Yale 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
owhlcn

Bronze

Re: Yale 2010

Post by owhlcn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:30 am

GeePee wrote:
owhlcn wrote:tbh @ this point i'd almost prefer a ding, just so i could move forward...a WL would be good news for sure but definitely stressful. at any rate here's hoping that we all hear SOMETHING tomorrow.
Why are you so stressed when you know you want to be at HLS anyway? ;)
haha GP with the 6 billion $ question. i think i just need some closure before i can really commit. maybe (likely) a weird way of thinking about it, but so it goes.

and r6: you're awesome. just, yeah.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:39 pm

I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has written me or replied! You guys are awesome and so kind! For little old me!

I never stopped dreaming, even through the hardest of days. I used to sit in the LA train station watching people. Even though I had nothing, I always dreamed that one day it would be me who is happy and have everything in life. It is so gratifying to be able to work toward that. I know people tell me that any premier law school would be a great place to further my career and my aspirations. They are right of course (yes Herb, you are). But coming from the lowest of all lows, I always aspired to reach the highest of all highs when I reach for something. I didn't want to come off as some elitist who is so caught up in prestige that only Yale will satifsy my ego. I want to spend the rest of my life, if not anything else, inspiring young people that no matter how unlikely a task is, there is nothing wrong with trying to be the best. You don't always succeed, but it's ok if you want try again or find another way to succeed. The real failure is not trying, there are so many in this world who have just given up. I have met countless people who was complacent being poor, homeless and hopeless, I really wished to show them that if I could do it, they could too. Yale would have been a perfect place for me, maybe. Maybe I am not the perfect kind of student for them though. I can reconcile with that fact if that is the case. 8)

Always dream big! (and don't ever give up hope)

LawStriker

New

Post by LawStriker » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:27 pm

I have been following you guys all season, but I have never posted. Thank you for you words of encouragement.

I went complete in mid-January and I am still waiting. Should I be expecting a call or an email?

owhlcn

Bronze

Post by owhlcn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:31 pm

LawStriker wrote:I have been following you guys all season, but I have never posted. Thank you for you words of encouragement.

I went complete in mid-January and I am still waiting. Should I be expecting a call or an email?
imo, unclear @ this point. my personal theory is that we'll see a second batch of WLs/rejections late today (both via email with snail mail to follow, as i understand it.) as for any further admits, no one knows -- but that's the only scenario in which you'd be receiving a phone call (unless the folks @ yls had a question about your app, which is possible but unlikely.) $.02.

edit: good luck -- welcome to the "still waiting" club :D

LawStriker

New

Post by LawStriker » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:39 pm

owhlcn wrote:
LawStriker wrote:I have been following you guys all season, but I have never posted. Thank you for you words of encouragement.

imo, unclear @ this point. my personal theory is that we'll see a second batch of WLs/rejections late today (both via email with snail mail to follow, as i understand it.) as for any further admits, no one knows -- but that's the only scenario in which you'd be receiving a phone call (unless the folks @ yls had a question about your app, which is possible but unlikely.) $.02.

I hate this club.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

owhlcn

Bronze

Post by owhlcn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:43 pm

LawStriker wrote:
owhlcn wrote:

I hate this club.
believe me, i would like nothing more than to no longer be a member. but at least you're in reasonably good company...

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:I feel like I should provide a little perspective now that the decision is out. I have hinted it at this, but I decided not to put it out there at the time. I have no desire for anonymity, I am who I am.

I am not bitter. I don't know how much credit I would give myself if I was a Yale professor or admissions director.

I am that poor guy who was homeless as a teenager after getting kicked out by a relative/guardian, who was almost a murder victim after being raped. Some guy whose first job was holding a tray giving out chicken samples in from of a chinese food place in the mall while living in a train station after work. Someone who has a GED and took 13 years to finish freshman year but sprinted through the last 3 years of college in 1.5 years with a 4.0.

My brain was injured during birth, my mother almost died and it was thought that I would be developmentally challenged. I had severe allegy and immune deficiency and athsma that kept me in the hospital for 2 years before I was 10. We were told more than once that I would not live until 18.

You can say that I have not been lucky at all in life. Or I have been extremely lucky to be able to survive and achieve many things I have desired and dreamed about.

I realized my childhood dream of becoming a professional motorcycle racer after spending my entire 20's to do it. It took years of practicing, 4 hospital stays, and 1 out of body experience near death, but I did it. I won a national race.

I don't know if I am Yale material (I'd like to think so), but I do know that I always try my best. That's what counts most in life.

:)
Was this your 250 essay? About the right length, would've been a good one.

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:00 pm

owhlcn wrote:

Just to clarify, you get an e-mail AS WELL AS snail mail when you are rejected or placed on WL? I am currently in a different hemisphere and won't be able to check my mail for a while

goober88

New

Post by goober88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:07 pm

Just got a waitlist email...........at least the wait is over (despite the irony of having my decision be "wait longer")

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:00 pm

drdolittle wrote: Was this your 250 essay? About the right length, would've been a good one.
No my PS was about this and a bit more. My 250 was about realizing my racing dream. There are more to my story that I couldn't fit into a 250. I don't know, I thought my essays were decent, at least the contents were.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:46 pm

... So how many people are left standing? This is sort of bizarre.

lta

New

Post by lta » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:52 pm

left standing

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:21 pm

Didn't stay on the waitlist. It was harder to decline the waitlist than you withdraw from any school I withdrew from this cycle. Oh well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:22 pm

left standing

fingerscrossed88

New

Post by fingerscrossed88 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:06 pm

Waitlisted yesterday -- is it weird that I was actually kind of excited? I mean, if they really do waitlist only 100-ish people, it still puts you in the top ~280 applicants to have applied ... not gonna lie, I was kinda pumped.

I wonder if I can ask them for, like, half a coffee mug. Maybe a shotglass.

owhlcn

Bronze

Post by owhlcn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:10 pm

called yale today, in a fit of something absurd. the woman i spoke with said the following things:

1) all acceptances have already been given out. all remaining decisions are waitlists/rejections.
2) the remaining waitlists/rejections will be sent out by the early part of next week at the latest, and more likely by the end of the weekend.
3) they still have yet to make a decision on my application personally.

so, left standing, but expecting a wl/ding any day.

expat

New

Post by expat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Those of you who've received the WL and are planning on sticking it out (or not, for that matter) should join me over here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 7&t=114912

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:35 pm

I didn't get anything today, but I'm sure I'll get my rejection next week. Edit: Or this weekend, if thats what they are doing.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:24 am

So my fratboy roommate had a party a few hours ago that just ended. Apparently they had a good time, I heard a lot of yelling out there as I was trying to sleep. "No big deal," I thought, "it's cool as long as they don't touch the beer I have in the fridge, but it's Guiness, not Natty Lite, so they probably can't stand it anyway." They just left. I felt like having a midnight snack so I got some mac and cheese from the fridge and popped open the microwave.

THERE IS A FUCKING DEAD SQUIRREL IN MY MICROWAVE.

This is why I can't wait to go to Yale.

ali & ali

New

Post by ali & ali » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:48 am

THERE IS A FUCKING DEAD SQUIRREL IN MY MICROWAVE.

This is why I can't wait to go to Yale.

Because the poverty-stricken indigent population of New Haven probably eats far less nutritious food on a regular basis? At least it will make your cafeteria food seem better. :D

barca

New

Post by barca » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:32 am

waitlisted (Friday) via e-mail. I think i'll just call it a game and make the decision for HLS.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:33 am

fingerscrossed88 wrote:Waitlisted yesterday -- is it weird that I was actually kind of excited? I mean, if they really do waitlist only 100-ish people, it still puts you in the top ~280 applicants to have applied ... not gonna lie, I was kinda pumped.

I wonder if I can ask them for, like, half a coffee mug. Maybe a shotglass.
Not weird at all. Good luck to you on the waitlist - with your attitude about being on the waitlist I hope you get in :-D

SanBun

Silver

Post by SanBun » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:29 pm

r6_philly wrote:I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has written me or replied! You guys are awesome and so kind! For little old me!

I never stopped dreaming, even through the hardest of days. I used to sit in the LA train station watching people. Even though I had nothing, I always dreamed that one day it would be me who is happy and have everything in life. It is so gratifying to be able to work toward that. I know people tell me that any premier law school would be a great place to further my career and my aspirations. They are right of course (yes Herb, you are). But coming from the lowest of all lows, I always aspired to reach the highest of all highs when I reach for something. I didn't want to come off as some elitist who is so caught up in prestige that only Yale will satifsy my ego. I want to spend the rest of my life, if not anything else, inspiring young people that no matter how unlikely a task is, there is nothing wrong with trying to be the best. You don't always succeed, but it's ok if you want try again or find another way to succeed. The real failure is not trying, there are so many in this world who have just given up. I have met countless people who was complacent being poor, homeless and hopeless, I really wished to show them that if I could do it, they could too. Yale would have been a perfect place for me, maybe. Maybe I am not the perfect kind of student for them though. I can reconcile with that fact if that is the case. 8)

you inspire me and many others. Thank you.

ToriM

New

Post by ToriM » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:38 pm

SanBun wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has written me or replied! You guys are awesome and so kind! For little old me!

you inspire me and many others. Thank you.
+1

I'm overseas at the moment, and often have a hard time explaining to my smug European friends why things like the PS and one's personal life story have any bearing on the law school admissions process. Thanks for reminding me again why soft factors matter. Keep on trucking (as I'm sure you will) and you'll get where you want to be eventually. Any law school would be lucky to have you.

owhlcn

Bronze

Post by owhlcn » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:54 pm

ding via email. expected to be pretty bummed, but to be honest, i'm relieved it's not a wl -- cycle's over! headed to cambridge and thrilled about it. best of luck to any on the WL or still waiting to hear. i can now out myself as a yale UG and say that new haven's wonderful and yale is a fantastic place to spend time in any capacity for three years. i'll miss it, but it's time to move on!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”