Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
notanumber

Re: Yale 2010

Postby notanumber » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:22 pm

Kakarot wrote:It would have been even more awesome if Dean Asha had used all of your real first names. You know she knows them now right? :shock:

If she does, and Yale admits me (ha!) I'd be really impressed and amused if she used my TLS moniker in my acceptance call. Like "hello notanumber, we've decided to admit you to Yale" Instead of "hello [real name]..."

I don't think that I've given any incredibly revealing information on this site (or LSN), what with my fudged numbers and application dates, but she was an FBI agent and if one were really dedicated then one could probably connect the dots.

I've not said anything offensive online and it wouldn't be decent or fair if she held just being and posting here against us. She seems like a pretty fair and decent person. Right? Right? Please tell me I'm right! ;)

englawyer wrote: haha i am just glad i was on the "right" side of the whole "does yale auto-admit based on numbers" debate. maybe that is a plus for my app :P

For the record, my baseless (and now demonstrably so) speculation was that the auto-admit category might be used, in part, to make sure that Yale's 75% numbers were higher than Harvard's. I never claimed that everybody with 75% + numbers were auto-admits. I'm actually glad that this isn't true because it suggests that Yale ignores the U.S. News rankings. A "news" magazine like that shouldn't be dictating admission policies to ANY academic institution.

Of course, it still makes the presence of a category of admission separate from the "normal" process a rather interesting phenomena. Asha (we are on a first name basis now) says that it's to "put together the most diverse and talented class possible." My new entirely baseless speculation is that this category is used to admit people who Asha wants to *make sure* survive the faculty review process. Now we can all idly speculate what factors put an applicant in this pile!

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:28 pm

I wonder if everyone knows who we are, or if just Asha knows. Do they tell the faculty reviewers who we are, so that they can check us out here too?

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Also, Asha, if you're reading this then I have a question:

Are those who apply after being rejected assigned a different triumvirate of professorial deciders than they were in the first round, are they assigned the same triumvirate, or are they assigned a random triumvirate?

Not that I'm reapplying this year or anything. Just curious.

Feel free to PM me. Or call me (along with an acceptance). You probably know my number.

EDIT: TYPO AGAIN!!! OH NOZ!!! DOOOOMMMMMM
Last edited by notanumber on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:29 pm

notanumber wrote:Also, Asha, if you're reading this then I have a question:

Are who apply after being rejected assigned a different triumvirate of professorial deciders than they were in the first round, are they assigned the same triumvirate, or are they assigned a random triumvirate?

Feel free to PM me. Or call me (along with an acceptance). You probably know my number.

I just got a PM after my post talking about how disappointed I was that she hadn't discussed me in the blog. For a second, I thought that she had written me. :lol:

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:32 pm

managamy wrote:
notanumber wrote:Also, Asha, if you're reading this then I have a question:

Are who apply after being rejected assigned a different triumvirate of professorial deciders than they were in the first round, are they assigned the same triumvirate, or are they assigned a random triumvirate?

I just got a PM after my post talking about how disappointed I was that she hadn't discussed me in the blog. For a second, I thought that she had written me. :lol:

Wait a second Managamy... How do we know that you're not Asha?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:34 pm

That was awesome to see me addressed on the blog post, first one no less! There could only be one thing that is more awesome than this when it comes to Yale :D Her response to me was along the line of my understanding already, but it reassuring to hear her say that. I did always wonder what gets all the high numbers rejected, and I have a better idea now. Yale is my first choice because I gathered that they care about what makes up a person above the set of numbers and it is really nice to know that is really the case. It was a very pleasant surprise!

tomhobbes

Postby tomhobbes » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:35 pm

notanumber wrote:
Of course, it still makes the presence of a category of admission separate from the "normal" process a rather interesting phenomena. Asha (we are on a first name basis now) says that it's to "put together the most diverse and talented class possible." My new entirely baseless speculation is that this category is used to admit people who Asha wants to *make sure* survive the faculty review process. Now we can all idly speculate what factors put an applicant in this pile!

I think that's actually very, uh, baseful speculation. Not really speculation at all, in fact.

So, it's entirely possible for an application to make it through a round of three faculty readers by December, just as it is possible for me to admit someone directly in the spring (it would be kind of odd, wouldn't it, if a must-have applicant applied on February 15 and I had no choice but to send the person to the faculty gamble?)

Here's some speculation, though. One factor that might make someone a presumptive admit is not just how great their application is--it's how vulnerable their application is to the randomness of faculty review. Take a 4.0/180 non-profit-founding, homeless-helping applicant that screams greatness to Asha, but has nothing but a big smiley face written in the LSAT writing sample area. One factor inclining her to make that app a presumptive admit isn't just the greatness of the application, it's a desire to avoid letting it encounter some random professor who ranks everything by the writing sample.

In other words, a slight weakness to an application could actually become a strength. She has an incentive to make presumptive admits out of good applicants who have what could seem to be weaknesses to professors, but don't seem to be weaknesses to her.

notanumber wrote:Wait a second Managamy... How do we know that you're not Asha?

Please. Asha clearly has too much of a life to be managamy.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:49 pm

tomhobbes wrote: Here's some speculation, though. One factor that might make someone a presumptive admit is not just how great their application is--it's how vulnerable their application is to the randomness of faculty review.

Yeah, identifying the factors that make somebody both "necessary" and "at risk of faculty rejection" is an interesting thought experiment.

I think your smiley face writing sample is a great example. Perhaps strong politically motivated work is another. Being a stellar minority candidate might be yet another. A famous celebrity? A very wealthy legacy donor? As I said earlier this week in the part of the thread Asha quoted, it's all speculation. None of us can get in her head.

Oh well. It's Friday night. Time to turn off the internet and get back to my real life. It's been a fun day on TLS!
Last edited by notanumber on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Haha, the TH comment is credited. I'm starting to get more of a life recently, though. :D

BTW, Asha, if you're reading this thread, thank you for disregarding the sarcastic comments and poor attitude that I formerly displayed on certain other posts elsewhere in the forum. I promise that I'm better than I showed on those occasions.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:41 pm

managamy wrote:Haha, the TH comment is credited. I'm starting to get more of a life recently, though. :D

BTW, Asha, if you're reading this thread, thank you for disregarding the sarcastic comments and poor attitude that I formerly displayed on certain other posts elsewhere in the forum. I promise that I'm better than I showed on those occasions.

waaaa? you should stay by your comments! It is who you are (I hope)

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:
managamy wrote:Haha, the TH comment is credited. I'm starting to get more of a life recently, though. :D

People who have read some of the other threads will know what I mean.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:45 pm

managamy wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

This managamy is much better then days of old. I would be glad to attend a school with this one, hopefully the other one is gone for good.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:01 pm

Kakarot wrote:
managamy wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

This managamy is much better then days of old. I would be glad to attend a school with this one, hopefully the other one is gone for good.

A personal transformation in the forums of the TLS? So this is not a waste of our lives?

But seriously, if you are sarcastic and it natually shows it through your posts, I don't know if that would change just because of the circumstances and surroundings. You may be able to restrain yourself for a little while but it will eventually seep through.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
managamy wrote:
r6_philly wrote:waaaa? you should stay by your comments! It is who you are (I hope)

A personal transformation in the forums of the TLS? So this is not a waste of our lives?

But seriously, if you are sarcastic and it natually shows it through your posts, I don't know if that would change just because of the circumstances and surroundings. You may be able to restrain yourself for a little while but it will eventually seep through.

I give managamy the benefit of the doubt the old online personality was a persona and this is the real person. Being acerbic is one thing, but it was just beyond all belief especially to be coming through so clearly online.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:43 pm

Kakarot wrote:
I give managamy the benefit of the doubt the old online personality was a persona and this is the real person. Being acerbic is one thing, but it was just beyond all belief especially to be coming through so clearly online.

You're not Asha by any chance, are you? :wink:
Last edited by CardinalRules on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:02 am

managamy wrote:
Kakarot wrote:

Thank you! I hope that other people also found the other persona too grossly inflated to be credible.

don't tell me everyone is paranoid now! this place is going to be all crickets with the occassional Yale praise mixed in?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:36 am

r6_philly wrote:
managamy wrote:
Kakarot wrote:

Thank you! I hope that other people also found the other persona too grossly inflated to be credible.

don't tell me everyone is paranoid now! this place is going to be all crickets with the occassional Yale praise mixed in?

I'm extremely grateful for the sake of my sanity that I have no reason to be paranoid at this point.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:57 am

notanumber wrote::shock:

I'm famous :D.
and, despite standing behind every post I've made, I'm also a little bit scared.

But first, I'd like to thank my mother, my father, the academy, and all the little people who made it happen. I really feel honored to be in the same club as veteran posters such as Crackberry, Ben J, and r6_philly. To reach this accomplishment in such a short amount of time is just a dream come true.

*takes a bow and leaves the stage to triumphant music*

In all seriousness, I have huge amounts of respect for Asha for making this post. And I'm not just saying that to get in her good graces ;). I hang around at TLS because of the generally opaque nature of law school admissions. This is especially important for those of us who do not currently have access to universities, have IRL friends stressing about this process, and/or Kaplan course advisers and such. If all admissions committees were this transparent we wouldn't need a site like TLS.

I'll just repeat something I said earlier in this thread: I absolutely love how Yale has the admissions process that is simultaneously the most opaque (in terms of results) and transparent (in terms of process). It really means that they are taking a holistic look at applicants in a way no other school (Stanford possibly excepted) does.

Also:
"Some read every LSAT writing sample, and swear by it"
This really frightens me.

EDIT: Edited for typo. Crap. I'm doomed.

Way to suck up. Is that bolded line lifted from TLS' profile of Yale?

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:05 am

T14_Scholly wrote:
notanumber wrote::shock:

I'm famous :D.
and, despite standing behind every post I've made, I'm also a little bit scared.

But first, I'd like to thank my mother, my father, the academy, and all the little people who made it happen. I really feel honored to be in the same club as veteran posters such as Crackberry, Ben J, and r6_philly. To reach this accomplishment in such a short amount of time is just a dream come true.

*takes a bow and leaves the stage to triumphant music*

In all seriousness, I have huge amounts of respect for Asha for making this post. And I'm not just saying that to get in her good graces ;). I hang around at TLS because of the generally opaque nature of law school admissions. This is especially important for those of us who do not currently have access to universities, have IRL friends stressing about this process, and/or Kaplan course advisers and such. If all admissions committees were this transparent we wouldn't need a site like TLS.

I'll just repeat something I said earlier in this thread: I absolutely love how Yale has the admissions process that is simultaneously the most opaque (in terms of results) and transparent (in terms of process). It really means that they are taking a holistic look at applicants in a way no other school (Stanford possibly excepted) does.

Also:
"Some read every LSAT writing sample, and swear by it"
This really frightens me.

EDIT: Edited for typo. Crap. I'm doomed.

Way to suck up. Is that bolded line lifted from TLS' profile of Yale?

It also has the technical tone of someone who is an expert in the admissions process and possibly on the inside track. Suspicious, anyone?

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:29 am

Eh, actually my writing sample isn't half bad. In retrospect, I'm shocked my brain was functioning that well at the end of the test (especially since I thought I'd bombed it and was on the verge of walking out after the first section --> mauve dinosaurs in June '09).

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:53 am

T14_Scholly wrote: Way to suck up. Is that bolded line lifted from TLS' profile of Yale?

:roll:
I'm fairly confident that the admissions folk have no idea who I am. I've not been posting here very long and have consistently lied about enough biographical information on TLS and on LSN that it would be hard to match my IRL file to my online identity. I say what I mean and I mean what I say.

managamy wrote: It also has the technical tone of someone who is an expert in the admissions process and possibly on the inside track. Suspicious, anyone?

Would that that were true. Yale admits for everyone!

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:59 am

notanumber wrote:
T14_Scholly wrote: Way to suck up. Is that bolded line lifted from TLS' profile of Yale?

:roll:
I'm fairly confident that the admissions folk have no idea who I am. I've not been posting here very long and have consistently lied about enough biographical information on TLS and on LSN that it would be hard to match my IRL file to my online identity. I say what I mean and I mean what I say.

managamy wrote: It also has the technical tone of someone who is an expert in the admissions process and possibly on the inside track. Suspicious, anyone?

Would that that were true. Yale admits for everyone!

If I was given a stack with 500-1000 applications I could figure out which one was you, no problem.... Even if you fudged a lot of dates doubtful you fudged them all or by much. So look at complete people from around 1-22 from new jersey who have been out of school for 3+ years and attended a large public school with a 175+ 3.8+. Wouldn't be hard at all.

"I changed the numbers some for you, but still it wouldn't be hard."

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:06 am

Kakarot wrote:If I was given a stack with 500-1000 applications I could figure out which one was you, no problem.... Even if you fudged a lot of dates doubtful you fudged them all or by much. So look at complete people from around 1-22 from new jersey who have been out of school for 3+ years and attended a large public school. Wouldn't be hard at all.

And you're assuming that I was complete 1-22 +/- a week or so, live in Jersey, have been out of school for 3+ years, and went to public school.

One of those is true.

Danger Man isn't my avatar for nothing. ;)
Last edited by notanumber on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:13 am

notanumber wrote:
Kakarot wrote:If I was given a stack with 500-1000 applications I could figure out which one was you, no problem.... Even if you fudged a lot of dates doubtful you fudged them all or by much. So look at complete people from around 1-22 from new jersey who have been out of school for 3+ years and attended a large public school. Wouldn't be hard at all.

And you're assuming that I was complete 1-22 +/- a weeks or so, live in Jersey, have been out of school for 3+ years, and went to public school.

One of those is true.

Danger Man isn't my avatar for nothing. ;)

One of those being true doesn't limit all of those from being true.

I should note, I doubt Dean Asha cares. She knows we all love Yale and would give at least one kidney for it, many of us would probably give both.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:34 am

Kakarot wrote: One of those being true doesn't limit all of those from being true.

Good catch. You're going to make a great lawyer. I'll more properly say: only one of those facts is true.

And I'll be putting in correct LSN info once the cycle is over for anybody so thrilled by this discussion that they want to see the exciting resolution!

My point was just to get all righteously indignant about the accusation of "sucking-up." I mean what I say and I seriously doubt anything I write here will impact my file - positively or negatively.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”