In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GTLAWSCHOOL

Re: In at UMiami

Postby GTLAWSCHOOL » Wed May 05, 2010 11:51 am

For those not held, it came and went a few weeks ago.

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:59 am

ha! looks like we waitlist ppl are sscrewed.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed May 05, 2010 12:11 pm

GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:For those not held, it came and went a few weeks ago.

Incorrect, the FIRST one has elapsed. The second deposit is June 1st

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:44 pm

so the sun has not set yet!

gano

Postby gano » Wed May 05, 2010 3:31 pm

why are there two deposits dates?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed May 05, 2010 3:40 pm

gano wrote:why are there two deposits dates?

To my knowledge, every school has 2 deposit dates. I assume --> One to get an idea and the second later one to see if theirs change now that WL have opened up at other schools.

bstrunk

Postby bstrunk » Wed May 05, 2010 4:15 pm

Also, on May 15th, LSAC publishes a list of where potential 1Ls have deposited to participating schools. So if you have double(or greater) deposited, schools will want to know where you officially headed.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Wed May 05, 2010 6:40 pm

bstrunk wrote:Also, on May 15th, LSAC publishes a list of where potential 1Ls have deposited to participating schools. So if you have double(or greater) deposited, schools will want to know where you officially headed.

is this true? doesn't sound correct.

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Wed May 05, 2010 6:48 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
bstrunk wrote:Also, on May 15th, LSAC publishes a list of where potential 1Ls have deposited to participating schools. So if you have double(or greater) deposited, schools will want to know where you officially headed.

I was just wondering the same thing.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Wed May 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Still being on hold despite the "before April 30" comment in their email is annoying...... I can't say it's confident building.........

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Wed May 05, 2010 7:01 pm

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Still being on hold despite the "before April 30" comment in their email is annoying...... I can't say it's confident building.........

Wow, your UM account didn't update that letter yet?

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Wed May 05, 2010 7:10 pm

hatteras1 wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:

it does not affect me, but that seems like a huge waste of resources for LSAC, as it is pointless. If a school wants a commitment it has to just ask for it or additional deposits.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu May 06, 2010 7:40 am

lawschoolgiant wrote:
hatteras1 wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:

it does not affect me, but that seems like a huge waste of resources for LSAC, as it is pointless. If a school wants a commitment it has to just ask for it or [strike]additional deposits[/strike].

bstrunk

Postby bstrunk » Thu May 06, 2010 8:14 am

lawschoolgiant wrote:

I got the date wrong. Should be June 15th.

LSAC Statement of Good Admission and Financial Aid Practices ( found here: --LinkRemoved-- )

Pages 4-5
Except under binding early decision plans, every accepted applicant should be free to accept a new offer from a law school even though a deposit has been paid to another school. To provide applicants with an uncoerced choice among
various law schools, no excessive nonrefundable deposit should be required solely to maintain a place in the class. Beginning on June 15 of each year, law schools that participate in the Commitment Overlap Service will be provided with information concerning all enrollment commitments to any law school made by those applicants who have indicated an intention to
enroll in that school’s entering class. A law school should clearly communicate its policies on multiple enrollment commitments upon admission.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Fri May 07, 2010 4:33 pm

JaLeCa wrote:
PoliticalJunkie wrote:Still being on hold despite the "before April 30" comment in their email is annoying...... I can't say it's confident building.........

Wow, your UM account didn't update that letter yet?

No still on hold - even confirmed via a call to Admissions.......

goflmarlins

Postby goflmarlins » Sun May 09, 2010 10:52 am

Just wondering how many people accepted UM as their second choice and are riding out the waitlist for their top choices? I spoke with admissions on the phone and they said there would not be ANY movement on the list til after June 1st and even then it would be minimal... They are not expecting to accept many off the list and in fact plan on rejecting many from the list after June 1 (which bothers me because they should have done that before moving people from hold to waitlist)

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Sun May 09, 2010 5:54 pm

goflmarlins wrote:Just wondering how many people accepted UM as their second choice and are riding out the waitlist for their top choices? I spoke with admissions on the phone and they said there would not be ANY movement on the list til after June 1st and even then it would be minimal... They are not expecting to accept many off the list and in fact plan on rejecting many from the list after June 1 (which bothers me because they should have done that before moving people from hold to waitlist)

me

elizaholt

Postby elizaholt » Mon May 10, 2010 12:01 am

trialjunky wrote:
goflmarlins wrote:Just wondering how many people accepted UM as their second choice and are riding out the waitlist for their top choices? I spoke with admissions on the phone and they said there would not be ANY movement on the list til after June 1st and even then it would be minimal... They are not expecting to accept many off the list and in fact plan on rejecting many from the list after June 1 (which bothers me because they should have done that before moving people from hold to waitlist)

me

Me too. I am withdrawing from UM before the 2nd deposit.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 10, 2010 5:55 am

elizaholt wrote:
trialjunky wrote:

me

Prolly never going to get off my WL so I'm pretty sure I'll end up at UMiami unless a miracle happens and Jesus comes down from the heavens and does a divine intervention...if not, I'm screwed w/no scholly from UMiami.

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Mon May 10, 2010 10:31 am

How many out there are staying on UM's waitlist as their 2nd WL choice?

Kind of a nice feeling to know that I still won't take it if I get off the WL at my first choice...

But still... WL sucks. Off to nyc for a fun week and some distractions.

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Mon May 10, 2010 1:49 pm

soo we waitlist ppl are pretty much screwed. =(

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 10, 2010 1:52 pm

bomedtheLSAT101 wrote:soo we waitlist ppl are pretty much screwed. =(

No, there is still some hope. People WILL get off the WL at 1st choice schools which will trickel down.

goflmarlins

Postby goflmarlins » Mon May 10, 2010 4:59 pm

Honestly, after talking with admissions I don't think many of us will get off the waitlist. Based on the discusssion I had, absolutely no spots would be given until after the June 1 deadline and after the second deposit they were not expecting many people at all to get off the list. I just don't have a good feeling about it at all. The lady made it seem as if it just wasn't going to happen for those of us on the list. In fact she made it seem as if you did get off of the list it would be last moment, like a couple of days before class started.

elizaholt

Postby elizaholt » Tue May 11, 2010 12:52 am

trialjunky wrote:
elizaholt wrote:
trialjunky wrote:

me

Prolly never going to get off my WL so I'm pretty sure I'll end up at UMiami unless a miracle happens and Jesus comes down from the heavens and does a divine intervention...if not, I'm screwed w/no scholly from UMiami.

I'm on the UF waitlist, and I've given up hope of getting in, but going to take a scholly at Stetson I think, although Miami is a better school.

Jetsetter

Postby Jetsetter » Tue May 11, 2010 2:37 am

trialjunky wrote:

me

+1
Deposits at Depaul and Miami. Waiting for to hear from 2 waitlists (my #1 choice is one of them). Miami is the forerunner out of my acceptances at the moment though I'm waivering a little bit.

Got my t-shirt in the mail today but I'm on a biz trip so I can't wear it yet :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”