In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
longroad

Re: In at UMiami

Postby longroad » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:57 pm

before i stop obsessively checking this and other websites regarding admissions tonight, i just want to say i feel like those who did not have changes to their status checkers today (like me) are screwed. i wish i didn't feel this way, but there has to be a reason they chose certain people, irrelevant of having the highest numbers, urm, or date applied.

i hope i am wrong. :oops:

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:00 pm

longroad wrote:before i stop obsessively checking this and other websites regarding admissions tonight, i just want to say i feel like those who did not have changes to their status checkers today (like me) are screwed. i wish i didn't feel this way, but there has to be a reason they chose certain people, irrelevant of having the highest numbers, urm, or date applied.

+1 - it makes no sense.

Ford Prefect

Postby Ford Prefect » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:18 pm

I was a late applier, and am also feeling negatively about this. Of course, I applied to 20 schools and have heard from 10 of them. The very first letter I got was an acceptance. All waitlists or rejections from there, even at schools I thought would be safeties. Blah.

goflmarlins

Postby goflmarlins » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:25 pm

I am feeling the same way. But we have to remember that UM placed us on hold. We could have been straight up rejected or waitlisted (which is worse). So I am going with that we were their maybes, ahead of those on the wait list. With that said, we are either in or we will have to wait some more. Also, some people who were on hold that have been in will withdraw.

Guitarded

Postby Guitarded » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:30 pm

before i stop obsessively checking this and other websites regarding admissions tonight, i just want to say i feel like those who did not have changes to their status checkers today (like me) are screwed. i wish i didn't feel this way, but there has to be a reason they chose certain people, irrelevant of having the highest numbers, urm, or date applied.

CKuleba mentioned their status changed from Hold to Documents Needed because they needed to verify some documents (bachelors degree). Could it be that us on hold with no change in status just don't need proof of any documents?

Before I was put on the Hold status my status used to say Documents Needed. I emailed admissions and they said they needed some extra documents. After I cleared that up with them my status changed from Documents Needed to In Committee (or something like that) to Hold about a week later. That was about a month ago.

I'm feeling optimistic

Stats: 156/3.4

CKuleba

Postby CKuleba » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:36 pm

CKuleba mentioned their status changed from Hold to Documents Needed because they needed to verify some documents (bachelors degree). Could it be that us on hold with no change in status just don't need proof of any documents?

Before I was put on the Hold status my status used to say Documents Needed. I emailed admissions and they said they needed some extra documents. After I cleared that up with them my status changed from Documents Needed to In Committee (or something like that) to Hold about a week later. That was about a month ago.

I'm feeling optimistic

Stats: 156/3.4

I wouldn't disagree with that. If you have already graduated, then you may not have seen a change on status today. Decisions are to be rendered Friday, but maybe those who have been on hold and got in had the doc needed status change to verify the bachelors degree.

Btw - This should ease some of your concerns

156 / 3.2 (Drastic upward trend since freshman year)

km23

Postby km23 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:43 pm

/
Last edited by km23 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:47 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
trialjunky wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:Should I choose UM or FIU (state tuition) Hard Call

Depends on how successful you think you're going to be in 1st year. I'm going at sticker but a friend of mine at UMiami Law saids if you do relatively well 1st year (top 40) they are very generous with their scholarships. Plus, a lot of alumni have scholarships specifically for 2L's and 3L's (A huge alumni really does help. Some alumni have free housing set up for scholarships as well). So, I figure if I don't make it in the top 40 1st year anyway I might as well /wrist. So, I'm in at the UM because it places a lot better in the South Florida market than FIU. Plus, outside of South Florida UM is much stronger.

I want to to my best. I am a hard worker, but so are other students. I plan on being #1 in the class...does that mean that will happen...who knows. I may start at FIU and if I have superior grades, transfer on. I really really want the U though. I wish it was only 20k a year.

Quite frankly, you have to look at your market. Your decision is a hard one. If you want to stay in Miami you need to remember that in the South Florida market, you have UM and UF competing against eachother with a leg up for UM grads. Additionally, you have FSU grads and any other T14 grad whose interested in the Miami market...then you have FIU. As you said, other students will be working extremely hard. In TTTT school competition is high so don't assume that you will be #1 because they're will be quite a few people trying to transfer out so competition will be stiff. Also, transfer student generally don't get the scholarships until their 3L year. So, if you're trying to avoid the 60k, you will end up paying it regardless.

lawschoolgiant wrote:sorry to be a pain, but please more feedback on why UM over FIU...If I dont land that great job arent I screwed? On the other hand with FIU unless I am at the very top I have no chance at that great job. Correct?

No one here can convince you one way or the other. This is a decision your just going to have to make. If you're wondering about something specific that is different but no one is going to sell you on the school when there's so many people on hold who want to go to the U.

Guitarded

Postby Guitarded » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:54 pm

I'd like to just add that I applied pretty late in mid Feb.

CKuleba

Postby CKuleba » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:59 pm

I applied early Jan (5th I believe)

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:43 am

I applied on around Feb 1st and got accepted with a 2.98/159, pleasantly surprised but the 2.98 number would be 3.4 without my freshman year.

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:20 am

So I bartended 14 hours today... and I get home to see 4 pages added to this forum?

Damn.

Needless to say, I'm still on hold... No change in MyUM. I have the day off tomorrow. So maybe a phone call? Or status change? Please?

CKuleba

Postby CKuleba » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:23 am

Status has changed to Congratulations - No more view new docs needed

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:48 am

Still nothing...if it wasnt for this site, I wouldnt know of any changes taking place outside of my little UM portal...it still looks the same as it did 'round Christmas

davsters

Postby davsters » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:01 am

CKuleba wrote:Status has changed to Congratulations - No more view new docs needed

Same. They sent an email telling you to check your myUM status

longroad

Postby longroad » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:56 am

no updates to my status. i hope the previous batch will not be the last of the acceptances from the hold category. i will check my status periodically today and post if i see anything different.

goflmarlins

Postby goflmarlins » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:39 am

Any news? I'm getting worried bc no one has heard anything!!!!

Guitarded

Postby Guitarded » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:43 am

goflmarlins wrote:Any news? I'm getting worried bc no one has heard anything!!!!

I haven't heard anything either. My status is still the same :cry:

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:44 am

Still nothing. I'm about to concede, unfortunately. Trying not to be too disappointed.

I sent a LOCI last week (twice because the first time I sent it, it didn't end up in my file) so I called to ensure it was in there on Tuesday. It is. Do you think there's something else I should do? I don't want it to be overkill, but I just want them to know how serious I am about the school. I think the time to do something has passed, though. OH well...

longroad

Postby longroad » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:11 pm

hatteras1 wrote:Still nothing. I'm about to concede, unfortunately. Trying not to be too disappointed.

I sent a LOCI last week (twice because the first time I sent it, it didn't end up in my file) so I called to ensure it was in there on Tuesday. It is. Do you think there's something else I should do? I don't want it to be overkill, but I just want them to know how serious I am about the school. I think the time to do something has passed, though. OH well...

that's really scary they didn't put your letter in your file. i have sent 2 different mailings to them since i was put on hold. i never called to confirm. i have always been worried if i called and annoyed them in addition to the letters it would look bad. now i am worried all the stuff i sent was lost, not put in my file, or whatever. with my numbers, the early date i applied, and all the additional stuff i have sent in, im very worried i didn't get the admit letter today like so many others did.

km23

Postby km23 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:18 pm

[
Last edited by km23 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:24 pm

longroad wrote:
hatteras1 wrote:Still nothing. I'm about to concede, unfortunately. Trying not to be too disappointed.

that's really scary they didn't put your letter in your file. i have sent 2 different mailings to them since i was put on hold. i never called to confirm. i have always been worried if i called and annoyed them in addition to the letters it would look bad. now i am worried all the stuff i sent was lost, not put in my file, or whatever. with my numbers, the early date i applied, and all the additional stuff i have sent in, im very worried i didn't get the admit letter today like so many others did.

+ 1,000,000

I sent an LOCI to the Assistant Dean after my "on hold" date back in November... But never received confirmation either. This is going to be a long 24 hours...

Is the general consensus that they had all of the "on hold" applicants ranked and are running down the list? Or did they actually go through each of our applications this past week and re-evaluate them on a case by case basis?

km23

Postby km23 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Last edited by km23 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

goflmarlins

Postby goflmarlins » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:30 pm

I don't think hold people will be rejected. If they wanted to reject us they would have done it in the beginning. The worst that I think can happen is we are put on the official waitlist. I also sent in LOCI but I mailed it and I did not receive confirmation either. They do have 8 days to get back to us. So maybe tomorrow will be more acceptances????

km23

Postby km23 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:32 pm

/
Last edited by km23 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”