Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
highprofessionalism

Re: Yale 2010

Postby highprofessionalism » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:42 pm

FYI: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lunita

No twitter updates. Still fantasizing about a "(203) got sidetracked again" tweet. Sigh.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:48 pm

highprofessionalism wrote:FYI: http://lawschoolnumbers.com/lunita

No twitter updates. Still fantasizing about a "(203) got sidetracked again" tweet. Sigh.

Sigh is right. I am just hoping for a WL now. If I get it I will withdraw from everywhere else and dedicate to waiting. In the mean time maybe I will sign up for the June test. Good luck with all your other decisions. I think I will turn off this online obsession and return to my cave until next year...

The Kid

Postby The Kid » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:I am just hoping for a WL now. If I get it I will withdraw from everywhere else and dedicate to waiting.

Is it required or would it be only a move to improve your chances?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:44 pm

The Kid wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I am just hoping for a WL now. If I get it I will withdraw from everywhere else and dedicate to waiting.

Neither. I think he is saying that if he doesn't get in, he will ride the Yale WL and if that doesn't work out, he will reapply. He took the Feb. LSAT and by re-applying early next cycle, he would improve his chances.

Boba Fett

Postby Boba Fett » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:12 pm

crackberry wrote:
The Kid wrote:

Neither. I think he is saying that if he doesn't get in, he will ride the Yale WL and if that doesn't work out, he will reapply. He took the Feb. LSAT and by re-applying early next cycle, he would improve his chances.

Guys, Yale isn't the only elite law school in town. HLS, SLS, CLS, Chicago, etc are just as good. I really don't see the sense in hitching your dreams solely to the YLS wagon, for that "Yale or bust" attitude leads to self-loathing the great majority of the time.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:16 pm

Boba Fett wrote:Guys, Yale isn't the only elite law school in town. HLS, SLS, CLS, Chicago, etc are just as good. I really don't see the sense in hitching your dreams solely to the YLS wagon, for that "Yale or bust" attitude leads to self-loathing the great majority of the time.

This post might very well be worth more than all of your other posts combined. I never thought that I'd say "+1" to something that you said, but...+1.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:21 pm

crackberry wrote:
The Kid wrote:

Isn't the conventional wisdom that, given the admissions process employed by YLS, applying early doesn't improve one's chances of admission as it does at other schools that employ very different admissions processes?

In any case, good luck to all still waiting. :D

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:22 pm

Are you guys sure the twitter meant that yesterday was the last round of acceptance calls (other than off the waitlist)?

Just saw the post here about the twitter...here I was thinking that every day I didn't get rejected meant I still had a shot :(

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:24 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Are you guys sure the twitter meant that yesterday was the last round of acceptance calls (other than off the waitlist)?

Just saw the post here about the twitter...here I was thinking that every day I didn't get rejected meant I still had a shot :(

We were just judging from past history; I don't believe that anyone knows for a certainty.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:25 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Are you guys sure the twitter meant that yesterday was the last round of acceptance calls (other than off the waitlist)? (

No, we're not sure. But if last year's pattern holds (no fresh acceptances after the second week of April), then the consensus on here is correct.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Do they send rejection/waitlist notifications by mail or e-mail?

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:27 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Are you guys sure the twitter meant that yesterday was the last round of acceptance calls (other than off the waitlist)?

We were just judging from past history; I don't believe that anyone knows for a certainty.

Pretty sure the Twitter strongly implied that the final admits -- at least, of this week -- would be coming out Monday and yesterday, no? :(

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:29 pm

tamlyric wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

Pretty sure the Twitter strongly implied that the final admits would be coming out Monday and yesterday, no? :(

It's implied only because of YLS's history. There's no reason that Yale couldn't do a round of admits, a round of waitlists, a round of rejections, and then another round of admits. Many schools (e.g., Chicago) proceed like that. But Yale is different.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:30 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Do they send rejection/waitlist notifications by mail or e-mail?

Usually, they're sent by mail; however, towards the end of the cycle (e.g., now), they're often sent by email.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Dignan wrote:
tamlyric wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

Pretty sure the Twitter strongly implied that the final admits would be coming out Monday and yesterday, no? :(

It's implied only because of YLS's history. There's no reason that Yale couldn't do a round of admits, a round of waitlists, a round of rejections, and then another round of admits. Many schools (e.g., Chicago) proceed like that. But Yale is different.

my goodness. you're like an admissions scientist:)

nawktasy

Postby nawktasy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:32 pm

We don't know for sure whether that was their last round of admits. However, they're finally sending out WLs this week, which they haven't done all cycle. In my opinion, this strongly implies that all applications have been reviewed and that the class is full. Who knows, hopefully I'm wrong!

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:36 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:
Dignan wrote:It's implied only because of YLS's history. There's no reason that Yale couldn't do a round of admits, a round of waitlists, a round of rejections, and then another round of admits. Many schools (e.g., Chicago) proceed like that. But Yale is different.

my goodness. you're like an admissions scientist:)

I am going to get my masters in admissions science if I don't get into Yale. Contrary to Herb's/Fett's claims, there is no reason to go to law school if you are rejected by YLS. I need an alternate career path.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Dignan's Tell It Like It Is Admissions Consulting.

you could wow your client base with little graphs with wavy lines indicating admissions waves and wait list releases. You could have profiles of admissions deans in a sidebar (don't forget to include their TLS alter egos :lol: )

I see the desperate parents of frat boys lining up. And dollar signs. Who needs a JD?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:41 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:Dignan's Tell It Like It Is Admissions Consulting.

you could wow your client base with little graphs with wavy lines indicating admissions waves and wait list releases. You could have profiles of admissions deans in a sidebar (don't forget to include their TLS alter egos :lol: )

I see the desperate parents of frat boys lining up. And dollar signs. Who needs a JD?

I'd be happy to co-author it with a little section on LSAT prep, PS advice, and resume tips.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:04 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
neimanmarxist wrote:Dignan's Tell It Like It Is Admissions Consulting.

I'd be happy to co-author it with a little section on LSAT prep, PS advice, and resume tips.

I had a hand in the making of this for the Something Awful law thread, the most honest conversation on law school and law school admissions. Although I don't really get why the faded URM circle is so big.

ivorynightfall

Postby ivorynightfall » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:05 pm

I just called - hell, why not? - and the guy who answered very matter of factly told me that there would be some more acceptances handed out. I asked point blank whether or not there would be more acceptances. He said that all admissions decisions will be made by next week, and when I pressed him on whether that meant no more acceptances (i.e. all waitlists/rejections) he said that "well I just said no."

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:11 pm

ivorynightfall wrote:I just called - hell, why not? - and the guy who answered very matter of factly told me that there would be some more acceptances handed out. I asked point blank whether or not there would be more acceptances. He said that all admissions decisions will be made by next week, and when I pressed him on whether that meant no more acceptances (i.e. all waitlists/rejections) he said that "well I just said no."

Take it from the horse's mouth, I guess. If you're wrong, though, you won't live it down for a long time.

lta

Postby lta » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:12 pm

ivorynightfall wrote:I just called - hell, why not? - and the guy who answered very matter of factly told me that there would be some more acceptances handed out. He initially said that all admissions decisions will be made by next week, and when I pressed him on whether that meant no more acceptances (i.e. all waitlists/rejections) he said that "well I just said no."

emotionalrollercoaster.com

lta

Postby lta » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:13 pm

ivorynightfall wrote:I just called - hell, why not? - and the guy who answered very matter of factly told me that there would be some more acceptances handed out. He initially said that all admissions decisions will be made by next week, and when I pressed him on whether that meant no more acceptances (i.e. all waitlists/rejections) he said that "well I just said no."

emotionalrollercoaster.com

ivorynightfall

Postby ivorynightfall » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:20 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
ivorynightfall wrote:I just called - hell, why not? - and the guy who answered very matter of factly told me that there would be some more acceptances handed out. I asked point blank whether or not there would be more acceptances. He said that all admissions decisions will be made by next week, and when I pressed him on whether that meant no more acceptances (i.e. all waitlists/rejections) he said that "well I just said no."

Take it from the horse's mouth, I guess. If you're wrong, though, you won't live it down for a long time.

I'm just quoting the guy. If I'm wrong, he was wrong. I pressed him fairly clearly and directly on the issue, so I don't think any error would be the result of miscommunication. Unless he was being intentionally misleading by continuously not stating directly that there would be some more acceptances handed out but implying so without meaning it. That seems a little too cruel...plus there might be a rule against stating such things directly in the office, hence the verbal dodging.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”