Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CardinalRules

Re: Yale 2010

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:49 pm

catwoman wrote:
nixxers wrote:hmm....yale is the last application to go complete. I got notification that they received my app on October 21, but have heard nothing. How long do I wait before I call to check?

I got the received email on the same day and the complete email on Oct. 30. I don't think I'd call, but perhaps you could send them an email? They ask applicants not to call about the status of their applications in their complete email.

They were my last school to send notification of completion as well. Glad to see this thread resurrected from the back pages, by the way.

ankit

Postby ankit » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:22 am

I see on LSN that there were a few acceptances between 12/10 and 12/20 in the last two years, after which Yale took a break for a couple of months and sent the rest of the decisions in February.

So I guess some admits should expect to hear next week!! Good luck to all with astronomical stats, high hopes, or both :)

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:30 pm

ankit wrote:I see on LSN that there were a few acceptances between 12/10 and 12/20 in the last two years, after which Yale took a break for a couple of months and sent the rest of the decisions in February.

So I guess some admits should expect to hear next week!! Good luck to all with astronomical stats, high hopes, or both :)

Yeah, I imagine that Yale usually accepts only +75th in both categories types in the first round; these people never even go to faculty review. Even then, I don't think anyone is pretentious enough to expect a Yale acceptance without going through the rigorous review process.

Upon second look, wow... maybe not.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:59 pm

My numbers might qualify me to be one of their auto-admits, but the rest of me doesn't, so I'm going to restrain myself from regretting my decision not to apply yet.

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:01 pm

tomhobbes wrote:My numbers might qualify me to be one of their auto-admits, but the rest of me doesn't, so I'm going to restrain myself from regretting my decision not to apply yet.

that's the problem. the early admits probably have the blackest of all black box criteria. doubt it's just the auto-admit numbers, unfortunately...

driveshaft

Postby driveshaft » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:16 pm

tomhobbes wrote:My numbers might qualify me to be one of their auto-admits, but the rest of me doesn't, so I'm going to restrain myself from regretting my decision not to apply yet.

Not quite auto-admit, but I'm with you on not regretting not applying yet. Of course, seeing this thread is only forcing me to feel like procrastinating a month on the 250 was a silly decision. OK, fine, you win, I'll get the first draft done today, but you better be right, Thread. Or else.

Having reread what I just wrote, I'm thinking my lack of confidence in how my JR1 went has sent me totally over the edge.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:19 pm

driveshaft wrote:

Not quite auto-admit, but I'm with you on not regretting not applying yet. Of course, seeing this thread is only forcing me to feel like procrastinating a month on the 250 was a silly decision. OK, fine, you win, I'll get the first draft done today, but you better be right, Thread. Or else.

Having reread what I just wrote, I'm thinking my lack of confidence in how my JR1 went has sent me totally over the edge.

Yeah you sounded just a little crazy there, haha. I submitted on 12/2 and the app was received and processed 12/3, so I hope I'm still at least in consideration for that first group (even though I won't be in it).

Gwen

Postby Gwen » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:31 pm

Go Yale! I hope to have my application submitted by Monday.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:00 pm

GeePee wrote:
ankit wrote:I see on LSN that there were a few acceptances between 12/10 and 12/20 in the last two years, after which Yale took a break for a couple of months and sent the rest of the decisions in February.

Yeah, I imagine that Yale usually accepts only +75th in both categories types in the first round; these people never even go to faculty review. Even then, I don't think anyone is pretentious enough to expect a Yale acceptance without going through the rigorous review process.

I hope that you're right, but Yale's website says that they don't admit until February. It would be lovely to have an early acceptance, but I think that it would entail being both over the 75ths in LSAT / GPA and strong in softs. Since I have the former criterion but nothing remarkable in the latter, I'm not getting my expectations too high at this point.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:41 pm

managamy wrote:
GeePee wrote:

I hope that you're right, but Yale's website says that they don't admit until February. It would be lovely to have an early acceptance, but I think that it would entail being both over the 75ths in LSAT / GPA and strong in softs. Since I have the former criterion but nothing remarkable in the latter, I'm not getting my expectations too high at this point.

Actually the reason for my edit was that this didn't really seem to hold up. A lot of admits were not in this 4.0/178 category, and there didn't seem to be much rhyme or reason. Who knows... I think it's useless to even consider what Yale's process is like.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:48 pm

I have been procrastinating seriously on my Yale app, mostly because of the 250.

Getting into Boalt yesterday makes me wonder if I will even apply. I feel like I already got lucky once...plus the two folks I know at YLS do not love it. And I hate Connecticut.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:53 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I have been procrastinating seriously on my Yale app, mostly because of the 250.

Getting into Boalt yesterday makes me wonder if I will even apply. I feel like I already got lucky once...plus the two folks I know at YLS do not love it. And I hate Connecticut.

Don't bother if you're happy with Boalt. It's no fun living in a place that you hate.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:54 pm

Thank you. I needed that dose of reality. :) Why waste the $80 (or whatever) and a bunch of people's time? I guess there is still a shred of me holding on, saying, "You didn't take all of this time and effort on the LSAT and applications to NOT apply to Yale," but that little voice is probably just full of shit.

I love it out here. To say I'd be happy sticking with Boalt would be an understatement.

Good luck to all you Yale-ies!

puppleberry finn

Postby puppleberry finn » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:01 pm

This thread probably isn't worth following until Feb, and even then, just to make myself feel bad. But tagged nonetheless.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:02 pm

puppins wrote:This thread probably isn't worth following until Feb, and even then, just to make myself feel bad. But tagged nonetheless.

How do you tag a thread? It would be useful to know.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:05 pm

managamy wrote:
puppins wrote:This thread probably isn't worth following until Feb, and even then, just to make myself feel bad. But tagged nonetheless.

How do you tag a thread? It would be useful to know.

By posting in it.

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:08 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:plus the two folks I know at YLS do not love it.

F'real? My two friends there make it sound like some kind of legal Eden. If I hadn't applied, I'm pretty sure they would both have stopped speaking to me.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:09 pm

ClemCarter wrote:

F'real? My two friends there make it sound like some kind of legal Eden. If I hadn't applied, I'm pretty sure they would both have stopped speaking to me.

The one person whom I know there is not having a particularly good time, but they are not much like me so I don't take their evidence too seriously.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:16 pm

ClemCarter wrote:

For real. I'm sure lots of people completely adore it...Yale offers an education (and reputation) second-to-none. My two friends, however, don't love it...both citing New Haven, the weather, and the "vibe". One even says he wishes he went to NYU.

I'm not trying to do any Yale-bashing...it's the #1 school for a reason! I'm just sounding off on the reasons that I'm deciding not to apply anymore...laziness on that 250 definitely being a part of it! I mostly just don't think it'd be the place for me. I've spent too much time in Connecticut and wouldn't mind never returning.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:20 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I have been procrastinating seriously on my Yale app, mostly because of the 250.

+1. My friend hates it.

Not that I would ever be let in to Yale, but for what it's worth New Haven is terrible. The school itself is nice, but the area is just miserable, cold and no fun.

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:23 pm

I still want to apply to Yale, but being accepted to Harvard just makes all problems seem distant and unimportant, even applying to Yale.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:24 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:

For real. I'm sure lots of people completely adore it...Yale offers an education (and reputation) second-to-none. My two friends, however, don't love it...both citing New Haven, the weather, and the "vibe". One even says he wishes he went to NYU.

I'm not trying to do any Yale-bashing...it's the #1 school for a reason! I'm just sounding off on the reasons that I'm deciding not to apply anymore...laziness on that 250 definitely being a part of it! I mostly just don't think it'd be the place for me. I've spent too much time in Connecticut and wouldn't mind never returning.

The school where you've just been accepted might be #1 in the "vibe" category. Which is why I want a call from them!!

catwoman

Postby catwoman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:11 pm

I'm going to out myself as a former Yalie and say that New Haven is not the cold, dank, miserable place that posters here make it out to be. It's actually a wonderful place to be a student, and I have fond memories of the city (and not just the university).

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:13 pm

catwoman wrote:I'm going to out myself as a former Yalie and say that New Haven is not the cold, dank, miserable place that posters here make it out to be. It's actually a wonderful place to be a student, and I have fond memories of the city (and not just the university).

I don't doubt that you had a great time. But are you from California? If not, you might not know how lovely life can be.

nixxers

Postby nixxers » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:26 pm

tomhobbes wrote:I still want to apply to Yale, but being accepted to Harvard just makes all problems seem distant and unimportant, even applying to Yale.

Word
I already applied but I just reread my 250 and....yikes. I feel like I'd rather end the cycle positively rather than with a big ol' (though admittedly at this point pretty unimportant) rejection.....seriously considering withdrawing.... >.>

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”