In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
goflmarlins
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby goflmarlins » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:05 pm

wow.... it seems that they will pull some people off the waitlist. I guess alot depends on how many people are on the waitlist and where we are placed on the list. I would expect we should hear something soon since the second deposit was due last week. Hopefully they will go ahead and let us know!

User avatar
dhg5004
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby dhg5004 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:15 am

goflmarlins wrote:wow.... it seems that they will pull some people off the waitlist. I guess alot depends on how many people are on the waitlist and where we are placed on the list. I would expect we should hear something soon since the second deposit was due last week. Hopefully they will go ahead and let us know!



Well I spoke to someone at the admissions office...and she sort of whispered to me that they're just about full....without even looking at the waitlist. So she said they will have to wait a while longer to see who ends up securing all their deposits....i don't know when this would be ? is there a third deposit? did the second deposit already happen? how will they know if students have given their word that they will be attending come fall?

not really sure how that works. Regardless...the conversation was not very comforting.

hatteras1
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:57 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby hatteras1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:27 pm

dhg5004 wrote:
goflmarlins wrote:wow.... it seems that they will pull some people off the waitlist. I guess alot depends on how many people are on the waitlist and where we are placed on the list. I would expect we should hear something soon since the second deposit was due last week. Hopefully they will go ahead and let us know!



Well I spoke to someone at the admissions office...and she sort of whispered to me that they're just about full....without even looking at the waitlist. So she said they will have to wait a while longer to see who ends up securing all their deposits....i don't know when this would be ? is there a third deposit? did the second deposit already happen? how will they know if students have given their word that they will be attending come fall?

not really sure how that works. Regardless...the conversation was not very comforting.


There is definitely no third seat deposit, so sending in your second deposit tells them you are attending in the fall. And yes, the second seat deposit already happened for everyone, the deadline was June 1. (I am guessing that this was for everyone, it is the date that my letter specified, and I was pulled from hold so I was a late acceptance... so I believe June 1st was probably the latest.) Hopefully they are firming things up now and can give some answers!! Good luck!!

matt6850
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby matt6850 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Did everyone's waitlist notification start off with "You have been selected as an alternate for admission to the University of Miami School of Law. We regret that the keen competition for seats in this fall's entering class makes it impossible for us to grant you admission at this time." I've just never heard of a waitlister being referred to as an alternate.

goflmarlins
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby goflmarlins » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:59 pm

My status states that also.

What is everyones date for when they are going to withdraw from the waitlist and go to their second choice?

User avatar
dhg5004
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby dhg5004 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Ahh. So its safe to say we're all screwed. What b.s. It is seriously comical to me. My LSAT was wayyy above their median...sooo I have no idea why I was waitlisted to begin with. Probably because I'm a white male.

Darn wish I were hispanic. Funny too...you'd think Miami law would want more white people considering the city of Miami itself is about 75% hispanic.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby trialjunky » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:26 pm

dhg5004 wrote:Ahh. So its safe to say we're all screwed. What b.s. It is seriously comical to me. My LSAT was wayyy above their median...sooo I have no idea why I was waitlisted to begin with. Probably because I'm a white male.

Darn wish I were hispanic. Funny too...you'd think Miami law would want more white people considering the city of Miami itself is about 75% hispanic.


Let's not go down this road again.

Also, I would take what everyone is saying with a grain of salt unless you've spoken with someone in admissions yourself. I have it on good authority, that some of the naysayers and "no one from wl will be pulled" talk come from people hoping you'll pull off the list. Also, remember their is a trickle down effect. If someone enrolled, get's off the wl at their top school, they leave a spot that needs to be filled. If you dont have kids and a wife/husband, I'd ride it all the way out if you really want to go.

matchesmalone
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby matchesmalone » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:45 pm

I know a lot of people like me paid their 2nd deposit and are holding out for their other schools. Even if they are full, I'd expect movement after July.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby trialjunky » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:37 pm

matchesmalone wrote:I know a lot of people like me paid their 2nd deposit and are holding out for their other schools. Even if they are full, I'd expect movement after July.


thats what happened to me...and I was willing to sit on that wl until the day of classes and maybe the first week. I have a friend who got the call from the dean the day of her orientation. She went and was never happier

Alwaysmile618
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Alwaysmile618 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:22 am

I hear a lot of worries from those of you who are on the wait-list but I can tell you that nothing is definite until at least few more weeks have passed. I am one of those people who have put in their second deposit at the U. but are still riding the wait-list out at a different school (U. Pitt). On my part, if I am accepted at the Pitt then I will be withdrawing from Miami and will be moving on and I am guessing there are many people out of 400+ people who have put in their second deposits who are on the same boat as me. So, for those of you who are on the wait-list, don't worry too much but as the dean of admission wrote to you, I would prepare myself in case that there are not enough seats for all of you.

Good luck to you and good luck to myself.

x3jessica3x
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:12 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby x3jessica3x » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:12 pm

Alwaysmile618 wrote:I hear a lot of worries from those of you who are on the wait-list but I can tell you that nothing is definite until at least few more weeks have passed. I am one of those people who have put in their second deposit at the U. but are still riding the wait-list out at a different school (U. Pitt). On my part, if I am accepted at the Pitt then I will be withdrawing from Miami and will be moving on and I am guessing there are many people out of 400+ people who have put in their second deposits who are on the same boat as me. So, for those of you who are on the wait-list, don't worry too much but as the dean of admission wrote to you, I would prepare myself in case that there are not enough seats for all of you.

Good luck to you and good luck to myself.


waiting waiting waiting. Definitely trying not to worry for a couple more weeks. There will always be random spots that open up. Luckily I live in Miami so I can pretty much wait until the end. Hopefully I will be one of those people who gives my spots to others at the other schools I got into. Definitely want to go to UM

goflmarlins
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby goflmarlins » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:57 am

Any news???

Wall2Law
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Wall2Law » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:17 am

Yes, DO NOT be discouraged by your letter from the Dean and do not withdraw if you truly want to go to Miami. With the pricetag of the U, I am sure there are more that are waitlisted at another institution and are waiting it out. This despite paying their second deposit to Miami. Stick it out.
Last edited by Wall2Law on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bstrunk
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:26 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby bstrunk » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:35 am

Withdrew from the waiting list. Good luck to all those headed to Miami (and those still hoping to).

goflmarlins
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby goflmarlins » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Emailed Mr. Goodnight about when they would pull fromt he waitlist and he responded with this

"It does not appear that we will be going to our wait list. We will be releasing the majority of our wait listed applicants over the next two weeks. I wish you the very best and hope that you are making other plans to begin your legal studies. If we can provide any transfer information in the future, please let us know".

bomedtheLSAT101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:58 pm

anyone get off the waitlist??? or is anyone else withdrawing?

matt6850
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby matt6850 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:06 pm

Has anyone been released from the waitlist?

Alwaysmile618
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Alwaysmile618 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:43 pm

Lebron James Signs with the Miami Heat~!!

U. Miami is looking mighty attractive now~

txhorn
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:18 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby txhorn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Alwaysmile618 wrote:Lebron James Signs with the Miami Heat~!!

U. Miami is looking mighty attractive now~


I know, the prestige just shot through the ceiling! Top 2/3 biglaw!!!

bomedtheLSAT101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:42 pm

so you guys are dissing UM???? thats messed up

bomedtheLSAT101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:29 pm

i actually think in terms of jobs its 1.) UF, 2.) UM 3.) FSU 4.) stetson then the rest looking at the firm associates at the top 3 law firms in florida

goflmarlins
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby goflmarlins » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:29 am

My status changed to admission doc. needed. Did this happen to anyone else?? If so do u know what it means?

sixstringskater4
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:07 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sixstringskater4 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:14 pm

goflmarlins wrote:My status changed to admission doc. needed. Did this happen to anyone else?? If so do u know what it means?


yes, this happened to me today too. what's bizarre is that i called them this morning and the secretary said the class is full and that they won't be tapping into the waitlist. i have no idea what the change online means though, but i don't like the looks of it.

bomedtheLSAT101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:53 pm

means rejection imo

Temka
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Temka » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:29 pm

goflmarlins wrote:My status changed to admission doc. needed. Did this happen to anyone else?? If so do u know what it means?

+1




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: azaleafire, AZnative, neptunian, oliviaj_j, Photomike2, tlsfan13 and 17 guests