Yale 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BioEBear2010

Silver

Re: Yale 2010

Post by BioEBear2010 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:54 pm

managamy wrote:
BenJ wrote:
BioEBear is just so awesome that the typo didn't matter.
TITCR.
Aw, now I'm blushing :oops:

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:56 pm

ConMan345 wrote:You've been PM-ed.

Hopefully their is room for those of us who are less perfect than they're admitted students. You know those Yalies, there somethin' else.
Did no one catch my joke?

Or is it just that unfunny? :cry:

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:57 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
managamy wrote:
BenJ wrote:
TITCR.
Aw, now I'm blushing :oops:
Imagine that my avatar said it. Now you have reason to start blushing.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:57 pm

ConMan345 wrote:

Hopefully their is room for those of us who are less perfect than they're admitted students. You know those Yalies, there somethin' else.

I just caught it. There was no emoticon to alert me.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:58 pm

ConMan345 wrote:

I did, thought you were serious at first, then realized mid post you weren't, and then did not post. :P.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:58 pm

managamy wrote:
BenJ wrote:
TITCR.
managamy, that phrase is out of fashion now. All the cool kids say "I agree" or "right" now, maybe "you are correct" if you want eloquence.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:01 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
managamy wrote:
BenJ wrote:
TITCR.
managamy, that phrase is out of fashion now. All the cool kids say "I agree" or "right" now, maybe "you are correct" if you want eloquence.
I'll be uber-cool and start going with Das ist die Kredittet Respaunz.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:49 pm

ConMan345 wrote:

Caught it. It is that unfunny.

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:51 pm

If s/he attends Yale, s/he will fit in nicely.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:37 am

managamy wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
managamy wrote:
BenJ wrote:
TITCR.
I'll be uber-cool and start going with Das ist die Kredittet Respaunz.
DIDKR

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:54 am

englawyer wrote:
managamy wrote: I'll be uber-cool and start going with Das ist die Kredittet Respaunz.
DIDKR
Wrong.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:05 am

ConMan345 wrote: Did no one catch my joke?

You're joke was incredibly lame.

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:29 am

rabbit9198 wrote:
fidesverita wrote:
capitalacq wrote:--ImageRemoved--

this thread now makes me want to withdraw from Y
+ 1 ( - Princess bride convo )
Strangely ironic: there's a screening of Princess Bride in the YLS Dining Hall tomorrow morning, as part of a student-organized Breakfast Club that's new this semester.
awesome. between hearing this type of stuff and reading the student perspective blogs I'm very excited for my near future...:) party at Brilmayer's sounds fantastic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:36 am

ConMan345 wrote:

Actually, it was hilarious. I just couldn't think of any sufficiently amusing repartee to match it.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:59 am

BenJ wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

Actually, it was hilarious. I just couldn't think of any sufficiently amusing repartee to match it.
Flattery will get you everywhere.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:07 am

ConMan345 wrote:
BenJ wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

Flattery will get you everywhere.
I'm glad you agree.

rowlf

Bronze

Post by rowlf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:53 pm

tomhobbes wrote:PSA: listen to Dosed, by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Focus on the sick bass line.
Love that song, and that album actually. I'm pretty bass oriented in general.

More mundanely, I have been tooling around LSN for a while regarding Yale. Acceptances have been trickling out since December, and there were a bunch of rejections sent on or about January 29th, leaving maybe a quarter of those who submitted before Christmas pending. Some of those pending also clearly abandoned their LSN accounts. Here's hoping that many of those of us who submitted pre-Christmas but haven't heard have made it through to faculty review. I looked up what Asha said about it in her interview with AdmissionsDean.

On AdmissionsDean, Asha has said...

AR Well, fortunately, I feel very little pressure because our entire faculty participates in the admissions process. So, while I’d like to take credit for all the “good ones,” that really wouldn’t be fair.

Generally, the way it works is that I do the initial review of each application and at that point I have one of three options: (1) directly admit the person, (2) reject the person, or (3) to send the applicant file on for a faculty review. We have 60 permanent faculty members, and all of them participate in the faculty review process.

So, if I decide to send an applicant on for a faculty review, that person’s file goes to a faculty committee made up of three professors. Each committee receives about 50 files, which the professors will then individually read and score. It’s also important to note that the system is anonymous so the professors who make up the 3-person committee are unaware of who the other two faculty members are. Professors are then asked to score applicants on a score of 2 to 4 with a score of 4 being the highest -- and they have a curve so that they can only give so many 2’s, 3’s and 4’s. And, you have to remember that these are already files that have been pre-screened by me so they really are a very competitive bunch to begin with.

Each reader is free to use his or her own criteria. They can give weight for some things and discount for others and do whatever they want to do to come up with their ratings system. After a file has gone through three reads, the file comes back to the admissions office and we add up the scores. Applicants who receive a cumulative score of 12 -- which means they got 4’s from all three readers -- are extended an offer of admission. Generally, even applicants who receive a score of 11 -- which is a 4, 4, and a 3 -- are also admitted. Then, from the remaining scores we create a wait list from which some people may be released.

AD Roughly how many applicants receive an automatic admit from you and how many applicants do you pass along for faculty review?
AR I admit roughly 50-80 students a year directly. So let’s say in the end we extend about 250 offers of admission -- I’m making the decision to admit anywhere between 20-30% of those students. The remaining 70-80% -- the bulk of the students admitted -- are admitted by the faculty. In terms of the percentage of the entire pool of applicants who are sent to the faculty, I would say it is about 20%, which means that we have a lot of applicants who are flat out rejected after my initial review. But look, our applicant pool is around 3,500 students, so it still means that about 700-800 files go on to get reviewed by faculty -- and those, again, are the most competitive files.

The luxury we have is that we have more qualified people who apply to us than we can take and we really could fill our class 3-4 times over -- we just simply don’t have the room to do so. So, at some level, the distinctions we’re going to be making between applicants are highly subjective because we’re seeing a lot of applicants with great scores. The idea is that we have 60 different perspectives offering their opinions on whom we should admit and on whom we should pass. This helps us arrive at the final 200 or so people we choose to admit.

Now, sometimes I’m torn about whether to send an applicant along for a faculty review. When this happens, I first ask the other two people in my office -- Yale’s Director of Admissions and Director of Recruiting -- to take a look at the file and offer their thoughts. So, realistically, some applications actually receive up to six different reads. I really do my best to make sure that each application is thoroughly reviewed before any decisions are made and, most importantly, that our “first cut” is not based on scores and numbers alone.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:11 pm

*Crosses fingers for positive faculty review*

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Just sent!

Here's to hoping Dean Rangappa is good on her word that applying late doesn't hurt my chances (too much)!

nycsource

New

Post by nycsource » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:20 pm

do we know how long it takes to go through faculty review?

Is it fair to assume that if I applied in mid october and haven't heard back yet that I went through faculty review but it wasn't a positive outcome and that I am on the waitlist?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:26 pm

nycsource wrote:do we know how long it takes to go through faculty review?

Is it fair to assume that if I applied in mid october and haven't heard back yet that I went through faculty review but it wasn't a positive outcome and that I am on the waitlist?
That is not a fair assumption, no.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pausanias

Bronze

Post by Pausanias » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:51 pm

This again makes me wonder whether those of us who were accepted in early December were Asha admits or a Professors admits. The reason I ask is I have heard about professors who recognize students based on the apps they read. Also, as a side note, I just had the pleasant surprise of running into a surprise Yale Law movie, Chances Are.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:52 pm

Anyone know when Yale's last admissions come out? I figure it's early-to-mid April, but that doesn't give folks who do get in much time to visit, I'd imagine.

Obviously, this has nothing to do with waitlisted folks.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:54 pm

Kretzy wrote:Anyone know when Yale's last admissions come out? I figure it's early-to-mid April, but that doesn't give folks who do get in much time to visit, I'd imagine.

Obviously, this has nothing to do with waitlisted folks.
The blog says mid- to even late-April...

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:44 pm

Last year there was a massive tidal wave of decisions on April 15th.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”