Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Re: Yale 2010

Postby crackberry » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:40 pm

For some reason I thought a copy of your app went to three profs simultaneously. So what actually happens is it goes: Asha --> Prof. 1 --> Asha --> Prof. 2 --> Asha --> Prof. 3?

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:44 pm

I am glad this thread is alive again. It must mean tomorrow's the day the silence is broken! :o

I also thought the 3 faculty reviewers worked simultaneously...where are you guys getting this 'need to have a 5 to get to the third reviewer' bit?

On second thought, I'll just take your word for it--I've given up on trying to really understand the process. All I need to know now is IN or OUT.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:46 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
crackberry wrote:For some reason I thought a copy of your app went to three profs simultaneously. So what actually happens is it goes: Asha --> Prof. 1 --> Asha --> Prof. 2 --> Asha --> Prof. 3?

The way I understand it, your app is randomly stacked with other apps on a faculty desk. Once reviewed, they go back to admissions, who promptly sends that pile to professor #2. Upon returning to admissions, if you have a 5 or more you are sent on to a third faculty member.

Exactly. Something else that occurred to me regarding this numbers game: if they only accept 12s and 11s, they actually could reject the people who scored 3s on both of the first two reviewers, or a 2 and a 4. There's no possibility that those people could receive more than a composite 10. Or, if they wanted to play it a little safe, they could reject applicants who scored a 2 and a 3 and couldn't receive more than a composite 9. Just mulling the matter over...

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:47 pm

Lysis wrote:I also thought the 3 faculty reviewers worked simultaneously...where are you guys getting this 'need to have a 5 to get to the third reviewer' bit?

It's mentioned in the YLS profile on this site:

Yale’s process differs significantly from that of many other top schools, particularly in its commitment to have most admission decisions made by the faculty and its overt use of holistic numerical scoring. All applicants are first reviewed by Dean of Admissions, Asha Rangappa. From the full pool of applications, about 50-80 “presumptive admits” are given Dean Rangappa’s stamp of approval and are sent on for final review by the Faculty Admissions Committee chair (essentially a "free ride" to admission). The rest of the hopefuls are divided into two groups, with some 800-1,000 applications selected for faculty review (and the others set aside as likely rejections).

Applications selected for faculty review are read by three randomly chosen faculty members, who score each application on a scale from 2 to 4. Each of the three readers is “blind” to the assessment scores assigned by his or her peers, and faculty members are not given any specific instructions as to how to weigh specific aspects of an application – they are given free reign to consider whatever factors they think will build an interesting class of students. Each of the first two faculty readers receives approximately 50 applications, and it has been reported that faculty are given instructions to assign a 4 to the top quarter, 3 to the second quarter, and 2 to the bottom half. [If two faculty members give consecutive 2s, an applicant is rejected; the remaining files go on to a third member of the faculty, who scores 2-4 equally.] A cumulative score of 12 is guaranteed admission, and most who score an 11 are admitted as well. A number of current students report having had an awkward moment or two when a professor has matched their application to a “real” name and face that roams the hallways!

Due to the unique nature of Yale’s application review process, most applications are “under review” for longer than they might be at other schools. Even “presumptive admits” may hear back in 6-8 weeks at the earliest; some applications may not result in a final answer for many months. Yale is notorious for releasing many admissions decisions in mid-late April. However, it should be noted that applying earlier in the cycle does not provide any boost to an applicant’s chances of being admitted; while the school does give offers of admission on a rolling basis, it does not fill the class until after having read all applications submitted by February 15th.
Last edited by CardinalRules on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:47 pm

Lysis - if your cycle ended today, would it be H, S or C w/ Butler?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:48 pm

CardinalRules wrote:Which was?

Waiting at the US consulate in Chendu for my visa interview. We had to travel 1000 mile to apply for the visa in person. The consulate only opened two days a week for visa review, and each day only took about 30 applicants. There were no system for people waiting, you lined up, and they kicked you out after they close. We didn't get in for 2 weeks. Finally on the 5th day (the third week) they let me in as the last applicant because my parents begged them take me as we came from so far away. I ended up waiting for 2 more hours inside the consulate while the staff went out for lunch. My whole life hinged on that 1 decision, and I was fortunate enough that my application was granted. This was back when they had strict visa quotas, if you were denied once, you probably will never been able to be approved. I was 15, and life would have been completely different if I wasn't approved. This sort of feels like it. I can make the best case for myself by preparing a great application, but I still don't know what they are looking for. They could be picking slips out of a hat lol

I don't know why I was approved that day and why so many were denied (think the approval rate was lower than Yale's acceptance rate). I was 15, I was nervous, and I stuttered through the whole interview. Life is mysterious.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:Which was?

Waiting at the US consulate in Chendu for my visa interview. We had to travel 1000 mile to apply for the visa in person. The consulate only opened two days a week for visa review, and each day only took about 30 applicants. There were no system for people waiting, you lined up, and they kicked you out after they close. We didn't get in for 2 weeks. Finally on the 5th day (the third week) they let me in as the last applicant because my parents begged them take me as we came from so far away. I ended up waiting for 2 more hours inside the consulate while the staff went out for lunch. My whole life hinged on that 1 decision, and I was fortunate enough that my application was granted. This was back when they had strict visa quotas, if you were denied once, you probably will never been able to be approved. I was 15, and life would have been completely different if I wasn't approved. This sort of feels like it. I can make the best case for myself by preparing a great application, but I still don't know what they are looking for. They could be picking slips out of a hat lol

I don't know why I was approved that day and why so many were denied (think the approval rate was lower than Yale's acceptance rate). I was 15, I was nervous, and I stuttered through the whole interview. Life is mysterious.

You can even compare waiting for Yale to that moment? Wow. They should be flattered in New Haven.

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:54 pm

Ah, thanks. I'd note though that the Yale blog explanations don't mention this, and the TLS explanation is older and unsourced. (I'm not doing a good job about not thinking about this. I'm going to bed :P)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:04 am

CardinalRules wrote:You can even compare waiting for Yale to that moment? Wow. They should be flattered in New Haven.

This is a big deal for me. I decided to take a new direction in life. I have some aspirations that I feel could be best realized with an education at Yale. It wasn't easy to decide to get back in school, work my ass off, support my family, study for the LSAT at 3am... it is all for a new life. I feel that being able to attend Yale would be like the opportunity to come here and be who I wanted to be 2 decades ago ... Not to disrespect any other school, but so far I don't feel like I will have the same opportunities elsewhere. I am flattered they are actually looking at my file to be honest :)

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:04 am

Lysis wrote:Ah, thanks. I'd note though that the Yale blog explanations don't mention this, and the TLS explanation is older and unsourced. (I'm not doing a good job about not thinking about this. I'm going to bed :P)

Of everyone who hasn't heard from Yale, you are among those who have the least reason to be worried. If you don't get in, you'll be able to weep all the way to Cambridge or Palo Alto. Just keep things in perspective.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:05 am

Lysis wrote:Ah, thanks. I'd note though that the Yale blog explanations don't mention this, and the TLS explanation is older and unsourced. (I'm not doing a good job about not thinking about this. I'm going to bed :P)

Before answering my question I see.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:09 am

crackberry wrote:

Before answering my question I see.

He's stalling for time; can't you tell? :wink: It's a good tactic to practice in preparation for being a lawyer.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:51 am

CardinalRules wrote:

Of everyone who hasn't heard from Yale, you are among those who have the least reason to be worried. If you don't get in, you'll be able to weep all the way to Cambridge or Palo Alto. Just keep things in perspective.

Some of us will be weeping all the way to other cities.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:53 am

Dignan wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

That idea was precisely my point when telling him not to feel too worried; sorry if it came across the wrong way.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:57 am

CardinalRules wrote:That idea was precisely my point when telling him not to feel too worried; sorry if it came across the wrong way.

Some of us may be weeping at home. What do you have to say to that??? :P

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:07 am

CardinalRules wrote:
Dignan wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

That idea was precisely my point when telling him not to feel too worried; sorry if it came across the wrong way.

Haha. CR, you don't need to apologize. I misread this sentence: "Of everyone who hasn't heard from Yale, you are among those who have the least reason to be worried." I thought you were addressing this sentence not to Crackberry in particular, but to "everyone who hasn't heard from Yale." I thought you meant that those who had not heard from Yale have little reason to worry because we (as opposed to the nation's law school applicants who have no chance at Yale) are all headed to Palo Alto or Cambridge. My mistake.

Boba Fett

Postby Boba Fett » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:08 am

The Law School desperately needs money. Post is expanding the incoming class to 350. You've all been accepted. Congratulations!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:11 am

Boba Fett wrote:The Law School desperately needs money. Post is expanding the incoming class to 350. You've all been accepted. Congratulations!

I will gladly take standing room only admission even though I can't stand for more than 20 minutes at a time.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:04 am

Dignan wrote:Haha. CR, you don't need to apologize. I misread this sentence: "Of everyone who hasn't heard from Yale, you are among those who have the least reason to be worried." I thought you were addressing this sentence not to Crackberry in particular, but to "everyone who hasn't heard from Yale." I thought you meant that those who had not heard from Yale have little reason to worry because we (as opposed to the nation's law school applicants who have no chance at Yale) are all headed to Palo Alto or Cambridge. My mistake.

TBF, I think he was addressing Lysis and not me.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:24 am

crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:Haha. CR, you don't need to apologize. I misread this sentence: "Of everyone who hasn't heard from Yale, you are among those who have the least reason to be worried." I thought you were addressing this sentence not to Crackberry in particular, but to "everyone who hasn't heard from Yale." I thought you meant that those who had not heard from Yale have little reason to worry because we (as opposed to the nation's law school applicants who have no chance at Yale) are all headed to Palo Alto or Cambridge. My mistake.

TBF, I think he was addressing Lysis and not me.

You're right, of course. I need to stop finding ways to misread CR's post. I'm folding as badly as the Stanford women did in the second half against UConn.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:31 am

That was painful to watch. Jayne Appel was like 0-for-12 with 8 turnovers. Not a good way to close out your career.

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:34 am

Crackberry, I'm having a very hard time deciding between H and S (C is probably out). That's part of why I'm so eager to hear from Yale--an acceptance would make my decision a lot easier as it's my top choice.

I didn't mean to imply any sense of entitlement. I'm actually not too optimistic about Y at this point, but I'd like to move on to thinking about things like housing, summer plans, etc. and having this process drag on is frustrating for everyone. I'm totally aware of how lucky I am to have the choices I have, regardless of Yale's decision.

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:48 am

If I get into Yale I will explode. That would be awesome. It's also a much easier choice against my Northwestern full ride than Harvard. If I get into just Harvard, I feel like either choice might leave me wondering if I chose correctly (but I'm pretty sure I'll still choose Harvard). But you can't go wrong with Yale!

heyguys

Postby heyguys » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:55 am

FWIW, as great as it is here at YLS, if I were to have gotten a full scholly at a T10, I probably would have gone to YLS as a 0L, but as a 1L I would now counsel taking the full scholly assuming there aren't any absurd strings attached.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:05 am

heyguys wrote:FWIW, as great as it is here at YLS, if I were to have gotten a full scholly at a T10, I probably would have gone to YLS as a 0L, but as a 1L I would now counsel taking the full scholly assuming there aren't any absurd strings attached.

Even if you want to do low-paying work and will be covered by COAP? I'd love to hear your expanded thoughts, either here or in a PM. I'm trying to decide between HLS and the Hamilton right now. I feel like I would take Yale in a heartbeat, though.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”