Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dignan

Re: Yale 2010

Postby Dignan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:39 pm

ConMan345 wrote:Yeah, I agree for the most part. I don't think Asha-admits are done, considering she mentioned that the "very, very, very" last application she looked at two or three years ago was a presumptive admit.

Asha's comment is consistent with my speculation. As I wrote, I think that the admissions office is already done reviewing apps. In other words, I think that Asha has already looked at her "very, very very" last applicant and admitted them, threw them into the reject pile, or sent them on to faculty review.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:50 pm

Dignan wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:Yeah, I agree for the most part. I don't think Asha-admits are done, considering she mentioned that the "very, very, very" last application she looked at two or three years ago was a presumptive admit.

Asha's comment is consistent with my speculation. As I wrote, I think that the admissions office is already done reviewing apps. In other words, I think that Asha has already looked at her "very, very very" last applicant and admitted them, threw them into the reject pile, or sent them on to faculty review.

Now that I've thought about it more, Asha has probably read all of the applications, which doesn't necessarily mean that all Asha-admits have been contacted. Also, when you wrote, "The few late January/early February applicants who were Asha-admitted (e.g., tomhobbes, klein) have already been contacted," I took it to mean something like the first week or so of February, excluding the flood they get at the end.

I'm certainly not one of these people, so I'm not sure why I'm even bothering :P

ClaireBear

Postby ClaireBear » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Dignan wrote:Baseless speculation usually flourishes in the absence of information. PN and his "sources" have vanished, leaving a BS vacuum that must be filled. Here is my uninformed guess as to what is going on:

1. The YLS admissions office has reviewed all applications and sent all that qualify to faculty review.

2. The few late January/early February applicants who were Asha-admitted (e.g., tomhobbes, klein) have already been contacted. Everyone who gets accepted from here on out will have gone through faculty review.

3. There are probably hundreds of late January/early February applicants who were neither directly admitted nor sent to faculty review. All of these applicants are rejected, but YLS hasn't gotten around to mailing out the rejection letters yet. My guess-and it's only a guess--is that YLS takes a few days to prepare the rejection letters so that they can send them out in one large batch. This large rejection batch almost certainly goes out this week or next.

4. The late applicants who were sent to faculty review will trickle back to the admissions office as individual faculty finish up. The obvious acceptances will probably get informed on a rolling basis. The rejections and waitlists will probably get held and informed in a batch, probably around mid or late April.

5. Most applicants who applied before January and who have not heard back are probably destined for the waitlist. A few could still be rejected or accepted, depending on the quality of the late applicant pool.

Please critique/flame/amend as necessary.

From what I understand YLS doesn't do a lot of waitlists - its overwhelmingly mostly you're in or not.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:27 pm

ClaireBear wrote:
Dignan wrote:Baseless speculation usually flourishes in the absence of information. PN and his "sources" have vanished, leaving a BS vacuum that must be filled. Here is my uninformed guess as to what is going on:

1. The YLS admissions office has reviewed all applications and sent all that qualify to faculty review.

2. The few late January/early February applicants who were Asha-admitted (e.g., tomhobbes, klein) have already been contacted. Everyone who gets accepted from here on out will have gone through faculty review.

3. There are probably hundreds of late January/early February applicants who were neither directly admitted nor sent to faculty review. All of these applicants are rejected, but YLS hasn't gotten around to mailing out the rejection letters yet. My guess-and it's only a guess--is that YLS takes a few days to prepare the rejection letters so that they can send them out in one large batch. This large rejection batch almost certainly goes out this week or next.

4. The late applicants who were sent to faculty review will trickle back to the admissions office as individual faculty finish up. The obvious acceptances will probably get informed on a rolling basis. The rejections and waitlists will probably get held and informed in a batch, probably around mid or late April.

5. Most applicants who applied before January and who have not heard back are probably destined for the waitlist. A few could still be rejected or accepted, depending on the quality of the late applicant pool.

Please critique/flame/amend as necessary.

From what I understand YLS doesn't do a lot of waitlists - its overwhelmingly mostly you're in or not.

I hope you're right. And it would make sense, given their ~80% yield.

However, LSN data shows about as many waitlists as acceptances over the past two years (around 40 for each). Obviously, this is a small sample size... I'd love to hear your source.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:29 pm

dutchstriker wrote:However, LSN data shows about as many waitlists as acceptances over the past two years (around 40 for each). Obviously, this is a small sample size... I'd love to hear your source.

It was qouted in the How to get into top law schools book. They say they accept anywhere between 0 and 10 per year I think. I remember reading it.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:However, LSN data shows about as many waitlists as acceptances over the past two years (around 40 for each). Obviously, this is a small sample size... I'd love to hear your source.

It was qouted in the How to get into top law schools book. They say they accept anywhere between 0 and 10 per year I think. I remember reading it.

OK, well that's consistent with what I'm saying. You can have a lot of people on the waitlist but only accept a couple.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:37 pm

dutchstriker wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

OK, well that's consistent with what I'm saying. You can have a lot of people on the waitlist but only accept a couple.

I remember they also talk about most of the time they only take people off the wait list if someone has some circumstances that prevents them from taking their seat. I don't think people pay their deposit to Yale then don't show. So Yale's waitlist is probably the hardest to get off, and if you plan on going to law school this fall you probably shouldn't count on it.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
dutchstriker wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I remember they also talk about most of the time they only take people off the wait list if someone has some circumstances that prevents them from taking their seat. I don't think people pay their deposit to Yale then don't show. So Yale's waitlist is probably the hardest to get off, and if you plan on going to law school this fall you probably shouldn't count on it.

I suspect that Yale has a pretty high deferral rate. Perhaps that accounts for the waitlist acceptances?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:13 pm

notanumber wrote:
I suspect that Yale has a pretty high deferral rate. Perhaps that accounts for the waitlist acceptances?

Perhaps. The quotes in the book may not be that recent. I also remember reading they don't grant too many deferrals, so perhaps that has changed, and the waitlist acceptances were indeed intended to fill in for the deferred.

I take it no rejections went out for the past few days?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:
notanumber wrote:

Perhaps. The quotes in the book may not be that recent. I also remember reading they don't grant too many deferrals, so perhaps that has changed, and the waitlist acceptances were indeed intended to fill in for the deferred.

I take it no rejections went out for the past few days?

There were no reports of any rejections on TLS, LSN, or YLS twitter.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:27 pm

This definitely has a certain calm-before-the-storm feel.

expat

Postby expat » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Relax everybody...I'm sure the long silence doesn't mean anything

expat

Postby expat » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:30 pm

crackberry wrote:This definitely has a certain calm-before-the-storm feel.

Haha good timing/word choice

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:30 pm

crackberry wrote:This definitely has a certain calm-before-the-storm feel.

Yep. I hope they send out a big batch of rejections tomorrow, which would give the letter a chance of reaching the West Coast by Saturday. If I'm out, I'd like the band-aid ripped off quickly.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:38 pm

That's ... nice? Everything comes out at once, you are not going to be able to guess if you will get A, R or WL. Look like mostly rejections and waitlists though.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:That's ... nice? Everything comes out at once, you are not going to be able to guess if you will get A, R or WL. Look like mostly rejections and waitlists though.

Well, when a school has a 7% acceptance rate, it's always mostly rejections. There's no reason, however, to think that the late applicants will be accepted at a lower rate than the early applicants. I'm sure we'll see a few acceptances coming out of the final round of faculty review.
Last edited by Dignan on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Dignan wrote:
r6_philly wrote:That's ... nice? Everything comes out at once, you are not going to be able to guess if you will get A, R or WL. Look like mostly rejections and waitlists though.

Well, when a school has a 7% acceptance rate, it's always mostly rejections. There's no reason, however, to think that the late applicants will be accepted a lower rate than the early applicants. I'm sure we'll see a few acceptances coming out of the final round of faculty review.

It's interesting that they hold the rejections, because now you can't really guess if you are in faculty review or in the pile of rejects.

alleyoop86

Postby alleyoop86 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:03 pm

my guess is that they have all the faculty reviews done and they've already admitted the "for sure admits" from the late applicants who went through faculty review. now they're probably going through the faculty reviews of all the "close to admit" applications from the whole cycle that they've held onto and deciding which of these to actually admit vs waitlist vs reject.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:07 pm

alleyoop86 wrote:my guess is that they have all the faculty reviews done and they've already admitted the "for sure admits" from the late applicants who went through faculty review. now they're probably going through the faculty reviews of all the "close to admit" applications from the whole cycle that they've held onto and deciding which of these to actually admit vs waitlist vs reject.

In Ashaspeak, they may have finished the 12s and be going through the 11s.

ClaireBear

Postby ClaireBear » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:13 pm

YLS website states pretty explicitly that they don't have a large waitlist (all the way at the bottom of this page):

http://www.law.yale.edu/admissions/notification.htm

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:14 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
alleyoop86 wrote:my guess is that they have all the faculty reviews done and they've already admitted the "for sure admits" from the late applicants who went through faculty review. now they're probably going through the faculty reviews of all the "close to admit" applications from the whole cycle that they've held onto and deciding which of these to actually admit vs waitlist vs reject.

The suspense! I wish we can find out what number we got. There has been only one time when the wait was more excruciating than this...

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:33 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I am now expecting a rejection letter with a big 7 circled in red pen. Thanks, overanxious thread.

Hmm, yeah 7 would be pretty bad, given that 6 is the lowest you can get. Although just making it to faculty review is an accomplishment, in my opinion.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:35 pm

crackberry wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:I am now expecting a rejection letter with a big 7 circled in red pen. Thanks, overanxious thread.

Hmm, yeah 7 would be pretty bad, given that 6 is the lowest you can get. Although just making it to faculty review is an accomplishment, in my opinion.

You can't get a 6 because people who receive 2s from the first two faculty reviewers are automatically rejected without going to the third reviewer. Since 0 and 1 are not acceptable values, it is mathematically impossible to receive a 6.

Also, +1 on the accomplishment of reaching faculty review.
Last edited by CardinalRules on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:37 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Thus my 'seven' prediction. :|

Wouldn't it be worse to have an "11" on it and know that you were just a little less impressive than most of the other 11s and thus barely missed out?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:38 pm

r6_philly wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

The suspense! I wish we can find out what number we got. There has been only one time when the wait was more excruciating than this...

Which was?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”