In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
matchesmalone

Re: In at UMiami

Postby matchesmalone » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Do you guys know how those who were deferred last year will affect the incoming class this year? Are there stats on how many people were deferred or their numbers? I'm a little afraid that if they were strong applicants, that means our incoming class is going to be more competitive. That's concerning considering our grades are based on a curve.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:02 pm

matchesmalone wrote:Do you guys know how those who were deferred last year will affect the incoming class this year? Are there stats on how many people were deferred or their numbers? I'm a little afraid that if they were strong applicants, that means our incoming class is going to be more competitive. That's concerning considering our grades are based on a curve.

Look at LSN - holds were being accepted as early as 4/03 last year. I havent seen one this year as of yet. I dont think that bodes well for us.

wh3931110

Postby wh3931110 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Its fun (or sometimes not fun) to speculate but ultimately we will find out in the next 10 days. I am excited to just have some sort of a solid answer from them.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:07 pm

Im on hold with a 3.01 and a 156. I have a strong personal statement and should be very compelling letters of rec. I also have a huge upward trend....hoping for the best :)

nightlight

Postby nightlight » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:32 pm

matchesmalone wrote:Do you guys know how those who were deferred last year will affect the incoming class this year? Are there stats on how many people were deferred or their numbers? I'm a little afraid that if they were strong applicants, that means our incoming class is going to be more competitive. That's concerning considering our grades are based on a curve.

1. I don't think there was a substantial number of students who chose to defer.
2. Even if there was, who says they're all still coming?
3. You might better spend your time asking the adcoms (a) about the targeted size of the incoming class/what % filled it is, and (b) whether this year's class is shaping out to be more or less selective than last year.
4. You might also want to inquire about Dean White's guidance for the adcoms this year, if she offered any (e.g., is she trying to raise/lower admission standards, expand/shrink future class sizes, offer more $ for qualified students, etc). They might not share that information, but it's worth a shot.

Good luck!

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:54 am

nightlight wrote:

1. I don't think there was a substantial number of students who chose to defer.
2. Even if there was, who says they're all still coming?
3. You might better spend your time asking the adcoms (a) about the targeted size of the incoming class/what % filled it is, and (b) whether this year's class is shaping out to be more or less selective than last year.
4. You might also want to inquire about Dean White's guidance for the adcoms this year, if she offered any (e.g., is she trying to raise/lower admission standards, expand/shrink future class sizes, offer more $ for qualified students, etc). They might not share that information, but it's worth a shot.

Good luck!

Honestly, I would be hard-pressed to think many people took up this offer. If you go to viewtopic.php?f=7&t=43344&start=925 you'll see many people just decided to go any way, withdrew or decided that while they may come back to UM next year they WOULD be applying to other law schools as well.

goflmarlins

Postby goflmarlins » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:16 pm

Just called admissions and they still don't have a date to get back to people on hold.... They said to call back again next week. As every day goes by I'm feel less hopeful.... Has anyone gotten off the hold list and been accepted or at least wait listed yet?????

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:47 pm

goflmarlins wrote:Just called admissions and they still don't have a date to get back to people on hold.... They said to call back again next week. As every day goes by I'm feel less hopeful.... Has anyone gotten off the hold list and been accepted or at least wait listed yet?????

What's your stats?

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:19 pm

I don't get it, what's the delay?

The seat deposits were due last week on the 15th, meaning at this point admissions should know if they have open seats.
Why haven't there been any offers, rejections, or any sign of life coming from the admissions office?

Could it be that they're waiting for those who are still in school to send their final transcripts in early/mid May and then make a decision? Canadian law schools are known to do that, they usually don't respond to half of their applicants until early May.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:I don't get it, what's the delay?

The seat deposits were due last week on the 15th, meaning at this point admissions should know if they have open seats.
Why haven't there been any offers, rejections, or any sign of life coming from the admissions office?

Could it be that they're waiting for those who are still in school to send their final transcripts in early/mid May and then make a decision? Canadian law schools are known to do that, they usually don't respond to half of their applicants until early May.

It hasn't been a week since the deposits were due. Many people waited till the 14 or 15th due to WL status at other schools which means they've gotten a lot of people enrolling at the 11th hour. Give them atleast a week. They have to see who enrolled. What do they need? URMs? Nontrads? Higher LSat? Higher GPA? I don't know when theyre going to start responding to holds and WL but I would suspect not until next week or the week after.

bbuilderlschooler

Postby bbuilderlschooler » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:25 pm

I've heard that their should be a batch of acceptances heading out towards the end of this week (Thursday?)... but it could all be just talk.. I guess we just have to wait and see... the wait is killer though

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:30 am

i would absolutely love if we hear something by week's end...

the U just seems so ideal.

great education.
killer entertainment law opportunities.
amazing location.
awesome football!

snakebones

Postby snakebones » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:24 am

actorlaw wrote:i would absolutely love if we hear something by week's end...

great education.
amazing location.
awesome football!

+1

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:00 am

bbuilderlschooler wrote:I've heard that their should be a batch of acceptances heading out towards the end of this week (Thursday?)... but it could all be just talk.. I guess we just have to wait and see... the wait is killer though

Do you mind me asking where you heard this?

davsters

Postby davsters » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:00 am

snakebones wrote:
actorlaw wrote:i would absolutely love if we hear something by week's end...

great education.
amazing location.
awesome football!

+1

Agreed. I'm one of those on hold. Been on hold since late December. Hoping for the best (but not getting my hopes up, sent a seat deposit to another school) as I truly love UM. It's where I went for undergrad. It offers a great education with a lot of oppurtunities. Nothing beats it and with the higher ranking it's even more desirable.

davsters

Postby davsters » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:25 am

Also. Has anyone MyUM's thing changed?
I checked yesterday and it was the same as before "read admissions letter" which then gave me the hold letter. But now it's changed to admission documents needed. ?

There is no place to see the hold letter...
Last edited by davsters on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

snakebones

Postby snakebones » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:28 am

Nothing changed on mine

GTLAWSCHOOL

Postby GTLAWSCHOOL » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:00 pm

davsters wrote:Also. Has anyone MyUM's thing changed?
I checked yesterday and it was the same as before "read admissions letter" which then gave me the hold letter. But now it's changed to admission documents needed. ?

I can not speak for the hold since I have been admitted, but what I can tell you is that the admission documents needed is normal(called and asked prior to being admitted) and It stayed that way until I got my decision. Good Luck

davsters

Postby davsters » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:52 pm

GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:
davsters wrote:Also. Has anyone MyUM's thing changed?

I can not speak for the hold since I have been admitted, but what I can tell you is that the admission documents needed is normal(called and asked prior to being admitted) and It stayed that way until I got my decision. Good Luck

Thanks. Hoping for the best. I'll keep you guys posted. Hopefully that batch does head out by Thursday...

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:14 pm

I get the idea that there are only a handful of people on hold. Any idea on how many people were actually put on hold?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:27 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:I get the idea that there are only a handful of people on hold. Any idea on how many people were actually put on hold?

Miami gets a ton of applications; probably the most out of any school outside of the T30. As such, it is only a numbers game for UM. This year they seemed to hold/WL anyone that didn't have both stats above both medians or 75th percentiles. While I have no clue on the actual number on hold, I'd say it is quite high rather than only a handful of people by looking on LSN.

http://miami.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Good luck!

longroad

Postby longroad » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:34 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:I get the idea that there are only a handful of people on hold. Any idea on how many people were actually put on hold?

im not sure if the above is true. i remember not seeing any rejections on LSN until mid December:

http://miami.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants/0910/?&p=3

i feel like the majority of the people (maybe everyone) who applied early (before December) got either accepted or put on hold (irrelevant of numbers). i have also heard of people who applied after december get put on hold, so this could be a decent sized group.

im just hoping the hold wasn't a delayed death sentence and that a majority of us have something to look forward to.

i would also like to know how the person above heard we might be hearing something by the end of this week.

kar06c@gmail.com

Postby kar06c@gmail.com » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:15 pm

my status also went from my hold letter to 'view admissions documents needed'...and a 'give to UM' link was added..i sent in my app the first week of march..do you think this means a decision has been made?

davsters

Postby davsters » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:20 pm

kar06c@gmail.com wrote:my status also went from my hold letter to 'view admissions documents needed'...and a 'give to UM' link was added..i sent in my app the first week of march..do you think this means a decision has been made?

That's exactly what I have. And I'm crossing my fingers it means a decision was made (good or bad). This wait is a killer!

miss woods 2013

Postby miss woods 2013 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:10 pm

I'm on hold as well and called on Monday; the lady I spoke with told me to "check back Friday." I'm not exactly sure what will happen then, but I'm really hoping they'll at least have a yes or no at that point!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”