Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Gymnast0206
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Yale 2010

Postby Gymnast0206 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
I would hope for a tweet later along the line of "203 got sidetracked and did not make all the calls ... "



I'm cautiously optimistic that this is what happened. I would think more than five people would have updated the facebook group.

pleasepickme
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:58 am

Re: Yale 2010

Postby pleasepickme » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:
nawktasy wrote:Anyone else wishing they would send WLs/rejects today, too? Hehe. No, I know they must work hard up there, so that would be unreasonable. But, still. At about 5:44, I will simply start hoping for a WL. :D


I would hope for a tweet later along the line of "203 got sidetracked and did not make all the calls ... "


Or maybe "(203) didn't have time to call everyone because all TLS posters who have been following religiously are accepted!"

User avatar
Gymnast0206
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:16 am

Re: Yale 2010

Postby Gymnast0206 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:09 pm

pleasepickme wrote:
Or maybe "(203) didn't have time to call everyone because all TLS posters who have been following religiously are accepted!"



Even better!

User avatar
catwoman
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby catwoman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:14 pm

zabagabe wrote:In fairness to Bio (and Yale non-yuppies), we were also talking about farmers' markets and bringing fresh locally grown produce to urban areas that have little access to it. New Haven's only regular-sized grocery store recently closed (and it mostly opened in the first place due to the initiative of Yalies, among others). This is actually a serious problem for urban poor, because getting fresh produce in little off-licenses is ridiculously overpriced.

...Now if this also allows me to continue my yuppified ways, this is what I would call a seriously positive externality. ;)


...
Last edited by catwoman on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

nawktasy
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:21 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby nawktasy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Haha, ok, apparently I give up too easily. This should immediately disqualify me.

Last year's cycle on LSN didn't appear to show more than one or two acceptances in the last round. That said, someone earlier had made a comment that the FB group #s this year are not anywhere near last year's FB group #'s. So, who knows, maybe calls will still be made.

Despite the transparency of this process, I'm still curious about a few things. For example: how long do faculty reviews normally take? And do they take people with scores less than 11? And do they consider 11s (and maybe 9s and 10s) all at once at the end, hence the holding off on the WL? I ask because of the people who have survived one, even both rounds of rejections. Also, in March, they accepted some people who went complete in November. I had surmised that no faculty review could take four months, and so these people were likely 11s - but, you know what, I know nothing. Ah, the mystery.

User avatar
zabagabe
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 am

Re: Yale 2010

Postby zabagabe » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:24 pm

I think they're making calls again, b/c a friend of mine who'd gotten a voicemail yesterday got the follow-up call just a few minutes ago.

As for the facebook group, last year Yale admitted 25 more students than normal, so that might explain the increase? Also, bear in mind that there are people who are deferred, deferring, and from previous years in the group, so I don't think the group size is a very great estimator for the actual number of admitted students in the current cycle.

And re: Shaws, I certainly didn't mean to suggest it was just due to Yale students. I only meant to say that they, among other community groups, we involved in getting Shaws to come to New Haven. Good to know. :)

User avatar
eagles111
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:32 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby eagles111 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:30 pm

pleasepickme wrote:Or maybe "(203) didn't have time to call everyone because all TLS posters who have been following religiously are accepted!"


(203) was probably too busy refreshing the UNSWR leak thread all afternoon to make any calls. Gotta know how their school is doing.
Last edited by eagles111 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ranita
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:43 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby Ranita » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:35 pm

zabagabe wrote:
As for the facebook group, last year Yale admitted 25 more students than normal, so that might explain the increase?



I thought last year's jump from 180 to 200 was the new normal.

zabagabe wrote:
Also, bear in mind that there are people who are deferred, deferring, and from previous years in the group, so I don't think the group size is a very great estimator for the actual number of admitted students in the current cycle.



But that number should remain more or less constant from year to year, n'est-ce pas? The YLS 2013 group has deferrals from 2012, the YLS 2012 group had deferrals from 2011, etc.

User avatar
zabagabe
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 am

Re: Yale 2010

Postby zabagabe » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:55 pm

Ranita wrote:
zabagabe wrote:
As for the facebook group, last year Yale admitted 25 more students than normal, so that might explain the increase?



I thought last year's jump from 180 to 200 was the new normal.



I'm not certain of this, but I remember Rabbit saying the law school is physically pretty much fully crowded now and that it wouldn't be sustainable to do this again given the fixed size of the law school facilities. I think this was done primarily due to the downturn in the endowment last year...
Last edited by zabagabe on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichelledeMontaigne
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby MichelledeMontaigne » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:58 pm

zabagabe wrote:
Ranita wrote:
zabagabe wrote:
As for the facebook group, last year Yale admitted 25 more students than normal, so that might explain the increase?



I thought last year's jump from 180 to 200 was the new normal.

I'm not certain of this, but I remember Rabbit saying the law school is physically pretty much fully crowded now and that it wouldn't be sustainable to do this again given the fixed size of the law school facilities. I think this was done primarily due to the downturn in the endowment last year...


I never understood this line of reasoning. I've heard that attending these schools actually costs upwards of 70 000 and a student only pays around 45 for tuition and the rest comes from donations/endowment. So admitting more students would actually be worse, not better, for costs.

pleasepickme
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:58 am

Re: Yale 2010

Postby pleasepickme » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:03 pm

Damn, just checked my phone and no missed calls. Guess it's waitlist or rejection land for me!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:04 pm

Ya whose phone rang? Oh well good luck everyone in the coming days.

User avatar
zabagabe
Posts: 340
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:48 am

Re: Yale 2010

Postby zabagabe » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:04 pm

MichelledeMontaigne wrote:I never understood this line of reasoning. I've heard that attending these schools actually costs upwards of 70 000 and a student only pays around 45 for tuition and the rest comes from donations/endowment. So admitting more students would actually be worse, not better, for costs.


My guess is that most of the costs that bring tuition up to approximately $70k per student are fixed (facilities, faculty salaries, clinical costs, administrative costs, etc.). For 25 more students, they wouldn't need to hire any additional faculty or administrative staff, but they would bring in a lot of additional revenue over the next three years when the endowment would be likely to pay out less. In some ways it's much more admirable than making deep cuts to programs, as long as it truly doesn't affect the educational experience. No one I've talked to seems to find it detrimental, apart from the physical space issue.

allstarballer22
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby allstarballer22 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:05 pm

DId calls even go out??? I don't know of anybody that has heard a peep...Is there still hope for us non calls?

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:06 pm

le sigh, oh well. Luckily, I really enjoyed Harvard and probably will enjoy Stanford's ASW.

User avatar
Tony Obama
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:27 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby Tony Obama » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:06 pm

I would like to thank you all for your help. Without your collective insight, my cycle would not have been nearly as successful.

This is my first post. And will be my happiest post ever. As of 10 minutes ago I am IN at Yale Law School.

MichelledeMontaigne
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby MichelledeMontaigne » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:09 pm

zabagabe wrote:
MichelledeMontaigne wrote:I never understood this line of reasoning. I've heard that attending these schools actually costs upwards of 70 000 and a student only pays around 45 for tuition and the rest comes from donations/endowment. So admitting more students would actually be worse, not better, for costs.


My guess is that most of the costs that bring tuition up to approximately $70k per student are fixed (facilities, faculty salaries, clinical costs, administrative costs, etc.). For 25 more students, they wouldn't need to hire any additional faculty or administrative staff, but they would bring in a lot of additional revenue over the next three years when the endowment would be likely to pay out less. In some ways it's much more admirable than making deep cuts to programs, as long as it truly doesn't affect the educational experience. No one I've talked to seems to find it detrimental, apart from the physical space issue.


That makes sense.

User avatar
Boba Fett
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby Boba Fett » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:09 pm

Tony Obama wrote:As of 10 minutes ago I am IN at Yale Law School.


Good.

User avatar
bloodonthetracks
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby bloodonthetracks » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:11 pm

Tony Obama wrote:I would like to thank you all for your help. Without your collective insight, my cycle would not have been nearly as successful.

This is my first post. And will be my happiest post ever. As of 10 minutes ago I am IN at Yale Law School.


pretty sure all the calls are going to the people who've never posted on TLS (or heard of it).

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:11 pm

Tony Obama wrote:I would like to thank you all for your help. Without your collective insight, my cycle would not have been nearly as successful.

This is my first post. And will be my happiest post ever. As of 10 minutes ago I am IN at Yale Law School.


Congrats! :D

User avatar
dutchstriker
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:12 pm

Tony Obama wrote:I would like to thank you all for your help. Without your collective insight, my cycle would not have been nearly as successful.

This is my first post. And will be my happiest post ever. As of 10 minutes ago I am IN at Yale Law School.

Thanks for paying it forward.

But seriously, congrats.

allstarballer22
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:37 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby allstarballer22 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:12 pm

Who called you Asha?

User avatar
Tony Obama
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:27 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby Tony Obama » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Craig. Very friendly guy. And he did sound busy, so I would not be surprised if there were more calls coming.

User avatar
Boba Fett
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:09 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby Boba Fett » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:16 pm

Tony Obama wrote:Craig. Very friendly guy. And he did sound busy, so I would not be surprised if there were more calls coming.


Wrong. Craig is off today. I'm calling FLAME.

User avatar
Tony Obama
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:27 pm

Re: Yale 2010

Postby Tony Obama » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:20 pm

Best of luck to you anyway.

I wish you all the best.
Tony




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, j431e782, ramp_999 and 17 guests