In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:30 pm

Received the scholarship email!

Is it courteous, or just a good idea, to respond to the email, saying something along the lines of thank you, or no?

User avatar
MixedGirl2009
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby MixedGirl2009 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:16 pm

sarlis wrote:Received the scholarship email!

Is it courteous, or just a good idea, to respond to the email, saying something along the lines of thank you, or no?


Did you receive it just today or along with all the other people who received it a few days ago?? are your numbers > than the 75th percentile?

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby the lantern » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:45 pm

Received a letter today offering acceptance at the U. 165/2.97 (extreme extreme upward trend, military service, work history, etc.) Miami is probably in my top 3 if I get at least a half scholarship, not even in the top 10 without. I'm not sure if I am good scholarship material but I had a fee waiver and I would really like to attend.
Last edited by the lantern on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:48 pm

MixedGirl2009 wrote:
sarlis wrote:Received the scholarship email!

Is it courteous, or just a good idea, to respond to the email, saying something along the lines of thank you, or no?


Did you receive it just today or along with all the other people who received it a few days ago?? are your numbers > than the 75th percentile?


Just today. And yes, my numbers are both above the 75th

User avatar
BriaTharen
Posts: 750
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Called the admissions office to see if my application was complete (application received on 12/2, so it had been a while), and found out I was admitted! Yay! 3.20, 160.

User avatar
Threepeat
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Threepeat » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:13 pm

Just got the scholarship letter in the mail. 23k/year with a 3.2 GPA stipulation. I wonder how tough the curve is at Miami...Anyone heard anything?

User avatar
Mitch McDeere
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:57 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Mitch McDeere » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:00 pm

Threepeat wrote:Just got the scholarship letter in the mail. 23k/year with a 3.2 GPA stipulation. I wonder how tough the curve is at Miami...Anyone heard anything?

I'm not sure about the curve, but I read on here somewhere that Miami places all of the people with scholarships into the same section. I hope that's not the case because I just got the same offer, and really don't like the idea of competing against other scholly recipients in order to keep the money during 2L and 3L. Does anyone know if this is true?

User avatar
nit00
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby nit00 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:21 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:Called the admissions office to see if my application was complete (application received on 12/2, so it had been a while), and found out I was admitted! Yay! 3.20, 160.


Hmm..mine was received 12/10, wonder if I should give them a call this week.

User avatar
nit00
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby nit00 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:48 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:Called the admissions office to see if my application was complete (application received on 12/2, so it had been a while), and found out I was admitted! Yay! 3.20, 160.


Congrats by the way!

User avatar
whuts4lunch
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby whuts4lunch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:55 pm

Mitch McDeere wrote:
Threepeat wrote:Just got the scholarship letter in the mail. 23k/year with a 3.2 GPA stipulation. I wonder how tough the curve is at Miami...Anyone heard anything?

I'm not sure about the curve, but I read on here somewhere that Miami places all of the people with scholarships into the same section. I hope that's not the case because I just got the same offer, and really don't like the idea of competing against other scholly recipients in order to keep the money during 2L and 3L. Does anyone know if this is true?


wwwoooooahhh.... that would change the value of the scholarship tremendously. Not only would it be a very realistic possibility to lose the scholarship, but competing against an abnormally high proportion of scholarship students would likely hurt one's class rank.

User avatar
whuts4lunch
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby whuts4lunch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:56 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:
Mitch McDeere wrote:
Threepeat wrote:Just got the scholarship letter in the mail. 23k/year with a 3.2 GPA stipulation. I wonder how tough the curve is at Miami...Anyone heard anything?

I'm not sure about the curve, but I read on here somewhere that Miami places all of the people with scholarships into the same section. I hope that's not the case because I just got the same offer, and really don't like the idea of competing against other scholly recipients in order to keep the money during 2L and 3L. Does anyone know if this is true?


wwwoooooahhh.... that would change the value of the scholarship tremendously. Not only would it be a very realistic possibility to lose the scholarship, but competing against an abnormally high proportion of scholarship students would likely hurt one's class rank.


isn't the entire 1L class ranked together?

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Mitch McDeere wrote:
Threepeat wrote:Just got the scholarship letter in the mail. 23k/year with a 3.2 GPA stipulation. I wonder how tough the curve is at Miami...Anyone heard anything?

I'm not sure about the curve, but I read on here somewhere that Miami places all of the people with scholarships into the same section. I hope that's not the case because I just got the same offer, and really don't like the idea of competing against other scholly recipients in order to keep the money during 2L and 3L. Does anyone know if this is true?


This can't be the case

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby the lantern » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:02 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:
whuts4lunch wrote:
Mitch McDeere wrote:
Threepeat wrote:Just got the scholarship letter in the mail. 23k/year with a 3.2 GPA stipulation. I wonder how tough the curve is at Miami...Anyone heard anything?

I'm not sure about the curve, but I read on here somewhere that Miami places all of the people with scholarships into the same section. I hope that's not the case because I just got the same offer, and really don't like the idea of competing against other scholly recipients in order to keep the money during 2L and 3L. Does anyone know if this is true?


wwwoooooahhh.... that would change the value of the scholarship tremendously. Not only would it be a very realistic possibility to lose the scholarship, but competing against an abnormally high proportion of scholarship students would likely hurt one's class rank.


isn't the entire 1L class ranked together?


The entire class is ranked together, but the sections are curved individually. Say you have 350 students, and 5 sections of 70. Each 70 student section will be curved in the same manner. If they cram all the scholarship recipients into the same section, some people MUST lose their scholarships. The entire class will be ranked together, but there must be X amount of A's, B's, C's, etc. in each section. This is (allegedly) a common tactic at many law schools.

Personally, I would take any scholarship with a GPA requirement with a big grain of salt. I (likely) will not attend any school which offers me a conditional scholarship unless I would be comfortable paying sticker. Miami is not worth sticker (at least to me), so if I get a scholarship, I will request it be made unconditional or else I will withdraw.
Last edited by the lantern on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:04 pm

Right. But does that mean they put all scholarship recipients in the same section?

dms87
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby dms87 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:23 pm

the lantern wrote:
whuts4lunch wrote:
whuts4lunch wrote:
Mitch McDeere wrote:I'm not sure about the curve, but I read on here somewhere that Miami places all of the people with scholarships into the same section. I hope that's not the case because I just got the same offer, and really don't like the idea of competing against other scholly recipients in order to keep the money during 2L and 3L. Does anyone know if this is true?


wwwoooooahhh.... that would change the value of the scholarship tremendously. Not only would it be a very realistic possibility to lose the scholarship, but competing against an abnormally high proportion of scholarship students would likely hurt one's class rank.


isn't the entire 1L class ranked together?


The entire class is ranked together, but the sections are curved individually. Say you have 350 students, and 5 sections of 70. Each 70 student section will be curved in the same manner. If they cram all the scholarship recipients into the same section, some people MUST lose their scholarships. The entire class will be ranked together, but there must be X amount of A's, B's, C's, etc. in each section. This is (allegedly) a common tactic at many law schools.

Personally, I would take any scholarship with a GPA requirement with a big grain of salt. I (likely) will not attend any school which offers me a conditional scholarship unless I would be comfortable paying sticker. Miami is not worth sticker (at least to me), so if I get a scholarship, I will request it be made unconditional or else I will withdraw.


Wow, this sounds really bad. I highly doubt you can request that, and it is quite arrogant of you to even consider doing that.

User avatar
whuts4lunch
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby whuts4lunch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:27 pm

dms87 wrote:Wow, this sounds really bad. I highly doubt you can request that, and it is quite arrogant of you to even consider doing that.


I'm sure he/she can request that. Why is it arrogant to "even consider doing that"?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby keg411 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:22 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:
dms87 wrote:Wow, this sounds really bad. I highly doubt you can request that, and it is quite arrogant of you to even consider doing that.


I'm sure he/she can request that. Why is it arrogant to "even consider doing that"?


It's not arrogant. It's called negotiating and it's smart.

howie
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:50 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby howie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:45 pm

basically I am trying to get an idea of what it would be like to live in miami, i am from upstate NY, and have only been to florida on family vacations so my image of florida is sunburns, seafood, beaches, and golf. Obviously that view is distorted, so i was just trying to get some insight of what miami would be like, obviously i have heard it described as 'clubland' and i am assuming miami is not like the traditional south.

the lantern
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby the lantern » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Wow, this sounds really bad. I highly doubt you can request that, and it is quite arrogant of you to even consider doing that.


Read up on how people negotiate for scholarships. I have a decent LSAT and poor GPA, so I'm not in as good of a position as someone like you. With a 171/3.7, make sure you are aware of the negotiating that normally takes place. You are in a great position as you could possibly help a school raise both medians. There are a couple of TLS articles on asking for scholarships and whatnot. If you approach them like: "Hey, I would really like to attend Miami, but I am wary of a scholarship based off of my GPA... etc." The worst thing they can do is say no. You (or I) are certainly not the first ones to negotiate a scholarship and we will not be the last.

Check out this article called "Negotiating Merit Aid"
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

User avatar
eberl032
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:52 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby eberl032 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Got the letter today. 23k/yr. Im excited!

dms87
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:05 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby dms87 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:27 pm

the lantern wrote:
Wow, this sounds really bad. I highly doubt you can request that, and it is quite arrogant of you to even consider doing that.


Read up on how people negotiate for scholarships. I have a decent LSAT and poor GPA, so I'm not in as good of a position as someone like you. With a 171/3.7, make sure you are aware of the negotiating that normally takes place. You are in a great position as you could possibly help a school raise both medians. There are a couple of TLS articles on asking for scholarships and whatnot. If you approach them like: "Hey, I would really like to attend Miami, but I am wary of a scholarship based off of my GPA... etc." The worst thing they can do is say no. You (or I) are certainly not the first ones to negotiate a scholarship and we will not be the last.

Check out this article called "Negotiating Merit Aid"
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373


Let me apologize then. My bad - I'm sorry. I didn't know we could do that. Thanks a lot for the mature and helpful response.

It's quite obvious you are a class act ldo! Thanks again.

Anthony23
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Anthony23 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:50 pm

howie wrote:basically I am trying to get an idea of what it would be like to live in miami, i am from upstate NY, and have only been to florida on family vacations so my image of florida is sunburns, seafood, beaches, and golf. Obviously that view is distorted, so i was just trying to get some insight of what miami would be like, obviously i have heard it described as 'clubland' and i am assuming miami is not like the traditional south.


Hey Howie

Miami is definitely not your typical South. "Clubland" is new to me but I guess it could be somewhat accurate. It is an extremely pretentious place normally. Of course, the weather is beautiful the majority of the time and if you can study outside- awesome. I am from Florida and spent time in Miami. I also have friends who go to UM now, and practice there and West Palm as well. The lifestyle of Miami is very entertaining at the minimum. Most people I know, prefer to live near Miami but not in it. Those that live in it, are from there, or practicing with bigger firms there. Good luck! The more money you have in Miami, the better- but I guess this would be a universal... so sorry if it is not much help

User avatar
Kojack
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:32 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Kojack » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:19 am

I'm from Miami and currently attend the U. Miami does have a large club scene. You can party at the Grove, Brickell or south beach on any day of the week.

Although Miami is a tremendous party city, I feel that everyone gets something different out of it. It is like no other city in the south. When you are in Mia, you need to go north in order to be in the south.

User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sarlis » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:39 am

howie wrote:basically I am trying to get an idea of what it would be like to live in miami, i am from upstate NY, and have only been to florida on family vacations so my image of florida is sunburns, seafood, beaches, and golf. Obviously that view is distorted, so i was just trying to get some insight of what miami would be like, obviously i have heard it described as 'clubland' and i am assuming miami is not like the traditional south.


I asked a bunch of similar questions in this thread already, and got great responses from people attending The U or living in Miami. I think their responses are on page 5 or 6 of this thread

lawschool5523
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:10 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby lawschool5523 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:58 am

I actually have grown up in south Florida, and had negative stereotypes about UMiami until I went and visited the law school a few months ago. Although Miami itself can be very clubgoing, etc., the law school is in Coral Gables which is one of the nicest areas surrounding Miami. The campus itself is very nice, and has the feeling of a college campus. You don't feel like you are in a city, or surround by one. If anyone has any questions about south Florida in general (West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, etc.) or about my visit feel free to PM me :)




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: andpeggy, AZnative, bleakchimera2, charmonster, hammy393, mav1993, ramp_999, zihua and 14 guests