Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BioEBear2010

Re: Yale 2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:12 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
Dignan wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
Hmm, "whiskey tasting," is that what the kids are calling it these days? Whatever happened to "binge drinking"?

Regular "binge drinking" of fine whiskey would set you back more than law school tuition.

I'm a tequila man myself. My boss has broken out the Don Julio 1942 to celebrate some case victories. Oh, oh so good. It's like honey.

Tequila, yum. Lendale White's vice, haha.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:14 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Dignan wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Mid-afternoon whiskey tastings do something to the mind...

You're into whisky, Kretzy? What are you drinking this afternoon?

Absolutely. WhiskeyGuy and I have tentative plans to start a whiskey group at SLS next year. Right now, Stranahan's 10 year (from here in CO), though I was doing a small-batch bourbon tasting today: Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Booker's etc. in their special batches. Good stuff.

Oh, that hurts. I already felt bad enough about not getting into SLS, and now I find out that there's going to be a whiskey group there? Damn.

I've consumed way too much Booker's in my day. For years, there was a bar in my town that had Booker's mistakenly keyed in their computer as $5 a shot, and our friendly bartender would pour huge shots. My friends and I took advantage.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:17 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
Dignan wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
Hmm, "whiskey tasting," is that what the kids are calling it these days? Whatever happened to "binge drinking"?

Regular "binge drinking" of fine whiskey would set you back more than law school tuition.

I'm a tequila man myself. My boss has broken out the Don Julio 1942 to celebrate some case victories. Oh, oh so good. It's like honey.

Tequila, yum. Lendale White's vice, haha.

Maybe, if I sneak into Yale, we can start a tequila drinking club.

Also, I had to wiki LenDale White (and yes, he capitalizes the "D").

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:27 pm

ConMan345 wrote:

I intend to launch a gin tasting club at Yale (provided I attend). Even if I'm the only member. In fact, I think I'll mix myself a martini right now in anticipation.

Forget about the UVA softball tourney - I'd much prefer a law school Speyside taste-off.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:29 pm

notanumber wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

I intend to launch a gin tasting club at Yale (provided I attend). Even if I'm the only member. In fact, I think I'll mix myself a martini right now in anticipation.

Forget about the UVA softball tourney - I'd much prefer a law school Speyside taste-off.

Aberlour FTW.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:32 pm

notanumber wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

Gin? Meh, given most of my drinks are made by other people, it's hard to get one with the right balance of gin/not gin.

In other news, my favorite drink is Goldschlager and Henry Weinhards root beer. Mmmmmmm. We call it "Black Gold."

Laina

Postby Laina » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:35 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Dignan wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Mid-afternoon whiskey tastings do something to the mind...

You're into whisky, Kretzy? What are you drinking this afternoon?

Absolutely. WhiskeyGuy and I have tentative plans to start a whiskey group at SLS next year.

I need to get in on this.
Last edited by Laina on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:35 pm

notanumber wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

I meant to add: Be careful, notanumber. With that kind of attitude, you are never getting off the UVA waitlist.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:49 pm

notanumber wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:

Damn...I do love gin as well. I guess we'll all have to visit one another's schools and sample the local beverages-of-choice.

clyde_barrow

Postby clyde_barrow » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:37 am

ConMan345 wrote:Maybe, if I sneak into Yale, we can start a tequila drinking club.

notanumber and i will distract craig and asha with our patrick mcgoohan impressions. make a run for the back door. mmmm tequila

also, gin = gasoline (in taste). de gustibus.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:58 am

clyde_barrow wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:Maybe, if I sneak into Yale, we can start a tequila drinking club.

notanumber and i will distract craig and asha with our patrick mcgoohan impressions. make a run for the back door. mmmm tequila

also, gin = gasoline (in taste). de gustibus.

Yeah, either that or sucking on a Christmas tree...

But yes, I like the Danger Man plan...Asha's into counterintelligence, right?

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:12 am

Also, because I have insomnia and I'm teaching myself Excel, for LSN admits:

LSAT (07/08, 08/09, 09/10 combined):
75th Percentile: 178
Median: 176
25th Percentile: 173

Yale's class of 2012:
75th Percentile: 176
Median: 173
25th Percentile: 170

Not much of a surprise given LSN skews young and young admits to Yale skew high numbers, but interesting nonetheless. A thinly-veiled attempt to give my sub-median LSAT score a fighting chance--perhaps--but still, a pretty striking difference, no?

Edit: Also, I ignored obviously fake accounts.

Edit 2: Also, there were (conveniently) 100 LSN admits from this year (so far) and the two prior years. This approximately accounts for somewhere in the neighborhood of circa 10-15%ish of those accepted to Yale.

existenz

Postby existenz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:32 am

LSN only shows you acceptances, whereas the numbers provided by schools show you the stats of people who actually matriculate. Chances are, nearly all of the people with 168-173 LSATs who get admitted to Yale wind up going to Yale, whereas a slightly higher percentage of the 176-180 folks sometimes get peeled away to Harvard, Stanford, Columbia with a Hamilton, etc.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:22 pm

existenz wrote:LSN only shows you acceptances, whereas the numbers provided by schools show you the stats of people who actually matriculate. Chances are, nearly all of the people with 168-173 LSATs who get admitted to Yale wind up going to Yale, whereas a slightly higher percentage of the 176-180 folks sometimes get peeled away to Harvard, Stanford, Columbia with a Hamilton, etc.

That is true, yeah, Yale's yield hovers around 75-80%, and we might be able to assume that the majority of those who choose not to attend are those above the median. From a glance at my list of numbers, though, it would have to be a pretty significant exodus to budge the numbers much, if at all. For Stanford, at least (which is a top five feeder to YLS), the admit stats essentially equal the matriculant stats.

caved

Postby caved » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:05 pm

existenz wrote:LSN only shows you acceptances, whereas the numbers provided by schools show you the stats of people who actually matriculate. Chances are, nearly all of the people with 168-173 LSATs who get admitted to Yale wind up going to Yale, whereas a slightly higher percentage of the 176-180 folks sometimes get peeled away to Harvard, Stanford, Columbia with a Hamilton, etc.

Wait, why? What's the logic here?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:08 pm

caved wrote:

It's less likely that 168-173 LSAT folks get multiple top-4 admits, whereas those with better numbers will have more options and a greater propensity to pick one of those alternative options.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:11 pm

caved wrote:

I think the logic is that someone is exceedingly unlikely to turn down Yale for, say, Penn or Michigan. Although most Yale acceptances are also accepted by at least one of Harvard, Stanford, or Columbia w/$$$, there are a small handful who get accepted by Yale despite getting shut out of the rest of the T4. Those applicants--who tend to have lower numbers--are probably especially likely to accept Yale's offer of admission.

caved

Postby caved » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:14 pm

Kretzy wrote:
caved wrote:

It's less likely that 168-173 LSAT folks get multiple top-4 admits, whereas those with better numbers will have more options and a greater propensity to pick one of those alternative options.

Ah, gotcha. Though I'm curious how many people find themselves in that situation (admitted to Yale, but not HS or C)...

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:25 pm

caved wrote:Ah, gotcha. Though I'm curious how many people find themselves in that situation (admitted to Yale, but not HS or C)...

Here's the one I've been looking at to boost my own hopes. Accepted at Yale, rejected at Stanford, WLed at Harvard. Got into CLS, but no $$.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/FranFang

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:29 pm

crackberry wrote:
caved wrote:Ah, gotcha. Though I'm curious how many people find themselves in that situation (admitted to Yale, but not HS or C)...

Here's the one I've been looking at to boost my own hopes. Accepted at Yale, rejected at Stanford, WLed at Harvard. Got into CLS, but no $$.

It's pretty rare to have someone accepted to Y, but not H, S, or C w/ $$. Also, I forget who told me this (it might have been Dean Post), but out of those students who are accepted to Yale but choose not to attend, about 25 choose Harvard, 25 choose Stanford (which is interesting given Stanford's smaller class size), and 10 or so choose something else (i.e. C w/ $$, M with $$).

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:33 pm

Now that Harvard's pulled its free 3L program, I'll bet there will be fewer choosing HLS over YLS this year (unless they're all biglaw applicants).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:01 pm

crackberry wrote:

Profiles like that gives me hopes too. I would be elated to be in that position.

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:16 pm

r6_philly wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Profiles like that give me hopes too. I would be elated to be in that position.

Seriously. Terrible, terrible hope. At the beginning of my cycle, I thought I had a very "west coast" app, since it's more soft/GPA-heavy than LSAT heavy. But then HLS happened, and now I'm kind of thrown for a loop xD From the looks of LSN, about 50% of those with my numbers who get into both HLS and SLS also get into Yale. *sigh* If only there was a stronger correlation...

(Yale! I am a FREE. WIN. yield-wise)

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:24 pm

Anyone heard anything from the evil twin, 06520 yet?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:26 pm

GeePee wrote:Anyone heard anything from the evil twin, 06520 yet?

Nothing yet, but the mail hasn't come yet today. If I was in this rejection round, I think the letter would arrive here in the Boston metro today or tomorrow.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”