Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
englawyer

Re: Yale 2010

Postby englawyer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Chichaca wrote:I'm officially not applying to Yale. You're welcome!

(Because, you know, I would've given you all a serious run for your money. :lol: )

you should apply anyway to hurt their yield. maybe we can contact JR to ask harvard if they will fund this effort (application fees) ??

nycsource

Postby nycsource » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:30 pm

can we confirm that faculty review does not begin until february?

Chichaca

Postby Chichaca » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:33 pm

englawyer wrote:
Chichaca wrote:I'm officially not applying to Yale. You're welcome!

(Because, you know, I would've given you all a serious run for your money. :lol: )

you should apply anyway to hurt their yield. maybe we can contact JR to ask harvard if they will fund this effort (application fees) ??

Ummm, yeah, I would actually just help their selectivity rating.

chelita

Postby chelita » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:52 pm

I think what someone said earlier about how most of the people admitted so far are Asha admits and not faculty review would make sense. In that interview (posted previously), she says that she admits between 50 and 80 people without faculty review, and right now there are about 60 people in the facebook group (YLS 2013). Obviously, not all the admits will be in the facebook group, but 60 out of 80 seems like a reasonable number to be on facebook. It also seems like the faculty reviewed admits will not all come out at the same time right? Since we all sent our apps in at different times, it would make sense that they would be staggered as well.

This is all conjecture, but let me know if it seems reasonable...

Pausanias

Postby Pausanias » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:19 pm

chelita wrote:I think what someone said earlier about how most of the people admitted so far are Asha admits and not faculty review would make sense. In that interview (posted previously), she says that she admits between 50 and 80 people without faculty review, and right now there are about 60 people in the facebook group (YLS 2013). Obviously, not all the admits will be in the facebook group, but 60 out of 80 seems like a reasonable number to be on facebook. It also seems like the faculty reviewed admits will not all come out at the same time right? Since we all sent our apps in at different times, it would make sense that they would be staggered as well.

To me, that seems quite reasonable.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:28 pm

"Check your caller id for (203)"

Great, I wanted my blood pressure to skyrocket today... ;)

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:29 pm

lawyering wrote:"Check your caller id for (203)"

How much do you think Asha/Craig love writing those tweets?

G'luck folks!

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Kretzy wrote:

G'luck folks!

Oh, they love it, and they probably love watching our angst on tls too.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:33 pm

lawyering wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

G'luck folks!

Oh, they love it, and they probably love watching our angst on tls too.

Eh, I just went complete, so my angst is low :) But yes, I imagine they do (and I don't blame them...I would too).

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:35 pm

Of course :) I went complete on 1/7, although I'm hoping that's not actually when they started reviewing my app, since I applied on 11/24. Sigh. Waiting is killing me.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm gambling on my complete date (1/25) being too late for this round and not worrying. I hope I'm right.

chelita

Postby chelita » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:37 pm

Now that is just mean!

Saya

Postby Saya » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:48 pm

chelita wrote:

Now that is just mean!
I think I fell in love after the tweet with Stevie Wonder's "I Just Called to Say I Love You" :P

rowlf

Postby rowlf » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:58 pm

Pausanias wrote:
rowlf wrote:To address a few sentiments above, I'm pretty sure all accepts and rejects up until now were ad-comm decisions, as from what I understand, faculty review starts in mid/late February.

Are you saying that Asha doesn't even give apps to the faculty until Feb? I had no idea. May I inquire as to where you got this information?

A friend of mine was a RA to a law professor at Yale for two years. She's interested in law school (applied this year), so she asked questions about this stuff.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:02 pm

I predict a Kretzy acceptance today.

(Keep in mind I correctly predicted the first TLSer to get into YLS--Marbletop)

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:07 pm

chelita wrote:I think what someone said earlier about how most of the people admitted so far are Asha admits and not faculty review would make sense. In that interview (posted previously), she says that she admits between 50 and 80 people without faculty review, and right now there are about 60 people in the facebook group (YLS 2013). Obviously, not all the admits will be in the facebook group, but 60 out of 80 seems like a reasonable number to be on facebook. It also seems like the faculty reviewed admits will not all come out at the same time right? Since we all sent our apps in at different times, it would make sense that they would be staggered as well.

Just to play devil's advocate... if there are 60 in the facebook group already, I doubt those are all Asha admits. That's something between 75% and 100% of Asha admits (1) being on facebook and into joining groups and (2) having made a decision in favor of Yale already. Both those seem like questionable assumptions.

But I have no inside information, sadly.

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:08 pm

this may actually kill me.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:11 pm

I just don't think I've had the time in my life to do anything impressive enough outside of my thesis, one publication, and academics in order to warrant acceptance from Yale. Makes me wish I had some opportunity out of college and could take a year or two doing something meaningful before I applied. As it stands, I think I would just be wasting time, even if the job were semi-prestigious.

rowlf

Postby rowlf » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 pm

dutchstriker wrote:

Just to play devil's advocate... if there are 60 in the facebook group already, I doubt those are all Asha admits. That's something between 75% and 100% of Asha admits (1) being on facebook and into joining groups and (2) having made a decision in favor of Yale already. Both those seem like questionable assumptions.

some are admits from last year who deferred. they might have changed the system since my friend spoke with that professor, who knows? Rejections did roll out earlier this year than in past years...

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:14 pm

Kronk wrote:I just don't think I've had the time in my life to do anything impressive enough outside of my thesis, one publication, and academics in order to warrant acceptance from Yale. Makes me wish I had some opportunity out of college and could take a year or two doing something meaningful before I applied. As it stands, I think I would just be wasting time, even if the job were semi-prestigious.

The only people I know who have gotten accepted to YLS straight out of undergrad were planning to defer admission to study abroad on some type of prestigious scholarship (Rhodes & Marshall) -- that kind of thing seems to be what they look for in applicants who haven't had much time for non-academic accomplishments.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:16 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Kronk wrote:I just don't think I've had the time in my life to do anything impressive enough outside of my thesis, one publication, and academics in order to warrant acceptance from Yale. Makes me wish I had some opportunity out of college and could take a year or two doing something meaningful before I applied. As it stands, I think I would just be wasting time, even if the job were semi-prestigious.

The only people I know who have gotten accepted to YLS straight out of undergrad were planning to defer admission to study abroad on some type of prestigious scholarship (Rhodes & Marshall) -- that kind of thing seems to be what they look for in applicants who haven't had much time for non-academic accomplishments.

Yeah. I could've done TFA and reapplied slash deferred if I was accepted, but I chose not to. *shrug* No worries.

nycsource

Postby nycsource » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:35 pm

I almost wish yale didn't post on the days it makes calls. It doesnt do much for those that don't get a call :(

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:37 pm

nycsource wrote:I almost wish yale didn't post on the days it makes calls. It doesnt do much for those that don't get a call :(

Yeah, I hear ya :( Although it's nice not to have my blood pressure high every day...I guess it mostly helps on the non-call days.

booby87

Postby booby87 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:51 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Mon May 02, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:15 pm

rowlf wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:Just to play devil's advocate... if there are 60 in the facebook group already, I doubt those are all Asha admits. That's something between 75% and 100% of Asha admits (1) being on facebook and into joining groups and (2) having made a decision in favor of Yale already. Both those seem like questionable assumptions.

some are admits from last year who deferred. they might have changed the system since my friend spoke with that professor, who knows? Rejections did roll out earlier this year than in past years...

Yeah a disproportionately high number of YLS admits defer so I bet 20 or so of those in the FB group were admitted in previous years.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”