Yale 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Confused&Pissed

New

Re: Yale 2010

Post by Confused&Pissed » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:04 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
Confused&Pissed wrote:I am not applying until October, but Asha makes we want to go to Yale so bad :lol: I can only imagine the kind of support systems for enrolled students, if admits are given such consideration. I'm not trying to kiss up (like I said I did not apply) I just think she's rad...Yes I said rad. 8)
I visited on a random Tuesday in early February, and YLS really opened up its doors for me. I was able to meet with the Financial Aid, Career Development, and Admissions Offices, speak with faculty members, students, and Dean Post, and attend a talk about the AIG financial crisis -- a pretty amazing experience for a public school kid :D
Yet your on the fence...Dude seriously :roll:

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:06 am

Confused&Pissed wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
Confused&Pissed wrote:I am not applying until October, but Asha makes we want to go to Yale so bad :lol: I can only imagine the kind of support systems for enrolled students, if admits are given such consideration. I'm not trying to kiss up (like I said I did not apply) I just think she's rad...Yes I said rad. 8)
I visited on a random Tuesday in early February, and YLS really opened up its doors for me. I was able to meet with the Financial Aid, Career Development, and Admissions Offices, speak with faculty members, students, and Dean Post, and attend a talk about the AIG financial crisis -- a pretty amazing experience for a public school kid :D
There's something else there called snow.

Confused&Pissed

New

Post by Confused&Pissed » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:15 am

CardinalRules wrote:
Confused&Pissed wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
There's something else there called snow.

If snow will keep you from Yale, I question you as a person...BTW Cardinal, congratz on all of your accomplishments, I'd wish you luck, but that would make the world even more unfair.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:18 am

Confused&Pissed wrote:
CardinalRules wrote: There's something else there called snow.
If snow will keep you from Yale, I question you as a person...
The reason I haven't made a decision isn't because of weather or anything else intrinsically "wrong" with Yale. It's just that Stanford arguably fits my career goals and personal interests better.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:22 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
Confused&Pissed wrote:
The reason I haven't made a decision isn't because of weather or anything else intrinsically "wrong" with Yale. It's just that Stanford arguably fits my career goals and personal interests better.
Heresy! Can't you read the USNWR rankings? A ranking of "1" is better than a ranking of "3." I would think that even a graduate of a public university could understand that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:24 am

Dignan wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:
Confused&Pissed wrote:
Heresy! Can't you read the USNWR rankings? A ranking of "1" is better than a ranking of "3." I would think that even a graduate of a public university could understand that.
Unfortunately I haven't graduated yet :D

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:27 am

BioEBear2010 wrote:
Confused&Pissed wrote:
I was just kidding about the snow. Health is a major personal concern for me, though, so there is reason for the weather to loom large in my specific considerations.

And thanks for the good wishes, C & P. All the best to you too. :D

chelita

New

Post by chelita » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:11 pm

zabagabe wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:A quick update (numbers courtesy of LSN):

Yale: 21 acceptances
Stanford: 40 acceptances

These numbers exclude obvious flames.
So I know Stanford accepted 66 or so people last year, what about Yale? 40?
Last year:

Yale: 49 acceptances
Stanford: 63 acceptances

Didn't check for flames.

Could Yale still have 60 percent of its acceptances outstanding? I find that sort of unbelievable.
My guess, based on the current size of the facebook group, is that this is not unlikely.

Interesting... Thanks for compiling the info. As someone who applied in October, I'm trying to figure out what is taking so long. Is it possible it just takes this long to read applications or I'm I destined for the waitlist? Or maybe they're just taking an extra long time to reject people? Anyone else in a similar position? It would be nice to know what's going on.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:58 pm

chelita wrote:
Interesting... Thanks for compiling the info. As someone who applied in October, I'm trying to figure out what is taking so long. Is it possible it just takes this long to read applications or I'm I destined for the waitlist? Or maybe they're just taking an extra long time to reject people? Anyone else in a similar position? It would be nice to know what's going on.
There's already a decent-sized set of dings on LSN, so probably your application is still in faculty review.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:58 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
chelita wrote:
There's already a decent-sized set of dings on LSN, so probably your application is still in faculty review.
Or, just as likely, the application was returned from faculty review with a score that was less than 12 but more than 9. I imagine that Yale hangs on to the borderline applicants until the end of the cycle, at which point those applicants get accepted, denied, or waitlisted, depending on the overall strength of the final applicant pool.

Unlike Harvard and Columbia, Yale doesn't have a "hold" status (at least I think they don't), which means that borderline applicants who apply early are going to go a long time without hearing anything.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:00 pm

Dignan wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
chelita wrote:
Or, just as likely, the application was returned from faculty review with a score that was less than 12 but more than 9. I imagine that Yale hangs on to the borderline applicants until the end of the cycle, at which point those applicants get accepted, denied, or waitlisted, depending on the overall strength of the final applicant pool.

Unlike Harvard and Columbia, Yale doesn't have a "hold" status (at least I think they don't), which means that borderline applicants who apply early are going to go a long time without hearing anything. Stanford is the same way, I suspect.
This is exactly what I was thinking but was too busy to type.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:05 pm

Dignan wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
chelita wrote:

Unlike Harvard and Columbia, Yale doesn't have a "hold" status (at least I think they don't), which means that borderline applicants who apply early are going to go a long time without hearing anything.
Or, just as likely, the file was given to a professor who decided to wait until she "finished her review article" before getting to the applications. Other papers were then placed on top of the file and it got lost in the shuffle.

There are a million different reasons why a file might take a long time to move through the process. Or, at least, that's what I keep telling myself as I notice an increasing number of folk with a complete date after mine getting accepted . . .

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:25 pm

notanumber wrote:Or, just as likely, the file was given to a professor who decided to wait until she "finished her review article" before getting to the applications. Other papers were then placed on top of the file and it got lost in the shuffle.
+1 Some YLS professors are notoriously lazy. Bastards.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:30 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
notanumber wrote:Or, just as likely, the file was given to a professor who decided to wait until she "finished her review article" before getting to the applications. Other papers were then placed on top of the file and it got lost in the shuffle.
Absent minded ≠ lazy

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:32 pm

notanumber wrote:
Herb Watchfell wrote:
Absent minded ≠ lazy
Indeed, but permit me to repeat for effect (and for the benefit of the slow-minded): some YLS professors are notoriously LAZY.

chelita

New

Post by chelita » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:44 pm

notanumber wrote:
Dignan wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
chelita wrote:

Or, just as likely, the file was given to a professor who decided to wait until she "finished her review article" before getting to the applications. Other papers were then placed on top of the file and it got lost in the shuffle.

There are a million different reasons why a file might take a long time to move through the process. Or, at least, that's what I keep telling myself as I notice an increasing number of folk with a complete date after mine getting accepted . . .
Yeah... that's pretty much what I figured. I am probably in the "meh" pile, as someone else on TLS said. In this case, no news is... well, no news. I am not saying that I would prefer a quick rejection to a slow acceptance, but it has been an agonizingly slow process with Yale, especially since I heard from HLS in November. It would be nice to finally have an answer to the question "So, where are you going to law school next year?"

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:46 pm

chelita wrote: It would be nice to finally have an answer to the question "So, where are you going to law school next year?"
I get that question all the time too, and it does get a bit tiresome. Take your time to choose, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nycsource

New

Post by nycsource » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:55 pm

I have also been in limbo since October. Call me a pessimist but it still seems more likely to me that I am in "meh" land (above 9, below 12) then that I haven't gone through faculty review yet due to a lazy professor. Its hard to believe that any professor would hold on to an app for almost 6 months before scoring it.

chelita

New

Post by chelita » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:01 pm

nycsource wrote:I have also been in limbo since October. Call me a pessimist but it still seems more likely to me that I am in "meh" land (above 9, below 12) then that I haven't gone through faculty review yet due to a lazy professor. Its hard to believe that any professor would hold on to an app for almost 6 months before scoring it.
Agreed. It will be interesting to see if any of us actually get in. I have a feeling most of the people in our boat are destined for the waitlist...

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:04 pm

nycsource wrote:I have also been in limbo since October. Call me a pessimist but it still seems more likely to me that I am in "meh" land (above 9, below 12) then that I haven't gone through faculty review yet due to a lazy professor. Its hard to believe that any professor would hold on to an app for almost 6 months before scoring it.
I wouldn't be so sure. I can imagine a file taking a bit more than a month for a professor's review, followed by another month or so in Asha's office waiting for the next round. Repeat that for two more professors and you're already at close to six months...

Don't give up hope! We're all going to get in! :D

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:17 pm

I wonder if they'll tweet when they're doing their final round of calls for the cycle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:18 pm

CardinalRules wrote:I wonder if they'll tweet when they're doing their final round of calls for the cycle.
Last year I think it was the 30th of April, so I'm sure they will, but it will be self-explanatory.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:28 pm

notanumber wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure. I can imagine a file taking a bit more than a month for a professor's review, followed by another month or so in Asha's office waiting for the next round. Repeat that for two more professors and you're already at close to six months...

Far away, in New Haven, someone grits her teeth and begins to write another blog post...

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:30 pm

Kronk wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:I wonder if they'll tweet when they're doing their final round of calls for the cycle.
Last year I think it was the 30th of April, so I'm sure they will, but it will be self-explanatory.
The 30th of April?? Good lord. It sounds as though they may be done sooner this year, though, according to Asha's latest post.

If you're going to SLS, by the way, you need to withdraw from your other schools when you put down your deposit for them. So people waiting for Yale might want to bear that fact in mind.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:37 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
notanumber wrote:

Far away, in New Haven, someone grits her teeth and begins to write another blog post...
This thread is at its best when we invent explanations for the Yale admissions process an a vain attempt to exert some feeling of control over the process. And also when we discuss Leland Stanford Jr. College.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”