Yale 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: Yale 2010

Post by r6_philly » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:19 pm

TheWire wrote:It's funny how LSN and TLS only have juggernaut acceptances, in general, for Yale. Yet, we all sit here and think that we have a shot because our essays will win us favor in "holistic admissions."
You are assuming huge numbers don't also have amazing stories. Maybe they are taking people who has both first.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:21 pm

Kakarot wrote:
TheWire wrote:It's funny how LSN and TLS only have juggernaut acceptances, in general, for Yale. Yet, we all sit here and think that we have a shot because our essays will win us favor in "holistic admissions."
Huge numbers get accepted first by Dean Asha. Great stories get accepted later by faculty review.
There is no correlation between when you are admitted and whether you were a presumptive admit or read by faculty (I really don't see why this would make any difference once you are admitted, but anyway). Both I and the members of the faculty are reading files from early fall into April. So, it's entirely possible for an application to make it through a round of three faculty readers by December, just as it is possible for me to admit someone directly in the spring (it would be kind of odd, wouldn't it, if a must-have applicant applied on February 15 and I had no choice but to send the person to the faculty gamble?). In fact, I believe two years ago the very very very last file I read was a presumptive admit. Again: your chances of admission remain the same regardless of when you apply.

notanumber

Bronze

Post by notanumber » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Kakarot wrote:
Huge numbers get accepted first by Dean Asha. Great stories get accepted later by faculty review.
And also
Asha wrote:Someone who is admitted automatically is just a must-have applicant in every way. Academic promise is one part of it, but you don't need a perfect score or GPA to demonstrate academic promise. I can't really define what would make someone so compelling, since the people who fall into this category are so different, but just trust me when I say that we really use the numbers the way they are meant to be used: to predict their academic performance in law school. Beyond that, we try to put together the most diverse and talented class possible.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:52 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
There is no correlation between when you are admitted and whether you were a presumptive admit or read by faculty (I really don't see why this would make any difference once you are admitted, but anyway). Both I and the members of the faculty are reading files from early fall into April. So, it's entirely possible for an application to make it through a round of three faculty readers by December, just as it is possible for me to admit someone directly in the spring (it would be kind of odd, wouldn't it, if a must-have applicant applied on February 15 and I had no choice but to send the person to the faculty gamble?). In fact, I believe two years ago the very very very last file I read was a presumptive admit. Again: your chances of admission remain the same regardless of when you apply.
This Asha quote doesn't address Kakarot's point. Asha is countering the claim that people who apply later in the cycle--say, February instead of October--are less or more likely to go to faculty review. Karakot, on the other hand, is making the fairly obvious point that applicants who get accepted directly by Asha are, relative to when they applied, likely to hear back sooner than will those who go to faculty review.

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:03 pm

notanumber wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Look like Notanumber's got a green dot on LSN. Congrats!!! They did call the right person!
:D

Thanks!

Yeah, I got a phone call from 203 yesterday.

I was driving down the freeway and almost got into a car wreck when I saw the number on my phone. The phone call screening comment might have even been about me because I wasn't able to pick up the phone in between looking for an exit, calming myself down, and trying to not to crash the car. I pulled over and quickly returned Craig's call. He was incredibly nice on the phone.

Good luck to everybody still waiting! Without having IRL friends applying to law school to be neurotic with, TLS has been just about the only thing keeping me sane.

I submitted in the first week of January and I went complete the last week in January. If anybody wants to read my 250 or wants any more info I'm happy to provide that sort of thing over PM.
LOL sounds like my conversations with Tx. 1st call I am on freeway. 2nd call responding to my inquiry about scholarship money was when I was in abusy restaurant with friends. Wonder if they are second guessing their decision to admit me.

Congrats!! Wish I were in there with you. I don't like my chances but I am really hoping I make faculty review, get some love and get a miracle call in the next few weeks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheWire

Bronze

Post by TheWire » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:10 pm

I mean, I love the optimism from you guys. But, I wasn't even just referring to this year's cycle. Looking at past years' cycles, there is really no evidence to counter the claim that Yale is as numbers oriented as any other school. I do agree that, because of its small class size, they have the opportunity to be more selective as to who they choose (much like Chicago). But rather unlike Berkeley, where you see all kinds of odd numbers (with presumably great "life stories") getting in, it seems that Yale's review is as numbers predominant as any other school. From an observer's eyes, it would seem that the numbers are simply a prerequisite for considering how awesome your "story" is. I'm not saying that Yale ONLY looks at the numbers; however, the optimism that TLS seems to equate with Faculty Review seems undeserved. IMO, the faculty seemingly looks as keenly at #s as the rest of the adcomms do...

P.S. Not a troll...just keepin' it real. Plus, BioE isn't the exception to the rule. He has a 99% LSAT, and a 3.8+ from Cal in the undisputed most vigorous major you can take...

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:31 pm

TheWire wrote:I mean, I love the optimism from you guys. But, I wasn't even just referring to this year's cycle. Looking at past years' cycles, there is really no evidence to counter the claim that Yale is as numbers oriented as any other school. I do agree that, because of its small class size, they have the opportunity to be more selective as to who they choose (much like Chicago). But rather unlike Berkeley, where you see all kinds of odd numbers (with presumably great "life stories") getting in, it seems that Yale's review is as numbers predominant as any other school. From an observer's eyes, it would seem that the numbers are simply a prerequisite for considering how awesome your "story" is. I'm not saying that Yale ONLY looks at the numbers; however, the optimism that TLS seems to equate with Faculty Review seems undeserved. IMO, the faculty seemingly looks as keenly at #s as the rest of the adcomms do...

P.S. Not a troll...just keepin' it real. Plus, BioE isn't the exception to the rule. He has a 99% LSAT, and a 3.8+ from Cal in the undisputed most vigorous major you can take...
agreed

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:13 pm

Dignan wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
Kakarot wrote:
This Asha quote doesn't address Kakarot's point. Asha is countering the claim that people who apply later in the cycle--say, February instead of October--are less or more likely to go to faculty review. Karakot, on the other hand, is making the fairly obvious point that applicants who get accepted directly by Asha are, relative to when they applied, likely to hear back sooner than will those who go to faculty review.
It seemed to me like this is what was going on:

TheWire: dude, on LSN and TLS the only Yale acceptances have awesome numbers, the rest of us are fucked. So much for holistic admissions.

Kakarot: relax dude, the reason all the LSN admits have great numbers is just because they were presumptive admits. Presumptive admits get accepted first, and people with great stories get accepted later in the cycle. We'll probably see lower numbers being accepted on LSN soon as faculty review acceptees trickle in.

If that's what he was saying, then it would be wrong. There's no reason to believe that the LSN acceptances are mostly made up of presumptive admits because of what I quoted above.

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:00 pm

TheWire wrote:I mean, I love the optimism from you guys. But, I wasn't even just referring to this year's cycle. Looking at past years' cycles, there is really no evidence to counter the claim that Yale is as numbers oriented as any other school. I do agree that, because of its small class size, they have the opportunity to be more selective as to who they choose (much like Chicago). But rather unlike Berkeley, where you see all kinds of odd numbers (with presumably great "life stories") getting in, it seems that Yale's review is as numbers predominant as any other school. From an observer's eyes, it would seem that the numbers are simply a prerequisite for considering how awesome your "story" is. I'm not saying that Yale ONLY looks at the numbers; however, the optimism that TLS seems to equate with Faculty Review seems undeserved. IMO, the faculty seemingly looks as keenly at #s as the rest of the adcomms do...

Thanks for the encouragement. LOL.

I have no idea at what point they say your numbers suck and you are out. But some with my numbers do get in. Also not everyone is among the top people in an occupation they've been in for 7 years. Not everyone has the same background of privilege either. So I decided to roll the dice and take my tiny chance to get in. I don't expect to get in, but I don't think my chance is zero either.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:04 pm

lt0826 wrote:

I have no idea at what point they say your numbers suck and you are out. But some with my numbers do get in. Also not everyone is among the top people in an occupation they've been in for 7 years. Not everyone has the same background of privilege either. So I decided to roll the dice and take my tiny chance to get in. I don't expect to get in, but I don't think my chance is zero either.
The Wire was definitely not responding directly to you. He was talking to himself, me and every one of the rest of us with good, but not out-of-this-world spectacular numbers who thinks they have a shot at Yale. Not many - if any - of us will get in when all is said and done, but we can all dream.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:06 pm

lt0826 wrote:

The chance is only zero if you don't apply :D

Also, thanks for the shout out, Wire. That being said, my stats are still both below median and I'm still in undergrad. Yale's selection process isn't completely #s based (although #s are still very important).

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Dignan wrote:
notanumber wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Look like Notanumber's got a green dot on LSN. Congrats!!! They did call the right person!

Thanks!

Congratulations, nota! Your profile on LSN looks exactly like what I think of when I try to imagine the perfect Yale applicant. To be honest, I'm surprised that you didn't get in sooner.

You're impressive.
Lol he's in at Yale and got WLed by UVa. Really sums up my thoughts about UVa.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:26 pm

notanumber wrote:
tenui wrote:Congratulations to notanumber from this "browser" (not "lurker")!

Some readers may be wondering if in his conversation with you, Craig acknowledged that you had been addressed by name in an Ask Asha entry a few weeks ago?
Nope.
Big congratulations, notanumber! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:56 pm

crackberry wrote:
lt0826 wrote:

The Wire was definitely not responding directly to you. He was talking to himself, me and every one of the rest of us with good, but not out-of-this-world spectacular numbers who thinks they have a shot at Yale. Not many - if any - of us will get in when all is said and done, but we can all dream.
Guess I was being defensive because I know I am a longshot :oops:

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:45 am

notanumber wrote:
Kronk wrote:
notanumber wrote:(But seriously, Stanford is an awesome school)
Beta move.
I don't share your talents, Kronk.
To be fair, Kronk isn't half the man you are.

Ranita

New

Post by Ranita » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:27 am

notanumber wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
notanumber wrote:

Thanks!

I was driving down the freeway and almost got into a car wreck when I saw the number on my phone. The phone call screening comment might have even been about me because I wasn't able to pick up the phone in between looking for an exit, calming myself down, and trying to not to crash the car. I pulled over and quickly returned Craig's call. He was incredibly nice on the phone.

Good luck to everybody still waiting! Without having IRL friends applying to law school to be neurotic with, TLS has been just about the only thing keeping me sane.

I submitted in the first week of January and I went complete the last week in January. If anybody wants to read my 250 or wants any more info I'm happy to provide that sort of thing over PM.
You made (203) sad, you must make it up to her, send some flowers and a gift cert to a spa! :)

I know what you mean about not having law school friends IRL. My friends and my prof. all think I should go for a Ph.D. in CS instead. TLS has been my friend.

So are you committed to attending?
I'm not 100% sure. I want to go into academia so it would be the sensible choice but the more I look at Harvard the more impressed I get. I've also never been to Boston or New Haven so I think I'll need to visit both schools before committing. Michigan also isn't totally out of the running - free law school would be quite appealing - but I suspect that my age and income will result in a pretty decent financial aid package from HY which will blunt some of the advantage.
From my experience, Yale’s financial aid department will accommodate you due to age/income. Since I was over the age threshold for consideration of parental assets, and since what assets I have left post-recession are all in a retirement account, Y was generous. Combined with LRAP, Yale could be as good as free.

merryo

New

Post by merryo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:53 am

Does anyone know how much being a legacy goes into the Yale decision?

My sister graduated from Yale Law in 2007.....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

booby87

Bronze

Post by booby87 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:09 am

Last edited by booby87 on Mon May 02, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:14 am

At least the letter should be swift in arriving.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:15 am

merryo wrote:Does anyone know how much being a legacy goes into the Yale decision?

Minimally if at all, unless your sister is a huge donor (unlikely).

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:12 am

booby87 wrote:I guess I'll post the twitter for today:

"More good news from (203). More bad news from (203)'s wicked sibling, 06520."

...more rejections on the way. This is it for many of us :|
That tweet is damn funny though, even for us victims of the evil sibling.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bloodonthetracks

Bronze

Post by bloodonthetracks » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:12 am

Kretzy wrote:
booby87 wrote:I guess I'll post the twitter for today:

"More good news from (203). More bad news from (203)'s wicked sibling, 06520."

...more rejections on the way. This is it for many of us :|
That tweet is damn funny though, even for us victims of the evil sibling.
yeah i prefer their funny tweets to their snarky ones

Herb Watchfell

Bronze

Post by Herb Watchfell » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:36 am

merryo wrote:Does anyone know how much being a legacy goes into the Yale decision?

Black sheep moan.

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:54 pm

am i the only one who thinks that yale's tweets really are not particularly clever or amusing / seem to be trying too hard to be witty and cool
?

(i didn't apply, fwiw, so i'm not a bitter reject)

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:01 pm

Lmao Zedong wrote:am i the only one who thinks that yale's tweets really are not particularly clever or amusing / seem to be trying too hard to be witty and cool
?
I don't know if you're the only one, but I happen to find them clever and amusing. I'm pretty lame, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”