In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
roguey
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:45 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby roguey » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:04 am

minkins wrote:
StoneontaState wrote:I'm not really buying it that the scholarship money has run out. That would be incredibly unfair to December LSAT takers. On the other hand if it's true that all the scholarship money has run out, I'd still go to Miami because its one of my top 3 choices. I'm not going to go to another school I don't want to just b/c they offer me money. I'd rather be in debt and go somewhere I enjoy.


Yeah I think this is a little ridiculous too. I didn't take the LSAT until December so I don't get any money? :? Just from those posting info on LSN, Miami has given quite a few $23k/year scholarships... maybe they should've been a little more stingy with the money early in the application process. I'd LOVE to be in Coral Gables but I'm not going to pay sticker at Miami when I've already gotten into cheaper and "better" schools.

I agree with Minkins... I was a December test taker, and my score jumped 10 points, opening up a lot more schools as possibilities. I really hope they aren't out of money, but that's kinda their loss because those of us who took the LSAT in December and did well will still get good scholarships to other universities. Maybe they were working off models and projections from previous years and didn't expect so many well-qualified applicants to apply starting in January?

GTLAWSCHOOL
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby GTLAWSCHOOL » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:38 pm

Did anyone attend the chat yesterday?

mango26
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby mango26 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:41 pm

GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:Did anyone attend the chat yesterday?


i did. the only question i asked was about scholarships, and they basically said (again) that they are out of money....i'm hoping though that once people who received $ start withdrawing that it will get redistributed.

jtgain
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby jtgain » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:22 pm

mango26 wrote:
GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:Did anyone attend the chat yesterday?


i did. the only question i asked was about scholarships, and they basically said (again) that they are out of money....i'm hoping though that once people who received $ start withdrawing that it will get redistributed.


I'm not sure about that. I thought that they gave out scholarship money knowing that a certain percentage would withdraw. So, even when the eventual withdraws come, they will still be out of money. I don't know..

mango26
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby mango26 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:30 pm

jtgain wrote:
mango26 wrote:
GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:Did anyone attend the chat yesterday?


i did. the only question i asked was about scholarships, and they basically said (again) that they are out of money....i'm hoping though that once people who received $ start withdrawing that it will get redistributed.


I'm not sure about that. I thought that they gave out scholarship money knowing that a certain percentage would withdraw. So, even when the eventual withdraws come, they will still be out of money. I don't know..


ya, you are prob right...so it looks like either way no more money from miami this cycle...too bad because i was seriously considering going there with $. i moved away from south florida a few years ago and was looking forward to maybe moving back. but i can't pay miami's full tuition when i have (much) cheaper options.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby darknightbegins » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:36 pm

mango26 wrote:
jtgain wrote:
mango26 wrote:
GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:Did anyone attend the chat yesterday?


i did. the only question i asked was about scholarships, and they basically said (again) that they are out of money....i'm hoping though that once people who received $ start withdrawing that it will get redistributed.


I'm not sure about that. I thought that they gave out scholarship money knowing that a certain percentage would withdraw. So, even when the eventual withdraws come, they will still be out of money. I don't know..


ya, you are prob right...so it looks like either way no more money from miami this cycle...too bad because i was seriously considering going there with $. i moved away from south florida a few years ago and was looking forward to maybe moving back. but i can't pay miami's full tuition when i have (much) cheaper options.


Yeah 40K is pretty damn steep for a school of its rank. What are your cheaper options?

mango26
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby mango26 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:05 am

Yeah 40K is pretty damn steep for a school of its rank. What are your cheaper options?[/quote]

as of now the cheaper options are fsu, or loyola (with $), still waiting to hear back from 10 more schools. (i applied to way too many schools...it's making the decision process really difficult since i am not exactly sure where i want to be)
ya miami's 40k plus miami COL wouldn't be my smartest choice at this point.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby darknightbegins » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:35 am

I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I applied to way too many schools. Thankfully I have heard back from my safeties and can cross most of them off. I applied to Santa Clara and UC Davis because I go free waivers on the application. Unless one of them throws a nice chunk of money at me I likely won't go there considering the cluster fuck that is the state of California right now. I'm waiting to hear back from several other schools, like UNM still though. I'm not sure where I want to go to school but I know I want a warm climate.

LoveSaltLife
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby LoveSaltLife » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:22 am

Has anyone been admitted after being placed on hold this cycle?

lawschool5523
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:10 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby lawschool5523 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:03 pm

anyone interested in the new Music J.D./M.M program??

waverider
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby waverider » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:30 am

In at the U

UM is not really a possibility (too pricey!).

Nevertheless its nice to get my first acceptance at a school that I wouldn't mind going to

User avatar
StoneontaState
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:11 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby StoneontaState » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:10 pm

lawschool5523 wrote:anyone interested in the new Music J.D./M.M program??


I was all over that as soon as they announced it. Music Business is my undergraduate major! 8) . They only take 8 ppl per year though.

User avatar
roguey
Posts: 291
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:45 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby roguey » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:16 pm

I'm wondering if they'll ever give me an answer on the Miami Scholars Program. I saw one person received a response a week or two ago... Maybe I'm on the borderline and they are just waiting to see if someone better comes along before March 1st?

gpontoni
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:28 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby gpontoni » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:27 pm

I would definitely stay far away from music law. I've been in the music business for 5 years now and it's headed nowhere but down. I am in a regionally known rock band, in fact we're opening for Saliva and Hoobastank here in FL in May, and was also interested in this area of law as well. My band's music attorney Nick Ferrara out of NYC (Maroon 5, Fall Out Boy, John Meyer, Collective Soul, Creed, Pantera and a host of other clients) made millions from the business and his advice to me was to not get into music law. There is still no viable source of income for those involved in the business, and the number of labels have dwindled to nearly 0. Granted, the economy as a whole is in trouble, but the music business has taken a double hit. Not only has the economy hurt single sales, but the advent of digital downloading has all but crushed the biz. As the industry collapsed on itself there stood a plethora of lawyers with no clients. The good ole supply and demand problem. And even though the economy will rebound, the outlook is not so good for the music business.

Just my 2 cents.

*accepted to UM but I think I'm going to choose Stetson

User avatar
bstrunk
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:26 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby bstrunk » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:22 pm

LoveSaltLife wrote:Has anyone been admitted after being placed on hold this cycle?


Also seeking an answer to this question.

User avatar
LadyTarHeelian
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:59 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby LadyTarHeelian » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:30 pm

Does anyone know what method UM prefers for application withdrawals? I sent them an email in the past to which they did not respond so I'm questioning the efficacy of emailing a withdrawal.

User avatar
StoneontaState
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:11 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby StoneontaState » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:14 pm

gpontoni wrote:I would definitely stay far away from music law. I've been in the music business for 5 years now and it's headed nowhere but down. I am in a regionally known rock band, in fact we're opening for Saliva and Hoobastank here in FL in May, and was also interested in this area of law as well. My band's music attorney Nick Ferrara out of NYC (Maroon 5, Fall Out Boy, John Meyer, Collective Soul, Creed, Pantera and a host of other clients) made millions from the business and his advice to me was to not get into music law. There is still no viable source of income for those involved in the business, and the number of labels have dwindled to nearly 0. Granted, the economy as a whole is in trouble, but the music business has taken a double hit. Not only has the economy hurt single sales, but the advent of digital downloading has all but crushed the biz. As the industry collapsed on itself there stood a plethora of lawyers with no clients. The good ole supply and demand problem. And even though the economy will rebound, the outlook is not so good for the music business.

Just my 2 cents.

*accepted to UM but I think I'm going to choose Stetson


So bands and labels don't need lawyers to review contracts? Give me a break. I know someone who went to Whittier Law, a TIER 4 and got a job as a lawyer with Sony. There will always be jobs for lawyers in the music business, not to mention that this program isn't only for the music business, it is for other entertainment industries as well. Just because the Major Labels are failing doesn't mean that someone with a Law Degree and Concurrent music degree can't work somewhere else in the business.

waverider
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby waverider » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:31 pm

StoneontaState... relax

gpontoni was just posting a response to the question if anyone else is interested in the music program.

Honestly it bugs me when people post on forums that are meant for open discussion but get ultra defensive when any opinion contradicts their own

On a side note it sounds like a very interesting program. It sounds competative. Best of luck to you!

User avatar
Charles Barkley
Posts: 445
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 9:56 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Charles Barkley » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:10 pm

So who's going to ASW?

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:05 am

Charles Barkley wrote:So who's going to ASW?


all of us are!: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=107656

User avatar
StoneontaState
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:11 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby StoneontaState » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:37 pm

waverider wrote:StoneontaState... relax

Honestly it bugs me when people post on forums that are meant for open discussion but get ultra defensive when any opinion contradicts their own


He was misleading people with his statements by saying there is basically no point in doing the joint MM/JD program when there are many benefits of having those 2 degrees concurrently.

Anyway, my undergraduate school is IMPOSSIBLE to travel from so I won't be able to attend accepted students day. I'll be stuck in cold, snowy upstate NY. :(

waverider
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby waverider » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:57 pm

[i]Anyway, my undergraduate school is IMPOSSIBLE to travel from so I won't be able to attend accepted students day. I'll be stuck in cold, snowy upstate NY. [/i

Being stuck in the cold weather will just make it that much sweeter coming to Miamii:)

Sorry if I sounded like an Ass

User avatar
eberl032
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:52 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby eberl032 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:27 pm

Is admitted students day like an orientation (welcoming incoming students and showing them the ropes)? or more like a campus visit (with a tour and info session)?

I dont think I can afford the flight out and am worried by not attending I will be sort of left out (which is not the way I want to start law school) I want to feel like part of the community.

User avatar
baboon309
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby baboon309 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:45 pm

I just got back from Scholars' Weekend. It was awesome! For those who planning to practice in Miami/S Florida, It's definitely a good choice.

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:04 pm

baboon309 wrote:I just got back from Scholars' Weekend. It was awesome! For those who planning to practice in Miami/S Florida, It's definitely a good choice.


You'll have tell me about it at OSUs ASW lol




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: henryyou and 5 guests