Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
grrrstick

Re: Yale 2010

Postby grrrstick » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:27 pm

owhlcn wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
owhlcn wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Good luck folks! I really should finalize my damn 250...

Kretzy, would you take Y over S?

Probably, but I'm not sure. Considering I came into this cycle thinking that Chicago would maybe be my best acceptance, I haven't yet done much due diligence in researching HY.

Gotcha. Also, their Twitter updates make my heart stop. Sigh.

It almost isn't fair to update and then wait forever to tell anyone (or at least anyone who posts here). Oh well, I can dream for a few more minutes.

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:29 pm

grrrstick wrote:
owhlcn wrote: Also, their Twitter updates make my heart stop. Sigh.

It almost isn't fair to update and then wait forever to tell anyone (or at least anyone who posts here). Oh well, I can dream for a few more minutes.

Almost? YALE WHAT ARE YOU DOING

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Law school twitters should come with a Surgeon General's warning about endangering one's health =)

mhopeful

Postby mhopeful » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Just found out around twenty minutes ago via phone call that I was accepted! Good luck to everyone else!

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:31 pm

mhopeful wrote:Just found out around twenty minutes ago via phone call that I was accepted! Good luck to everyone else!

many many jealous congrats

ad astra

Postby ad astra » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:34 pm

congratulations!!!

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:34 pm

mhopeful wrote:Just found out around twenty minutes ago via phone call that I was accepted! Good luck to everyone else!

I hate you :D . Seriously, congratulations are due. Mind if I ask when you submitted your application (feel free to pm me if you're not wanting to share this online)

mhopeful

Postby mhopeful » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:44 pm

Thanks for the congrats everyone! I am crossing my fingers for all of u. I submitted my app in mid November if that helps

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:35 pm

Well... apparently someone got in, but there are no new data points on LSN. Probably not a big batch.

I guess tomorrow's a new day.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:40 pm

GeePee wrote:Well... apparently someone got in, but there are no new data points on LSN. Probably not a big batch.

Hey GP, what's your ranking among HYS?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:47 pm

Congratulations! What a great start to the new decade.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:00 pm

crackberry wrote:
GeePee wrote:Well... apparently someone got in, but there are no new data points on LSN. Probably not a big batch.

Hey GP, what's your ranking among HYS?

For personal preference, probably Y-H-S. I ended up not applying to Stanford because it didn't seem worth it to go to Palo Alto for prospects in my target market that would probably be similar to Columbia (I'm from NYC).

Institutionally, I'd be hard pressed to rank them. There are things that I like about each school, and I don't think you could argue with any of the 3 being #1.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:30 pm

Yale wrote:I hope 2010 is off to a good start for all of our readers. We’ve been busy reading your applications and admitting some of you (contrary to some rumors, we do, in fact, admit applicants). January is traditionally a great time to get a lot of work done because, next to summer, it’s the quietest time of the year at YLS. Why is it so quiet? Because, unlike most schools, our final exams are administered after the winter break. For two weeks in January, the lectures, conferences, and symposia all stop and our students focus on their papers and exams.

Now, if finals period conjures up painful thoughts for you of all-night study sessions and disheveled, library-bound, pajama-clad classmates, I’m here to tell you that the exam period here is almost certainly unlike anything you experienced as an undergraduate. To demonstrate, here are the top four reasons why our finals period is so much better than your finals period:

1) Take your exams at the beach (think Fiji, not Long Island Sound). With the advent of the Internet (praise be to Al Gore) and ever-present Internet connections, you can take your exams practically anywhere. Almost all of our exams are administered online. Combine this with the fact that many of our library resources are only a mouse click away and you can relax under a cabana while you rock that antitrust final. In fact, many of our students depart New Haven for the winter break and don’t come back until the spring term begins at the end of January.

2) Take your exams when you want. Are you a procrastinator? Hate all-night cramming? Still trying to catch up on all of those shows you Tivoed during the fall term? If so, you’ll love YLS. Many of our exams are self-scheduled. You “check out” the exam and then you have a specified period of time to “check in” your finished masterpiece.

3) Don’t take exams at all. It’s possible at YLS not to have exams in a given term. Many of our classes offer a paper option instead of an exam. If the thought of finals, even those at the beach, puts you on edge or you just like writing papers, then you can choose your courses accordingly. The Bulletin usually denotes which courses have this option.

4) Repeat after me, pass/fail, pass/fail. Your first-term 1L courses are graded on a pass/fail basis. This system is commonly referred to by students as pass/pass. In fact, you’d have to work at failing a first-term 1L course. While this doesn’t mean that 1Ls don’t study, it does mean that a lot of the pressure is removed from the examination process since your grades will look like everyone else’s grades. After your first term, courses are graded on an honors/pass/low pass/fail system. This system is not based on a curve and the low pass and fail marks aren’t given very often.

With the exam period almost over (wish the 1Ls good luck on their con law exams on Tuesday) our relaxed and tanned students will slowly begin returning to the Law School and the stream of fascinating visitors, lectures, conferences, and symposia will start up again. Until then, we’ll be busy reading your applications in relative quiet.

I so want in... Why aren't all schools like Yale?

Plus this thread was on the third page... Shame

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:16 pm

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:22 pm

Kakarot wrote:
Yale wrote:I hope 2010 is off to a good start for all of our readers. We’ve been busy reading your applications and admitting some of you (contrary to some rumors, we do, in fact, admit applicants). January is traditionally a great time to get a lot of work done because, next to summer, it’s the quietest time of the year at YLS. Why is it so quiet? Because, unlike most schools, our final exams are administered after the winter break. For two weeks in January, the lectures, conferences, and symposia all stop and our students focus on their papers and exams.

Now, if finals period conjures up painful thoughts for you of all-night study sessions and disheveled, library-bound, pajama-clad classmates, I’m here to tell you that the exam period here is almost certainly unlike anything you experienced as an undergraduate. To demonstrate, here are the top four reasons why our finals period is so much better than your finals period:

1) Take your exams at the beach (think Fiji, not Long Island Sound). With the advent of the Internet (praise be to Al Gore) and ever-present Internet connections, you can take your exams practically anywhere. Almost all of our exams are administered online. Combine this with the fact that many of our library resources are only a mouse click away and you can relax under a cabana while you rock that antitrust final. In fact, many of our students depart New Haven for the winter break and don’t come back until the spring term begins at the end of January.

2) Take your exams when you want. Are you a procrastinator? Hate all-night cramming? Still trying to catch up on all of those shows you Tivoed during the fall term? If so, you’ll love YLS. Many of our exams are self-scheduled. You “check out” the exam and then you have a specified period of time to “check in” your finished masterpiece.

3) Don’t take exams at all. It’s possible at YLS not to have exams in a given term. Many of our classes offer a paper option instead of an exam. If the thought of finals, even those at the beach, puts you on edge or you just like writing papers, then you can choose your courses accordingly. The Bulletin usually denotes which courses have this option.

4) Repeat after me, pass/fail, pass/fail. Your first-term 1L courses are graded on a pass/fail basis. This system is commonly referred to by students as pass/pass. In fact, you’d have to work at failing a first-term 1L course. While this doesn’t mean that 1Ls don’t study, it does mean that a lot of the pressure is removed from the examination process since your grades will look like everyone else’s grades. After your first term, courses are graded on an honors/pass/low pass/fail system. This system is not based on a curve and the low pass and fail marks aren’t given very often.

With the exam period almost over (wish the 1Ls good luck on their con law exams on Tuesday) our relaxed and tanned students will slowly begin returning to the Law School and the stream of fascinating visitors, lectures, conferences, and symposia will start up again. Until then, we’ll be busy reading your applications in relative quiet.

Wow. :o All of this information is amazing. Thanks!

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:32 am

managamy wrote:Wow. :o All of this information is amazing. Thanks!

The flexibility around exams is one of my favorite things about YLS. I just finished a 24-hour exam; in the midst of the exam, I got a full night's sleep, went out to lunch, TAed a class, and did my laundry. Except for the part where I had to leave my building, I did it all wearing pajamas. [All of this relaxation was helped a ton by the professor's 9-double-spaced-page limitation on our responses; he wanted us to read the questions, take time to think about what we wanted to say, jot down some notes, then come back to our outline and flush out our thoughts. It's much nicer to do that over 24 hours than crammed into 3 hours.]

And tomorrow...(don't get too jealous)...I'm going to the beach. :)

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:35 am

rabbit9198 wrote:

The flexibility around exams is one of my favorite things about YLS. I just finished a 24-hour exam; in the midst of the exam, I got a full night's sleep, went out to lunch, TAed a class, and did my laundry. Except for the part where I had to leave my building, I did it all wearing pajamas. [All of this relaxation was helped a ton by the professor's 9-double-spaced-page limitation on our responses; he wanted us to read the questions, take time to think about what we wanted to say, jot down some notes, then come back to our outline and flush out our thoughts. It's much nicer to do that over 24 hours than crammed into 3 hours.]

Nice word choice in the bolded statement. :)

My mouth fell open, though, when I saw you refer to a 24-hour exam; glad that you clarified!

rabbit9198

Postby rabbit9198 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:45 am

managamy wrote:
rabbit9198 wrote:

Nice word choice in the bolded statement. :)

My mouth fell open, though, when I saw you refer to a 24-hour exam; glad that you clarified!

Professors here give all sorts of kinds of exams...3 hrs, 4 hrs, 6 hrs, 8 hrs, 24 hrs, and even 48 hrs. Some closed book, some open book, some open universe (you can consult whatever resources you want, do research, etc.).

Normally I'd be scared to death of a 24-hour exam, but having such a short length limit was enough to get me to sign on in this case. :)

mhopeful

Postby mhopeful » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:40 pm

Hi Rabbit9198--thanks so much for your insights! Out of curiosity, is it annoying having the exams after the break? I feel that you are going to want to study during the break for the exams, and then there goes all of your vacation....what are your thoughts on this?

Also in most classes are you allowed to opt out of in class exams to take them at home? Or what is the percentage approximately?

For someone who really hates exams...this all sounds amazing!

pinkhearts

Postby pinkhearts » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:31 pm

it seems like people are still sending in apps to yale, based upon the notion that you can apply later to yale. is there any merit to this? yale is a stretch with my numbers under any circumstances, but would putting out a app now be functionally the same as if it had gone out in oct with the rest of my apps?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGn3-RW8Ajk

I know it's for UG, but still <3

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:08 am

how long does it usually take for a "complete" email to come? i submitted early january..got an email about lsac around that time.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:10 am

englawyer wrote:how long does it usually take for a "complete" email to come? i submitted early january..got an email about lsac around that time.

Mine came 8 days after I submitted to lsac.

joshikousei

Postby joshikousei » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:27 am

pinkhearts wrote:it seems like people are still sending in apps to yale, based upon the notion that you can apply later to yale. is there any merit to this? yale is a stretch with my numbers under any circumstances, but would putting out a app now be functionally the same as if it had gone out in oct with the rest of my apps?

yes, there is merit to that. anecdotal evidence, so take it with a grain of salt: i waited until end of january/early february to apply - months after the rest of my applications. and so did a number of other people (who got in) that i know.

but don't take it from me. this is what ar writes in her blog:
Dear C.J.,

No, it is not too late to apply, and yes, you still have a chance.

First, our application deadline isn't until February 15, so you still have plenty of time to put your application together.

Second, as I've mentioned in a previous post, we have a unique admissions review system in which students are admitted in roughly equal numbers throughout the admissions season. In other words, although our admissions process is "rolling" in the sense that we give offers on an ongoing basis, your chances of admission remain roughly the same regardless of when you apply in the season. We do not fill the class until we have read all of the applications in the pool, so there is no way you can apply "too late."

So get to work and submit your application if you are interested in YLS -- we promise to give your application a thorough review!

--Asha

Kulax22

Postby Kulax22 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:15 am

Personally, I would imagine they must give some preference, even if it's small, to earlier applicants. To me, that would show the person cares about applying and has their act together. Not to excuse any hasty application in favor of a later, better one...

EDIT:
admitted in roughly equal numbers throughout the admissions season.

So does this mean if you submit early and don't hear anything by now, you're screwed :shock: :x

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”