In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Pleadthe5th
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Pleadthe5th » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:46 am

whuts4lunch wrote:
Mitch McDeere wrote:
Threepeat wrote:Just got the scholarship letter in the mail. 23k/year with a 3.2 GPA stipulation. I wonder how tough the curve is at Miami...Anyone heard anything?

I'm not sure about the curve, but I read on here somewhere that Miami places all of the people with scholarships into the same section. I hope that's not the case because I just got the same offer, and really don't like the idea of competing against other scholly recipients in order to keep the money during 2L and 3L. Does anyone know if this is true?


wwwoooooahhh.... that would change the value of the scholarship tremendously. Not only would it be a very realistic possibility to lose the scholarship, but competing against an abnormally high proportion of scholarship students would likely hurt one's class rank.


Miami does not stack sections with scholarship students. I heard this myth months ago and actually asked one of the admissions officers about it when I visited. She had heard the rumor before and told me that they would never even think of doing something like that. Hope this clears things up.

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:02 pm

Pleadthe5th wrote:
whuts4lunch wrote:
Mitch McDeere wrote:
Threepeat wrote:Just got the scholarship letter in the mail. 23k/year with a 3.2 GPA stipulation. I wonder how tough the curve is at Miami...Anyone heard anything?

I'm not sure about the curve, but I read on here somewhere that Miami places all of the people with scholarships into the same section. I hope that's not the case because I just got the same offer, and really don't like the idea of competing against other scholly recipients in order to keep the money during 2L and 3L. Does anyone know if this is true?


wwwoooooahhh.... that would change the value of the scholarship tremendously. Not only would it be a very realistic possibility to lose the scholarship, but competing against an abnormally high proportion of scholarship students would likely hurt one's class rank.


Miami does not stack sections with scholarship students. I heard this myth months ago and actually asked one of the admissions officers about it when I visited. She had heard the rumor before and told me that they would never even think of doing something like that. Hope this clears things up.


Yay!!

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:01 pm

Got the scholly letter in the mail today!! so pumped, The U is now in my top 3!

User avatar
Zojirushi
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Zojirushi » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:38 pm

So if I received no email or letter, is it positive there will be no scholarship? I will withdraw if so.

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:33 pm

Zojirushi wrote:So if I received no email or letter, is it positive there will be no scholarship? I will withdraw if so.


I wouldn't give up hope if I were you: my email came after the first round of emails last week.

Of course, this doesn;t answer your specific question about emails = scholarship

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby the lantern » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:12 pm

I just got accepted like 3 days ago and I only submitted two days ago, so I'm just going to give it a month or two, and if I don't hear about $$$ by then, I'll go ahead and withdraw.

User avatar
Chelios
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:04 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Chelios » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:18 am

Just got a 69,000$ scholarship :D :D

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby ogman05 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:31 am

Chelios wrote:Just got a 69,000$ scholarship :D :D


Is that per year or over three?

User avatar
Chelios
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:04 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Chelios » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:49 am

ogman05 wrote:
Chelios wrote:Just got a 69,000$ scholarship :D :D


Is that per year or over three?


Over 3 (23k/year). Yearly tuition is 38k, so it'd be pretty sweet to get 69k a year 8)

User avatar
illini10
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:44 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby illini10 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:57 am

How do I check my status? I never received an email with a login or password

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:58 am

illini10 wrote:How do I check my status? I never received an email with a login or password


The U does not have a status checker. But they come back with a decision really quickly.

User avatar
illini10
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:44 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby illini10 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:01 am

I came close to going to The U UG with full ride. I wanted a big college campus but for Law school Miami would be a great place to go!

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:04 am

illini10 wrote:I came close to going to The U UG with full ride. I wanted a big college campus but for Law school Miami would be a great place to go!


I completely agree!

User avatar
jlnoa0915
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:25 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby jlnoa0915 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:12 am

Me too, unless its sticker. Hope they send out some more emails

jtgain
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby jtgain » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:33 am

jlnoa0915 wrote:Me too, unless its sticker. Hope they send out some more emails


Yeah, I'm starting to get worried. No way am I going to the U at sticker. I should qualify for SOME scholly money at least..

User avatar
MixedGirl2009
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby MixedGirl2009 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:22 pm

Chelios wrote:Just got a 69,000$ scholarship :D :D


Congrats!!! That would be amazing, merry early xmas! Did you get the email beforehand? When did you apply?

User avatar
um08
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:31 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby um08 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:03 pm

In via mail 12/22!

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:07 pm

um08 wrote:In via mail 12/22!


Congrats!

User avatar
um08
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:31 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby um08 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:15 pm

sarlis wrote:
um08 wrote:In via mail 12/22!


Congrats!



Thanks.. went to Miami for undergrad, and miss that weather.. a lot.. so if they throw a decent scholarship my way, could be a tough decision.. assuming I also get into one my targets.

User avatar
baboon309
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby baboon309 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Just got my scholly mail. 23k/yr. Does anyone here applying for Miami Scholars Program? Do they replace your 23k/yr merit scholarship with 25k/yr if you are selected as Miami Scholar?

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:50 pm

baboon309 wrote:Just got my scholly mail. 23k/yr. Does anyone here applying for Miami Scholars Program? Do they replace your 23k/yr merit scholarship with 25k/yr if you are selected as Miami Scholar?


Where can I find more info on the scholars program?

Is that the public law one?

User avatar
Chelios
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:04 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Chelios » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:29 pm

MixedGirl2009 wrote:
Chelios wrote:Just got a 69,000$ scholarship :D :D


Congrats!!! That would be amazing, merry early xmas! Did you get the email beforehand? When did you apply?



Thanks : )

I applied 11/15, and I did get the email beforehand. It probably took about a week and a half for the letter to arrive after getting the email (Miami to Orlando).

User avatar
Estrellas
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Estrellas » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:37 pm

sarlis wrote:
baboon309 wrote:Just got my scholly mail. 23k/yr. Does anyone here applying for Miami Scholars Program? Do they replace your 23k/yr merit scholarship with 25k/yr if you are selected as Miami Scholar?


Where can I find more info on the scholars program?

Is that the public law one?


Baboon - that's a good question that I haven't thought about yet! I think I remember reading something in the scholarship letter that this scholarship would replace the merit one, but don't quote me on it.

Here's a link with some more info and the application: --LinkRemoved--

safoamerica1
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:42 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby safoamerica1 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:47 pm

I sent my app in, I hope I get in. 160/2.85. Hope it works.

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:56 pm

Estrellas wrote:
sarlis wrote:
baboon309 wrote:Just got my scholly mail. 23k/yr. Does anyone here applying for Miami Scholars Program? Do they replace your 23k/yr merit scholarship with 25k/yr if you are selected as Miami Scholar?


Where can I find more info on the scholars program?

Is that the public law one?



Here's a link with some more info and the application: --LinkRemoved--



Thanks!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], jtg1017, Mr. Bubbles, pandaaa, spookyg_g_ghost, Thomas Hagan, ESQ., tinafeyclone and 24 guests