Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
adameus

Re: Yale 2010

Postby adameus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:39 pm

r6_philly wrote:I will pay $1208 a month to have more career options. That's $100k, 10 years @ 7.9% fixed. That's IF the more expensive school will give me MORE career options. I pay over than that a month just to keep a very old and crappy house in a very very undesirable area, in the grand scheme of things, $1208 a month is not a back breaker. I think I pay more than that in utilities per month :|
I think Yale/Harvard/Stanford is worth $14000 a year more after graduation. But that's just me. I'd gladly squeeze that amount out of my budget just so I could have the career options, if I had the opportunity to attend.

Wow! Are you running a grow-op?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Just to put it in perspective, many doctors and lawyers will GLADLY hand over more than that a month in property taxes just so they can buy a comparable house in a better school district.

I am charged over $500 a month for property/school tax a month, and I wouldn't send my dog to that school. 6th grade reading/math proficiency are both lower than 30%.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:41 pm

adameus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I will pay $1208 a month to have more career options. That's $100k, 10 years @ 7.9% fixed. That's IF the more expensive school will give me MORE career options. I pay over than that a month just to keep a very old and crappy house in a very very undesirable area, in the grand scheme of things, $1208 a month is not a back breaker. I think I pay more than that in utilities per month :|
I think Yale/Harvard/Stanford is worth $14000 a year more after graduation. But that's just me. I'd gladly squeeze that amount out of my budget just so I could have the career options, if I had the opportunity to attend.

Seriously. My rent in the Bay Area is only $750/month.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:44 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:Seriously. My rent in the Bay Area is only $750/month.

TBF, you live in the EasTTT Bay.

EijiMiyake

Postby EijiMiyake » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:I have to agree with Zabagabe here. $150,000 is a lot of money, and the career prospects from CCN aren't much different than YHS (assuming an applicant wants to work as an attorney). YHS separate themselves in their ability to place students in academia and in clerkships.

And yes, as a 21-year-old I am not nearly as debt-averse as many people on TLS.

I will pay $1208 a month to have more career options. That's $100k, 10 years @ 7.9% fixed. That's IF the more expensive school will give me MORE career options. I pay over than that a month just to keep a very old and crappy house in a very very undesirable area, in the grand scheme of things, $1208 a month is not a back breaker. I think I pay more than that in utilities per month :|

It's possible that it's worth it - but I don't think any of us would think that YHS vs. full-ride at CCN is an "easy" decision (for those that are fortunate enough to have that decision).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:50 pm

adameus wrote:

If I was, I wouldn't be complaining ;)

Gas/Elec. in the winter about 400, water 120, cable/internet 150, phones/cellphones 200, thats about 900 + landscaping, incidentals, reserve for appliances thats about 12k-15k a year. My house is 1200 sf and 1/8 acre. And I try to conserve too :( it's expensive to keep a home man...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:05 pm

EijiMiyake wrote:

It's possible that it's worth it - but I don't think any of us would think that YHS vs. full-ride at CCN is an "easy" decision (for those that are fortunate enough to have that decision).

It is absolutely not an easy decision, not even for me. I would have to agonize over it for many nights. But at the end, my rationale would be the same, it is worth it if it gives me more options. It will probably not be worth for many that want to pursue things that CCN can provide just as well. However for some other paths, ones that I aspire to explore, Y/H do indeed, at least on the surface, enjoy great advantages over others. I didn't get back in school at 31 to just upgrade a career, I really wanted to be someone and do something meaningful, so money is only a secondary factor for me. I have been very poor in the past, poorer than any of you can imagine, so I absolutely understand the value of money and debt, however, to have some opportunities in life is invaluable. I was shut out of those opportunities when I was young like most of you, and I am willing to pay whatever price to have them now going forward.

Pausanias

Postby Pausanias » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:21 pm

crackberry wrote:

Hilaaarious!

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Pausanias wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Hilaaarious!

You live in BalTTTimore :D If I recall, Wallace died there (spoiler alert).

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:it is worth it if it gives me more options.

your rationale is kinda ironic for me. i can count at least 4 ppl whom i've had convos w/ about my decision (HYS vs UM's darrow) who focused on the options issue, but in a very different way: whereas coming out w/ a $130K debt burden might compel a person to work at a firm for multiple years immediately after law school, coming out w/ only $30 in debt might let him feel free to do one of a number of other things; in effect, they were saying that i might feel like i have more options by taking michigan's offer. i know LRAPs are supposed to counter the firm-route impulse, but i don't know...i strongly suspect that the 100K+ would weigh on me so much that i'd just want to shed it as quickly as possible.

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:51 pm

crackberry wrote:

Before you hate on the East Bay, I've lived on both sides and rent is pretty close to as expensive in the Berkeley area of the East Bay as in the Stanford area of the Peninsula. The main difference is food is cheaper (and WAY better) in the East Bay. Not to McDonald's index this, but Yogurtland is $.30 per ounce in Berkeley and $.43 per ounce in Palo Alto. Price gouging, anyone?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:11 pm

zabagabe wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Before you hate on the East Bay, I've lived on both sides and rent is pretty close to as expensive in the Berkeley area of the East Bay as in the Stanford area of the Peninsula. The main difference is food is cheaper (and WAY better) in the East Bay. Not to McDonald's index this, but Yogurtland is $.30 per ounce in Berkeley and $.43 per ounce in Palo Alto. Price gouging, anyone?

Haha, I was just giving BioE a hard time. I love Berkeley (but I hate the Bears).

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:15 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:I have to agree with Zabagabe here. $150,000 is a lot of money, and the career prospects from CCN aren't much different than YHS (assuming an applicant wants to work as an attorney). YHS separate themselves in their ability to place students in academia and in clerkships.

+1. I talked to a 3L at CLS who turned down HLS, and a Hamilton or Butler wasn't involved; CLS offered him $40K. He doesn't regret his decision at all. He is a native Californian interested in IP law, and he's got a firm job lined up with the top IP firm in Southern California (which was his target market). CLS doesn't rank, so he wasn't exactly sure how he compared to his classmates, but he estimated top 30%-40%. Given his interest in IP law, he's convinced that HLS would have given him no advantages over CLS.

If you're interested in academia, elite government jobs, or certain types of appellate litigation, then HYS (particularly Y) offer substantial advantages that are worth paying something for. But for many careers in law, it's difficult to argue that the difference between HYS and CCN is worth $150K.

eagles111

Postby eagles111 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:18 pm

YLSAdmissions tweet: A few offers this evening and more tomorrow.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:25 pm

eagles111 wrote:YLSAdmissions tweet: A few offers this evening and more tomorrow.

I was talking about this with Dignan via PM earlier, but I think I'm more anxiously awaiting the next wave of rejections than I am anticipating a phone call any time in the next couple of weeks. We are still at a time when I think I would have to be Asha-admitted to get a call (which is unlikely, to say the least), but I think the next wave of rejections will probably include some people who went complete around the same time I did.

As such, if I can avoid the next wave of rejections (and my assumption that it will include early/mid March completes is correct), I'll be relatively confident that I made it to faculty review. I absolutely do not expect to be Asha-admitted, but I think my chances go up if I can make it to the faculty.

Anyway - good luck today and tomorrow guys. We're in the home stretch now.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:34 pm

Peter North wrote:YLS has become more comical and oblique with all these over-hyped "tweets". :roll:

What a joke YLS has become... either drop the ding bomb or STFU. Or at least give us a timeline, foolz.

For some reason, I found this post quite comical, given your latest post in the Harvard thread:

Peter North wrote:FYI: For HLS it doesn't really matter when someone applies...

There's no playbook or definitive timeline, when it comes to HLS admissions (despite the sheer fact that the "app complete" e-mails projects timeline)...

Anything can happen, anytime... just go with the flow.

Double standard FTW?

Pausanias

Postby Pausanias » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:37 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
Pausanias wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Hilaaarious!

You live in BalTTTimore :D If I recall, Wallace died there (spoiler alert).

You wouldn't have your favorite show without our nation's syphilis capitol, socal.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:43 pm

clyde_barrow wrote:
r6_philly wrote:it is worth it if it gives me more options.

your rationale is kinda ironic for me. i can count at least 4 ppl whom i've had convos w/ about my decision (HYS vs UM's darrow) who focused on the options issue, but in a very different way: whereas coming out w/ a $130K debt burden might compel a person to work at a firm for multiple years immediately after law school, coming out w/ only $30 in debt might let him feel free to do one of a number of other things; in effect, they were saying that i might feel like i have more options by taking michigan's offer. i know LRAPs are supposed to counter the firm-route impulse, but i don't know...i strongly suspect that the 100K+ would weigh on me so much that i'd just want to shed it as quickly as possible.

I think that's why top law schools like to include people with different perspectives. I would have probably felt the same way when I was young like most of you. Many things happened and I feel different now. I am actually quite fortunate to be able to use the perspective and experiences I have gained to "do over" my career choice, so I absolutely will not let $1200 a month dictate my choice. It's a consideration, but absolutely not the top one. Consider it costs $600 or more a month just to drive an entry level luxury car... Don't forget I'm 33 lol I fully get where you come from.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Peter North wrote:LOL!!! Good catch, crackberry. :D

The thing is... HLS is notorious for being sporadic, when it comes to dings and JR1s/JR2s. YLS, however, with all their tweets drumming up excitement (including taking futile jabs @ HLS with all that acceptances during ASW and all) is becoming rather comical. Pretty 'unbecoming' for the # school, IMO. :)

Btw, crackberry, I've been meaning to ask you... why don't you go to your alma mater Stanford? Or are you hellbent on H/Y? Just wondering...

Wait a second, both Stanford and Yale are so much more "sporadic" than Harvard is. Where do you get the opposite impression? Yale certainly is the most snarky of the three with their admissions tweets, and I think not everyone agrees with you that it's unbecoming. I think a lot of us find them funny. But anyway, Yale and Stanford are more "notorious" (to use your word) for taking forever to WL and reject a ton of applicants (and to provide some late acceptances) than Harvard is. I think that's pretty well backed up by LSN.

And I am totally, completely hellbent on Harvard. Harvard is the best. It is incredible. It has so much lay prestige. In fact, I don't even want to be a lawyer; I just want to pick up girls at bars and being able to say I go to Harvard Law School is clearly the best way to do that. I want Harvard and nothing else.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:46 pm

crackberry wrote:
Peter North wrote:LOL!!! Good catch, crackberry. :D

The thing is... HLS is notorious for being sporadic, when it comes to dings and JR1s/JR2s. YLS, however, with all their tweets drumming up excitement (including taking futile jabs @ HLS with all that acceptances during ASW and all) is becoming rather comical. Pretty 'unbecoming' for the # school, IMO. :)

Btw, crackberry, I've been meaning to ask you... why don't you go to your alma mater Stanford? Or are you hellbent on H/Y? Just wondering...

Wait a second, both Stanford and Yale are so much more "sporadic" than Harvard is. Where do you get the opposite impression? Yale certainly is the most snarky of the three with their admissions tweets, and I think not everyone agrees with you that it's unbecoming. I think a lot of us find them funny. But anyway, Yale and Stanford are more "notorious" (to use your word) for taking forever to WL and reject a ton of applicants (and to provide some late acceptances) than Harvard is. I think that's pretty well backed up by LSN.

And I am totally, completely hellbent on Harvard. Harvard is the best. It is incredible. It has so much lay prestige. In fact, I don't even want to be a lawyer; I just want to pick up girls at bars and being able to say I go to Harvard Law School is clearly the best way to do that. I want Harvard and nothing else.

So are you saying that you would easily pick HLS over YLS :) ?

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:49 pm

crackberry wrote:And I am totally, completely hellbent on Harvard. Harvard is the best. It is incredible. It has so much lay prestige. In fact, I don't even want to be a lawyer; I just want to pick up girls at bars and being able to say I go to Harvard Law School is clearly the best way to do that. I want Harvard and nothing else.

<3 cb

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:49 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
crackberry wrote:Wait a second, both Stanford and Yale are so much more "sporadic" than Harvard is. Where do you get the opposite impression? Yale certainly is the most snarky of the three with their admissions tweets, and I think not everyone agrees with you that it's unbecoming. I think a lot of us find them funny. But anyway, Yale and Stanford are more "notorious" (to use your word) for taking forever to WL and reject a ton of applicants (and to provide some late acceptances) than Harvard is. I think that's pretty well backed up by LSN.

So are you saying that you would easily pick HLS over YLS :) ?

In a heartbeat. Come on! It's Harvard! Have the bums on the street in Berkeley ever heard of Yale Law School? I think not. But I bet they've heard of Harvard Law School! See, Harvard has so much more lay prestige than any other school; it must be the best choice.

Pausanias

Postby Pausanias » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:07 pm

crackberry wrote:And I am totally, completely hellbent on Harvard. Harvard is the best. It is incredible. It has so much lay prestige. In fact, I don't even want to be a lawyer; I just want to pick up girls at bars and being able to say I go to Harvard Law School is clearly the best way to do that. I want Harvard and nothing else.

How very meta.

But all joking aside, I think that one o f Yale's benefits is that it is by far number one, but at the same time doesn't have that overpowering effect on the laity, which requires a sort of douchey faux humility like the H-bomb does. It's vaguely impressive, but only the illuminati know just how impressive.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:10 pm

crackberry wrote:In a heartbeat. Come on! It's Harvard! Have the bums on the street in Berkeley ever heard of Yale Law School? I think not. But I bet they've heard of Harvard Law School! See, Harvard has so much more lay prestige than any other school; it must be the best choice.

+1. Harvard is the best. When I told my grandmother that I was applying to law school, did she first ask if I was applying to Stanford? No. Did she ask if I was applying to Yale? No way. She wanted to know if I was heading to the most prestigious law school in the history of the world. This proves that H > Y/S.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:11 pm

Pausanias wrote:

How very meta.

But all joking aside, I think that one o f Yale's benefits is that it is by far number one, but at the same time doesn't have that overpowering effect on the laity, which requires a sort of douchey faux humility like the H-bomb does. It's vaguely impressive, but only the illuminati know just how impressive.

How very meta-congratulatory ;)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”