Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: Yale 2010

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:41 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
r6_philly wrote:On LSN some people put $$$ info next to their Yale acceptance. I thought Yale doesn't give out any money? Unless it is need based aid but why would people put that on LSN?

It is all need based, but I guess some people think it's useful to put info about their need-based aid on LSN. Or they want to make it seem like they got a merit scholarship.

Wow 120k of need-based aid? I think I'd have to apply to cooley to get that kind of merit offer! Please admit me! :mrgreen:

Whose profile are you looking at? 120k sounds suspicious. I heard somewhere that the max they give is 20k per year.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/gwb I guess this one is suspect.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/clydebarrow this one has $76k

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:27 pm

mine is need-based over 3 years -- prospectively -- and i explain that in my LSN. (HYS don't give merit-based; y'all know that. don't get excited now.)

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:39 pm

perhaps worth noting that the number i listed is probably too high. if i spend my 2L summer working at a firm -- which i'm thinking i may try to do -- then that number would presumably drop to around $50K, since YLS would almost certainly eliminate my grant for my 3L year in that case.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:42 pm

BenJ wrote:Got my rejection letter today after my undergrad finally delivered the mail, dated 3/16. No surprise.

Sorry, BenJ :( :( You're having a rockin' cycle though. I'm sure you'll get either H or S, and worst case, NYU for free?? :D

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:why would people put [need-based aid] on LSN?

i guess i did b/c, in pure exhibitionist fashion, i seem now to be using LSN to display my law school application/decision process. and need-based $$$ is certainly a factor in my decision.

PS, sorry BenJ. i was rooting for you too.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:03 am

clyde_barrow wrote:

i guess i did b/c, in pure exhibitionist fashion, i seem now to be using LSN to display my law school application/decision process. and need-based $$$ is certainly a factor in my decision.

Thanks for clarifying. I figured that since everyone's familial circumstance would be so different it wouldn't really serve as a guide as much as merit based aid would. But even $20k a year would be awesome coupled with the LRAP. Congrats! I can keep hoping :)

CoaltoNewCastle

Postby CoaltoNewCastle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:13 am

BenJ wrote:Got my rejection letter today after my undergrad finally delivered the mail, dated 3/16. No surprise.

Sorry about that, BenJ. Good luck with your other schools.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:36 am

Tough luck, BenJ. Rooting for you re. SLS.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:39 am

lawyering wrote:

Sorry, BenJ :( :( You're having a rockin' cycle though. I'm sure you'll get either H or S, and worst case, NYU for free?? :D

I wish I had NYU for free. Only $15k a year, and I wasn't even a finalist for the environmental law scholars program. But I think I'm going with NYU anyway. I just don't have enough time to get into H or S before having to commit to NYU, and I'm really happy with NYU as a school, probably enough to give up the top three even if I got in at this point. Stanford needs to act fast if they want me. I've had a good enough cycle to be very satisfied, definitely.

I basically knew the rejection letter would be there, so this isn't a disappointment, really.

rupert.pupkin

Postby rupert.pupkin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:43 am

BenJ wrote:
lawyering wrote:

I wish I had NYU for free. Only $15k a year, and I wasn't even a finalist for the environmental law scholars program. But I think I'm going with NYU anyway. I just don't have enough time to get into H or S before having to commit to NYU, and I'm really happy with NYU as a school, probably enough to give up the top three even if I got in at this point. Stanford needs to act fast if they want me. I've had a good enough cycle to be very satisfied, definitely.

I basically knew the rejection letter would be there, so this isn't a disappointment, really.

From what I can tell, the NYU intent to enroll only requires that you withdraw acceptances. If you're still waiting on H/S, I don't think you'll need to give up yet on Friday. Worst case you just eat the 500 bucks.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:51 am

rupert.pupkin wrote:
BenJ wrote:
lawyering wrote:

From what I can tell, the NYU intent to enroll only requires that you withdraw acceptances. If you're still waiting on H/S, I don't think you'll need to give up yet on Friday. Worst case you just eat the 500 bucks.

At this point, I just want things to be over. I know Harvard is going to waitlist me, and my begging at Stanford is probably not enough to overcome my GPA and mediocre softs. Plus, NYU was amazing at the ASD. I think I'd be really happy at NYU, something I doubt at Harvard (and Columbia). I could also see myself happy at Stanford, but I need closure. Stanford, unless they act quickly, isn't giving me that, and the uncertainty of depositing at NYU and then still waiting would be really painful.

This assumes I don't get a deadline extension at NYU, of course.

This concludes our interlude on the life and times of BenJ. Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming of the few and the proud still in contention at Yale. (Sorry about the threadjack.)

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:08 am

By the way, thanks everyone for being so nice and encouraging :)

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:19 am

BenJ wrote:By the way, thanks everyone for being so nice and encouraging :)

You the man, Ben. NYU is awesome (one of my best friends from HS is likely going next year), and you still have a good shot at HLS and SLS.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:23 am

BenJ wrote:
At this point, I just want things to be over. I know Harvard is going to waitlist me, and my begging at Stanford is probably not enough to overcome my GPA and mediocre softs. Plus, NYU was amazing at the ASD. I think I'd be really happy at NYU, something I doubt at Harvard (and Columbia). I could also see myself happy at Stanford, but I need closure. Stanford, unless they act quickly, isn't giving me that, and the uncertainty of depositing at NYU and then still waiting would be really painful.

You're an adult who doesn't need a lecture from some anonymous message board poster, but I'm going to take a shot anyway: Don't withdraw from Stanford just because you feel that you need "closure." When you look back at this period in a few years (and maybe even within a few months), you're probably going to find that the uncertainty and pain you are now worried about is a very trivial matter. The downside of another few days of uncertainty is well worth enduring for the chance of going to a school like Stanford. Don't needlessly close doors that you can't reopen.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:03 am

Dignan wrote:
BenJ wrote:

You're an adult who doesn't need a lecture from some anonymous message board poster, but I'm going to take a shot anyway: Don't withdraw from Stanford just because you feel that you need "closure." When you look back at this period in a few years (and maybe even within a few months), you're probably going to find that the uncertainty and pain you are now worried about is a very trivial matter. The downside of another few days of uncertainty is well worth enduring for the chance of going to a school like Stanford. Don't needlessly close doors that you can't reopen.

I second this. You have nothing to gain from withdrawing from Stanford and, arguably, a lot to lose. Don't do it.

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:14 pm

Dignan wrote:
BenJ wrote:

+1. Not to mention I have it from a reliable source that Stanford is still going to hand out 20% of their acceptances which means a significant number of people are going to be admitted in the next few weeks. I understand if you don't want to sit on the waitlist for all summer, but at least wait and see what Stanford's inital response is.

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:37 pm

clyde_barrow wrote:

I think this makes a lot of sense. When people are looking at each other's decision-making process, it's a lot easier to see why someone, for example, turned down a Hamilton at CLS if they got $75k in aid from YLS. Conversely, it's easier to see why someone would choose a full merit at a lower-ranked school over no aid at a higher. Obviously not helpful as apples to apples comparisons, but still useful information to have (it's also, incidentally, good to know how much you can potentially get in need-based aid!).

TheWire

Postby TheWire » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:55 pm

can someone link me the yale blog por favor?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:06 pm

TheWire wrote:can someone link me the yale blog por favor?

Here is the Yale Admissions blog:
http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/default.aspx

And here is the Yale Admissions twitter:
http://twitter.com/ylsadmissions

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:10 pm

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:46 pm

zabagabe wrote:
clyde_barrow wrote:

I think this makes a lot of sense. When people are looking at each other's decision-making process, it's a lot easier to see why someone, for example, turned down a Hamilton at CLS if they got $75k in aid from YLS. Conversely, it's easier to see why someone would choose a full merit at a lower-ranked school over no aid at a higher. Obviously not helpful as apples to apples comparisons, but still useful information to have (it's also, incidentally, good to know how much you can potentially get in need-based aid!).

I hope YHS are distintive enough from CCN that one would make the decision based not on money matters. I understand it is a lot of money (well if you are 30+ $100k is well, not much in the grand scheme of things for the RIGHT education). I think if someone really wanted to go to Yale, but got a Hamilton, and ultimately chose C over Y because of the money it would be a mistake (if the reason he/she wants Yale is more than prestige). I don't know, I am biased because at this point I know exactly what I want and money isn't going to change that decision at least not between my top choices and my targets. It is just my perspective though, so it won't apply to everyone if anyone else at all.

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:36 pm

I think it just depends on the person. I have to think there are a number of admits out there whose preferences about schools are close enough that $50-100k could swing the decision, especially since you have to add interest payments to that. I think it's much easier for us on the pre-crushing debt side of things to paint it as an obvious choice, but I'm *sure* in 5 years I will be more cautious about advising people to choose the full loans school over the free ride school. I also think loans look a lot more daunting when you're inching toward your late 20s/early 30s than in your early 20s, because presumably you have fewer work years and less time to pay it off before starting a family, etc. I don't think it's a coincidence it seems to be the 21-year-olds straight out of undergrad who are the least debt averse and most prestige-oriented.

On the other hand, a number of profs I've spoken to have all said not to worry about the loans, but they're tenured law professors, so it all worked out well for them. ;)

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:17 pm

zabagabe wrote:I think it just depends on the person. I have to think there are a number of admits out there whose preferences about schools are close enough that $50-100k could swing the decision, especially since you have to add interest payments to that. I think it's much easier for us on the pre-crushing debt side of things to paint it as an obvious choice, but I'm *sure* in 5 years I will be more cautious about advising people to choose the full loans school over the free ride school. I also think loans look a lot more daunting when you're inching toward your late 20s/early 30s than in your early 20s, because presumably you have fewer work years and less time to pay it off before starting a family, etc. I don't think it's a coincidence it seems to be the 21-year-olds straight out of undergrad who are the least debt averse and most prestige-oriented.

On the other hand, a number of profs I've spoken to have all said not to worry about the loans, but they're tenured law professors, so it all worked out well for them. ;)

I have to agree with Zabagabe here. $150,000 is a lot of money, and the career prospects from CCN aren't much different than YHS (assuming an applicant wants to work as an attorney). YHS separate themselves in their ability to place students in academia and in clerkships.

And yes, as a 21-year-old I am not nearly as debt-averse as many people on TLS.

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:19 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
zabagabe wrote:I think it just depends on the person. I have to think there are a number of admits out there whose preferences about schools are close enough that $50-100k could swing the decision, especially since you have to add interest payments to that. I think it's much easier for us on the pre-crushing debt side of things to paint it as an obvious choice, but I'm *sure* in 5 years I will be more cautious about advising people to choose the full loans school over the free ride school. I also think loans look a lot more daunting when you're inching toward your late 20s/early 30s than in your early 20s, because presumably you have fewer work years and less time to pay it off before starting a family, etc. I don't think it's a coincidence it seems to be the 21-year-olds straight out of undergrad who are the least debt averse and most prestige-oriented.

I have to agree with Zabagabe here. $150,000 is a lot of money, and the career prospects from CCN aren't much different than YHS (assuming an applicant wants to work as an attorney). YHS separate themselves in their ability to place students in academia and in clerkships.

#$#@ing youngster. I didn't even start undergrad until I was 2 months short of 20....

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:37 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:I have to agree with Zabagabe here. $150,000 is a lot of money, and the career prospects from CCN aren't much different than YHS (assuming an applicant wants to work as an attorney). YHS separate themselves in their ability to place students in academia and in clerkships.

I will pay $1208 a month to have more career options. That's $100k, 10 years @ 7.9% fixed. That's IF the more expensive school will give me MORE career options. I pay over than that a month just to keep a very old and crappy house in a very very undesirable area, in the grand scheme of things, $1208 a month is not a back breaker. I think I pay more than that in utilities per month :|

I think Yale/Harvard/Stanford is worth $14000 a year more after graduation. But that's just me. I'd gladly squeeze that amount out of my budget just so I could have the career options, if I had the opportunity to attend.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”