In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eberl032

Re: In at UMiami

Postby eberl032 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:11 pm

baboon309 wrote:I just got back from Scholars' Weekend. It was awesome! For those who planning to practice in Miami/S Florida, It's definitely a good choice.

You should comment on specifics. Whats the town like? How nice was campus? What type of atmosphere did it feel like? I think many would greatly appreciate it.

Congrats on being a scholar finalist

gpontoni

Postby gpontoni » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:43 pm

thanx StoneontaState

My comments we're meant to discourage anyone from following their dream of working in the music biz. Furthermore, it was directed at anyone interested in the music business specifically (which I have experience in), not the entertainment business as a whole. As far as the music business is concerned, I am not trying to mislead anyone..I am just giving firsthand insight into the harsh realities of this sector. If this is your passion, then go for it. Do bands/labels still need attorneys? Of course. However music law specifically is perhaps one of the most difficult and least lucrative areas of practice in light of recent developments. My point was that the industry has taken a double hit...the economy and the transformation of the biz itself. All the groundwork to legitimize a band can be done on the internet these days. I'm a BMI artist with all my songs RSIC coded and copyrighted. I am distributed through all the digital facets as well (Itunes, Raphsody etc..) all of which I accomplished from my computer chair. I was signed to an affiliate of Atlantic and the only time our lawyer made any considerable money from us was when he brokered the deal. The reality is less labels = less record deals = less need for attorneys. There's a flip side to every argument, I was just trying to point out the fact that this area is perhaps one of the most difficult areas of practice, and until the biz can figure out how to make money again, it will continue to be so.

minkins

Postby minkins » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:29 am

waverider wrote:[i]Anyway, my undergraduate school is IMPOSSIBLE to travel from so I won't be able to attend accepted students day. I'll be stuck in cold, snowy upstate NY. [/i

Being stuck in the cold weather will just make it that much sweeter coming to Miamii:)

Sorry if I sounded like an Ass

ASW/ASDs are more of a tour than an orientation. There will be plenty of students that go to an ASW and don't end up going to the school... so I don't think you'll feel left out if you don't go!

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:54 am

Is there also an orientation or something similar later on?

minkins

Postby minkins » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:58 pm

eberl032 wrote:Is there also an orientation or something similar later on?

From Miami's academic calendar for 2009-2010:

HOPE Day of Service Monday 8/10
Orientation Tuesday-Thursday 8/11-8/13
Legal Research & Writing Begins Friday 8/14
Classes Begin Monday 8/17 Classes Begin
Drop/Add for Courses Ends Friday 8/21
Drop/Add for Seminars & W/S Ends Friday 8/28
Labor Day Holiday Monday 9/7

--LinkRemoved--

GymTanLawSchool

Postby GymTanLawSchool » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:59 am

Don't know about you guys, but I am so pumped to move to Miami already. Everyday I just think about how awesome that city is going to be to live in: everything around it, the sporting events, the culture and networking opportunities, etc. The U is where I want to be. Almost 100% sure of it, ASW will seal the deal.

jkh

Postby jkh » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:09 pm

Does anybody who knows they are attending the U know where they plan on living? I have never been to Miami, but am visiting next week and would like to check out some housing while there. Any suggestions are appreciated.

msv5010

Postby msv5010 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:25 pm

Can't really help with housing but when are you visiting? I'll be there Monday.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:30 pm

I live in Miami and I cannot wait to get out. Every school I applied to was outside of Miami.

Ill address some things:

First, the sporting events? Nothing is close to UM except the American Airlines Arena where the Miami Heat play. Even that is like 25 minutes away. The stadium where baseball(FL Marlins) and football (Dolphins, Hurricanes) is played is about 35 minutes away. Worst of all, Miami is a huge bandwagon city so you will find that these venues and events are sparsely attended. Actually, worst of all is the weather. Baseball games are frequently rained out and it is no fun to watch a game when it's 90 degrees and humid outside.

Now the weather, it is hot all the time. Seasons do not exist here, only heat. It sounds nice in theory, but it gets annoying after a while. Especially during those days where it rains and rains.

As for the networking. Unless you know how to speak spanish, dont count on networking too much. Miami is a city in which you need to know spanish otherwise you are at the mercy of the non english speaking people. Let me put it this way, Miami could be its own little country.

The surrounding coral gables area is nice, but there is always limited parking and so many regulations. One such regulation: you arent allowed to park trucks in your driveway. Im serious. This is an actual Coral Gables ordinance.

What is nice about Miami is the nightlife. Honestly though, after a while it gets boring. I want to leave because I realized that outside of partying, there is not much to do.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:43 pm

I also live in Miami and I feel the opposite. I love Miami and rather live here than most other places. The weather is great (unless your coming from California), yes it rains for days sometimes but for the most part I love that you can be in a bathing suit and t-shirt all day. There is nothing like getting out of class and going to the beach or out on boat and in Miami you can do that every single day. As far as the bandwagon team thing and the far stadiums, yes that is completely true. I think Coral Gables is really nice and has lots to offer in terms of entertainments/bars/restaurants/etc. and it is all right next to UM. The nightlife is great if your into clubbing (which I'm not) and even then there are still good bars in Coconut Grove etc. Personally the only thing that may be coming between me and the U is a T14 but other than that I'll take Miami over anything.

jkh

Postby jkh » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:24 pm

msv5010, I won't be there until next Friday.

As far as the bar/club scene goes, I grew up in Vegas so the clubs are nothing new and the allure is not really there for me, although they are fun in moderation. Same with the heat, grew up in extreme heat and don't mind it most days (albiet a dry heat opposed to humidity)...the beach will be a nice change though! Also, Vegas has no professional sports teams so even bandwagon teams would be a nice change. For you two that live in Miami currently, any housing suggestions?

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:41 pm

The traffic in Miami is terrible, so you want to stay as close to Coral Gables as possible. Of course the cost of living in this area is astronomical. Public transportation is garbage, but the Metrorail does stop right outside of UM so that might open up your options. However, it runs in a straight line on US1 so its pretty useless.

If you dont mind "commuting" then you can look into the Kendall area. Slightly lower priced than the Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, South Miami area, but the drive to UM is long and lengthy during rush hour.

lawschool5523

Postby lawschool5523 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:48 pm

did anyone receive the letter about the james weldon johnson/robert h. waters summer institute? thoughts on it?

idiothek

Postby idiothek » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:02 pm

In, withdrew. Good luck to everyone still pending or on waitlists!

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:43 pm

For those of you whoa re admitted and got the admitted students website email... what is the "c number"???

EDIT: found it.
Last edited by sarlis on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:47 pm

I thought it was your Cane ID # but mine didn't work when I entered it.

Andreeai

Postby Andreeai » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:09 pm

When you log into your myum account, on the right hand side, where it says Personal and Biographical info, you will see you UM ID number. That is your c number

sarlis wrote:For those of you whoa re admitted and got the admitted students website email... what is the "c number"???

EDIT: found it.
Last edited by Andreeai on Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:10 pm

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:05 pm

withdrew today, good luck to those waiting!

melaniec

Postby melaniec » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Hey guys, I was admitted a while ago and havent heard about any $$. For those of you who did get $$, does it indicate this on your MyUm website under the Student- "Financial" tab?

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:31 am

wiggsb wrote:I thought it was your Cane ID # but mine didn't work when I entered it.

you have to make sure that "c" is in lower cased

jtgain

Postby jtgain » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:12 am

melaniec wrote:Hey guys, I was admitted a while ago and havent heard about any $$. For those of you who did get $$, does it indicate this on your MyUm website under the Student- "Financial" tab?

Mine does NOT have the scholly posted under that tab.

lawschool5523

Postby lawschool5523 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:12 am

Does anyone know if there is an additional accepted students day or open house?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:33 pm

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!! I'm in and so super excited. Does anyone know about the Friendship Apartment Complex? They said it's less than a mile away and 1 bedrooms run around $650? From the pictures I've seen, it's really cute! Know anything about it??

Anyone looking for a roomie?

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:40 pm

has anyone been accepted after being put on-hold ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”