Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dudester

Re: Yale 2010

Postby dudester » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:50 pm

a.shoshana wrote:Actually, I'm starting to think it is just me... has anyone else been complete since October and not heard anything?

I've been waiting since October.

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:51 pm

dudester wrote:
a.shoshana wrote:Actually, I'm starting to think it is just me... has anyone else been complete since October and not heard anything?

I've been waiting since October.

me too.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:51 pm

For me the only way I knew was through some people's various descriptions of themselves that I had retained. For example, I recognized owhlcn literally right away when we ended up in the same campus tour. Other than that, I didn't have any "oh, this person has to be ____" based on non-physical factors. You'll probably be able to retain a pretty solid level of anonymity outside of the boards unless you make an effort to out yourself as I did.

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:53 pm

GeePee wrote:For me the only way I knew was through some people's various descriptions of themselves that I had retained. For example, I recognized owhlcn literally right away when we ended up in the same campus tour. Other than that, I didn't have any "oh, this person has to be ____" based on non-physical factors. You'll probably be able to retain a pretty solid level of anonymity outside of the boards unless you make an effort to out yourself as I did.

yeah GP and i had this strange instant recognition thing going on, but it was only because there'd been some "here's what i look like" dialogue in the HLS thread. it was pretty funny regardless...

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:56 pm

GeePee wrote:Yeah! That was me! You should have said hi! We had a pretty awesome TLS meetup on Saturday night. Were your impressions as positive as mine?

(Honestly though, after posting the self-tar I got asked by about 10 lurkers if I was GeePee, which I thought was pretty funny. This was in addition to all the posters that recognized me)

I actually left with a really positive impression--much better than I expected. The people were pleasant and down-to-earth, the professors were fantastic. I really got the sense that there's this energy there, kind of like NYC, where there are so many options to excel in so many different ways. I've always been one to find my own path (i hate hand holding), so this was a huge positive. What were your impressions? (as we continue to sully the Yale thread)

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:58 pm

for shoshana:

does it really matter if you get into YLS? Isn't Columbia your top choice? Just curious.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:04 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
GeePee wrote:Yeah! That was me! You should have said hi! We had a pretty awesome TLS meetup on Saturday night. Were your impressions as positive as mine?

(Honestly though, after posting the self-tar I got asked by about 10 lurkers if I was GeePee, which I thought was pretty funny. This was in addition to all the posters that recognized me)

I actually left with a really positive impression--much better than I expected. The people were pleasant and down-to-earth, the professors were fantastic. I really got the sense that there's this energy there, kind of like NYC, where there are so many options to excel in so many different ways. I've always been one to find my own path (i hate hand holding), so this was a huge positive. What were your impressions? (as we continue to sully the Yale thread)

The first 4 people that I met while I waited for my campus tour were the "I'm probably going to Yale but I'm here anyway" types, and they were NOT shy about talking about their love of Yale. One of them straight up said to me that Harvard admissions were much easier than Yale after I had told them I had been dinged a few weeks ago (wtf?). I thought I was in for a long day. But after that probably 99 out of the next 100 people that I met were really approachable and had great things to say, even the ones that I could tell were of very different backgrounds/ideologies. I really had a great time for the rest of the weekend.

Beyond that, the professors absolutely blew me away. Obviously the professors that work at ASW are the ones that probably care the most about the students and really love to teach, but they were just on such another level. Even superstars like Elizabeth Warren and Dean Minow were very approachable and generally engaged with what I had to say.

/thread hijack (sorry!)

EDIT: And again, serious shoutout to my fellow TLS'ers. You guys were all unbelievably great and I hope to see all of you next year.
Last edited by GeePee on Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:09 pm

Gee Pee I remember the admitted students days I went to six years ago :wink: . I think the jockeying for "I got into all these hot #@!@ places and am so fabulous" is pretty ubiquitous at these things. I think it's a defense mechanism. you dun good. they should just wait & see. :)

a.shoshana

Postby a.shoshana » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:28 pm

Kronk wrote:for shoshana:

does it really matter if you get into YLS? Isn't Columbia your top choice? Just curious.

No, you're right, I'm very very set on Columbia. Just want everything to come in so this is all finally over.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:34 pm

One would think that students who are smart and interesting enough to get into YHS would have other things to talk about than which schools they have gotten into :(

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:38 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:One would think that students who are smart and interesting enough to get into YHS would have other things to talk about than which schools they have gotten into :(

+1 - GeePee's story makes me sad.

smashedpumpkins

Postby smashedpumpkins » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:38 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:One would think that students who are smart and interesting enough to get into YHS would have other things to talk about than which schools they have gotten into :(

Sadly untrue.

And, all the CCN kids can talk about is how they're more interesting/fun than the HYS kids, and I imagine it continues down the line.

The ASWs seem to bring out insecurity in tons of folks, but I've heard it goes away after the first semester or so.

Maybe I've just had bad experiences at the ASWs. :(

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Yale and Stanford spend so much time making sure everyone in their class is unique that no one has common interests to talk about.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:44 pm

smashedpumpkins wrote:

Sadly untrue.

And, all the CCN kids can talk about is how they're more interesting/fun than the HYS kids, and I imagine it continues down the line.

The ASWs seem to bring out insecurity in tons of folks, but I've heard it goes away after the first semester or so.

Maybe I've just had bad experiences at the ASWs. :(

No idea why I'm posting in the Y thread since I didn't even apply, but I noticed a reverse form of this at the CLS ASW -- these two obnoxious girls could not stop talking about whether or not they were going to get into Harvard as they (and everyone else they knew, apparently) were on hold. If you flew in from another state just to see a school, focus on that school to the exclusion of others at least for the two days you're there.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:45 pm

Kronk wrote:

Yale and Stanford spend so much time making sure everyone in their class is unique that no one has common interests to talk about.

I don't quite know about that. I met up with 4 other YLS admits a few weeks back, and we had a good time talking about The Wire, whole foods, and a number of other random topics :)

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:47 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
Kronk wrote:

I don't quite know about that. I met up with 4 other YLS admits a few weeks back, and we had a good time talking about The Wire, whole foods, and a number of other random topics :)

Way to conform to the stereotype.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:48 pm

crackberry wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
Kronk wrote:

lmao @ purporting to be from the Bay Area and still making fun of health food.

And also, to Bio, I was kidding.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:49 pm

crackberry wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Yeah. We're all basically yuppies.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:50 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
Kronk wrote:

I think this link is on point:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/full-list-of-stuff-white-people-like/

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:54 pm

I love Whole Foods, I'm the first to admit that. I was making fun of BioE for being a prototypical Berkeley hippie.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Dignan wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
Kronk wrote:

I think this link is on point:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/full-list-of-stuff-white-people-like/

God I love that blog. Barack Obama may be the most ingenious, but this is the most relevant. I laugh every time:

--LinkRemoved--

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:58 pm

Dignan wrote:I think this link is on point:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/full-li ... ople-like/

I thought the exact same thing midway through our conversation. I don't even remember how, but the topic of waterbirthing came up, too.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:40 pm

It wouldn't stop me from going to Yale, but I had another not-so-great experience of Yale-bound people. My friend and I were sitting at a table in a restaurant in Cambridge very close to another table of two people also talking about law schools. My friend and I were just casually chatting when the subject turned to Yale. My friend, at some point, said, "Yale is really good for academia, but Harvard does stress more practical applications of the law," and before I could respond, the guy at the table next to us said, rather loudly, to his friend, "I'll never understand why people think Yale is only good for academia, or that you can't just go practice afterward." We stopped and kind of looked at them, and they kept looking forward, having a conversation between the two of them that was essentially a response to what my friend said.

It was very surreal.

I also heard, on more than one occasion, a Yale admit saying, "I'm just here for the food."

There was another Yale admit who was very friendly and cool, if that helps....

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:44 pm

ConMan345 wrote:I also heard, on more than one occasion, a Yale admit saying, "I'm just here for the food."

Anything seriously wrong with that?

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:45 pm

In fairness to Bio (and Yale non-yuppies), we were also talking about farmers' markets and bringing fresh locally grown produce to urban areas that have little access to it. New Haven's only regular-sized grocery store recently closed (and it mostly opened in the first place due to the initiative of Yalies, among others). This is actually a serious problem for urban poor, because getting fresh produce in little off-licenses is ridiculously overpriced.

...Now if this also allows me to continue my yuppified ways, this is what I would call a seriously positive externality. ;)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”