Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GeePee

Re: Yale 2010

Postby GeePee » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:30 pm

I feel like the "good luck" was the implied part of the response to the previous sentence...

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:32 pm

managamy wrote:
GeePee wrote:
Haha gl to you as well!

Fixed.

is there a fire nearby?

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:40 pm

GeePee wrote:I feel like the "good luck" was the implied part of the response to the previous sentence...

Well I felt like you were laughing at him... and I approved

roxj

Postby roxj » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:49 pm

So does Yale call people, or do they snail mail, NYU style? I know it takes longer, but I'd actually prefer snail mail at this point. I've been clutching my phone so hard recently it's only so much longer until it breaks.

This is really all moot, because I do not have the numbers for YLS. At all.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:58 pm

roxj wrote:So does Yale call people, or do they snail mail, NYU style? I know it takes longer, but I'd actually prefer snail mail at this point. I've been clutching my phone so hard recently it's only so much longer until it breaks.

They call.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:06 pm

crackberry wrote:
roxj wrote:So does Yale call people, or do they snail mail, NYU style? I know it takes longer, but I'd actually prefer snail mail at this point. I've been clutching my phone so hard recently it's only so much longer until it breaks.

They call.

More like we all sit around waiting for a call, and they just never call...

shenanigans

Postby shenanigans » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:19 pm

GeePee wrote:I went complete tonight. That's in time for an acceptance tomorrow, right? ;)

Any guesses as to who could be fair game for the first batch tomorrow? October completes? Pre-Thanksgiving completes? Can't help wondering who could be getting their call after GeePee :D

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:23 pm

shenanigans wrote:
GeePee wrote:I went complete tonight. That's in time for an acceptance tomorrow, right? ;)

Any guesses as to who could be fair game for the first batch tomorrow? October completes? Pre-Thanksgiving completes? Can't help wondering who could be getting their call after GeePee :D

I have a feeling that the first batch will be very, very small, so it probably won't include all of the pre-Thanksgiving completes.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:18 pm

Ugh...I've totally lost my nerve with regards to Yale. My 250 no longer seems as cleverly unconventional as I thought, and I doubt I'll have time to fix the situation. I just hope the faculty has a sense of humor, or I'm screwed.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:34 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
Ugh...I've totally lost my nerve with regards to Yale. My 250 no longer seems as cleverly unconventional as I thought, and I doubt I'll have time to fix the situation. I just hope the faculty has a sense of humor, or I'm screwed.

Mine doesn't seem clevely unconventional enough now either.

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:42 pm

managamy wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:

Mine doesn't seem clevely unconventional enough now either.

We'll have to swap sometime and mourn our mutual misfortune.

My question: does this mean there will be another batch in January, or will we have to wait two full months for more news?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:50 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
We'll have to swap sometime and mourn our mutual misfortune.

My question: does this mean there will be another batch in January, or will we have to wait two full months for more news?

I would love to know that answer as well. My 250 was sort of a PS 2.0, calling attention to a few unusual activities that didn't make it onto the resume and were connected to my interest in law in unexpected ways. Probably not nearly provocative enough for Yale.

But the fact of the matter is that my application is riding on my stats rather than my softs anyway.

EDIT: Deleted some erroneous information.
Last edited by CardinalRules on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:55 pm

managamy wrote:But the fact of the matter is that my application is riding on my stats rather than my softs anyway. Since Yale is so softs-friendly, I am surprised that they use an admissions index.

They don't, or at least not one they publish.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:00 am

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:But the fact of the matter is that my application is riding on my stats rather than my softs anyway. Since Yale is so softs-friendly, I am surprised that they use an admissions index.

They don't, or at least not one they publish.

I believe you more than the online article that claimed otherwise.

Postby 02082010 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:02 am

So it will be freak out mode in ITT tomorrow?

I'm done with finals (and my undergraduate career actually), so I'll be laying on my couch all day, having my own personal House marathon and checking in on this thread. Good luck all!

roxj

Postby roxj » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:09 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:So it will be freak out mode in ITT tomorrow?

I'm done with finals (and my undergraduate career actually), so I'll be laying on my couch all day, having my own personal House marathon and checking in on this thread. Good luck all!

Good choice. I'm addicted to that show. But I still have three finals to write and there is this weird vacant buzzing sound in my brain...

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:11 am

roxj wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:So it will be freak out mode in ITT tomorrow?

Good choice. I'm addicted to that show. But I still have three finals to write and there isthis weird vacant buzzing sound in my brain... [quote]

It's a telepathic communication from YLS telling you that they have good news for you.

hermione0901

Postby hermione0901 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:46 am

This thread (and all others on this forum, for that matter) are officially bad for my mental state. 2 hours ago, I was in a blissful state of ignorance, not hoping to hear from Yale anytime in the next several months and working on my finals. Now, I am a nervous wreck who can't focus on finals and STILL will most likely not hear anything from Yale for several months. Definitely a negative turn of events.

jugamac

Postby jugamac » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:49 am

hermione0901 wrote:This thread (and all others on this forum, for that matter) are officially bad for my mental state. 2 hours ago, I was in a blissful state of ignorance, not hoping to hear from Yale anytime in the next several months and working on my finals. Now, I am a nervous wreck who can't focus on finals and STILL will most likely not hear anything from Yale for several months. Definitely a negative turn of events.

+ 1

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:35 am

You guys can probably not worry about an email - I was overseas last year and a lot of schools that normally called their admits actually emailed me (some even claimed to have tried calling, though I never had a missed call). Yale was the only one that, even abroad, still made sure to call me.

Seriously though, relax. Very few people get admitted to Yale in December and I think unlike HLS there's not a lot of predictability to it no matter what. If you don't hear from Yale tomorrow and you turned your app in Oct. 1, that just doesn't have any bearing on your ultimate chance of getting in. I get the sense only a few auto-admits (Nobel Peace Prize winner types) get in this early. If YLS works like admissions for PhD programs, they probably have the faculty take a lot of the apps over the break to read, thus the February flood.

If you guys have other exciting acceptances, read those binders, send emails from the email addresses, use it as an excuse to talk to friends at those schools and pick their brain, and most of all enjoy a moment of feeling special. Once you're actually in school no one is courting you anymore, you have a shit ton of work to do, and that special glow wears off real fast. I spent a regrettable amount of time in your shoes last year stressing and angsting and in retrospect it was a hilarious waste of time.

That said, good luck! :)

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:49 am

zabagabe wrote:You guys can probably not worry about an email - I was overseas last year and a lot of schools that normally called their admits actually emailed me (some even claimed to have tried calling, though I never had a missed call). Yale was the only one that, even abroad, still made sure to call me.

Seriously though, relax. Very few people get admitted to Yale in December and I think unlike HLS there's not a lot of predictability to it no matter what. If you don't hear from Yale tomorrow and you turned your app in Oct. 1, that just doesn't have any bearing on your ultimate chance of getting in. I get the sense only a few auto-admits (Nobel Peace Prize winner types) get in this early. If YLS works like admissions for PhD programs, they probably have the faculty take a lot of the apps over the break to read, thus the February flood.

If you guys have other exciting acceptances, read those binders, send emails from the email addresses, use it as an excuse to talk to friends at those schools and pick their brain, and most of all enjoy a moment of feeling special. Once you're actually in school no one is courting you anymore, you have a shit ton of work to do, and that special glow wears off real fast. I spent a regrettable amount of time in your shoes last year stressing and angsting and in retrospect it was a hilarious waste of time.

Wow. You, sir, are impressive.

hermione0901

Postby hermione0901 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:00 am

crackberry wrote:
zabagabe wrote:You guys can probably not worry about an email - I was overseas last year and a lot of schools that normally called their admits actually emailed me (some even claimed to have tried calling, though I never had a missed call). Yale was the only one that, even abroad, still made sure to call me.

+100000000

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:03 am

hermione0901 wrote:This thread (and all others on this forum, for that matter) are officially bad for my mental state. 2 hours ago, I was in a blissful state of ignorance, not hoping to hear from Yale anytime in the next several months and working on my finals. Now, I am a nervous wreck who can't focus on finals and STILL will most likely not hear anything from Yale for several months. Definitely a negative turn of events.

You got your JR2 to comfort you....

Harvard > Yale anyways :twisted: .

zabagabe

Postby zabagabe » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:34 am

crackberry wrote:

Thanks, though chances are, if you're hanging out in waiting room for YLS (and other great schools), you guys are just as - if not more - impressive. And the best part is, the people I met at the YLS ASW (and other ASWs) were much more impressive than I. I feel lucky I'll get to hang out with them for a few years. :) Somehow makes the crushing debt burden easier to swallow!

hermione0901

Postby hermione0901 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:56 am

SolarWind wrote:

You got your JR2 to comfort you....

Harvard > Yale anyways :twisted: .

See, I'm a small school kinda person in general, so maybe, but I don't know...

Also, Yale was my dream school for UG. I feel like I'm just waiting for the same guy to break my heart again...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”