In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
js87

Re: In at UMiami

Postby js87 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:17 pm

sarlis wrote:
how easy was it to get a deferral? I heard it can get pretty hard to let schools give you one.

If you send a nice email and explain your reasoning it may not be too hard. It depends on the school, of course.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:34 am

for those who went to U of Miami UG, what did you think of the campus, the surrounding area, bars, ect.?

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:01 pm

sarlis wrote:for those who went to U of Miami UG, what did you think of the campus, the surrounding area, bars, ect.?

I just graduated from the U for undergrad. Its a great campus and I can't say enough about my alma mater! The weather is almost always beautiful. Its fairly common for undergrads to tan on the IM fields (people say they're studying, but thats a crock). There's Hurricane football & great tailgates (we're sitting on a team that can only get better).

But the U is in south Miami, not a collegetown, so your social life has way more than just football and frat parties. There are nearby bars (Titanic, Sunset Tavern, The Grove), but walking to anything but Titanic isn't practical because US1 on foot is kinda dangerous, especially at night. Miami is NOT a bike/pedestrian-friendly city. You'll want a car because the public transportation there sucks.

The surrounding area is pretty safe. Campus is situated in Coral Gables, which is a nice neighborhood - its not Overtown by any means. I used to go running at night, but I don't know how smart that was. I've heard of a few purse snatchings on Ponce, which is right outside of campus. So you do have to be aware at night.

Overall, its a lovely place. But if you want minor distractions with a quiet life, I'd say look elsewhere.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:07 pm

beesknees wrote:
sarlis wrote:for those who went to U of Miami UG, what did you think of the campus, the surrounding area, bars, ect.?

I just graduated from the U for undergrad. Its a great campus and I can't say enough about my alma mater! The weather is almost always beautiful. Its fairly common for undergrads to tan on the IM fields (people say they're studying, but thats a crock). There's Hurricane football & great tailgates (we're sitting on a team that can only get better).

But the U is in south Miami, not a collegetown, so your social life has way more than just football and frat parties. There are nearby bars (Titanic, Sunset Tavern, The Grove), but walking to anything but Titanic isn't practical because US1 on foot is kinda dangerous, especially at night. Miami is NOT a bike/pedestrian-friendly city. You'll want a car because the public transportation there sucks.

The surrounding area is pretty safe. Campus is situated in Coral Gables, which is a nice neighborhood - its not Overtown by any means. I used to go running at night, but I don't know how smart that was. I've heard of a few purse snatchings on Ponce, which is right outside of campus. So you do have to be aware at night.

Overall, its a lovely place. But if you want minor distractions with a quiet life, I'd say look elsewhere.

dangerous because of traffic or sketchy people?

Did you spend much time away from campus, hanging out in coral gables or the surrounding cities? Did you go to Miami alot?

js87

Postby js87 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:34 pm

I won't mince words; I don't like Miami. I'll reiterate that the school itself is the best option outside of the Top 14 for someone who wants to practice in South Florida.

But, in reference to your question about the campus and surrounding areas, Miami is likely very different than anywhere you've lived, unless you're from South Florida. It is a congested 'city' but it is not distinctly urban. It is not a real city in the same vain as New York, Chicago, Boston, or DC. You'll need a car.

UM is in Coral Gables/South Miami, basically a suburb of Miami. Coral Gables is wealthy, South Miami is sketchy. Crime is high in Miami in general. In most of Miami, Spanish is the predominant language. If you don't speak Spanish conversationally, you may feel like an outsider in much of Miami (the surrounding area, not the school). I had a hard time asking for directions at gas stations, getting help in grocery stores, etc.

The campus itself is green and lush. The architecture is nothing to write home about. Most buildings were built during the height of the modernist movement. Hence, they're ugly concrete blocks. Personally, I don't like living in a tropical rain forest nor do I like ugly concrete globs, so the campus doesn't do much for me. Other people will disagree with me. I guess I'm weird, but I'd rather have a campus with neo-gothic buildings, ivy, and oak trees.

I hate the weather. There are no seasons. It's maddening. Most of the year is 80+ degrees and oppressively humid. The heat index is routinely 100+ in the summer. You may love that; other people, my girlfriend included, do. I hate the heat though. If you wear a suit to work, be prepared to sweat simply walking from your car to your office. This is really a personal thing of mine, most people down here love feeling like human baked potatoes. I just want to enjoy a nice cool fall with foliage :(

You asked about bars and nightlife. Miami does shine in that area. Most students go to Coconut Grove, which is a 10 minute drive from campus. Tons of bars and restaurants. South Beach is a 15-20 minute drive. Drinks are around $10 on South Beach, cheaper elsewhere.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:49 pm

js87 wrote:

I won't mince words; I don't like Miami. I'll reiterate that the school itself is the best option outside of the Top 14 for someone who wants to practice in South Florida.

But, in reference to your question about the campus and surrounding areas, Miami is likely very different than anywhere you've lived, unless you're from South Florida. It is a congested 'city' but it is not distinctly urban. It is not a real city in the same vain as New York, Chicago, Boston, or DC. You'll need a car.

UM is in Coral Gables/South Miami, basically a suburb of Miami. Coral Gables is wealthy, South Miami is sketchy. Crime is high in Miami in general. In most of Miami, Spanish is the predominant language. If you don't speak Spanish conversationally, you may feel like an outsider in much of Miami (the surrounding area, not the school). I had a hard time asking for directions at gas stations, getting help in grocery stores, etc.

The campus itself is green and lush. The architecture is nothing to write home about. Most buildings were built during the height of the modernist movement. Hence, they're ugly concrete blocks. Personally, I don't like living in a tropical rain forest nor do I like ugly concrete globs, so the campus doesn't do much for me. Other people will disagree with me. I guess I'm weird, but I'd rather have a campus with neo-gothic buildings, ivy, and oak trees.

I hate the weather. There are no seasons. It's maddening. Most of the year is 80+ degrees and oppressively humid. The heat index is routinely 100+ in the summer. You may love that; other people, my girlfriend included, do. I hate the heat though. If you wear a suit to work, be prepared to sweat simply walking from your car to your office. This is really a personal thing of mine, most people down here love feeling like human baked potatoes. I just want to enjoy a nice cool fall with foliage :(

You asked about bars and nightlife. Miami does shine in that area. Most students go to Coconut Grove, which is a 10 minute drive from campus. Tons of bars and restaurants. South Beach is a 15-20 minute drive. Drinks are around $10 on South Beach, cheaper elsewhere.

how much spanish would I have to know ( i don;t know any spanish) to live there, say, in coral gables/miami? that seems like a huge thing if someone is to practice law in miami/ south flordia. i agree with the buildings issue. I have not seen the U of Miami campus, and have not visited yet, since I am from Ohio. Are the buildings pretty uniform around campus, like are they all concrete blocks?

Kojack

Postby Kojack » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:57 pm

I agree with the previous posters remarks about the area. A car is essential in Miami due to how spread out the city is. With the exception of downtown Miami, which is not very big at all, Miami does not have a big city feel to it.

As a Miami native, I consider many of the problems that others encounter just part of being home. While the heat is tough, it does have its benefits. Its practically always great beach weather. Seeing students walk into class with their swim suits, ready to hit the beach on a Wednesday is not rare. I suppose how you deal with the heat is up to personal preference.

Although I fluently speak Spanish, I can imagine that it would be difficult for someone who does not. In some areas you do feel like you are in another country. My understanding from my classmates who do not speak Spanish is that it is mostly an annoyance and an inconvenience.

JS87 described the campus well. Although the buildings themselves are nothing to write home about, the atmosphere did grow on me. Campus life in general is pretty laid back.

The nightlife in Miami is awesome. The Grove, which is an area filled with bars and clubs, is only a few minutes from campus. There is also of course South Beach. Miami is a city with many distractions.

UM also has the added bonus of a pretty good football team. Going to the Canes games is a lot of fun.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:08 pm

thats good to hear that you don't need to be fluent in spanish to go to U of Miami, lol. it sounds like the bar scene is amazing, and that there are plenty of things to do outside of the school. I am looking forward to visiting the campus for sure!

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:22 pm

US1 is dangerous because of the cars.

But just like any other urban area, you will have to be smart about walking around at night. I used to work for the UM police, so I got a good idea of the crime rate on campus and its not much (they actually do a great job at keeping people off campus that shouldn't be there). I can't speak though for the areas as you stray from campus. I know Calle Ocho has a lot of problems with theft and robbery. But I lived at UM 4 years and went there 3 times, so you just have to be smart and avoid areas of crime. Also the area near the Grove is sketchy in terms of crime too. But that's just how Miami is... you could be in a really nice neighborhood and then drive three blocks and be in a rough neighborhood. You just learn where they are and to avoid parking your car near one!

And I agree that Miami is not like any other major city. The public transportation sucks and there's no real downtown area (there is, but you never go there). You drive everywhere.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:29 pm

beesknees wrote: The public transportation sucks and there's no real downtown area (there is, but you never go there).

do you mind explaining why for both the public transportation and why no one goes downtown? I'm really interested in the school and want as much info as possible!

miami..

Postby miami.. » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:39 pm

Graduated from miami ug as well. main reason people don't go downtown too often is there arent a lot of things to do in a concentrated area so you have to be able to get around, i actually enjoyed the downtown area alot. the metro rail is the main form of public transportation to get to downtown. bayside is a nice little area near downtown on the water and there are a couple small clubs (white room, vagabonds), but southbeach is where it is. theres an area between downtown and the campus called brickell which is actually really nice with some great restaurants and dance clubs.

i never found the public transportation too much of an issue, although i did have a car... as for the campus....the highlight is definitely the rat which is the on campus bar right next to the lake. they have slider tables and happy hour there is always, personally i found nothing to be more enjoyable then to be hanging out there with friends on a thursday afternoon with five dollar pitchers. law students actually get free pitchers which is a definite plus haha. closer to campus theres a road called miracle mile which has a lot of nice restaurants and places to hang out, i recommend the bierhaus with das boot! I also dont speak spanish fluently and never had too many issues in four years.

I've heard from people attending the law school that it is very competitive due to the class size and the number of available jobs in the area, but i figure thats an issue in a lot of places.

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:13 pm

Sarlis: I think the public transit sucks because there's really only the metro rail which is literally one line that runs straight down US1. If where you need to go happens to be on that line then it's not bad. However it's not like in NYC or Boston or Chicago that have several lines running all over the city. There are buses but I don't know anyone who actually uses it. Even getting to Miami airport is a pain because the Metro doesn't go there (thanks to taxi company lobbying) so you either get picked up or suck up the cab fee. Going to South Beach is also a pain without a car because it takes almost an hour by metro and a few bus transfers. Don't get me wrong, you can live without a car but it's highly inconvenient. It's nothing like NYC or Chicago.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:29 pm

thanks for the great detailed responses about the pros/con of Miami!!

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:14 am

FYI
I called and spoke with admissions at Umiami, they said no email will be sent regarding a completed status. Additionally, after receiving an email confirmation that the electronic app was received, a decision will be granted 2-3 weeks later. Also, one can call admissions and obtain the decision if information regarding a decision is on file. 2-3 weeks for a decision and a week of snail mail places decision letters arriving 3-4 weeks after receiving the initial email confirmation of the electronic app.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:59 pm

ram jam wrote:FYI
I called and spoke with admissions at Umiami, they said no email will be sent regarding a completed status. Additionally, after receiving an email confirmation that the electronic app was received, a decision will be granted 2-3 weeks later. Also, one can call admissions and obtain the decision if information regarding a decision is on file. 2-3 weeks for a decision and a week of snail mail places decision letters arriving 3-4 weeks after receiving the initial email confirmation of the electronic app.

i didn;t call them, but this mirrors my situation with UMiami exactly. They were very quick with the decision. they only sent regular mail, i didn't get an email acceptance or a call. But it doesn;t matter, since an acceptance is an acceptance!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:00 pm

I graduated from Miami back in '05 and went back recently for the OU game (not applying to LS there, though... going back confirmed that). A few little things: you NEED a car, the Grove is the best place to go out (Sandbar! Friday Happy Hours at Monty's!) because it's nowhere near as far or expensive as South Beach, and I survived without speaking a word of Spanish. It's a fun place and I had a great time during my 4 years and there are a variety of reasons I don't want to go back which shouldn't discourage anyone here.

Oh, I also used to get lunch at the Subway in the LS. The courtyard there is really pretty, though the building isn't super new or anything.

Nikiya

Postby Nikiya » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:03 pm

Today I got a big packet in the mail from Miami, and I was sooo excited thinking that it was my acceptance. As it turns out, it was just a viewbook with a letter saying I received a fee waiver. :(

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:27 pm

Nikiya wrote:Today I got a big packet in the mail from Miami, and I was sooo excited thinking that it was my acceptance. As it turns out, it was just a viewbook with a letter saying I received a fee waiver. :(

that is a bummer! but stay positive, UMiami has a very quick turn around compared to other schools. what are your number if you don't mind?

Nikiya

Postby Nikiya » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:45 pm

sarlis wrote:
Nikiya wrote:Today I got a big packet in the mail from Miami, and I was sooo excited thinking that it was my acceptance. As it turns out, it was just a viewbook with a letter saying I received a fee waiver. :(

that is a bummer! but stay positive, UMiami has a very quick turn around compared to other schools. what are your number if you don't mind?

164/3.73

I applied 11/11 so I guess I should give them some time!

SpencerPratt

Postby SpencerPratt » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:41 pm

Received the big packet with the viewbook two weeks ago...not good timing

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:48 pm

Same here, except it was the second time they sent it to me. I thought "They already sent me the viewbook, so surely this is a decision." Fail.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Seems Miami is layin' low... Any news?

Kojack

Postby Kojack » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:36 pm

I got a letter in the mail today. I was very excited because I thought it might be scholarship info.

It turned out to be an invitation to Law Day in march. :(

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:40 pm

Kojack wrote:I got a letter in the mail today. I was very excited because I thought it might be scholarship info.

when are they going to send out the scholly info?

jtgain

Postby jtgain » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:20 pm

Kojack wrote:I got a letter in the mail today. I was very excited because I thought it might be scholarship info.

I did exactly the same thing. I dropped the rest of the mail, ripped that sucker open and saw the flyer for fucking Law Day. :) Disappointed me.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”