Yale 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CardinalRules

Gold

Re: Yale 2010

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:34 pm

knola002 wrote:
englawyer wrote:calling HYS the holy trinity is pretty funny because I suspect that a sizable number of people going there are non-believers. if your logic skills are that good... :wink:
Love it.
FWIW, I'm Catholic and did better on the logic games than any of the other sections. Going to check out the movie, though, based on its rave reviews around here. :D

knola002

Bronze

Post by knola002 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:41 pm

managamy wrote:
knola002 wrote:
englawyer wrote:calling HYS the holy trinity is pretty funny because I suspect that a sizable number of people going there are non-believers. if your logic skills are that good... :wink:
Love it.
FWIW, I'm Catholic and did better on the logic games than any of the other sections. Going to check out the movie, though, based on its rave reviews around here. :D
As having a polite conversation about religion and reason is an impossibility over the Internet (not that I wouldn't be interested in hearing your thoughts), I apologize if my agreement with the above comment rubbed you the wrong way. Princess Bride is awesome, enjoy.

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:43 pm

managamy wrote:
owhlcn wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
Good catch. I credit The Princess Bride.
just for the record, i credit the princess bride for everything.
Full disclosure: I have no idea what The Princess Bride is.

Vizzini wrote:Inconceivable!

owhlcn

Bronze

Post by owhlcn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:46 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
managamy wrote:
owhlcn wrote:
VoidSix wrote:
Good catch. I credit The Princess Bride.
just for the record, i credit the princess bride for everything.
Full disclosure: I have no idea what The Princess Bride is.

Vizzini wrote:Inconceivable!
HAHA you win, hands down

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:52 pm

knola002 wrote:
managamy wrote:
knola002 wrote:
Love it.
As having a polite conversation about religion and reason is an impossibility over the Internet (not that I wouldn't be interested in hearing your thoughts), I apologize if my agreement with the above comment rubbed you the wrong way. Princess Bride is awesome, enjoy.
No, it didn't at all. I actually think that it can be a fascinating intellectual exercise to reconcile Cathollic beliefs with the demands of modern society, and St. Augustine's argument on evil is brilliant from a logical perspective.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:54 pm

St. Augustine is my patron saint. <3

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:56 pm

managamy wrote:
No, it didn't at all. I actually think that it can be a fascinating intellectual exercise to reconcile Cathollic beliefs with the demands of modern society, and St. Augustine's argument on evil is brilliant from a logical perspective.
You mean his argument that there is no problem of evil, because there is no evil? That what we call evil is just good that's been corrupted? But how do you solve the problem of corrupted goods?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:59 pm

Just to clarify, is this film the same one that you're recommending? Haha, I expected something a lot less harmless. :wink:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/

If it is, I'd recommend "Donkey Skin," a French film with the same fairytale-like premise starring Catherine Deneuve and directed by Jacques Demy of "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" fame, with music by Michel Legrand.

@TH: I think that we are naturally too ignorant (in our inferior position as humans) to understand that what appears to be evil to us is actually not evil from God's perspective, which by definition is the only righteous one.

owhlcn

Bronze

Post by owhlcn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:00 pm

managamy wrote:Just to clarify, is this film the same one that you're recommending? Haha, I expected something a lot less harmless. :wink:

If it is, I'd recommend "Donkey Skin," a French film with the same fairytale-like premise starring Catherine Deneuve and directed by Jacques Demy of "Umbrellas of Cherbourg" fame, with music by Michel Legrand.
YES THIS IS IT now go watch

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:21 pm

managamy wrote:Just to clarify, is this film the same one that you're recommending? Haha, I expected something a lot less harmless. :wink:

@TH: I think that we are naturally too ignorant (in our inferior position as humans) to understand that what appears to be evil to us is actually not evil from God's perspective, which by definition is the only righteous one.
I guess there's nothing logically inconsistent about using the "we just don't know" solution to the problem of evil, but that seems like a pretty big bullet to bite. At that point, I don't think you're using Augustine's argument, either. The "we just don't know" solution isn't really a brilliant innovation that we can credit to St. Augustine.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:22 pm

tomhobbes wrote:

I guess there's nothing logically inconsistent about using the "we just don't know" solution to the problem of evil, but that seems like a pretty big bullet to bite. At that point, I don't think you're using Augustine's argument, either. The "we just don't know" solution isn't really a brilliant innovation that we can credit to St. Augustine.

I think Augustine would argue that the problem of evil isn't really a problem if you have read and processed the Bible.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:27 pm

Good point by V6.

Just to clarify, I don't necessarily advocate all Catholic beliefs; some of them are highly embarrassing. Also, I wouldn't describe myself as "fervently religious" or anything near it.

When I was 10 or 12, I wanted to be a priest. Then I found out about the celibacy part.

Probably we should be careful how much we discuss religion around here, however, since there could be people reading these posts who might take serious and unwarranted offense.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:30 pm

VoidSix wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:

I think Augustine would argue that the problem of evil isn't really a problem if you have read and processed the Bible.
"Problem of Evil" was my favorite class in UG. Not to digress further from the merits of Princess Bride in the Yale forum, or anything...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

owhlcn

Bronze

Post by owhlcn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:32 pm

Kretzy wrote:
"Problem of Evil" was my favorite class in UG. Not to digress further from the merits of Princess Bride in the Yale forum, or anything...
serves Yale right, if they'd admit a few more people maybe we'd have more to talk about.

sorry sorry sorry Yale <3 i promise

Lysis

Bronze

Post by Lysis » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:33 pm

owhlcn wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
serves Yale right, if they'd admit a few more people maybe we'd have more to talk about.

QFT. I applied recently so I don't expect to hear until, you know, June. But there's always hope.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:34 pm

owhlcn wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

They'd probably rather have us continue to discuss elevated philosophical and theological issues instead of mundane stuff like phone calls.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:36 pm

managamy wrote:Good point by V6.

Just to clarify, I don't necessarily advocate all Catholic beliefs; some of them are highly embarrassing. Also, I wouldn't describe myself as "fervently religious" or anything near it.

When I was 10 or 12, I wanted to be a priest. Then I found out about the celibacy part.

Probably we should be careful how much we discuss religion around here, however, since there could be people reading these posts who might take serious and unwarranted offense.
Alright, I don't want to come across as the angry atheist. I just like talking philosophy, whether it's about God or something else.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

owhlcn

Bronze

Post by owhlcn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:37 pm

tomhobbes wrote: Alright, I don't want to come across as the angry atheist. I just like talking philosophy, whether it's about God or something else.
angry atheist + 1, no worries

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:39 pm

tomhobbes wrote:

Alright, I don't want to come across as the angry atheist. I just like talking philosophy, whether it's about God or something else.
Me too! :D I hope that law school doesn't mean the end of this sort of discussion for either of us.

FWIW, I suspect that neither of you are any more "angry atheists" than I am an "angry apostate." :wink:

owhlcn

Bronze

Post by owhlcn » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:40 pm

Lysis wrote:
owhlcn wrote:
Kretzy wrote:

QFT. I applied recently so I don't expect to hear until, you know, June. But there's always hope.
but june is so far. also, pm'ed you.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:41 pm

managamy wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:

Me too! :D I hope that law school doesn't mean the end of this sort of discussion for either of us.

FWIW, I suspect that neither of you are any more "angry atheists" than I am an "angry apostate." :wink:
It's hard to be an "angry Episcopalian." Dammit. I knew I should've stayed at New Life Church with Pastor Ted :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:54 pm

FWIW, just reread Judges, and God makes the Israelites slaves to about thirty other nations. Nearly every chapter starts with "Israel once again did evil in the eyes of the Lord, and so he gave them to __________ (insert Midianites, Ammorites, etc.) for _______ years."

God's benevolence is definitely a complex issue.

/religious arguing

drsomebody

New

Post by drsomebody » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:57 pm

Kretzy wrote: It's hard to be an "angry Episcopalian."
No harder than my being an angry agnostic. I DON'T HAVE AN ANSWER AND YOU DON'T EITHER!!! ;)

But seriously, religion can be a wonderful and uplifting thing for some people. It can also be used for great evil.

Kind of like a Yale education.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:57 pm

drsomebody wrote:
No harder than my being an angry agnostic. I DON'T HAVE AN ANSWER AND YOU DON'T EITHER!!! ;)

But seriously, religion can be a wonderful and uplifting thing for some people. It can also be used for great evil.

Sounds like a good theme for a 250. :P

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:58 pm

drsomebody wrote:

Pat Robertson is a prime example of the great evil of both of those things. ;)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”