In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
trialjunky

Re: In at UMiami

Postby trialjunky » Fri May 14, 2010 3:28 pm

In the Facebook group, why can't you see (read: snoop around) everyone's profile who has joined?

Jetsetter

Postby Jetsetter » Fri May 14, 2010 10:54 pm

Did anyone apply to James Weldon Johnson/Robert H. Waters Summer Institute ?
Heard anything yet? I'm on a business trip so I'm just wondering if they've notified anyone of acceptance to the program yet and if so if there is anything time sensitive in the acceptance package.

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Sat May 15, 2010 4:54 pm

Anyone get off the UM waitlist since May 2010 yet?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Sat May 15, 2010 9:32 pm

bomedtheLSAT101 wrote:Anyone get off the UM waitlist since May 2010 yet?

Movement wont happen again until after June 1st

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu May 20, 2010 11:11 am

Second deposit is coming up...another $500. Anyone else want to start up a law school with me, it's a cash cow!?!

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:21 am

is anyone who is going to Miami (or considering) paying full tuition? how do you feel about that? is it worth it?

i've had a horrible cycle...applying in March (dumbass) and i haven't been very successful. Still waiting to hear about the waitlist from Miami...but at this point I may have no other choice...unless I reapply for next cycle and maybe re-take the LSAT..(didn't study much for it the first time around...blah)

anyone have a ballpark idea of how much rent would cost around Miami law?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Fri May 21, 2010 9:47 am

dhg5004 wrote:is anyone who is going to Miami (or considering) paying full tuition? how do you feel about that? is it worth it?

i've had a horrible cycle...applying in March (dumbass) and i haven't been very successful. Still waiting to hear about the waitlist from Miami...but at this point I may have no other choice...unless I reapply for next cycle and maybe re-take the LSAT..(didn't study much for it the first time around...blah)

Around 1200 for one bedroom and around 1500-1600 for two bedroom.

I was extremely worried about paying full tuition at UM. 180k is just a lot of debt ITE.

On that note, I've gotten in off the waitlist of another school so I AM opening up another spot for someone on UM's WL. Good luck guys, I wish you all the best!!!!!!!

Dhg--> I hope your cycle starts looking up (though reapplying the first week the applications are out might serve you better in a new cycle)

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:00 am

trialjunky wrote:
dhg5004 wrote:is anyone who is going to Miami (or considering) paying full tuition? how do you feel about that? is it worth it?

I was extremely worried about paying full tuition at UM. 180k is just a lot of debt ITE.

On that note, I've gotten in off the waitlist of another school so I AM opening up another spot for someone on UM's WL. Good luck guys, I wish you all the best!!!!!!!

Dhg--> I hope your cycle starts looking up (though reapplying the first week the applications are out might serve you better in a new cycle)

I agree...i really don't want to re-take the LSAT. Seeing as how I simply do not have the time to dedicate toward studying for the October test. I work full time and my commute is shitty. I am thinking I could re-apply the first day apps are out and hope for a different outcome....I know a couple schools told me applying late was a major deterrent in their decision. :(

Where are you going trialjunky?

And 1200/mo for a 1 bedroom? omg.. i'd need to find a roommate :( and playing the waiting game is soooooo annoying.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Fri May 21, 2010 10:13 am

What are you stats, if you dont mind me asking?

I'm going to UF.

matchesmalone

Postby matchesmalone » Fri May 21, 2010 10:22 am

Man, trialjunky, you were so active on the boards that I thought I'd be seeing you next year at Miami. Congrats on UF.

momo_08

Postby momo_08 » Fri May 21, 2010 4:35 pm

So i just applied a little less than two weeks ago (i know SUPER late but Miami was a last minute decision) and found out today that i'm on an alternate list. Is that basically a waistlist?

I have an acceptance at U of Oregon and have already sent in my first deposit. A s much as i liked the school, the peoplea nd the programs when i visited, I have to admit i'm not too crazy about the state itself. I'm from So Cal and the thought of leaving behind sunshine for most of the year makes me sad. I know i shouldn't let something like sunshine influence my decision but I would prefer to work in Florida over Oregon after law school as well....

This is the only school that I'm waitlisted at (out of 6 or 7) that i would actually be interested in. So basically i have to hold my seat at oregon with another $200 non-refundable by June 1st and then see if i make it into Miami sometime before august...this should be interesting. Thoughts?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Fri May 21, 2010 4:40 pm

momo_08 wrote:Thoughts?

Oregon is going to be a lot better value, but if you are not happy practicing in Oregon or possibly other places in the Pacific NW, it is hard to tell you to go there.

I would just caution anyone from paying sticker at the U.

momo_08

Postby momo_08 » Fri May 21, 2010 5:03 pm

deadpanic wrote:
momo_08 wrote:Thoughts?

Oregon is going to be a lot better value, but if you are not happy practicing in Oregon or possibly other places in the Pacific NW, it is hard to tell you to go there.

I would just caution anyone from paying sticker at the U.

Yea I know but i would be doing both at sticker. I do realize that Miami would be around 40-60K more than Oregon for tuition + living expenses but I'm thinking in the end I might be happier there. I honestly don't know. I guess I can wait and see if the waitlist even moves!

nitchslapped

Postby nitchslapped » Mon May 24, 2010 9:23 am

This is the first time I have posted at this forum, though I have been following this thread for about a month or so, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I was accepted off of the UM waitlist last Thursday afternoon. I noticed that my status changed from "View Admissions Decision Letter" to "View Admissions Documents Needed" and called and confirmed the good news.

The official acceptance letter was there when I logged in this morning. Funny thing though, where it explains that I needed to send in a seat deposit, it gives a due date of July 04, 1776. No joke.

So for those of you still waiting, good luck and know that you could be pulled off at any time.

matchesmalone

Postby matchesmalone » Mon May 24, 2010 9:28 am

nitchslapped wrote:This is the first time I have posted at this forum, though I have been following this thread for about a month or so, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I was accepted off of the UM waitlist last Thursday afternoon. I noticed that my status changed from "View Admissions Decision Letter" to "View Admissions Documents Needed" and called and confirmed the good news.

The official acceptance letter was there when I logged in this morning. Funny thing though, where it explains that I needed to send in a seat deposit, it gives a due date of July 04, 1776. No joke.

So for those of you still waiting, good luck and know that you could be pulled off at any time.

Haha, get used to Miami and their lack of attention to detail :). Congrats on the acceptance. Will you be attending or still deciding?

nitchslapped

Postby nitchslapped » Mon May 24, 2010 9:41 am

matchesmalone wrote:
nitchslapped wrote:This is the first time I have posted at this forum, though I have been following this thread for about a month or so, but I just wanted to let you guys know that I was accepted off of the UM waitlist last Thursday afternoon. I noticed that my status changed from "View Admissions Decision Letter" to "View Admissions Documents Needed" and called and confirmed the good news.

Haha, get used to Miami and their lack of attention to detail :). Congrats on the acceptance. Will you be attending or still deciding?

I will definitely be attending. I only applied to 2 schools, Vanderbilt and UM, and I did not get into Vandy, so Miami it is.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 24, 2010 9:45 am

nitchslapped wrote:
matchesmalone wrote:

I will definitely be attending. I only applied to 2 schools, Vanderbilt and UM, and I did not get into Vandy, so Miami it is.

Congratulations :!:

minesh23

Postby minesh23 » Mon May 24, 2010 9:47 am

Do you mind posting your stats?

Thanks!

nitchslapped

Postby nitchslapped » Mon May 24, 2010 10:07 am

minesh23 wrote:

Do you mind posting your stats?

Thanks!

No problem.

LSAT 164
GPA 3.5
non URM

bstrunk

Postby bstrunk » Mon May 24, 2010 10:26 am

Congrats! Glad to see movement from the Waitlist into the admit category.

caneman13

Postby caneman13 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:42 am

dhg5004 wrote:
trialjunky wrote:

I agree...i really don't want to re-take the LSAT. Seeing as how I simply do not have the time to dedicate toward studying for the October test. I work full time and my commute is shitty. I am thinking I could re-apply the first day apps are out and hope for a different outcome....I know a couple schools told me applying late was a major deterrent in their decision. :(

Where are you going trialjunky?

And 1200/mo for a 1 bedroom? omg.. i'd need to find a roommate :( and playing the waiting game is soooooo annoying.

I just graduated UM as an undergrad, and there are a lot of places where you can get a better deal than 1200 a month for a single. Just have to find the right places. Some apartments down Ludlum are relatively cheaper, and if you can find a roommate, there are houses by campus that could have you paying 600 a month per person for a decent house.

momo_08

Postby momo_08 » Mon May 24, 2010 12:53 pm

nitchslapped wrote:
matchesmalone wrote:

Congrats! Did they email you that you should check your account or did you just happen to check it?

nitchslapped

Postby nitchslapped » Mon May 24, 2010 1:33 pm

momo_08 wrote:
nitchslapped wrote:
matchesmalone wrote:

Congrats! Did they email you that you should check your account or did you just happen to check it?

I just happened to check it (which I had been doing about twice a day since being waitlisted) when I noticed the status change. I then called to confirm. That was last Thursday, but the acceptance letter didn't show up in MyUM until this morning. I haven't received any email communication from them so far (which seems to be par for the course with UM).

ManUdevil

Postby ManUdevil » Mon May 24, 2010 5:56 pm

nitchslapped wrote:
No problem.

LSAT 164
GPA 3.5
non URM

How were you waitlisted? I have lower numbers than you (LSAT quite a bit lower) and was accepted outright. Just curious...Congrats on getting in!

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 24, 2010 6:10 pm

ManUdevil wrote:
nitchslapped wrote:
No problem.

LSAT 164
GPA 3.5
non URM

How were you waitlisted? I have lower numbers than you (LSAT quite a bit lower) and was accepted outright. Just curious...Congrats on getting in!

I'm thinking late application maybe???

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”