In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
trialjunky

Re: In at UMiami

Postby trialjunky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:20 pm

Universal fact...so, let's not bitch about it.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:21 pm

repeatedly

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:22 pm

i think i will anyway

Guitarded

Postby Guitarded » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:25 pm

I'm not bitter about the wait list or rejection but the way UM handled the process. The school I will be attending and others I've applied to is sooo much more classy!

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:26 pm

Guitarded wrote:I'm not bitter about the wait list or rejection but the way UM handled the process. The school I will be attending and others I've applied to is sooo much more classy!

What school are you going to?

cay9887

Postby cay9887 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:28 pm

Guitarded wrote:I'm not bitter about the wait list or rejection but the way UM handled the process. The school I will be attending and others I've applied to is sooo much more classy!

I second this notion! I realize it isn't ranked as well overall, but I was very interested in University of the Pacific's International Law program and emailed the dean directly with a LOCI. He called me that same day and had a half hour conversation with me and admitted me over the phone. I also emailed Santa Clara's dean after not having heard for 6 months and she called me the next day and told me I was admitted. I can't imagine Miami doing anything like this. I think this is a very important part of the law school experience, for me at least. I am very excited for everyone who did get good news though!!

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:31 pm

I second this notion! I realize it isn't ranked as well overall, but I was very interested in University of the Pacific's International Law program and emailed the dean directly with a LOCI. He called me that same day and had a half hour conversation with me and admitted me over the phone. I also emailed Santa Clara's dean after not having heard for 6 months and she called me the next day and told me I was admitted. I can't imagine Miami doing anything like this. I think this is a very important part of the law school experience, for me at least. I am very excited for everyone who did get good news though!!

I like you. :)

cay9887

Postby cay9887 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:43 pm

dhg5004 wrote:

I like you. :)

Haha! Thanks! I sent you a PM, but what other schools are you considering besides Miami?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:44 pm

cay9887 wrote:

Those are interesting experiences to take into consideration. Personally, UM has treated me the best out of all the law schools I've applied to except maybe Hofstra.

Also, I think the Hold, Waitlist organization is pretty universal.

longroad

Postby longroad » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:56 pm

received the same email as everyone else about the waitlist from the hold category. im a little annoyed/bummed after waiting so long. but i guess i will ride it out with the other waitlists. this is just part of the game we all subscribed too. so although i agree with basically everything that has been said on this board, i will keep my mouth shut. if you are still interested in miami, i have a good feeling spots will open up after the deposit deadlines.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:58 pm

longroad wrote:received the same email as everyone else about the waitlist from the hold category. im a little annoyed/bummed after waiting so long. but i guess i will ride it out with the other waitlists. this is just part of the game we all subscribed too. so although i agree with basically everything that has been said on this board, i will keep my mouth shut. if you are still interested in miami, i have a good feeling spots will open up after the deposit deadlines.

Agreed, my friend got off the WL for Miami after the 2nd deposit a few years back. People who have committed to UM might still be on hold at their #1 school. It all trickles down. Plus, the WL starts to get smaller and smaller with ppl withdrawing. Good luck!

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:10 pm

trialjunky wrote:
longroad wrote:received the same email as everyone else about the waitlist from the hold category. im a little annoyed/bummed after waiting so long. but i guess i will ride it out with the other waitlists. this is just part of the game we all subscribed too. so although i agree with basically everything that has been said on this board, i will keep my mouth shut. if you are still interested in miami, i have a good feeling spots will open up after the deposit deadlines.

Agreed, my friend got off the WL for Miami after the 2nd deposit a few years back. People who have committed to UM might still be on hold at their #1 school. It all trickles down. Plus, the WL starts to get smaller and smaller with ppl withdrawing. Good luck!

I agree. I e-mailed and asked for an extension on my seat deposit last week since it did not give me enough time to visit the school, and they granted me one week saying that they need to firm up their committed students ASAP to get answers to those on the WL. I found that to be quite considerate to the WL people-- being on many other WL's myself, I appreciated it at least.

longroad

Postby longroad » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:19 pm

hatteras1 wrote:
trialjunky wrote:

I agree. I e-mailed and asked for an extension on my seat deposit last week since it did not give me enough time to visit the school, and they granted me one week saying that they need to firm up their committed students ASAP to get answers to those on the WL. I found that to be quite considerate to the WL people-- being on many other WL's myself, I appreciated it at least.

thats great to know. thank you for sharing this information. it basically tells me they waitlisted a lot of hold people so they would not "overbook" like they did last year. spots will open for those willing and waiting.

law333

Postby law333 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:20 pm

I am willing to wait it out :)

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:24 pm

So does this mean I should send an LOR or something? I already did a LOCI... I could get a new LOR from my current employer. Do they want to know I'm still interested after being waitlisted again? Or was my initial LOCI enough?

Anyone ?

wh3931110

Postby wh3931110 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:26 pm

just a general question about wait lists... but with Miami in mind...

I personally just do not see how it is feasable to wait into June/July on a wait list. For example I have to sign a lease for an apartment at the school I have deposited at and although I was granted permission to wait until June 1st to sign it (with a move in date of July 15th) that leaves me with only one month to ride this wait list out (which given how things have been going is not likely long enough for Miami). Is anyone else struggling with this problem? Is there a better way to go about this that I am just missing?

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:29 pm

for those of you staying on the waitlist, are you waitlisted at other schools as well?

i'm trying to decide whether to ride multiple waitlists or not...

this cycle has been all over the place for me. there is this small part of me that is considering a retake on the LSAT and applying again next cycle... i can't believe i am typing that. but i can't help but think even 3 or 4 points would have made a significant difference for me.

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:31 pm

dhg5004 wrote:So does this mean I should send an LOR or something? I already did a LOCI... I could get a new LOR from my current employer. Do they want to know I'm still interested after being waitlisted again? Or was my initial LOCI enough?

Anyone ?

This is completely just me, but I'd send another one. Why not? That lets them know that even with this status change, you're still interested. I'd send one. Maybe someone will debate me on this, but I can't see it hurting your chances.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:48 pm

This is completely just me, but I'd send another one. Why not? That lets them know that even with this status change, you're still interested. I'd send one. Maybe someone will debate me on this, but I can't see it hurting your chances.

Yeah...I appreciate your advice. I just don't want them to look down on it for any reason.

I don't even know if I'd end up going to Miami if admitted. But I figure I mind as well try...and see if my decision changes over the next few weeks/months.

I just find it hard to imagine myself getting up and moving from Philadelphia down to Miami (searching for an apt etc.) with the real hope of practicing in the NYC area.

But who knows? Maybe I'll love Miami? I still have to take a visit sometime next month if I decide to really consider it...

snakebones

Postby snakebones » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:11 pm

actorlaw wrote:for those of you staying on the waitlist, are you waitlisted at other schools as well?

i'm trying to decide whether to ride multiple waitlists or not...

this cycle has been all over the place for me. there is this small part of me that is considering a retake on the LSAT and applying again next cycle... i can't believe i am typing that. but i can't help but think even 3 or 4 points would have made a significant difference for me.

i'm waitlisted at 7 schools and am riding out 6 of them......i figure why not?.....but i really want to go to miami

TrackTony88

Postby TrackTony88 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:29 pm

dhg5004 wrote:There is nothing to debate. It's a matter of fact.

I don't have a racist bone in my body. (i'm gay, dating a black guy) But the truth is being a URM will get in to any school before a white person.

Well I was waitlisted and am Hispanic (Cuban) so I don't think your theory here holds up...but I guess Miami probably figured they do not need another Cuban around. haha

Whatever, this ends my cycle officially, I will settle happily at UIUC even if it is freezing here in the winter.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Well I was waitlisted and am Hispanic (Cuban) so I don't think your theory here holds up...but I guess Miami probably figured they do not need another Cuban around. haha

Whatever, this ends my cycle officially, I will settle happily at UIUC even if it is freezing here in the winter.

there are exceptions to any rule.

Kwijiboe

Postby Kwijiboe » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:35 pm

Cubans aren't URMs, are they?

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:45 am

dhg5004 wrote:So does this mean I should send an LOR or something? I already did a LOCI... I could get a new LOR from my current employer. Do they want to know I'm still interested after being waitlisted again? Or was my initial LOCI enough?

Anyone ?

You should send a LOCI instead of a LOR, unless you have a LOR from someone in academia.

wh3931110 wrote:just a general question about wait lists... but with Miami in mind...

I personally just do not see how it is feasable to wait into June/July on a wait list. For example I have to sign a lease for an apartment at the school I have deposited at and although I was granted permission to wait until June 1st to sign it (with a move in date of July 15th) that leaves me with only one month to ride this wait list out (which given how things have been going is not likely long enough for Miami). Is anyone else struggling with this problem? Is there a better way to go about this that I am just missing?

I am on a couple of waitlist/pending and it's one of those hard decisions you have to come to. When will I pull myself from the waitlist? Am I willing to break my lease if they call me last minute? I think it really depends on how much do you want to go to the school in question. Personally, I think getting in at UMiami either this cycle or last cycle really works in the admitted students favor. We've jumped from 82 to 60 in two years. Plus, when you look at the full data from USNews it's not unreasonable to think that it's going to jump again next ranking if it can get control of its selectivity. This cycle I think they've already started to crack down on that. So for me UMiami is pretty worth it but you're going to have to decide that.

Kwijiboe wrote:Cubans aren't URMs, are they?

They are but they don't get as big of a bump as say people of Mexican or Puerto Rican descent.

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:01 am

called this morning.

office sounded very noisy. I got put on hold for 5 minutes listening to some crazy jazz.

then she told me I was put on the waitlist.

crapola

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”