Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: Yale 2010

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:13 pm

ConMan345 wrote:Does anyone have a time machine? I'd really like to know what Yale is going to do with me so I can move on with my life.

If you find out that Yale would not accept you, would you use the time machine to travel back in time so you could skip sending the application?

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:Does anyone have a time machine? I'd really like to know what Yale is going to do with me so I can move on with my life.

If you find out that Yale would not accept you, would you use the time machine to travel back in time so you could skip sending the application?

No, because I'd still have completed the app for all intents and purposes in my memory, then I'd just have to relive the past month and a half. If I could go back and assume who I was then and not apply, then I'd always regret not at least trying.
:wink:

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:56 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
I would argue that getting waitlisted at Michigan is a greater accomplishment than getting a Darrow there.

Yesssssssss 8)

All the cool kids got the WL from Michigan.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:01 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
I would argue that getting waitlisted at Michigan is a greater accomplishment than getting a Darrow there.

Yesssssssss 8)

The "In" crowd is really the WLs

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:33 am

r6_philly wrote:

If you find out that School X would not accept you, would you use the time machine to travel back in time so you could skip sending the application?

Maybe I'm missing something subtle, but that one sounds like a "duh" to me.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:39 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:

Yesssssssss 8)

There's no way that's possible, as I'm going to get one soon and I'm a loser.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:43 am

CardinalRules wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

If you find out that School X would not accept you, would you use the time machine to travel back in time so you could skip sending the application?

I suppose if I could go back in time, tell my old self that I won't get in; then, assuming my memory/experience of doing the app disappears when I come back to the present, we're good.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:44 am

los blancos wrote:I'm a loser.

Redundant. Your handle speaks for itself.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:29 am

ConMan345 wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I suppose if I could go back in time, tell my old self that I won't get in; then, assuming my memory/experience of doing the app disappears when I come back to the present, we're good.

Yes, there's the kind of time machine that turns back time, and there's the kind of time machine that allows you to travel back in time. But if you have the kind of time machine that allows you to travel back in time, you could still possibly make your old self skip sending the application by indirect means. Accomplishing so would alter the timeline and when you return to the future you would not have retained the same memories.

Lysis

Postby Lysis » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:32 am

r6_philly wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Yes, there's the kind of time machine that turns back time, and there's the kind of time machine that allows you to travel back in time. But if you have the kind of time machine that allows you to travel back in time, you could still possibly make your old self skip sending the application by indirect means. Accomplishing so would alter the timeline and when you return to the future you would not have retained the same memories.

Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't you use indirect means to get your past self to do something AWESOME, so that you would be admitted to Yale? If you have time traveling powers, using them just to save the application fee seems kind of weak.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:40 am

Lysis wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't you use indirect means to get your past self to do something AWESOME, so that you would be admitted to Yale? If you have time traveling powers, using them just to save the application fee seems kind of weak.

If I knew what Yale considers awesome, I probably could. But seeing that no one really knows what they want, it is hard to do that. I think I have done quite a few awesome things, but I don't know if Yale agrees with me.

I mean you don't need a time machine to do that. If you know what Yale considers awesome, you could really take a few years off, do those awesome things, then reapply. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew what they are. If I can wait 3-5 years and be sure to receive an acceptance from Yale I will do it.

But it would be easier if they consider what I did as being awesome, NOW :mrgreen:

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:14 am

r6_philly wrote:
Lysis wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't you use indirect means to get your past self to do something AWESOME, so that you would be admitted to Yale? If you have time traveling powers, using them just to save the application fee seems kind of weak.

If I knew what Yale considers awesome, I probably could. But seeing that no one really knows what they want, it is hard to do that. I think I have done quite a few awesome things, but I don't know if Yale agrees with me.

I mean you don't need a time machine to do that. If you know what Yale considers awesome, you could really take a few years off, do those awesome things, then reapply. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I knew what they are. If I can wait 3-5 years and be sure to receive an acceptance from Yale I will do it.

But it would be easier if they consider what I did as being awesome, NOW :mrgreen:

This discussion is awesome. Put it on your resume. :wink:

Zara

Postby Zara » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:49 am

rejected today. the letter was postmarked March 15th but it took a while to get to me here in Japan. I am not at all surprised or disappointed. Just happy that I can now send in my seat deposit to HLS without any reservations at all. Harvard has always been my first choice so I couldn't be happier with the way things turned out. Good luck to the rest of you still waiting to hear! :D

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:59 am

Zara wrote:rejected today. the letter was postmarked March 15th but it took a while to get to me here in Japan. I am not at all surprised or disappointed. Just happy that I can now send in my seat deposit to HLS without any reservations at all. Harvard has always been my first choice so I couldn't be happier with the way things turned out. Good luck to the rest of you still waiting to hear! :D

aw sorry zara, but congrats on HLS!!! :D :D it's a great choice.

owhlcn

Postby owhlcn » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Twitter says more calls today...

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:16 pm

owhlcn wrote:Twitter says more calls today...

Wow, and apparently there were some yesterday...

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:21 pm

To add another wrinkle to my false alarm on Saturday (for those of you who care, which I suspect is none of you, but I need some place to vent), I received an email this morning from the woman in Yale's Development Office whose voicemail I reached when I called back after that missed call on Saturday. She said she was not in the office on Saturday and had no idea how I could have received a call from her number. It's all very strange, and I suspect that someone who works in the Development Office just used her phone on Saturday and called me accidentally for whatever reason, but the conspiracy theorist in me has other ideas...

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:29 pm

crackberry wrote:To add another wrinkle to my false alarm on Saturday (for those of you who care, which I suspect is none of you, but I need some place to vent), I received an email this morning from the woman in Yale's Development Office whose voicemail I reached when I called back after that missed call on Saturday. She said she was not in the office on Saturday and had no idea how I could have received a call from her number. It's all very strange, and I suspect that someone who works in the Development Office just used her phone on Saturday and called me accidentally for whatever reason, but the conspiracy theorist in me has other ideas...

wow, this is a bit out there.... How could someone have called you accidentally? I'm not sure what to think. I find it hard to believe the Yale admissions office would make a phantom call to you to try and pin down who you are in RL but I can't think of another reasonable explanation.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:35 pm

And you walk right into that trap by posting it up here! :lol:

It's probably nothing. Stranger things have happened.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:38 pm

adameus wrote:
crackberry wrote:To add another wrinkle to my false alarm on Saturday (for those of you who care, which I suspect is none of you, but I need some place to vent), I received an email this morning from the woman in Yale's Development Office whose voicemail I reached when I called back after that missed call on Saturday. She said she was not in the office on Saturday and had no idea how I could have received a call from her number. It's all very strange, and I suspect that someone who works in the Development Office just used her phone on Saturday and called me accidentally for whatever reason, but the conspiracy theorist in me has other ideas...

wow, this is a bit out there.... How could someone have called you accidentally? I'm not sure what to think. I find it hard to believe the Yale admissions office would make a phantom call to you to try and pin down who you are in RL but I can't think of another reasonable explanation.

Yeah, I really don't think they would do this. I'm pretty sure they have much more pressing things to do with their time, though I can imagine it would be sort of entertaining for them. That said, if this was some sort of elaborate ploy to confirm my IRL identity, it certainly succeeded.

theadw

Postby theadw » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Why would someone walk a mile when they could use a phone in their own building?

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:44 pm

theadw wrote:Why would someone walk a mile when they could use a phone in their own building?

this is getting way too intricate

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:45 pm

theadw wrote:Why would someone walk a mile when they could use a phone in their own building?

It was a beautiful day for a walk in New Haven on Saturday:

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/b ... 20?when=-3

I'm on to you, Asha!!! :wink:

traficante

Postby traficante » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:46 pm

Have the results from the lab, re: the hang up phone message, come back yet? Mid-30s female, smoked in her 20s then quit, educated in the northeast, enjoys 1 mile walks....

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:54 pm

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”