In at UMiami

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kwijiboe

Re: In at UMiami

Postby Kwijiboe » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:13 pm

Has anyone visited? (will dig through thread later)

How is the school? I need to plan a visit.. hope I can get the deposit deadline pushed back.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Kwijiboe wrote:Has anyone visited? (will dig through thread later)

How is the school? I need to plan a visit.. hope I can get the deposit deadline pushed back.

You may want to read up from the posts from Miami's ASW --> viewtopic.php?f=8&t=107656&start=125

goflmarlins

Postby goflmarlins » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:33 pm

not to be a debbie downer.... but those of on hold and still haven't heard anything yet, I feel like if we don't hear anything today that is it. I just don't understand why people on the waitlist are being selected (no offense).

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:35 pm

Kwijiboe wrote:I got a similar email in March telling me to check my CANEID status. Both emails did not offer specifics, but just directed me towards CANEID to see changes in my application status.

In March, my CANEID Status notified me of being waitlisted.

Today, my CANEID Status notified me of being accepted.

157, 3.1, Mexican-American

Any hold URMs?

longroad

Postby longroad » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:59 pm

goflmarlins wrote:not to be a debbie downer.... but those of on hold and still haven't heard anything yet, I feel like if we don't hear anything today that is it. I just don't understand why people on the waitlist are being selected (no offense).

i would tend to agree with you. however, i have been saying this for days and it hasn't come true. each day more people keep getting pulled off the hold category (now WL too).

the only thing giving me hope are my numbers relative to those getting in. im just hoping their is some weird method they are using to read files from the hold list and they haven't gotten to ours yet.

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:32 pm

If it helps, I was admitted yesterday and my LSAT is higher, my GPA is lower. They might not be taking strictly from either category as far as numbers, they might be looking at whole applicants... just a thought.

Sias

Postby Sias » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:35 pm

hatteras1 wrote:If it helps, I was admitted yesterday and my LSAT is higher, my GPA is lower. They might not be taking strictly from either category as far as numbers, they might be looking at whole applicants... just a thought.

Oh snap. I know you didn't just play the "holistic approach" card. This is law school we're talking about.

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:40 pm

Sias wrote:
hatteras1 wrote:If it helps, I was admitted yesterday and my LSAT is higher, my GPA is lower. They might not be taking strictly from either category as far as numbers, they might be looking at whole applicants... just a thought.

Oh snap. I know you didn't just play the "holistic approach" card. This is law school we're talking about.

The trend of admittances simply did not fit any other obvious category. Just threw it out there for consideration.

Danger

Postby Danger » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:32 pm

I dont know if it helps at all, but I just called and I was told the would let me know in the first week of May via email. I was on hold since December. I have a really low GPA - 2.6, and not that great LSAT - 159. I have excellent softs - two varsity sports in college (Columbia U.), 2yrs of relevant work experience, didnt speak English until roughly 2003, international applicant etc. Miami was definitely a reach for me. I was really hoping I would get in after seeing the postings from the last few days, but now i feel like its WL at best.

Good luck everyone!

snakebones

Postby snakebones » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Any news?

miss woods 2013

Postby miss woods 2013 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:02 pm

trialjunky wrote:
Kwijiboe wrote:I got a similar email in March telling me to check my CANEID status. Both emails did not offer specifics, but just directed me towards CANEID to see changes in my application status.

In March, my CANEID Status notified me of being waitlisted.

Today, my CANEID Status notified me of being accepted.

157, 3.1, Mexican-American

Any hold URMs?

I'm half Cuban and on hold...I know it's not the most "in demand" URM for Miami, but I'm hoping it'll give me a little boost.

longroad

Postby longroad » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:03 pm

snakebones wrote:Any news?

ugh, unfortunately not. im very disappointed. i can't believe we may have to wait until may/june/july. im willing to wait, though. its rough to know my numbers are right there!

goflmarlins

Postby goflmarlins » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:27 pm

any theories about what will happen next week? Do we think acceptances are over and the waitlist is all that remains? I'm just ready for my status to show something besides the hold letter

longroad

Postby longroad » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:42 pm

goflmarlins wrote:any theories about what will happen next week? Do we think acceptances are over and the waitlist is all that remains? I'm just ready for my status to show something besides the hold letter

i think there will be a few more admits from the hold category. people will decline the offer, others admitted long ago will withdraw, and i think they just have more room for those on hold because the hold category was probably a decent size and composed of competitive applicants. unfortunately, i do not think all of us will get in off the hold. i think the majority of us left will get waitlisted, and our faith will be reevaluated after the second deposit deadline.

my status at 5:40 west coast time is still on hold (8:40 miami time). don't think i'll get any good news today or this weekend.

merry weekend to all!

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:35 pm

has there really been no action on this page all day long?

js53

Postby js53 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:33 pm

Just registered to use TLS a few minutes ago. I was accepted to Miami this past thursday after being on hold since early January. Just sent in my first seat deposit today. Looking forward to meeting alot of you sometime in August.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:49 pm

Taking a pessimistic approach - assuming Im out, 'til im in (hopefully). Besides, Ive got the last paper of my UG career to do, so its not like im waiting and worrying.

gpontoni

Postby gpontoni » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:47 pm

Is miami really worth paying full price? Just admitted on Thurs. off the hold list. Accepted to FIU, Stetson, UMiami and FAMU (Orlando is where I currently live and own a home). This is going to burn most of you TLS'ers but I'm actually fairly certain I'm going to be attending FAMU on a scholly. After visiting Stetson and FIU I visited FAMU and spoke with almost every staff member there. I have to admit, I was very impressed. After all the trash talking they had the best facilities (courtrooms, classrooms, library etc.) and a very eager and hard working staff. Couple that with the fact that I'll be getting a free education as opposed to being $150K in debt, it's nearly impossible to turn down. Although I probably won't be seeing any "big" law opportunites after law school, I believe If I work hard enough and network like crazy I'll be practicing law and financially comfortable as well.

Lawof_theLand

Postby Lawof_theLand » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:53 pm

I'm going to be attending FAMU

At least you'll be able to tell a hiring manager that you have demonstrably good decision-making skills and the good business sense not to get yourself $150K in debt.

Miami is a good school to go to if you have the money for it. The alumni network is top-notch. If you do have the money, or if you have mega-scholarships, then why not go for it.

But to borrow $150K and leave school with close to a $2K/mo debt obligation? Ouch!

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:53 am

So this weekend has been kind of nice... A little less anxiety. Guess it will all start again in 5 hours or so?...

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:33 am

95% I will be withdrawing by Friday, barring any surprise money from them.

Franco Columbu

Postby Franco Columbu » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:04 am

did anyone try calling this morning? any luck?

goflmarlins

Postby goflmarlins » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:18 am

No status change.

But for those waiting for scholarships, I doubt they will come. They would only give scholarships to those they accepted right away and as has been previously posted, all the money was gone over two months ago.

So with that being said, if you want to withdraw, WITHDRAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People want those spots!

longroad

Postby longroad » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:23 am

goflmarlins wrote:No status change.

But for those waiting for scholarships, I doubt they will come. They would only give scholarships to those they accepted right away and as has been previously posted, all the money was gone over two months ago.

So with that being said, if you want to withdraw, WITHDRAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! People want those spots!

another week of law school related anxiety for us. yay.

no status change here and i second the withdraw motion for everyone who knows they are not going.

snakebones

Postby snakebones » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:55 pm

this sucks.......nobody heard anything today???

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”