In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hatteras1

Re: In at UMiami

Postby hatteras1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:19 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:There is a waitlist, but the acceptances are coming from hold.

I feel that I got in with lower scores than a lot (156, 3.01) non-urm.

I really think LOR's from close professors, and a strong personal statement made all the difference.

I also sent LOCI if people are interested.

Mind sharing when you were put on hold? Thank you!

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:22 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:There is a waitlist, but the acceptances are coming from hold.

I really think LOR's from close professors, and a strong personal statement made all the difference.

I think they are going for LSAT's....3.6/152 and I have heard nothing (even called, and got nowhere). Its my uncles alma mater, I had great softs and plenty of unique UM-oriented resume points and also sent in an LOCI, but have heard nothing.

I was put on hold in early December, btw.

kar06c@gmail.com

Postby kar06c@gmail.com » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:25 pm

155, 3.36...4 letters of rec...graduated a year early though so i think it made up for my low scores..did a LOCI after hold in March

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:26 pm

hatteras1 wrote:

Mind sharing when you were put on hold? Thank you!

Applied 3rd week in Jan, Hold came I believe mid march.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:28 pm

dp73816 wrote:

I think they are going for LSAT's....3.6/152 and I have heard nothing (even called, and got nowhere). Its my uncles alma mater, I had great softs and plenty of unique UM-oriented resume points and also sent in an LOCI, but have heard nothing.

I was put on hold in early December, btw.

Yes, on their site it says that they hold LSAT above GPA (on the fact sheet)

I may withdraw FYI, as I have gotten into FIU as well...and the price difference is so significant for me.

goflmarlins

Postby goflmarlins » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:32 pm

I agree that it seems that people on the hold category are getting in for their LSAT scores... Maybe those with a high GPA will soon follow. Or at least we can hope! 152/3.85 Great softs and graduating a year early with a double major. I haven't heard anything either

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:35 pm

goflmarlins wrote:I agree that it seems that people on the hold category are getting in for their LSAT scores... Maybe those with a high GPA will soon follow. Or at least we can hope! 152/3.85 Great softs and graduating a year early with a double major. I haven't heard anything either

152 will be a tough one according to LSN...I wish you all the best!

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:36 pm

I seem to have the same if not higher stats than some people getting in, so I might disagree with the LSAT theory...

157/3.2, silently praying often at my desk for a change in myUM!

longroad

Postby longroad » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:38 pm

wow i must suck. still on hold with: 156, 3.6ish, sent two extra letters of rec (4 total), sent updated resume, sent LOCI, and graduated a year early. maybe its not meant to be? come on miami. il send you money tomorrow!

in all seriousness, thanks to those accepted for posting their numbers and mentioning info about their application cycle. its very helpful! hopefully the rest of us can join you all soon.

*edit: i agree hateras. theres something other than lsat going on. we'll probably get a decision before we figure it out lol.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:44 pm

goflmarlins wrote:I agree that it seems that people on the hold category are getting in for their LSAT scores... Maybe those with a high GPA will soon follow. Or at least we can hope! 152/3.85 Great softs and graduating a year early with a double major. I haven't heard anything either

I hear ya...your plight, along with others, gives me comfort - i am not alone.

Danger

Postby Danger » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:47 pm

Second that, thanks everyone for providing information. I really hope they will admit more people from the hold category in the coming days. Good luck everyone.

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:50 pm

longroad wrote:wow i must suck. still on hold with: 156, 3.6ish, sent two extra letters of rec (4 total), sent updated resume, sent LOCI, and graduated a year early. maybe its not meant to be? come on miami. il send you money tomorrow!

in all seriousness, thanks to those accepted for posting their numbers and mentioning info about their application cycle. its very helpful! hopefully the rest of us can join you all soon.

*edit: i agree hateras. theres something other than lsat going on. we'll probably get a decision before we figure it out lol.

lol - I am right there with you! I feel like I suck, but you know what, we don't! Glass half full, that's what I'm going for.

I second the thank you to everyone-- you're helping my sanity by sharing!

And Miami, I'd send my money tomorrow, too. Just saying.

goflmarlins

Postby goflmarlins » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:51 pm

I agree that something other than the lsat is going on... based on people who have gotten off the hold list they have all had low gpas and average lsat. Some people who are still on hold have better gpa and lsat scores... Who knows why people are getting in and others are still waiting. But from talking to people last year who were in the same situation a hold normaly means you are in or at the worst another wait

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:58 pm

Should I choose UM or FIU (state tuition) Hard Call

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:10 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:Should I choose UM or FIU (state tuition) Hard Call

UM @ sticker is a tough pill to swallow. You are talking 38k/year on tuition alone, not to mention the living expenses.

I think if you are fine with working at a smaller firm in South Florida, FIU may be better. Then again, the U has a great name. I just don't think it is worth taking out 160K in loans when you will get out and be making 55-65K. Your monthly student loan payments will be outrageous and you will not have much disposable income.

I'm also really debt averse, so take my 2 cents as you will.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:23 pm

deadpanic wrote:

UM @ sticker is a tough pill to swallow. You are talking 38k/year on tuition alone, not to mention the living expenses.

I think if you are fine with working at a smaller firm in South Florida, FIU may be better. Then again, the U has a great name. I just don't think it is worth taking out 160K in loans when you will get out and be making 55-65K. Your monthly student loan payments will be outrageous and you will not have much disposable income.

I'm also really debt averse, so take my 2 cents as you will.

I agree; it depends on what you want to do. My uncle is partner in a firm down in South Florida, so if the U offers, I will be paying full - but I will most likely have some type of employment lined up, either through his firm or via networking. I have already been accepted to Rutgers-Camden with a scholarship and in-state, coming to around 12k tuition a year + living expenses. So, I am either looking at 160k debt with great job prospects, or around 60k with an unknown situation. Therein lies my problem...

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:23 pm

Depends on how successful you think you're going to be in 1st year. I'm going at sticker but a friend of mine at UMiami Law saids if you do relatively well 1st year (top 40) they are very generous with their scholarships. Plus, a lot of alumni have scholarships specifically for 2L's and 3L's (A huge alumni really does help. Some alumni have free housing set up for scholarships as well). So, I figure if I don't make it in the top 40 1st year anyway I might as well /wrist. So, I'm in at the UM because it places a lot better in the South Florida market than FIU. Plus, outside of South Florida UM is much stronger.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:40 pm

trialjunky wrote:

Depends on how successful you think you're going to be in 1st year. I'm going at sticker but a friend of mine at UMiami Law saids if you do relatively well 1st year (top 40) they are very generous with their scholarships. Plus, a lot of alumni have scholarships specifically for 2L's and 3L's (A huge alumni really does help. Some alumni have free housing set up for scholarships as well). So, I figure if I don't make it in the top 40 1st year anyway I might as well /wrist. So, I'm in at the UM because it places a lot better in the South Florida market than FIU. Plus, outside of South Florida UM is much stronger.

I want to to my best. I am a hard worker, but so are other students. I plan on being #1 in the class...does that mean that will happen...who knows. I may start at FIU and if I have superior grades, transfer on. I really really want the U though. I wish it was only 20k a year.

CKuleba

Postby CKuleba » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:49 pm

From what I understand, profiles on myUM will be updated Friday. My status changed today from hold to need new documents. When I called a lady told me that it was for proof of my bachelors degree and when I told her I don't graduate until May 1 and was wondering if I would get an answer before then, she said I already had an answer and that I was admitted. I had to ask her again what she had said, she repeated, and to clarify I go... so wait, that means I'm in, I'm accepted? I couldn't believe it, Miami has been my top choice forever, and though my scores are not good enough to qualify for a merit scholarship, I am gladly paying sticker. Seat deposit is due on 5/5 I was told. I didn't think I would get in based on my scores, but today is one of the happiest days I've had in a long time...

Good luck to everyone... see ya in the fall!

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:51 pm

Anyone else still on hold? This is getting ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as a no answer from UNLV......

goflmarlins

Postby goflmarlins » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:59 pm

I am still on hold as are others... I think we will know by Friday. I am still a little hopeful. We have to assume that people who are on hold will withdraw so their is still some hope. Maybe they haven't gotten to are applications yet... Trying to stay positive..

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:01 pm

Well since everyone is sharing their numbers, here are mine:

International applicant (Canadian)
McGill University GPA: 3.58
LSDAS GPA: 3.2 (includes my Quebec pre-university grades for some reason)
LSAT: 158

Also, I'm not on hold or waitlisted, I applied in late March.
When I called today she specifically told me to call back Friday.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:03 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:Well since everyone is sharing their numbers, here are mine:

International applicant (Canadian)
McGill University GPA: 3.58
LSDAS GPA: 3.2 (includes my Quebec pre-university grades for some reason)
LSAT: 158

Also, I'm not on hold or waitlisted, I applied in late March.
When I called today she specifically told me to call back Friday.

Im gonna pull that Friday - "hey I was told to call back today??" and just see if I can get em to slip with some new info. (If I have not heard anything yet)

...But I think this will be my last go-around with the whole waiting thing. If April 30 rolls around and no good news has come, Ill just move on.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:21 pm

sorry to be a pain, but please more feedback on why UM over FIU...If I dont land that great job arent I screwed? On the other hand with FIU unless I am at the very top I have no chance at that great job. Correct?

longroad

Postby longroad » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:41 pm

go to miami. iv always been told to go to the best school you get into in your region. however, im not from florida and know nothing about FIU.

i think if you already have sweet connections in the area that basically guarantee you a job, go to FIU and save the money.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”