Yale 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CardinalRules

Gold

Re: Yale 2010

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:23 am

vanwinkle wrote:
managamy wrote:Save it for the other thread. He has some pretty impressive softs, anyway.
Didn't you tell people you were leaving TLS or something?
There has been a lengthy discussion about this issue over on the Chicago thread, which you probably haven't read. To sum it up, I withdrew from the remaining schools, including yours. If you still have issues, you're welcome to send me a PM, but please don't derail this thread as has happened in the past.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:27 am

managamy wrote:There has been a lengthy discussion about this issue over on the Chicago thread, which you probably haven't read. To sum it up, I withdrew from the remaining schools, including yours. If you still have issues, you're welcome to send me a PM, but please don't derail this thread as has happened in the past.
...well, that's a nice change of heart, and I'll drop my complaints about you as a result. Sorry, carry on.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:11 am

Dignan wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Dignan wrote:
managamy wrote: Hmm, I feel that Stanford is just a little more reliable than YLS, but I could be wrong.
Well, SLS accepts almost twice as many applicants as YLS, so that makes SLS seem a tad bit more reliable.
i don't know, i agree with crackberry. SLS is pretty darn unreliable:
I agree that SLS is pretty darn unpredictable. They are certainly less predictable than HLS and CLS. But as unpredictable/unreliable as YLS? I don't think so.
No, not as unreliable as YLS but just as unreliable - if not more so - than Berkeley.

donald

New

Post by donald » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:15 am

I had a typo on my yale 250. I wanted to write "it is" but instead wrote "it." So it says: "it evident." As opposed to "it is evident." Should I email them, send them a new one? I sent the app in about a month ago but got the complete about a week ago.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:16 am

crackberry wrote:
Dignan wrote: I agree that SLS is pretty darn unpredictable. They are certainly less predictable than HLS and CLS. But as unpredictable/unreliable as YLS? I don't think so.
No, not as unreliable as YLS but just as unreliable - if not more so - than Berkeley.
Agreed. I suspect that SLS and Berkeley are similarly attentive to holistic factors. However, SLS's greater selectivity (400 admits versus 800 admits) makes them even less reliable than Berkeley, imo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

coollegemex

Bronze

Post by coollegemex » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:20 am

I'm out - thought I had a small chance at nabbing one of those 7 hispanic male spots haha.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:29 am

coollegemex wrote:I'm out - thought I had a small chance at nabbing one of those 7 hispanic male spots haha.
You, like skynet, now have the awful misfortune of having to pick between HLS and SLS. Poor thing.

coollegemex

Bronze

Post by coollegemex » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:33 am

crackberry wrote:
coollegemex wrote:I'm out - thought I had a small chance at nabbing one of those 7 hispanic male spots haha.
You, like skynet, now have the awful misfortune of having to pick between HLS and SLS. Poor thing.
beautiful misfortune haha Good luck to the rest of you!

picaresco

New

Post by picaresco » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:51 am

Is the only ASW in April or are there others as well?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:20 am

picaresco wrote:Is the only ASW in April or are there others as well?
There are also two Monday programs offered as alternatives; they're generally attended in much lower numbers (only 8-10 people each). I definitely recommend that admits go to the April "weekend" program if they can - it's just much cooler. :)

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:24 am

rabbit9198 wrote:
There are also two Monday programs offered as alternatives; they're generally attended in much lower numbers (only 8-10 people each). I definitely recommend that admits go to the April "weekend" program if they can - it's just much cooler. :)
I imagine that the weather is better in late April, too :D

I've heard that it's good to visit sometime on your own, too, because you get to experience Yale without all the show. Any merit to this, Rabbit (or any other current Yale students)?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:49 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
rabbit9198 wrote:
I imagine that the weather is better in late April, too :D

I've heard that it's good to visit sometime on your own, too, because you get to experience Yale without all the show. Any merit to this, Rabbit (or any other current Yale students)?
He might be referring to something that I told him about undergraduate admit weekends and a personal preference of mine. The comment didn't specifically concern YLS or even Yale, just ASWs in general.

Inches

New

Post by Inches » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:52 am

Veritas wrote:
Inches wrote:ding dang dong, no Yale for me.

good luck to all the rest, and here are my details:

Applied: 10/08/09
Complete: 10/17/09

LSAT: 172
GPA: 3.94

Strong recs, rare softs and a weak, weak, weak 250.
why would you submit a weak x 3 250 if you are applying to yale? Don't you want to make your application as good as possible? Seems like a waste of time/money to apply knowing your materials are below your own estimation of par.
ouch, rubbin' it in, eh?

truth be told, I felt lukewarm about the 250 when I submitted, and my concern only grew as the weeks passed. I guess you can make the argument that I must not have been fully invested in my YLS app, to have knowingly submitted anything less than my best work, but I'm working overseas and have a lot of things on my plate that rank as higher priorities than admissions essays, so that's the way I let the cookie crumble.

of course that's not to say that my 250 is what did me in, I may have just been straight-up unworthy! I'm feeling alright about it all, since HLS vs SLS will be enough of a dilemma, and I hadn't been able to psych myself up for three years in New Haven.

may the rest of you fare better with Yale!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:01 am

Inches wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Inches wrote:ding dang dong, no Yale for me.

good luck to all the rest, and here are my details:

Applied: 10/08/09
Complete: 10/17/09

LSAT: 172
GPA: 3.94

Strong recs, rare softs and a weak, weak, weak 250.
why would you submit a weak x 3 250 if you are applying to yale? Don't you want to make your application as good as possible? Seems like a waste of time/money to apply knowing your materials are below your own estimation of par.
ouch, rubbin' it in, eh?

truth be told, I felt lukewarm about the 250 when I submitted, and my concern only grew as the weeks passed. I guess you can make the argument that I must not have been fully invested in my YLS app, to have knowingly submitted anything less than my best work, but I'm working overseas and have a lot of things on my plate that rank as higher priorities than admissions essays, so that's the way I let the cookie crumble.

of course that's not to say that my 250 is what did me in, I may have just been straight-up unworthy! I'm feeling alright about it all, since HLS vs SLS will be enough of a dilemma, and I hadn't been able to psych myself up for three years in New Haven.

may the rest of you fare better with Yale!
No kidding on the bolded statement. PM me if you want to talk about it, since it's my main choice too.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:48 am

managamy wrote:
Inches wrote:HLS vs SLS will be enough of a dilemma
No kidding. PM me if you want to talk about it, since it's my main choice too.
See also Coollegemex and skynet for this dilemma.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:06 am

crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:
Thanks! Maybe we should start a thread.

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:12 am

managamy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
managamy wrote:
Thanks! Maybe we should start a thread.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=105107

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ankit

Bronze

Post by ankit » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:07 pm

Received the rejection today, here in Asia. The inevitability of it all didn't dull the pain much....

rabbit9198

Bronze

Post by rabbit9198 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:07 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote: I've heard that it's good to visit sometime on your own, too, because you get to experience Yale without all the show. Any merit to this, Rabbit (or any other current Yale students)?
It wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't really think it's necessary - especially if you'll be at Yale for a couple days in April. The Admitted Student Program (it's not actually a weekend, exactly...) is designed to give you enough time to participate in formal programming and also to meet informally with students and to spend some time exploring the school, the wider Yale University, and New Haven on your own. And while we do put on a good "show," I don't think that it's particularly "show"-y, if that makes sense...nobody is going to tell you something at the ASP that they wouldn't tell you at any other time. I think we're actually pretty good about acknowledging the fact that while Yale is a great place, it's not THE place for everyone - and current students are certainly happy to talk to you about the good and not-as-good parts of Yale and any other schools you might be considering (and yes, many of us DID seriously consider other schools, even if we now think that Yale was absolutely 100% the best choice for us personally).

Reasons you might want to come another time:
* You're just SO excited about Yale that you can't wait till April - and you're located relatively close by;
* You have a scholarship deadline at another school that "expires" before you'd have a chance to come to the ASP and make an educated decision that way;
* You really want to have a good sense of what classes are like here, and are worried you won't get much of a chance to see that during the April "weekend" (because you can sit in on a good number of classes on the April Thursday, but if for some reason you don't get into New Haven till late in the day or Friday, you may not have many opportunities to sit in on classes since very few meet on Friday). Or if you want to meet with specific faculty members one-on-one and aren't sure you'll want to take time out of the ASP to do that (though you'll probably have more than enough time to do it, if you want to, in April).

Moba

New

Post by Moba » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:22 pm

Guys, how did you hear from Yale? was it an email? (I know acceptances are phone calls... but rejections?)

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:30 pm

Moba wrote:Guys, how did you hear from Yale? was it an email? (I know acceptances are phone calls... but rejections?)
Rejections via regular mail.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Avoided rejection. Considering this a small victory.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:49 pm

VoidSix wrote:Avoided rejection. Considering this a small victory.
I am avoiding a rejection by not submitting an application. The strategy is working well.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:49 pm

Dignan wrote:
I am avoiding a rejection by not submitting an application. The strategy is working well.
Hmmm. I admit it, you are better than I am.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:51 pm

VoidSix wrote:
Dignan wrote:
Hmmm. I admit it, you are better than I am.
Nice word choice.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”