Yale 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kronk

Re: Yale 2010

Postby Kronk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:51 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:I honestly wouldn't mind a Yale rejection or waitlist. They are an obvious top 2 choice for me, but I'm sick of not knowing where I'm going to live. Also, if it ends up I'm in the Bay Area, I plan to move to San Francisco in May, so I'd like to start setting that up.

Of course, I wouldn't mind moving to Connecticut, either.

Are you gonna live in SF if you go to BoalTTT?

For the summer, and then move to Berkeley.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:53 pm

BenJ wrote:Anyone who didn't know (or at least expect; I don't think all or even most schools read TLS regularly, but some certainly do) we were being observed really shouldn't have been here in the first place.

Asha is one of the only adcomms I've ever seen that say she has enough time for this. Probably because they have a class of 200 and a very high standard for auto-rejections. I would imagine Dean Deal could do it too, but I've never seen an interview with her. Most interviewers say they browse from time to time but generally are very busy during the app season.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:02 pm

Kronk wrote:
BenJ wrote:Anyone who didn't know (or at least expect; I don't think all or even most schools read TLS regularly, but some certainly do) we were being observed really shouldn't have been here in the first place.

Asha is one of the only adcomms I've ever seen that say she has enough time for this. Probably because they have a class of 200 and a very high standard for auto-rejections. I would imagine Dean Deal could do it too, but I've never seen an interview with her. Most interviewers say they browse from time to time but generally are very busy during the app season.

I would think a small class would take more time to assemble rather than less. Although Yale's smaller applicant pool due to its extreme selectivity would definitely help in that regard.

Pausanias

Postby Pausanias » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:13 pm

Cripes, that Asha is some adcomm. I feel partly chastened, partly inspired.
Last edited by Pausanias on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:38 pm

capitalacq wrote:http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/archive/2010/02/12/your-burning-questions-answered.aspx

lol

So awesome. After reading that post, I'm trying to decide which would be the bigger win: getting accepted by Yale or getting Asha to go out on a date with me.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:43 pm

Dignan wrote:
capitalacq wrote:http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/archive/2010/02/12/your-burning-questions-answered.aspx

lol

So awesome. After reading that post, I'm trying to decide which would be the bigger win: getting accepted by Yale or getting Asha to go out on a date with me.

If the date goes well, they might not be mutually exclusive.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:02 pm

if you think about it, it really isn't that hard to follow this thread in particular.

the whole forum could be cumbersome, but perhaps the dean enjoys reading the latest 1-2 pages of the good old "Yale 2010" thread over an evening cup of tea after a long day of admissions work.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:10 pm

englawyer wrote:if you think about it, it really isn't that hard to follow this thread in particular.

the whole forum could be cumbersome, but perhaps the dean enjoys reading the latest 1-2 pages of the good old "Yale 2010" thread over an evening cup of tea after a long day of admissions work.

Maybe my witticisms here compensated for my lack of softs.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:15 pm

:shock:

I'm famous :D.
and, despite standing behind every post I've made, I'm also a little bit scared.

But first, I'd like to thank my mother, my father, the academy, and all the little people who made it happen. I really feel honored to be in the same club as veteran posters such as Crackberry, Ben J, and r6_philly. To reach this accomplishment in such a short amount of time is just a dream come true.

*takes a bow and leaves the stage to triumphant music*

In all seriousness, I have huge amounts of respect for Asha for making this post. And I'm not just saying that to get in her good graces ;). I hang around at TLS because of the generally opaque nature of law school admissions. This is especially important for those of us who do not currently have access to universities, have IRL friends stressing about this process, and/or Kaplan course advisers and such. If all admissions committees were this transparent we wouldn't need a site like TLS.

I'll just repeat something I said earlier in this thread: I absolutely love how Yale has the admissions process that is simultaneously the most opaque (in terms of results) and transparent (in terms of process). It really means that they are taking a holistic look at applicants in a way no other school (Stanford possibly excepted) does.

Also:
"Some read every LSAT writing sample, and swear by it"
This really frightens me.

EDIT: Edited for typo. Crap. I'm doomed.
Last edited by notanumber on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:21 pm

Haha, that is quite the shout out from Asha. You guys really should feel famous.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:22 pm

notanumber wrote:Also:

Yeah. Yikes. I didn't blow off the writing sample the way some people do, but it definitely isn't going to win me a Pulitzer.

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:25 pm

crackberry wrote:

Yeah. Yikes. I didn't blow off the writing sample the way some people do, but it definitely isn't going to win me a Pulitzer.

No worries. Mine was quite possibly the worst piece of prose that I've written since eighth grade.

BioEBear2010

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:25 pm

crackberry wrote:

Haha, I was actually proud of my writing sample. I read it over recently and was surprised that I composed a somewhat cohesive argument after the 3 hours of testing.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:26 pm

I drew a stick-figure rendition of the Pilgrims and American Indians who took part in the first Thanksgiving for my writing sample, so hopefully that adds something to my file.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:29 pm

Kronk wrote:I drew a stick-figure rendition of the Pilgrims and American Indians who took part in the first Thanksgiving for my writing sample, so hopefully that adds something to my file.

I hope this is serious.

Also, I forgot I can read the PDF of what I wrote. I'm going to read that this afternoon after I finish something just a little bit more important (coming soon BioE).

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:29 pm

does yale use snail-mail for all rejections?

ConMan345

Postby ConMan345 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:30 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:Haha, I was actually proud of my writing sample. I read it over recently and was surprised that I composed a somewhat cohesive argument after the 3 hours of testing.

Likewise--having just read it again, I think it holds together quite nicely.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:34 pm

crackberry wrote:

I didn't blow it off, but I certainly had fun with it. I made a bunch of fairly sardonic jokes about theater as art that somebody who was looking for a substantively scholarly essay might hate.

Perhaps I should retake my LSAT in order to improve my writing sample? ;)

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:35 pm

My feelings are actually a little hurt that she didn't write anything to me. :|

Just kidding, she sounds awesome. :D

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:50 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:
crackberry wrote:

Haha, I was actually proud of my writing sample. I read it over recently and was surprised that I composed a somewhat cohesive argument after the 3 hours of testing.

Me, too. I hope, if I make it to faculty review, I get one of the professors who loves the LSAT writing sample.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:51 pm

It would have been even more awesome if Dean Asha had used all of your real first names. You know she knows them now right? :shock:

Wanted to add, I love Yale. And it would be wonderful to my UG if I were to go there. :wink:

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:54 pm

Kakarot wrote:It would have been even more awesome if Dean Asha had used all of your real first names. You know she knows them now right? :shock:

Wanted to add, I love Yale. And it would be wonderful to my UG if I were to go there. :wink:

haha i am just glad i was on the "right" side of the whole "does yale auto-admit based on numbers" debate. maybe that is a plus for my app :P

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:02 pm

I am utterly a dork trying to figure out what name Dean Asha goes by on TLS. She would need a profile of her own to see a member's profile. Thus, she must have a profile. I think she should auto admit whoever finds it. Pretty sure it has a reference to SNL in it with her bad idea jeans blog. I don't know if it would have pm's enabled or disabled though.

Then again she may not care enough to want to see our profiles. I don't know, but the time invested to be able to do it is so slim why wouldn't she. Plus my son is snuggling with me right now watching a cartoon before bed.

Double Edit: I just wanted to note my son gets to watch one show a night before bed to calm down as part of his routine. I can only take so much Yo Gabba Gabba without getting on my computer. Just so everyone knows the routine goes: I give him a bath, then show, then read a story, then brush teeth and take medicine, then bed.
Last edited by Unitas on Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:03 pm

crackberry wrote:

I remember reading that U of Chicago takes the writing sample seriously. Like, so seriously that they actually score it.

Anyway, Asha's main point was that "you never know" with Yale. Although there is one professor who apparently swears by the writing sample, most of them probably don't even look at it.

crackberry

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Dignan wrote:
crackberry wrote:

I remember reading that U of Chicago takes the writing sample seriously. Like, so seriously that they actually score it.

Anyway, Asha's main point was that "you never know" with Yale. Although there is one professor who apparently swears by the writing sample, most of them probably don't even look at it.

Well, maybe that explains my Chicago WL...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”