Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
booby87

Re: Yale 2010

Postby booby87 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:51 am

Last edited by booby87 on Mon May 02, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt2010

Postby matt2010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:42 am

Anyone know if I should send in updated transcripts with fall grades if I'm still just under review?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:34 am

matt2010 wrote:Anyone know if I should send in updated transcripts with fall grades if I'm still just under review?

If your grades are good, send them.

Pausanias

Postby Pausanias » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:31 am

Pat Robertson may be a fellow YLS alum, but clearly before the grade reform. That's what happens, boys and girls, when you actually have to work for grades in New Haven. BTW, St. Augustine is also my confirmation saint. Go Hippo!

And for those of you who haven't seen Princess Bride, although I do recommend it, the book is better; it's by William Goldman who wrote Butch Cassidy and Marathon Man (one of the best).

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:19 am

--ImageRemoved--

this thread now makes me want to withdraw from Y

rowlf

Postby rowlf » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:55 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
managamy wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:haha, I'm still semi-contemplating applying to Yale, even though I'm pretty sure it'd be a lost cause with my stats (~3.7 / 175). also, applying this late looks bad I guess... maybe I'll try writing the 250 and if it turns out well, I'll apply :)

If you're not really sure about the whole idea, maybe you shouldn't waste the time on the 250, which can take a while. As noted earlier, you can't judge your chances just by stats; they've taken people with your numbers in the past if their softs are good.

eh, writing the 250 would probably actually be fun, and I'd consider it a good exercise for my writing (which has gotten slightly rusty due to disuse). my softs are OK but nothing super awesome, so it seems like it'd be pretty difficult to overcome the sub sub sub 25th gpa.

I actually found writing the 250 to be a fun writing exercise, too. I did a few quick studies and developed the best one. Wish I had had had time to work on a few more of them.

On a more grim note, for the early applicants who've heard, do the rejections received to date all have the same date on the letter, or does it vary?

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:12 pm

capitalacq wrote:--ImageRemoved--

this thread now makes me want to withdraw from Y

+ 1 ( - Princess bride convo )

knola002

Postby knola002 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:26 pm

Just looked at the LSN graph for this cycle. Had not seen it in a few weeks. It looks much redder than I remember, and now I don't want to check the mail :(

roxj

Postby roxj » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:23 pm

Dinged. First one of the cycle. Stats in profile. When you see my stats, you'll understand why I'm not surprised by this rejection. Good luck everyone else!

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:26 pm

roxj wrote:Dinged. First one of the cycle. Stats in profile. When you see my stats, you'll understand why I'm not surprised by this rejection. Good luck everyone else!

sorry to hear it :( but you just have to try, right?

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:05 am

Is my memory faulty, or is Yale the only top school that doesn't ask you about your race anywhere on the application?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:11 am

tomhobbes wrote:Is my memory faulty, or is Yale the only top school that doesn't ask you about your race anywhere on the application?

It's impossible that your memory is faulty, considering your recollection of St. Augustine, so clearly Yale is the only top school that doesn't ask you about your race.

That said, such sections are always optional, and I know URMs who did not fill them out because they did not want to owe their acceptance to their race rather than to their personal accomplishments. Props to them, in my opinion.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:16 am

managamy wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:Is my memory faulty, or is Yale the only top school that doesn't ask you about your race anywhere on the application?

It's impossible that your memory is faulty, considering your recollection of St. Augustine, so clearly Yale is the only top school that doesn't ask you about your race.

That said, such sections are always optional, and I know URMs who did not fill them out because they did not want to owe their acceptance to their race rather than to their personal accomplishments. Props to them, in my opinion.

Although, for many minorities personal accomplishments are only properly viewed in the full context, which includes their race. You make it sounds like personal accomplishments has to be considered seperately from race.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:17 am

It is the only one I noticed but I skipped a few. Looks like Yale doesn't really want a DS as well.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:18 am

r6_philly wrote:
managamy wrote:

Although, for many minorities personal accomplishments are only properly viewed in the full context, which includes their race. You make it sounds like personal accomplishments has to be considered seperately from race.

Definitely. I'm just saying what they told me, having no idea of what the specific factors were in their case. Sorry if you took offense.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:27 am

managamy wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
managamy wrote:

Definitely. I'm just saying what they told me, having no idea of what the specific factors were in their case. Sorry if you took offense.

Oh I did not. I do would like to know why they would feel that way. If it is indeed true that their personal accomplishments were achieved without relation to their racial status it would make me feel great about a lot of things. :)

And I just have the need to reply and be apart of this thread :mrgreen:

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:38 am

r6_philly wrote:
I do would like to know why they would feel that way. If it is indeed true that their personal accomplishments were achieved without relation to their racial status it would make me feel great about a lot of things. :)

And I just have the need to reply and be apart of this thread :mrgreen:

I can try to find out and get back to you. It struck me as curious too, but I guess what impressed me was that they didn't want to take what seemed to them to be an unfair advantage. If I were in their position, I'm not sure that I would have done the same.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:48 am

managamy wrote:
I can try to find out and get back to you. It struck me as curious too, but I guess what impressed me was that they didn't want to take what seemed to them to be an unfair advantage. If I were in their position, I'm not sure that I would have done the same.

It would be remarkable it it was true.

It it wasn't, (the need to) masking the ill effect of their racial identity isn't something that I consider very constructive or healthy for our society.

I was originally thinking, the need to prove to society (or anyone) that one's personal accomplishments needed to be viewed without the implication of race (whether it is justified or not) testifies to the racial inequalities that they face. Sort of circular, but speaks volumes IMO.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:19 am

r6_philly wrote:
managamy wrote:

It would be remarkable it it was true.

It it wasn't, (the need to) masking the ill effect of their racial identity isn't something that I consider very constructive or healthy for our society.

I was originally thinking, the need to prove to society (or anyone) that one's personal accomplishments needed to be viewed without the implication of race (whether it is justified or not) testifies to the racial inequalities that they face. Sort of circular, but speaks volumes IMO.

I just talked with one of them on AIM and now can see your point more clearly; I'll send details in a PM.

Pausanias

Postby Pausanias » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:01 am

I was also struck by the fact that YLS was the only school I applied to that did not ask about race. However, don't all schools get the LSAC info form, which includes race? I'm not positive on this...

booboo

Postby booboo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:06 am

Pausanias wrote:I was also struck by the fact that YLS was the only school I applied to that did not ask about race. However, don't all schools get the LSAC info form, which includes race? I'm not positive on this...

Yes, they do. It is listed on the LSAT report sheet. Unless you didn't choose to identify when you took the LSAT.

jrgong

Postby jrgong » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:15 am

rejected 2/3 173 3.9X

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:23 am

jrgong wrote:rejected 2/3 173 3.9X

ugh. my numbers are exactly the same as yours. awesome.
ding me now, asha.

skynet

Postby skynet » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:26 am

managamy wrote: Sorry if you took offense.

This is my favorite form of apology.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:28 am

clyde_barrow wrote:
jrgong wrote:rejected 2/3 173 3.9X

ugh. my numbers are exactly the same as yours. awesome.
ding me now, asha.

don't worry clyde. i don't believe your chances increase/decrease substantially once you get past the initial admissions cutoff.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”