In at UMiami Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
darknightbegins

Silver

Re: In at UMiami

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:30 am

LSAT N00b wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
LSAT N00b wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:U of Miami is the first school I was admitted to back in December. I kind of wrote it off because most of me wants to stay on the west coast, but I can't get the idea of going there out of my head.

I'm seriously considering a visit.
I'm in the same boat man.
A friend of mine visited and said Coral Gables is about as close to Paradise as he thinks he will ever see. If Miami wasn't asking 30,000 sticker I'd probably have already decided to go. As it stands I am still considering it but waiting to hear from other schools that cost less. If the school threw me a few scraps I'd likely sign up for admission the next day.
Yeah. They gave me 20k per year. This site has so many bad things to say about the school though it makes me hesitant. :|

I'm really deciding between Tulane, Miami, and San Diego.
Christ Tulane? Unless I had some major money no way do I go there...talk about a pricey school. Unless its a T10 school no way do I pay that much. At least the U can somewhat justify its cost since its in Miami.

secretasianman

New

Post by secretasianman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am

secretasianman wrote:where can u check the status of your miami application? what's this Caneid im hearing about?
I applied mid january and got an email from them stating that they received my electronic application. Then i got another email saying that I was invited to some online chat thing. But, I never got an email about where I can check my application status such as CaneID. Any idea what happened? How do i access this?

msv5010

New

Post by msv5010 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:15 am

http://www.myum.miami.edu - you have to create an account the first time you use it. I think you pretty much put in your SSN and they do the rest but I forget how it works. They sent me one email about it but that was last week and I got in in December.

secretasianman

New

Post by secretasianman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:18 am

msv5010 wrote:http://www.myum.miami.edu - you have to create an account the first time you use it. I think you pretty much put in your SSN and they do the rest but I forget how it works. They sent me one email about it but that was last week and I got in in December.
Thx!

ahh found out that i've been placed on hold. what doe sthis mean? i've heard that this is better than getting waitlisted

LSAT N00b

New

Post by LSAT N00b » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:32 am

I got $30 k per year from Tulane, and I'm from Louisiana.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:26 am

LSAT N00b wrote:I got $30 k per year from Tulane, and I'm from Louisiana.
In that case we are talking, but to pay sticker for Tulane...yiiiiikes.

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:26 am

yeee i just got accepted at 2:00 A.M. It's my first acceptance letter and I'm only 19 years old and have no work experience. I thought adcoms would laugh in my face. The only thing I'm scared is that I might not get any scholly money now. Anyone think I still have a shot for $$$? 3.8-3.84 and 162-164. I will hear back about $$$ in 3-4 weeks after acceptance letter? too late? Input appreciated!

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:29 am

Damn kid when did you start your Undergrad? With those numbers you may have a shot...but I'd say its likely a long one. Most of that money has already been distributed. What other schools have you applied to?

minkins

New

Post by minkins » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:12 am

msv5010 wrote:http://www.myum.miami.edu - you have to create an account the first time you use it. I think you pretty much put in your SSN and they do the rest but I forget how it works. They sent me one email about it but that was last week and I got in in December.
Thanks for this! I was excited to sign up, hoping they had a status checker but something's better than nothing I guess. I'm starting to get a little anxious because people with my numbers (3.6, 164) have already gotten in with scholarships and I haven't heard anything. Looks like it was definitely beneficial to apply early to UM!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PunjabiLower

Bronze

Post by PunjabiLower » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:47 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Damn kid when did you start your Undergrad? With those numbers you may have a shot...but I'd say its likely a long one. Most of that money has already been distributed. What other schools have you applied to?
i started undergrad at 17. I was hoping for at least 23k/year. This is what people usually got with my numbers on LSN. How will I hear back? Snail mail or email about scholarship info? 3 weeks after admission?

nit00

New

Post by nit00 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:43 pm

Withdrew...good luck to those of you still waiting!

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:45 pm

In via Email this morning.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:59 pm

PunjabiLower wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:Damn kid when did you start your Undergrad? With those numbers you may have a shot...but I'd say its likely a long one. Most of that money has already been distributed. What other schools have you applied to?
i started undergrad at 17. I was hoping for at least 23k/year. This is what people usually got with my numbers on LSN. How will I hear back? Snail mail or email about scholarship info? 3 weeks after admission?
I think most people waited about 3-4 weeks then got a snail mail notice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:58 pm

anyone who got accepted january 20-something get any notifications about scholarships yet?

fcowrx

Bronze

Post by fcowrx » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:32 am

mango26 wrote:anyone who got accepted january 20-something get any notifications about scholarships yet?
Nothing yet, impatiently waiting... If I don't get anything by next Friday I'm assuming I won't be getting one :/ Good luck!

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:36 am

Did anyone else apply for the Miami Scholars Program?

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:04 am

fcowrx wrote:
mango26 wrote:anyone who got accepted january 20-something get any notifications about scholarships yet?
Nothing yet, impatiently waiting... If I don't get anything by next Friday I'm assuming I won't be getting one :/ Good luck!
good luck to you too

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tigerlilly17

New

Post by tigerlilly17 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:36 am

Nothing yet, either. The Law FinAid office told me that we should hear something within 2-3 weeks of our acceptance notification. I told her about a "rumor" I had heard that all the scholarship money had been allocated at this time. She just repeated that any accepted student should wait 2-3 weeks. Neither a confirmation nor a denial. Not very encouraging.

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:19 pm

already got my acceptance packet, but got another acceptance letter/invitation to the march 26th event in the mail. it was a small envelope. i was hoping it was about $!

melaniec

New

Post by melaniec » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:19 pm

just received the admissions packet today! it includes an invitation to Law Day March 26th

howie

New

Post by howie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:36 pm

yo i heard that for the most part downtown miami is spanish speaking how true is that? will I have a tough time adjusting im from upstate new york.

anyways i think i boiled my chioces down to catholic, seton hall, and miami, with schollys they all cost pretty much the same

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KafkaLover

New

Post by KafkaLover » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:32 pm

howie wrote:yo i heard that for the most part downtown miami is spanish speaking how true is that? will I have a tough time adjusting im from upstate new york.

anyways i think i boiled my chioces down to catholic, seton hall, and miami, with schollys they all cost pretty much the same
It isn't just downtown that is Spanish speaking - it's pretty much the entire city, though some areas have many more Spanish speakers than others. In Hialeah and Little Havana, for example, you would be addressed in Spanish rather than English. You won't have any real trouble if you're an English only speaker, but to my understanding a knowledge of Spanish or related languages, like Portuguese, is an important tool in the Miami legal market. Miami is a city rich in Hispanic flavor, and I think to really enjoy your time in law school down here you need to have a certain level of comfort dealing with people who are English as a second language speakers and who are Cuban, Puerto Rican, Dominican, or all the other nationalities in this city.
I love Miami - can't beat the weather (except for the hurricanes) and the beaches and nightlife are killer.

gator08

New

Post by gator08 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:37 pm

Anyone going to Admitted Students Day 3/26? I have not seen too much discussion on this throughout the thread and supposedly its going to be Spring Break in Miami that week.

I'm flying in on that Wed. and I really want to get a feel for the city and any potential classmates. Can't think of any btr icebreaker than boozing in Miami during SB.

PM me if ur going and want to party, should be a great weekend!

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:10 pm

gator08 wrote:Anyone going to Admitted Students Day 3/26? I have not seen too much discussion on this throughout the thread and supposedly its going to be Spring Break in Miami that week.

I'm flying in on that Wed. and I really want to get a feel for the city and any potential classmates. Can't think of any btr icebreaker than boozing in Miami during SB.

I am going and am getting to Miami on that thursday... lets party

Someone should start an official UMiami ASW thread: to get together people to party that thursday and friday night

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:14 pm

sarlis wrote:
gator08 wrote:Anyone going to Admitted Students Day 3/26? I have not seen too much discussion on this throughout the thread and supposedly its going to be Spring Break in Miami that week.

I am going and am getting to Miami on that thursday... lets party

Someone should start an official UMiami ASW thread: to get together people to party that thursday and friday night
I would be down, but I am not going until my spring break... WMC is going on also, so it will be a good time.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”