Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Re: Yale 2010

Postby crackberry » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Someone who has been admitted: PLEASE send me a PM with the number you were called from.

I just got a missed call from a (203) number. No voicemail. I've had really bad luck with phantom admit calls this cycle and I think this might be another one (I Googled the number and it doesn't look like a law school number, though it is for sure a Yale University number), but I want to make sure.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:35 pm

crackberry wrote:Someone who has been admitted: PLEASE send me a PM with the number you were called from.

I just got a missed call from a (203) number. No voicemail. I've had really bad luck with phantom admit calls this cycle and I think this might be another one (I Googled the number and it doesn't look like a law school number, though it is for sure a Yale University number), but I want to make sure.

ahhh, the suspense is killing me xD

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:44 pm

crackberry wrote:Someone who has been admitted: PLEASE send me a PM with the number you were called from.

Edit. Do you have any other connections to Yale? If not, it probably is the law school.
Last edited by CardinalRules on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:46 pm

CardinalRules wrote:

You can find the law school number on their website: 203-432-4995.

Yeah but I didn't want to call the law school and have them be totally confused and weirded out if it was a wrong number.

It looks like a false alarm, which is incredible. I am beside myself but am not going to complain on here. This has happened to me at least 3 times (with both HLS and YLS now) this cycle.

And no, I have absolutely no other connections to Yale.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:47 pm

crackberry wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

Yeah but I didn't want to call the law school and have them be totally confused and weirded out if it was a wrong number.

It looks like a false alarm, which is incredible. I am beside myself but am not going to complain on here. This has happened to me at least 3 times (with both HLS and YLS now) this cycle.

I'll say this much: that's fucked up.

tinman

Postby tinman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:49 pm

crackberry wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

Wow. I hope it's not a false alarm. Good luck!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:49 pm

crackberry wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

FWIW, my call came from that number, but I wasn't among today's groups.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:59 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
crackberry wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

I'll say this much: that's fucked up.

Jeebus. Seriously. Hope it wasn't a falser, CB.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:01 pm

False alarm, guys, but thanks for your help.

I hope it wasn't some sort of secret plan by Asha to confirm my identity IRL with her suspicions of my identity on TLS :wink:

Seriously though, it was annoying, but that's life. I'll just take some deep breaths and say "Stanford, Stanford, Stanford" to myself.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:08 pm

crackberry wrote: I'll just take some deep breaths and say "Stanford, Stanford, Stanford" to myself.

Precisely. :) Who wants UConn anyway?

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:48 pm

Again, congrats everyone.

Back to Yale-relevant topics...HOLY COW ARE YOU PEOPLE WATCHING MARCH MADNESS?!?! Freakin, freakin Kansas.

Pausanias

Postby Pausanias » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:09 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:Again, congrats everyone.

Back to Yale-relevant topics...HOLY COW ARE YOU PEOPLE WATCHING MARCH MADNESS?!?! Freakin, freakin Kansas.

Everyone who picked St. Mary's and Northern Iowa to be in the Sweet Sixteen is automatically accepted into Y.

brennanlives

Postby brennanlives » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:21 pm

IN!! IN!!! IN!!!! IN!!!!!!!!! I seriously had to pinch myself after the call!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:24 pm

brennanlives wrote:IN!! IN!!! IN!!!! IN!!!!!!!!! I seriously had to pinch myself after the call!

Congratulations! :D

booby87

Postby booby87 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:25 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:29 pm

booby87 wrote:
brennanlives wrote:IN!! IN!!! IN!!!! IN!!!!!!!!! I seriously had to pinch myself after the call!

congrats!!! :mrgreen:

DITTO :D :D

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Congrats everyone! booby87, will I see you again at the Yale ASW?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:51 am

It looks like yesterday was a big wave of TLS acceptances, at least by YLS standards. Congrats to all the new admits! (And sorry, crackberry. That didn't sound like much fun.)

booby87

Postby booby87 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:31 pm

Last edited by booby87 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donaldduck

Postby Donaldduck » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:22 pm

What is the consensus around here about sending a quasi-LOCI to Yale right now? I've been complete since Jan 20, and sent in a new transcript. But since then I have a new position at my college, and was invited to join Phi Beta Kappa. I also got a 4.0 GPA last semester which they know about because of the transcript update but I could write about it on the letter. I guess I could also add my continuing interest in Yale. Thoughts????

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:26 pm

Donaldduck wrote:What is the consensus around here about sending a quasi-LOCI to Yale right now? I've been complete since Jan 20, and sent in a new transcript. But since then I have a new position at my college, and was invited to join Phi Beta Kappa. I also got a 4.0 GPA last semester which they know about because of the transcript update but I could write about it on the letter. I guess I could also add my continuing interest in Yale. Thoughts????

The sense I've gotten is that LOCI are only helpful if you've been waitlisted. I think I remember reading a quote from Asha or Craig that was essentially that, but in different words.

Edit: My rule of thumb: when in doubt, send less paper.

Donaldduck

Postby Donaldduck » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:28 pm

Last edited by Donaldduck on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:33 pm

Donaldduck wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
Donaldduck wrote:What is the consensus around here about sending a quasi-LOCI to Yale right now? I've been complete since Jan 20, and sent in a new transcript. But since then I have a new position at my college, and was invited to join Phi Beta Kappa. I also got a 4.0 GPA last semester which they know about because of the transcript update but I could write about it on the letter. I guess I could also add my continuing interest in Yale. Thoughts????

The sense I've gotten is that LOCI are only helpful if you've been waitlisted. I think I remember reading a quote from Asha or Craig that was essentially that, but in different words.

I thought so too, but then I found these two answers on the Yale law website:
About LOCI "@LOCI: I am happy to hear that you had a good visit to New Haven. If you are placed on the waitlist a simple LOCI can be helpful to us. At this point, however, it is too early to send one in. The LOCI is not particularly useful to us during the initial review of an application."

Updates: "@ CL & Bad Idea Leisure Suit: Updates can occasionally be helpful to your application. For example, if your grade trend in college has been going steadily upwards and an updated transcript would show an additional completed semester of very strong grades. It is also helpful for us to know if you are the recipient of a significant award. As with each part of your application, however, you should exercise your judgment about sending in updates. Updates may be sent by email to admissions.law@yale.edu."

I don't know what to make of this!

Well, I think we're conflating what they say about updates with what they say about LOCI. In any case, Phi Beta Kappa seems to be significant, so sending a short update (which can have a sentence or two that expresses your continued interest) would be perfectly reasonable in my book. Keep it short.

Donaldduck

Postby Donaldduck » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:49 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
Donaldduck wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

I thought so too, but then I found these two answers on the Yale law website:
About LOCI "@LOCI: I am happy to hear that you had a good visit to New Haven. If you are placed on the waitlist a simple LOCI can be helpful to us. At this point, however, it is too early to send one in. The LOCI is not particularly useful to us during the initial review of an application."

Updates: "@ CL & Bad Idea Leisure Suit: Updates can occasionally be helpful to your application. For example, if your grade trend in college has been going steadily upwards and an updated transcript would show an additional completed semester of very strong grades. It is also helpful for us to know if you are the recipient of a significant award. As with each part of your application, however, you should exercise your judgment about sending in updates. Updates may be sent by email to admissions.law@yale.edu."

I don't know what to make of this!

Well, I think we're conflating what they say about updates with what they say about LOCI. In any case, Phi Beta Kappa seems to be significant, so sending a short update (which can have a sentence or two that expresses your continued interest) would be perfectly reasonable in my book. Keep it short.

I like this. Any other opinions people? I need them.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:56 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Yale doesn't care about LOCIs, it is a myth.

I think it's more like you'll only stand out if you don't send one.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”