In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
dhg5004
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby dhg5004 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:34 am

I already sent an LOCI though. I sent an addendum informing them about a new job I received at the start of February. And then I sent a formal LOCI. I wanted to send an LOR from my current employer though. Would sending another LOCI be my third?

I'm leaning toward sending this LOR. It's a good one too.

User avatar
actorlaw
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby actorlaw » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:54 am

Gonna ride the waitlist.

Any others?

Does anyone know a time frame for when we might hear or any other details?

Miami's waitlist seems more cryptic than UNC's...

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby trialjunky » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:55 am

dhg5004 wrote:I already sent an LOCI though. I sent an addendum informing them about a new job I received at the start of February. And then I sent a formal LOCI. I wanted to send an LOR from my current employer though. Would sending another LOCI be my third?

I'm leaning toward sending this LOR. It's a good one too.



3. Letters of Recommendation. These are generally not as useful and won't make much of a difference in whether you are admitted off the wait list. I say this because usually the stream of LORs we get from wait list people tend to come from employers, high-ranking politicians, and other people who are probably very nice individuals but who do not carry a whole lot of weight in our admissions process. As I've mentioned before, the type of recommendations that we really pay attention to are academic references. To that end, if there is a professor whom you've blown away with your brilliance in the last couple of months (like s/he supervised a senior thesis that just won a departmental award, for instance), by all means have him or her write to us. But please do not clutter your file with a high volume of low-impact pieces of paper. Remember, what you choose to add to your file is a reflection of your judgment, and we do not want to admit people with poor judgment.


From Yale's admission blog site -->http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/archive/2009/04/27/bad-idea-jeans-don-t-be-a-waitlist-stalker.aspx

I would probably only send it if it is
a. truly exceptional
b. really adds something that your other LORs didnt
c. from someone you've known for more than a year

If it doesn't meet all those criteria, I would attempt to find an academic source to get an LOR from. If you could find some one from academia to really give you a good rec. you could throw this additional one behind it in a package but other then that prolly not the best idea.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby trialjunky » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:55 am

actorlaw wrote:Gonna ride the waitlist.

Any others?

Does anyone know a time frame for when we might hear or any other details?

Miami's waitlist seems more cryptic than UNC's...



After the 2nd deposit in June

User avatar
dhg5004
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby dhg5004 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:02 am

Thanks - but I already have an excellent LOR from a professor from my business school during undergrad. I have a second one but it's not *that* great. So I don't want to send that.

User avatar
actorlaw
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby actorlaw » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:05 am

Early June?
Mid June?
Late June?

How long is this summer going to be...?

Riding the UNC waitlist until late July... would still be nice to get a definite answer from the U before that.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby trialjunky » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:09 am

actorlaw wrote:Early June?
Mid June?
Late June?

How long is this summer going to be...?

Riding the UNC waitlist until late July... would still be nice to get a definite answer from the U before that.


June 1st I believe

PoliticalJunkie
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:32 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:38 pm

Anyone else still waiting on getting out of the hold or is it just me?

mbigg4137
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:21 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby mbigg4137 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:45 pm

I'm still waiting to get out of "hold" status also.

"your application will be reconsidered prior to April 30th."

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby dp73816 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:59 pm

Wait Listed...no way in hell I'm even replying-obviously not going to wait it out...good luck to all

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby JaLeCa » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:09 pm

.
Last edited by JaLeCa on Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bomedtheLSAT101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:46 am

YES PLEASE WHOEVER ISNT ATTENDING BUT GOT ACCEPTED TO UMIAMI please opt out and withdraw!!!!!! THANKS IN ADVANCE! :mrgreen:

matchesmalone
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby matchesmalone » Sat May 01, 2010 8:46 am

For those of you who are committed to Miami, when will you look for an apartment and sign your lease? I was planning on late July, but maybe that is too late.

lawschool5523
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:10 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby lawschool5523 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:19 am

matchesmalone wrote:For those of you who are committed to Miami, when will you look for an apartment and sign your lease? I was planning on late July, but maybe that is too late.


I already went down and looked in April, but am going back down at the end of May. I want to have a good pick out of the apartments, and want to move in a month before. That way I can get to know the area.

matchesmalone
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby matchesmalone » Sat May 01, 2010 10:00 am

lawschool5523 wrote:
matchesmalone wrote:For those of you who are committed to Miami, when will you look for an apartment and sign your lease? I was planning on late July, but maybe that is too late.


I already went down and looked in April, but am going back down at the end of May. I want to have a good pick out of the apartments, and want to move in a month before. That way I can get to know the area.


What areas stood out to you? I didn't go to ASW in March, but I was thinking about the Brickell area, even though it seems a bit pricey.

lawschool5523
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:10 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby lawschool5523 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:15 am

matchesmalone wrote:
lawschool5523 wrote:
matchesmalone wrote:For those of you who are committed to Miami, when will you look for an apartment and sign your lease? I was planning on late July, but maybe that is too late.


I already went down and looked in April, but am going back down at the end of May. I want to have a good pick out of the apartments, and want to move in a month before. That way I can get to know the area.


What areas stood out to you? I didn't go to ASW in March, but I was thinking about the Brickell area, even though it seems a bit pricey.


I liked the Coral Gables area. It seemed the closest and safest. Some of the places I am looking at are The DaVinci, Gables Terrace, etc. They are pretty pricey ($1200/month for 1 bedroom), but seem to be the newest/most secured.

Brickell is nice, but was a little too far away for me. I think it is better to live there your 2L, or 3L.

User avatar
Franco Columbu
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Franco Columbu » Sat May 01, 2010 10:50 am

I'll be riding out the waitlist also, right till the end, even if its till July.

does anyone know if they number their waitlist applicants?

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby JaLeCa » Sat May 01, 2010 10:55 am

Franco Columbu wrote:I'll be riding out the waitlist also, right till the end, even if its till July.

does anyone know if they number their waitlist applicants?



If you ever figure it out, please let me know! I'm also applying early next cycle

User avatar
JaLeCa
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby JaLeCa » Sat May 01, 2010 11:00 am

Another question,

I was put on the waitlist, and yesterday I got this e-mail:

Dear applicant,
You have recently received an email alerting you of a status change in your University of Miami student account. You have been placed on the wait-list, but the correct message is not being displayed in myUM. This technical problem is being addressed and the correct message with details regarding your wait list status will be displayed by Saturday, May 1st.
Thank you for your understanding on this matter.

Did anyone else on the UM waitlist get this? What does it mean?

coventryglide
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:46 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby coventryglide » Sat May 01, 2010 11:41 am

Who is still waiting to hear about finaid? I called and they told me to be patient and that Ill hear about my award via email. How does finaid work exactly? I need to find an apartment soon, will I have finaid funds available in the coming weeks/months to sign a lease? I'm a knewb with this stuff, and live paycheck to paycheck, so Im a bit anxious about coordinating an apt search/move from MA.

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby trialjunky » Sat May 01, 2010 1:28 pm

coventryglide wrote:Who is still waiting to hear about finaid? I called and they told me to be patient and that Ill hear about my award via email. How does finaid work exactly? I need to find an apartment soon, will I have finaid funds available in the coming weeks/months to sign a lease? I'm a knewb with this stuff, and live paycheck to paycheck, so Im a bit anxious about coordinating an apt search/move from MA.



Financial aid doesn't kick in until the first day of class, unfortunately.

miss woods 2013
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:01 pm

Re: In at UMiami

Postby miss woods 2013 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:44 pm

JaLeCa wrote:Another question,

I was put on the waitlist, and yesterday I got this e-mail:

Dear applicant,
You have recently received an email alerting you of a status change in your University of Miami student account. You have been placed on the wait-list, but the correct message is not being displayed in myUM. This technical problem is being addressed and the correct message with details regarding your wait list status will be displayed by Saturday, May 1st.
Thank you for your understanding on this matter.

Did anyone else on the UM waitlist get this? What does it mean?


I was waitlisted as well and got this email. I think it just meant that there was some sort of glitch in the system and they didn't want us to get our hopes up :/

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 03, 2010 10:04 am

Role call: which Towers are on hold/wait that haven't withdrawn?

List your status (hold /waitlist), URM status and stats

bomedtheLSAT101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:38 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby bomedtheLSAT101 » Mon May 03, 2010 1:42 pm

OK --- UMIAMI is taking 450 students. So far waitlist is under 100 people

User avatar
trialjunky
Posts: 928
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:41 am

Re: In at UMiami

Postby trialjunky » Mon May 03, 2010 1:44 pm

bomedtheLSAT101 wrote:OK --- UMIAMI is taking 450 students. So far waitlist is under 100 people



Source? Do you know how many positions they have open still?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Automotomayor, AZnative, BobBoblaw, charmonster, Nickel94, nslaw123, pillowsoftcurls, potterotter, ReadyToStart, sonyco and 17 guests