In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ihatethelsat

Re: In at UMiami

Postby ihatethelsat » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:01 pm

msv5010 wrote:I was in the Realtor chat most of the time so it was mostly Realtors answering questions about properties and areas, then giving their email addresses and phone numbers. If you go in the relocation guide I'm sure its the same Realtors so they can answer any questions you have. They were mostly pushing Brickell, South Miami, and Gables to me.

The Roommate Referral Form can be found on the admitted students page (law.miami.edu/admitted)

Thank you!! :)

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:44 pm

I withdrew with a full scholarship. Hopefully Miami puts that money back into the pile.

sw10

Postby sw10 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:37 pm

mrm2083 wrote:I withdrew with a full scholarship. Hopefully Miami puts that money back into the pile.

I hope so.. where did you decide to go?

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Penn, it was my reach school and the only thing I would take over Miami. I'm at UM for undergrad now and really love the school, it's a great place to study for 3 years and Miami is a sick city.

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:47 pm

so are the on-holds going to start hearing now?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:37 am

Unfortunately, the 11 jump is a pretty bad sign for those on hold or waitlisted. I am pretty confident that more people are considering UM more seriously after its 22 point jump in the last two years and the fact that it's edged closer to the top of tier 2 from it's middle of the pack ranking last year. Also, when looking at the actual score it's easy to see that if the 50% selectivity were reduced (significantly) it could catapult us into tier 1.

wh3931110

Postby wh3931110 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:27 am

Theres no way they could have predicted that jump when they began the cycle and there has been a decent amount of withdrawals already so I am confident that a fair amount of people on hold will at the very least get wait listed if not accepted... I think even with the jump one of the main reasons people withdrawal from UM is because of the price and that has not changed, just my opinion --

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:03 am

wh3931110 wrote:Theres no way they could have predicted that jump when they began the cycle and there has been a decent amount of withdrawals already so I am confident that a fair amount of people on hold will at the very least get wait listed if not accepted... I think even with the jump one of the main reasons people withdrawal from UM is because of the price and that has not changed, just my opinion --

As someone from Florida who was accepted to UM but withdrew, the jump up in the rankings was great but I couldn't afford to go to the U for sticker. Any scholarship would of swayed my reasoning but I was right on the cusp of maybe getting $$ but no luck

mattA

Postby mattA » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:16 am

I had to withdraw because I could not rationalize paying $40,000 a year when better ranked schools offered me money. I wish I was offered a scholarship at Umiami, but I guess their scholarship funds are smaller than other schools.

goflmarlins

Postby goflmarlins » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:37 am

I thought the hold category was better than the waitlist..... So wouldn't the hold category people have a better chance of getting in over those on the wait list?

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:40 am

goflmarlins wrote:I thought the hold category was better than the waitlist..... So wouldn't the hold category people have a better chance of getting in over those on the wait list?

yes, but they can be moved to waitlist also.

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:02 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
goflmarlins wrote:I thought the hold category was better than the waitlist..... So wouldn't the hold category people have a better chance of getting in over those on the wait list?

What about the people who have not been placed on hold or waitlisted?
I would think they have a better chance than both the holds and waitlists.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:13 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:

What about the people who have not been placed on hold or waitlisted?
I would think they have a better chance than both the holds and waitlists.

Probably not, depends when you applied....if you applied in Jan then yes, if in March then I would doubt it. This is speculation.

GTLAWSCHOOL

Postby GTLAWSCHOOL » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Anybody here take a tour during the school week. I want to make a trip this coming week to hopefully solidify my choice to attend, and I want to go on a day that I will get the best feel from the school and students. I.E. I have heard Friday is a bad day to visit being that it is dead. Any suggestions?

lawschool5523

Postby lawschool5523 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:02 pm

I went on a Wednesday, and it went well! I am actually going on Monday to look at apartments, and take a final look at the school to make sure its my final decision!

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:13 pm

When I spoke with admissions about the "on-hold" category they said that the "on-hold" applicants would be either accepted or rejected by April 30th... I specifically asked about being waitlisted after being "on-hold" because that's a lot of waiting.

Has anyone been told otherwise?

Sias

Postby Sias » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:20 pm

actorlaw wrote:When I spoke with admissions about the "on-hold" category they said that the "on-hold" applicants would be either accepted or rejected by April 30th... I specifically asked about being waitlisted after being "on-hold" because that's a lot of waiting.

Personally I hope that holds are either accepted or rejected. I'm getting sick of waitlists.

longroad

Postby longroad » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:26 pm

actorlaw wrote:When I spoke with admissions about the "on-hold" category they said that the "on-hold" applicants would be either accepted or rejected by April 30th... I specifically asked about being waitlisted after being "on-hold" because that's a lot of waiting.

That's interesting. I can't believe they would do that though. Miami has been one of my top choices from the start, so hopefully hold people fair well in the upcoming two weeks. Maybe I should call and verify.

Andromeda160

Postby Andromeda160 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:32 pm

For those of you who are on hold, I may have a suggestion as to why you have not gotten an answer yet. First, the fact is yes, many people on TLS withdrew their acceptances which should have opened spots for some of you; but if we calculate the ones that posted on this forum, they are not that many --as far as the total number of people that withdrew, I don't know. But ultimately, that's relative to the total number of acceptances they sent out, and its safe to say that they anticipated withdrawals. Secondly, UM LAW made a huge mistake last year when they over-extended their offers of admission, and to their surprise --probably because of the economy and the school's sudden jump in the rankings-- many students actually accepted their offer. They had to send out emails last year asking students to defer for one year with promise of scholarship money. If many of these students actually deferred, that means less money and less spots to offer this year. Thirdly, this year again they jumped another 11 points in the rankings, whether they anticipated it or not, they will be very careful in not over-extending admission offers like last year. Also, the rankings for the school is getting better, but one thing they need to improve on is the percentage of students they offer admission to (now 52%). If they can lower that by even 5 points, that could translate into higher ranking numbers for the school next year and they know this. One last thing, never underestimate the influence rankings play on students --and if that is the case, many students, like last year, will actually say yes to UM law. In conclusion, I would bet that not many spots are left but if you do have good numbers, visiting the school and sending additional targeted recommendation letters may help. Nevertheless, its safe to say that UM law probably have their entering class of 2013.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:18 am

With the way the economy is I highly doubt many schools will be reaching deep into their waitlists. For those on hold, what are your #s? I got in with a 2.98/159 but my first year grades were an anomaly. My gpa was in the mid 3s after I changed majors before soph year and transferred so I think UM cut me a bit of slack for that one bad year. Not to mention I had a solid personal statement. The acceptance rate is one of the few things stopping Miami from reaching the bottom of Tier 1...the job placement seems to be as good as any non T14 within South Florida. That said, even if Miami reaches 50th or falls back to 70th, the placement will probably be no better and no worse than it is now. Thats why changes in rankings after the top 30-40 shouldn't be obsessed over.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:30 am

eagles86 wrote:With the way the economy is I highly doubt many schools will be reaching deep into their waitlists. For those on hold, what are your #s? I got in with a 2.98/159 but my first year grades were an anomaly. My gpa was in the mid 3s after I changed majors before soph year and transferred so I think UM cut me a bit of slack for that one bad year. Not to mention I had a solid personal statement. The acceptance rate is one of the few things stopping Miami from reaching the bottom of Tier 1...the job placement seems to be as good as any non T14 within South Florida. That said, even if Miami reaches 50th or falls back to 70th, the placement will probably be no better and no worse than it is now. Thats why changes in rankings after the top 30-40 shouldn't be obsessed over.

3.6/152...sucky LSAT but good softs, plus I have family that are alumni. We'll see what happens, but even if I am offered admission, 40k a year (not including living expenses) is one tough pill to swallow. But with so many contacts down there in various legal fields, it still might be a good investment long-term.

eagles86

Postby eagles86 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:39 am

You should retake the LSAT in june or sometime in the future. Sadly, the odds of being admitted with a 152 aren't that good, especially in this economy. With your GPA a 156 should get you in.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:46 am

eagles86 wrote:You should retake the LSAT in june or sometime in the future. Sadly, the odds of being admitted with a 152 aren't that good, especially in this economy. With your GPA a 156 should get you in.

No thanks. Took it three times, cancelled once b/c of illness, probably should've done so on the second attempt bc of the same thing, and didnt leave myself a lot of time to recover on the third try. It sucks - I was PT'ing in the low 170's before all my health problems if you can believe it - but I'm not going to put my life on hold. Like I said, Rutgers gave me good money, and I don't like Miami that much as it is. The only thing keeping it in my mind is all of the contacts my family ties afford.

longroad

Postby longroad » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:30 am

eagles86 wrote:With the way the economy is I highly doubt many schools will be reaching deep into their waitlists. For those on hold, what are your #s? I got in with a 2.98/159 but my first year grades were an anomaly. My gpa was in the mid 3s after I changed majors before soph year and transferred so I think UM cut me a bit of slack for that one bad year. Not to mention I had a solid personal statement. The acceptance rate is one of the few things stopping Miami from reaching the bottom of Tier 1...the job placement seems to be as good as any non T14 within South Florida. That said, even if Miami reaches 50th or falls back to 70th, the placement will probably be no better and no worse than it is now. Thats why changes in rankings after the top 30-40 shouldn't be obsessed over.

put on hold with a 152/3.6 back in december and retook the lsat in february. scored 156. so im 156/3.6. i have sent two more letters or rec and an updated resume. also wrote a loci directed at them and some of their programs. have wanted to go here from the start if i didn't get any of my top choices in california (which i did not get).

i sadly agree with andromeda's logic and had thought of all of what he said before i read his post. i think we are basically screwed if we are on the hold or waitlist. i think the only ones who will get lucky are high lsats with low gpas and high gpas with low lsats if they are on hold to kind of solidify their final numbers (percentiles). although i really really really hope i am wrong.

if i had the 156/3.6 from the start (i applied in november) im pretty sure i wouldn't be having this convo. im really keeping my fingers crossed here.

LoveSaltLife

Postby LoveSaltLife » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:01 am

I've been on hold since October with a 158/3.6. I sent an updated resume and a targeted LOCI in January after finishing up the fall semester in UG. I think hold at this point just means rejection.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”