Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
notanumber

Re: Yale 2010

Postby notanumber » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:58 am

Dignan wrote:
notanumber wrote:
Dignan wrote:
notanumber wrote:Didn't find TLS until well after I took the LSATs and applied to law school. So I get all the drama and angst without any of the productive advice. Lovely.

You're making a pretty big assumption there.

Eh, before I found TLS I had no idea that my early January applications were "late." I thought I was totally on top of my game by getting things in an entire month before the deadline.

I was half-joking. There is definitely useful advice on here. Even at this stage, you'll find the occasional useful/informative post in the "Choosing a Law School" forum. But the signal to noise ratio on TLS is usually pretty low.

True that. I feel kind of guilty for directing a couple of naive pre-laws to this forum. They get a pretty depressing/neurotic/inane view of the law school admissions process.

But it's been good for me to find other folk dealing w/ this process - I don't know other people applying to law schools so TLS and LSN have been invaluable for figuring out when people are hearing about decisions and learning about other otherwise opaque factors in this process.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:01 am

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:I posted a few hundred times while I was studying for the LSAT and taking it. Then a few more in "What are my Chances?" Then once the cycle started I posted like 5-6 times a day.

Now that the silence for SLS, HLS, and YLS has driven me insane I definitely most 100+ a day.

Only super cool people post on internet message boards 100+ times per day. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, Kronk.

tbf I've seen all of the girls in the USS:BP (and a bunch of us are meeting in NYC on Friday) and there is not a single unattractive one. They probably post 100+ times per day. Definitely not dorks. calicocat, gahthelaw, and Holly Golightly are like 9/10s. boo jersey shore is a dude and an MMA fighter. The girls seem to like Helmholtz too but I'm still pretty sure he's a square.

Oooh, I'm going to be in town for the Columbia/NYU admit thing (but Asha, if you're reading this, Yale is my first and only love!). When/where is the meet-up?

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:04 am

notanumber wrote:Oooh, I'm going to be in town for the Columbia/NYU admit thing (but Asha, if you're reading this, Yale is my first and only love!). When/where is the meet-up?

Haha, from what I've seen you're pretty cool, but I don't know that you're "in" yet. We have each other's email and phone numbers and f-book friends. We are meeting at a bar in NYC after NYU's ASW. I suggest you make friends in the BP thread if you wanna show.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:04 am

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:I posted a few hundred times while I was studying for the LSAT and taking it. Then a few more in "What are my Chances?" Then once the cycle started I posted like 5-6 times a day.

Now that the silence for SLS, HLS, and YLS has driven me insane I definitely most 100+ a day.

Only super cool people post on internet message boards 100+ times per day. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, Kronk.

tbf I've seen all of the girls in the USS:BP (and a bunch of us are meeting in NYC on Friday) and there is not a single unattractive one. They probably post 100+ times per day. Definitely not dorks. calicocat, gahthelaw, and Holly Golightly are like 9/10s. boo jersey shore is a dude and an MMA fighter. The girls seem to like Helmholtz too but I'm still pretty sure he's a square.

TBF, they like Helm because of his James Dean avatar. Good to know there are cute girls going to law school; unfortunately, none of the above will be going to Stanford or Yale, the only two schools left on my radar screen.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:05 am

Kronk wrote:
notanumber wrote:Oooh, I'm going to be in town for the Columbia/NYU admit thing (but Asha, if you're reading this, Yale is my first and only love!). When/where is the meet-up?

Haha, from what I've seen you're pretty cool, but I don't know that you're "in" yet. We have each other's email and phone numbers and f-book friends. We are meeting at a bar in NYC after NYU's ASW. I suggest you make friends in the BP thread if you wanna show.

Sounds very creepy, stalker-ish to me. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that scene, though.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:06 am

crackberry wrote:TBF, they like Helm because of his James Dean avatar. Good to know there are cute girls going to law school; unfortunately, none of the above will be going to Stanford or Yale, the only two schools left on my radar screen.

They're all going to UIUC, NorwesTTTern, or turning into Cornellians.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:07 am

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Sounds very creepy, stalker-ish to me. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that scene, though.

Yeah, seems stalkerish until you realize we spend like 100 posts a day talking to each other and posting pictures of ourselves.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:08 am

Kronk wrote:

HA!

I dunno if I want to venture into USS: BP. It's like a creepy cult in there.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:09 am

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:

Yeah, seems stalkerish until you realize we spend like 100 posts a day talking to each other and posting pictures of ourselves.

Edit.
Last edited by crackberry on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:10 am

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:TBF, they like Helm because of his James Dean avatar. Good to know there are cute girls going to law school; unfortunately, none of the above will be going to Stanford or Yale, the only two schools left on my radar screen.

They're all going to UIUC, NorwesTTTern, or turning into Cornellians.

Figures. I'm not interested in the girls at such low-rate TTTs as UIUC, SUNY-NYC (x2) or BoalTTT. Not enough brainpower for my tastes.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:12 am

notanumber wrote:
Dignan wrote:I was half-joking. There is definitely useful advice on here. Even at this stage, you'll find the occasional useful/informative post in the "Choosing a Law School" forum. But the signal to noise ratio on TLS is usually pretty low.

True that. I feel kind of guilty for directing a couple of naive pre-laws to this forum. They get a pretty depressing/neurotic/inane view of the law school admissions process.

But it's been good for me to find other folk dealing w/ this process - I don't know other people applying to law schools so TLS and LSN have been invaluable for figuring out when people are hearing about decisions and learning about other otherwise opaque factors in this process.

TLS is definitely addicting. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder how useful it actually is. With respect to the admissions process, I am trying to remember if there's anything I've learned on here that I didn't already know from reading Anna Ivey's book. Nothing comes to mind.

As you say, TLS and LSN give you a sense of when you can expect to hear a decision from a particular school. I'm not sure how useful that is, though. It eliminates an element of surprise, but that's about it.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:26 am

Dignan wrote:
notanumber wrote:
Dignan wrote:I was half-joking. There is definitely useful advice on here. Even at this stage, you'll find the occasional useful/informative post in the "Choosing a Law School" forum. But the signal to noise ratio on TLS is usually pretty low.

TLS is definitely addicting. But the more I think about it, the more I wonder how useful it actually is. With respect to the admissions process, I am trying to remember if there's anything I've learned on here that I didn't already know from reading Anna Ivey's book. Nothing comes to mind.

As you say, TLS and LSN give you a sense of when you can expect to hear a decision from a particular school. I'm not sure how useful that is, though. It eliminates an element of surprise, but that's about it.

Yeah. TLS is probably little more than angst-ridden procrastination for most users, but I think TLS is really useful for folk who don't have access to robust undergrad advising or other law school admissions resources. For me the big change I would have made had I found TLS a year ago is that I would have applied earlier in the cycle. Another change is that I would have allowed the LSAC to release my info to schools at an earlier point - I'm sure that I missed out on fee-waivers because I didn't know about the implications of not releasing my info to various schools. For other folk I can see TLS being a great guide to help them decide which schools are realistic options, which schools are good reaches, and which ones are unlikely at best. That could save somebody hundreds of dollars. The site might also be useful for people deciding between various LSAT practice methods or for folk trying to figure out what other prelaws are intending to do with their degrees.

So, yeah, there's a high noise to signal ratio but I'm certainly glad that I eventually found this place and I'm glad to point pre-laws in this direction.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:35 am

notanumber wrote:So, yeah, there's a high noise to signal ratio but I'm certainly glad that I eventually found this place and I'm glad to point pre-laws in this direction.

Fair enough. Also, people often post links to useful resources (e.g., interviews with adcomms) that we might not otherwise see.

And, just as importantly, TLS provides us with handy rationalizations for rejections. Any unpleasant rejection can be explained by yield protection. That's why I got rejected by Stanford, by the way.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:38 am

Dignan wrote:
notanumber wrote:So, yeah, there's a high noise to signal ratio but I'm certainly glad that I eventually found this place and I'm glad to point pre-laws in this direction.

Fair enough. Also, people often post links to useful resources (e.g., interviews with adcomms) that we might not otherwise see.

And, just as importantly, TLS provides us with handy rationalizations for rejections. Any unpleasant rejection can be explained by yield protection. That's why I got rejected by Stanford, by the way.

You didn't want to go to Stanford anyways. Have you ever been to that campus? It looks like a Taco Bell on steroids. Seriously.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:39 am

notanumber wrote:
Dignan wrote:

You didn't want to go to Stanford anyways. Have you ever been to that campus? It looks like a Taco Bell on steroids. Seriously.

Silence.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:44 am

notanumber wrote:
Dignan wrote:

LOL. Yes, I know the campus well. In fact, I think my first post in the Stanford 2010 thread was about my distaste for the campus's architecture. Serves me right.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:45 am

Last edited by crackberry on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:48 am

Last edited by Dignan on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:49 am

Dignan wrote:Indeed it is. But just to be clear, it is yield protection, and not Karma, that explains my rejection.

Oh right. I forgot about that. Doesn't YP usually result in a WL though?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:00 am

crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote:Indeed it is. But just to be clear, it is yield protection, and not Karma, that explains my rejection.

They were just being extra careful. If Faye had put me on a waitlist, someone in the admissions office could have slipped up and accepted me off the WL--which I would have used to leverage more $$$ out of Northwestern.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:19 am

Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:

They were just being extra careful. If Faye had put me on a waitlist, someone in the admissions office could have slipped up and accepted me off the WL--which I would have used to leverage more $$$ out of Northwestern.

Funny, I blanketed the top 20 but somehow forgot about Northwestern. :wink:

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:17 am

Are BioEBear and I the only two admits who post here regularly? Let's hope that some more of you join us (and Lawyering) soon!

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:57 am

CardinalRules wrote:Are BioEBear and I the only two admits who post here regularly? Let's hope that some more of you join us (and Lawyering) soon!

AGREED!! and btw, thanks for all the shout-outs late last night...while I was trying desperately to sleep and not succeeding... :D

duodora

Postby duodora » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:08 pm

CardinalRules wrote:Are BioEBear and I the only two admits who post here regularly? Let's hope that some more of you join us (and Lawyering) soon!

I'm an admit and I lurk here a lot ;) does that count?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:09 pm

duodora wrote:

I'm an admit and I lurk here a lot ;) does that count?

You must be sorely disappointed by the totally unrelated tangents we (the non-admits) bring here.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”