In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sw10

Re: In at UMiami

Postby sw10 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:54 pm

Yeah, where did you hear that? They told us at ASW they are taking 375 for the incoming 1L class

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:56 pm

What are you guys doing in terms of living arrangements? I have yet to visit the school (I'm from philadelphia area) but I plan on doing so over Memorial Day weekend cuz my fam and I will be at our shore house in Sarasota...so I figure i'll just drive there and check it out.

Are there any areas that are of particular interest to Miami law students? I find this part of the law school applying process the most annoying/difficult. If I called the law school would they be at all helpful?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 03, 2010 2:03 pm

dhg5004 wrote:What are you guys doing in terms of living arrangements? I have yet to visit the school (I'm from philadelphia area) but I plan on doing so over Memorial Day weekend cuz my fam and I will be at our shore house in Sarasota...so I figure i'll just drive there and check it out.

Are there any areas that are of particular interest to Miami law students? I find this part of the law school applying process the most annoying/difficult. If I called the law school would they be at all helpful?

Yeah, you may want to hit up the Miami ASW forum which had a few recommendations from areas/apartments that people were looking at.

BTW...goodluck with that 4 hour drive.

sw10

Postby sw10 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:05 pm

dhg5004 wrote:What are you guys doing in terms of living arrangements? I have yet to visit the school (I'm from philadelphia area) but I plan on doing so over Memorial Day weekend cuz my fam and I will be at our shore house in Sarasota...so I figure i'll just drive there and check it out.

If you call them they'll probably just tell you to check out their housing guide. Have you looked at it yet? Coral Gables is a really nice area and really safe. Coconut Grove is another popular area but they have mostly houses/townhouses as opposed to apartment complexes and you have to be careful where you look there because it borders a bad neighborhood. Brickell is also popular but I think most people live there 2nd and 3rd year, since it's kind of a commute.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:13 pm

trialjunky wrote:

Yeah, you may want to hit up the Miami ASW forum which had a few recommendations from areas/apartments that people were looking at.

BTW...goodluck with that 4 hour drive.

Thanks - and it's a little over 3. I've done it before.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm from Miami and will actually be going to Philly next year so kind of the opposite of you. Anyways, if it were me I would be looking at places around coral gables/south Miami near the school. I know a lot of undergrads live in Merrick Park, It's a really high end mall with some apartments and is right by school. The traffic in Miami is annoying as hell so I I would do gables > grove > brickell > South beach.

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:26 pm

mrm2083 wrote:

I'm from Miami and will actually be going to Philly next year so kind of the opposite of you. Anyways, if it were me I would be looking at places around coral gables/south Miami near the school. I know a lot of undergrads live in Merrick Park, It's a really high end mall with some apartments and is right by school. The traffic in Miami is annoying as hell so I I would do gables > grove > brickell > South beach.

Can you elaborate by chance on the annoying as hell traffic? I am coming from the DC/VA area, where the commute in and out of DC down to Virgina takes about 2 1/2 hours to go 30 miles on normal days, both morning and evening -- with Friday afternoons normally taking about 3 hours.

If you work in Miami, but you live in Coral Gables, will it take you hours to get to work and get home every day? Just wondering, thanks in advance! :)

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:41 pm

mrm2083 wrote:

thanks for your help! if you need advice on where to live in phila i'd be very helpful. have lived here my whole life. which school are you going to?

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:01 am

regarding the 450 and under 100 on waitlist. I called them and asked the recruiting person. I dont have anymore specific numbers. if we can get 50 people to say they withdrew or going to withdrew then waitlist ppl has a shot =/

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue May 04, 2010 10:05 am

bomedtheLSAT101 wrote:regarding the 450 and under 100 on waitlist. I called them and asked the recruiting person. I dont have anymore specific numbers. if we can get 50 people to say they withdrew or going to withdrew then waitlist ppl has a shot =/

If your intention was to get people to withdraw, perhaps, you shouldn't have posted the above. Also, getting 50 people to withdraw seems a little unrealistic...js.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue May 04, 2010 11:55 am

Bad news alert: My friend just called UMiami and was asking about scholarships and access to financial aid (I eavesdropped -with permission, of course). Here are some interesting things she just told me!

Scholarships --> Not happening. They gave out more money than they actually have because they know that not everyone will accept. Also, they've paid out a lot of $$ to those who opted to defer last year when they enrolled too many people.

Financial aid --> You will not be able to access ANY of the money until [strike]orientation[/strike]the first day of classes which is the 18th of August. I mean you wont see a dime until then - not a dime! So, you need to come to UMiami with the money to pay your security deposit, 1st month rent and to live off of for a month (or atleast a week if you're planning to come the week of orientation).

I am officially stressed :shock: :| .

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:45 pm

i'm not trying to get ppl to withdraw for no reason, i'm just letting people know that if you are for sure NOT INTERESTED AT ALL in going to UMiami, withdrawing would be appreciated.

matchesmalone

Postby matchesmalone » Tue May 04, 2010 6:44 pm

A few friends of mine just got waitlisted today. Are they adding to the list?

LoveSaltLife

Postby LoveSaltLife » Tue May 04, 2010 6:53 pm

withdrew today, hope one of ya'll get my spot!

gano

Postby gano » Tue May 04, 2010 7:09 pm

Do we have any information on the waitlist?

ranked?

x3jessica3x

Postby x3jessica3x » Tue May 04, 2010 10:21 pm

yeah I just got waitlisted today as well and don't know much about it. I know this group is called in at UMiami but since the topic was brought up I figured why not reply. If it's not ranked would that mean everyone gets equal chance at getting in/is it based on when you applied? I mean they have to rank it somehow..

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Tue May 04, 2010 10:23 pm

It seems like there would be a lot more than 100 people on the waitlist

x3jessica3x

Postby x3jessica3x » Tue May 04, 2010 10:34 pm

also the application deadline is so late in itself. I have a feeling riding the waitlist could really take a long time..even past seat deposit date..especially for those of use whose applications/stats may not be as strong as others on the waitlist. I live in Miami so I wouldn't have to move or anything..just gota get in..

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Tue May 04, 2010 10:39 pm

x3jessica3x wrote:also the application deadline is so late in itself. I have a feeling riding the waitlist could really take a long time..even past seat deposit date..especially for those of use whose applications/stats may not be as strong as others on the waitlist. I live in Miami so I wouldn't have to move or anything..just gota get in..

Are you going to send in a LOCI? I was thinking about it....I got into St. Thomas down there, and they gave me 14k, but not really feeling it

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Tue May 04, 2010 10:49 pm

x3jessica3x wrote:also the application deadline is so late in itself. I have a feeling riding the waitlist could really take a long time..even past seat deposit date..especially for those of use whose applications/stats may not be as strong as others on the waitlist. I live in Miami so I wouldn't have to move or anything..just gota get in..

I think the late due date on the application process is to protect the yield for US News unless the person just has amazing stats.

x3jessica3x

Postby x3jessica3x » Tue May 04, 2010 11:04 pm

Yeah I also got into St Thomas with 16k tho but am feeling the same. I know UM will not give me anything if I get in there and I am also still waiting with no word at all from FIU down here. I am thinking about a LOCI now and sending in updated transcripts because I raised my GPA spring semester. Do I just send all this stuff directly to the school or through LSAC? I think with updated transcripts it's thru LSAC but it doesn't seem like i'd be able to add anything to apps. Obviously lol

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Tue May 04, 2010 11:13 pm

Last edited by JaLeCa on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gano

Postby gano » Wed May 05, 2010 10:19 am

according to a lady that works at UM's admission office, the wait list is NOT ranked. :D

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Wed May 05, 2010 10:42 am

I have a hard time believing this. All law schools say they dont but I think it's just to say they dont have to tell anyone their at the bottom. They're not going to reread every file when a spot opens up. I think they break it down in sections and then pull from whatever section their short in by an ordered list...that's atleast what I think.

bomedtheLSAT101

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:43 am

When is the final deposit due for Umiami law?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”