoping to be a splitter upon retake. My LSAT is too low now but my GPA is bad enough to make me a splitter wannabe.

2.31/ 163

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:06 am

Sent in most of my apps today! Can't send out UCLA until I get access to a printer so I can print out the certification letter and mail it along with my fee waiver email. Waiting on ND and Iowa bc they still haven't approved my fee waivers.

boo171boo

New

Post by boo171boo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:54 pm

171, 2.53 2yWE
Not sure how to write an addendum explaining why I failed 7 classes + 5 Ds, 8 C-s. (GPA actually awesome other than that lol)

Applying: Miami, FSU, Florida, Fordham, St johns, IUB

Am I guaranteed (or 99%) at least one acceptance?

UF Gators

Bronze

Post by UF Gators » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:45 pm

boo171boo wrote:171, 2.53 2yWE
Not sure how to write an addendum explaining why I failed 7 classes + 5 Ds, 8 C-s. (GPA actually awesome other than that lol)

I think you should apply to more schools. That's a weird mix of schools, any reason why you are applying to Miami and not UF? Miami does not deserve that LSAT score and neither does St. Johns.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:52 pm

ksgator wrote:

I think you should apply to more schools. That's a weird mix of schools, any reason why you are applying to Miami and not UF? Miami does not deserve that LSAT score and neither does St. Johns.
Florida=UF

Also, boo: With an LSAT like that you should apply to some more highly-ranked schools. Throw a LOT of applications out there and see who bites.

boo171boo

New

Post by boo171boo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:29 pm

Combination is because I really only want to be in NYC or Florida (or maybe Cali? or large $ offer).
Even amoungst splitters, there are really few ppl with my combination so I have a tough time deciding on good places to apply bc there just arent any stats out there.

I was also wondering if people thought that my grades, all A(10), A-(13), B+(6), C-(6), D(4), F(7), are better or worse than getting all high Cs and Bs. This seems to require an addendum, but I dont really have an excuse, I basically signed up for classes, never went (or just showed up to final for C-,Ds) and failed. Suggestions?

UF Gators

Bronze

Post by UF Gators » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
ksgator wrote:

Florida=UF

Also, boo: With an LSAT like that you should apply to some more highly-ranked schools. Throw a LOT of applications out there and see who bites.
Ha! Missed that ,thanks!

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:26 am

Where'd all you splitters disappear to? Busy working on your apps? For my part, I sent in 8 of my 18 apps today, and the rest will be in by the end of the week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:33 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Where'd all you splitters disappear to? Busy working on your apps? For my part, I sent in 8 of my 18 apps today, and the rest will be in by the end of the week.
Today I got 10 of 15 notifications from schools that they either received my file or it is already complete. It's annoying that some schools don't have status checkers but at least I can be a little less neurotic. Call ND and Iowa tomorrow about waivers bc I want to send those apps in.

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:39 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Where'd all you splitters disappear to? Busy working on your apps? For my part, I sent in 8 of my 18 apps today, and the rest will be in by the end of the week.
Today I got 10 of 15 notifications from schools that they either received my file or it is already complete. It's annoying that some schools don't have status checkers but at least I can be a little less neurotic. Call ND and Iowa tomorrow about waivers bc I want to send those apps in.
Yeah, I'm waiting on the majority of the remaining apps until I hear yea or nay regarding fee waivers. I sent e-mails to all of them this morning; BU is the only one that flat out said "Sure," some gave me the "waivers are updated automatically through CRS" spiel, and the rest didn't respond.

How long did it take for the schools to send you the "received file" or "complete" notification after you submitted the apps?

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:43 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Yeah, I'm waiting on the majority of the remaining apps until I hear yea or nay regarding fee waivers. I sent e-mails to all of them this morning; BU is the only one that flat out said "Sure," some gave me the "waivers are updated automatically through CRS" spiel, and the rest didn't respond.

How long did it take for the schools to send you the "received file" or "complete" notification after you submitted the apps?
Submitted 14 this past Friday (23rd) and UCLA yesterday. Got 9 of the 14 and UCLA notifications today.

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:45 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

Submitted 14 this past Friday (23rd) and UCLA yesterday. Got 9 of the 14 and UCLA notifications today.
That's a quick turnaround, and it's what I was hoping for. Can't wait to get addicted to some status checkers myself.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”