In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
momo_08

Re: In at UMiami

Postby momo_08 » Tue May 11, 2010 3:21 am

anyone know why their deadline for apps is in July if they already have their class pretty much full AND a waitlist...it just seems like a really late deadline...

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue May 11, 2010 7:09 am

momo_08 wrote:anyone know why their deadline for apps is in July if they already have their class pretty much full AND a waitlist...it just seems like a really late deadline...

I'm pretty sure its solely that late to help with the yield .

Edit: Spelling error from hell
Last edited by trialjunky on Tue May 11, 2010 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChattTNdt

Postby ChattTNdt » Tue May 11, 2010 8:48 am

trialjunky wrote:
momo_08 wrote:anyone know why their deadline for apps is in July if they already have their class pretty much full AND a waitlist...it just seems like a really late deadline...

I'm pretty sure its solely that late to help with the [strike]yeild.[/strike] acceptance rate

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:26 am

well in @ pace yesterday. so should i go to nova or pace or wait for UM (waitlisted?)

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue May 11, 2010 9:54 am

bomedtheLSAT101 wrote:well in @ pace yesterday. so should i go to nova or pace or wait for UM (waitlisted?)

Submit money for Pace or Nova( where do you want to practice?) but ride out the WL, if you really want to go to UM that is.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Tue May 11, 2010 10:03 am

trialjunky wrote:
bomedtheLSAT101 wrote:well in @ pace yesterday. so should i go to nova or pace or wait for UM (waitlisted?)

Submit money for Pace or Nova( where do you want to practice?) but ride out the WL, if you really want to go to UM that is.

I disagree. I say retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle unless by Nova you mean Villanova, then go there.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue May 11, 2010 10:05 am

deadpanic wrote:
trialjunky wrote:

I disagree. I say retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle unless by Nova you mean Villanova, then go there.

That's always an option...if you're willing to retake and wait a year, it's prolly the best option.

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

so you guys dont think Pace will eventually get to tier 1? seems like they are pretty close.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue May 11, 2010 12:38 pm

bomedtheLSAT101 wrote:so you guys dont think Pace will eventually get to tier 1? seems like they are pretty close.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Pace is currently a Tier 4 school...how is it close?

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:23 pm

It's tier 3 next to Marquette, NYLS, Stetson, Howard, and Gonzaga etc.
--LinkRemoved--

Alwaysmile618

Postby Alwaysmile618 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Pace has been jumping up and down the T3 and T4 list, but has never been in the top 100. Also, It's not next to either Marquette, or Gonzaga, both schools that have been in the top 100 in recent years. Both T3 and T4 schools are unranked but listed alphabetically so you cannot say that it's close to being a top 100 school at all.

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Wed May 12, 2010 3:05 am

either way according to others tier three or four don't make a difference they are all crappy schools that nobody should go to. So apparently Marquette , gonzaga, w/e tier 3-4 NOT EVEN WORTH going to EVER unless u have full money and even then you should reconsider.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed May 12, 2010 1:12 pm

So I went to the umhousing.com website and filled out my info to talk to realtor and get info on an apartment that didnt cost me of...
or one of...

They never responded back to me EVER! Even when I called repeatedly. They saw my budget and said hell no (at least that's what I think happened.) Pissed!

Andreeai

Postby Andreeai » Wed May 12, 2010 3:28 pm

trialjunky wrote:So I went to the umhousing.com website and filled out my info to talk to realtor and get info on an apartment that didnt cost me of...
or one of...

They never responded back to me EVER! Even when I called repeatedly. They saw my budget and said hell no (at least that's what I think happened.) Pissed!

From what I saw so far, the Coral Gables, Brickell, Coconut Grove areas will cost you an arm and a leg. If you go to the least expensive areas, they tend to be not very safe.
If you get a place, about 20 mins drive from the school, in the am, the traffic is insane and the drive will take an h.
I am puzzled too about how am I going to handle the living situations in the fall. I am considering getting a place in south fort lauderdale-hollywood, and take the train. It would take the same amount of time to get to school and the rents are so much cheaper.

In the same time, the general consensus here is that 1L you need to live as close as possible to the school. Ufff, not sure what am I going to do

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed May 12, 2010 4:27 pm

Andreeai wrote:
From what I saw so far, the Coral Gables, Brickell, Coconut Grove areas will cost you an arm and a leg. If you go to the least expensive areas, they tend to be not very safe.
If you get a place, about 20 mins drive from the school, in the am, the traffic is insane and the drive will take an h.
I am puzzled too about how am I going to handle the living situations in the fall. I am considering getting a place in south fort lauderdale-hollywood, and take the train. It would take the same amount of time to get to school and the rents are so much cheaper.

In the same time, the general consensus here is that 1L you need to live as close as possible to the school. Ufff, not sure what am I going to do

I am having the same problem. I found a few apartments in my price range but they were too far away. I just cant reason in my head spending 1200 on an apartment a month when I DONT have ANY income coming in. Even the craigslist ads are expensive.

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Wed May 12, 2010 4:40 pm

I guess I come from a different perspective, because the prices in Miami are actually a break from what you can get in my area, Northern Virginia/D.C. I did have success with one of the real estate agents I contacted from the housing guide-- actually worked with her this past weekend. She was great, and very helpful. They are all swamped though with incoming students, but I'd be happy to give you their names if you PM me.

It seems to be that a lot, if not the majority, of places are privately owned, thus will be difficult to search online, and can be found more easily with the help of a real estate agent.

Andreeai

Postby Andreeai » Wed May 12, 2010 4:48 pm

trialjunky wrote:
Andreeai wrote:

I am having the same problem. I found a few apartments in my price range but they were too far away. I just cant reason in my head spending 1200 on an apartment a month when I DONT have ANY income coming in. Even the craigslist ads are expensive.

Exactly. I was looking at a roommate situation, and a decent place will end up being $ 800 - $900 with utilities. I just can't justify that with money I eventually need to pay back

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed May 12, 2010 4:57 pm

Andreeai wrote:
trialjunky wrote:
Andreeai wrote:

Exactly. I was looking at a roommate situation, and a decent place will end up being $ 800 - $900 with utilities. I just can't justify that with money I eventually need to pay back

I live in a one bedroom townhouse with an attached garage in a gated community near everything for $799 (granted I got it on a deal, it normally goes for $1000). In Miami, I'm going to pay an extra 100 or more to SHARE an apartment with someone that's 15 minutes away.

FML

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed May 12, 2010 4:58 pm

hatteras1 wrote:I guess I come from a different perspective, because the prices in Miami are actually a break from what you can get in my area, Northern Virginia/D.C. I did have success with one of the real estate agents I contacted from the housing guide-- actually worked with her this past weekend. She was great, and very helpful. They are all swamped though with incoming students, but I'd be happy to give you their names if you PM me.

It seems to be that a lot, if not the majority, of places are privately owned, thus will be difficult to search online, and can be found more easily with the help of a real estate agent.

Can I ask what your budget looks like?

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:05 pm

trialjunky wrote:
hatteras1 wrote:I guess I come from a different perspective, because the prices in Miami are actually a break from what you can get in my area, Northern Virginia/D.C. I did have success with one of the real estate agents I contacted from the housing guide-- actually worked with her this past weekend. She was great, and very helpful. They are all swamped though with incoming students, but I'd be happy to give you their names if you PM me.

Can I ask what your budget looks like?

My budget might be a little different, as I will be married when I move in, and my husband will be employed full time while I am in law school. Though, that being said, when I contacted the Realtors listed on the Housing Guide, I specified that I did not want to pay above $1300 for 2BR place, which I think is fairly reasonable, especially in a market like Miami/Coral Gables.

melyanair

Postby melyanair » Wed May 12, 2010 6:31 pm

Withdrew from Miami today. :( ... was one of my top choices, but full scholarship form FSU was hard to turn down, so...

I'llbe heading up to Tally instead.

Lived in SF for the last 8 years, have a 3/2 house I will be vacating to move up north - about 30 minus from UM ... bit of a commute, but it's quite nice, and for only $1200 you'll have the whole house to yourself - almost 1400 sq.ft. Nice neighbourhood with pool and clubhouse. Lots of green area for kids, right next to a nice park, and just a few minutes form Sawgrass mall. Small pets ok. Partially furnished - couch with pull out bed, loveseat, dining table and charis, study table and chair, futon ... etc. Price can be lower with a long term lease. PM me if you want more details.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed May 12, 2010 7:56 pm

melyanair wrote:Withdrew from Miami today. :( ... was one of my top choices, but full scholarship form FSU was hard to turn down, so...

I'llbe heading up to Tally instead.

Lived in SF for the last 8 years, have a 3/2 house I will be vacating to move up north - about 30 minus from UM ... bit of a commute, but it's quite nice, and for only $1200 you'll have the whole house to yourself - almost 1400 sq.ft. Nice neighbourhood with pool and clubhouse. Lots of green area for kids, right next to a nice park, and just a few minutes form Sawgrass mall. Small pets ok. Partially furnished - couch with pull out bed, loveseat, dining table and charis, study table and chair, futon ... etc. Price can be lower with a long term lease. PM me if you want more details.

ITT: We blatantly violate TLS rules and attempt to turn it into criagslist.

nightlight

Postby nightlight » Thu May 13, 2010 2:40 am

Andreeai wrote:I am considering getting a place in south fort lauderdale-hollywood, and take the train.

omg PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS TO YOURSELF!
The commutes around here are NOT an hour.
Get a roommate.
Hunt around among the smaller buildings in coconut grove. Use a realtor, check craig's list, drive around and looks for signs.
Check craig's list for the gables and kendall as well.
Lastly, accept the fact that you are moving to a big city and the COL is simply not going to be comparable to that of a college town.

Do not live in ft laudy/hollywood unless it's free. You'll have a pain in the ass, unpredictable commute. You'll be less motivated to go to your 8ams. You'll be less motivated to study at the library. You'll be far from all of your friends and law school nightlife. Life will suck.

My parents live in southwest broward. I could have lived with them or in my late grandmother's condo in hollywood. I bucked both of those ideas in the interest of living close to school and I don't regret it for a second.

lnc2109

Postby lnc2109 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:43 am

Hello Everyone!

I was accepted to U. Miami but I have decided not to go there, but I am not sure how to officially withdraw from the school. Most of the other law schools that I applied to sent a withdrawal letter in the acceptance package in case an applicant decided to withdraw, but I did not receive one from U. Miami. Is there a specific procedure to notify U. Miami that you are withdrawing your admission? Thanks.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu May 13, 2010 10:17 am

lnc2109 wrote:Hello Everyone!

I was accepted to U. Miami but I have decided not to go there, but I am not sure how to officially withdraw from the school. Most of the other law schools that I applied to sent a withdrawal letter in the acceptance package in case an applicant decided to withdraw, but I did not receive one from U. Miami. Is there a specific procedure to notify U. Miami that you are withdrawing your admission? Thanks.

Email Therese Lambert with a simple letter advising her of your withdrawal.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”