In at UMiami Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mango26

Bronze

Re: In at UMiami

Post by mango26 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:58 pm

For people who have received scholarship $, did your admissions letter on the website mention this at all? or did you hear about it later?

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:06 pm

gpontoni wrote:Here's a question for everyone. If you had a full ride or 3/4 scholarship from FIU, and were accepted to Miami with no scholarship...which would you choose? I have a sizable previous undergrad debt and I may be running into that dilemma soon. Already been accepted to Stetson on a side note. Thanx!
FIU

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:08 pm

mango26 wrote:For people who have received scholarship $, did your admissions letter on the website mention this at all? or did you hear about it later?
I received an email saying I got $ after I got the acceptance package. Then I got a letter in the mail letting my know of the amount.

NeedAdviceNow

New

Post by NeedAdviceNow » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:10 pm

I am on hold for further review. Does it mean it is time to send LOCI?

jtgain

New

Post by jtgain » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:44 pm

gpontoni wrote:Here's a question for everyone. If you had a full ride or 3/4 scholarship from FIU, and were accepted to Miami with no scholarship...which would you choose? I have a sizable previous undergrad debt and I may be running into that dilemma soon. Already been accepted to Stetson on a side note. Thanx!
I might be facing a similar dilemma. Maybe the posters above could justify their opposing answers? ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mrm2083

Bronze

Post by mrm2083 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:04 pm

The problems I see with FIU are that it is brand new so no alumni network, the quality of students is probably terrible based off their lsat and GPA medians, and ultimately the name. Its like going to St. Thomas, no one takes it seriously, if you want to open a private practice then who cares but if you want a job in a big firm your just not gonna get hired. Its not that UM is the best school in the world but in South Florida it is and by a long shot. I would recommend UM no matter what you have to pay if your looking for any kind of big law in south Florida if not then its up to how much "prestige" you want. I guarantee that if you want a job at Greenburg and graduate from FIU your not gonna get it (and even from UM some guy from a T14 might take it but at least you still have a good shot). And if you don't want to spend the money go to FSU/UF.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:06 pm

jtgain wrote:
I might be facing a similar dilemma. Maybe the posters above could justify their opposing answers? ;)
Two both of you guys, I'd make sure that the scholarship to FIU doesn't come with some crazy GPA stipulation. Sticker at Miami isn't cheap and while it's easy for someone to tell you to take on the debt, I'm not sure I'd take on the debt in your situation. I'd definitely check on the requirements to maintain your FIU scholarship though.

Also, despite what the majority opinion of TLS seems to be, I honestly do believe that it is the person rather than the brand name that will ultimately decide what you can do with your degree. You'll probably have to do all of the leg work coming out of FIU as the school's name isn't going to help you out, but it's not going to be a career ender to have a JD from a tier 3 school.

fcowrx

Bronze

Post by fcowrx » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:49 pm

Got that same e-mail telling me my UM ID and to check on the app status but no "Congrats" or anything when I login to myUM. -_-

As for FIU $$ or UM (FIU undergrad here), if you don't get into FSU or UF I'd take UM just because FIU is new and no network so it's not exactly looked upon highly in SoFla just yet, maybe in the future, who knows. For that reason I didn't even apply to FIU, plus I refuse to have to make the same drive to campus for another 3 years lol

I really hope I'm in at the U so I can be considered for the next scholarship batch. Spoke with someone today that said the scholarship budget is tight at this point in the cycle.

For those with scholly's not attending, please send in your withdrawals!! :)

Sky'stheLimit

Bronze

Post by Sky'stheLimit » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:25 pm

$23k a year!!! Contingent on a 3.2GPA

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pleadthe5th

New

Post by Pleadthe5th » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:31 pm

Has anyone had any luck renegotiating their scholarships with UM asking for more money?

Inez090

New

Post by Inez090 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Does this mean I was put on hold?

Your application for admission to The University of Miami School of Law has been reviewed and no final decision has been made at this time. Your credentials qualify you to be placed in a hold category and your application will be reconsidered prior to April 30th.

I am sorry that it is not possible to predict the outcome or the exact date of the Admissions Committee's ultimate decision with regard to your application. We are, however, quite anxious to have as much information as possible about applicants held for further consideration. We invite you, therefore, to feel free to submit relevant materials which you want taken into account when your application comes before the Committee again. This might include a new LSAT score, final grades, a personal statement not included in your original application, or any other information that you consider to be of pertinence.

We will notify you of any change in your status as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Michael L. Goodnight
Assistant Dean of Admissions

I am URM with 3.51 and 159. I am confused. I just got into American last week.

applying2ls

New

Post by applying2ls » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:52 pm

Inex090 sounds to me like you were put on hold. Im curious when did you apply and what kind of urm are you? I am urm with 3.58 gpa and 166 lsat and I got a full scholarship from them. I would think they would quickly accept you with some $$$ too.

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:00 pm

mrm2083 wrote:The problems I see with FIU are that it is brand new so no alumni network, the quality of students is probably terrible based off their lsat and GPA medians, and ultimately the name. Its like going to St. Thomas, no one takes it seriously, if you want to open a private practice then who cares but if you want a job in a big firm your just not gonna get hired. Its not that UM is the best school in the world but in South Florida it is and by a long shot. I would recommend UM no matter what you have to pay if your looking for any kind of big law in south Florida if not then its up to how much "prestige" you want. I guarantee that if you want a job at Greenburg and graduate from FIU your not gonna get it (and even from UM some guy from a T14 might take it but at least you still have a good shot). And if you don't want to spend the money go to FSU/UF.
Definitely FSU or UF in-state over Miami if Miami is full priced. That isn't even a question. I'd even be super wary of taking Miami's 23k/year offer over a UF or FSU in-state acceptance as well because it comes with a 3.2 GPA stipulation. UF and FSU at full in-state price are roughly equal in price to Miami with the 23k scholarship. And if you place in the bottom half of the class, you will likely be more in need of the low tuition than the people at the top.

I was assuming that FIU at 3/4 to full scholarship and Miami were the only two choices in this hypo. Remember also that FIU at 3/4 scholarship is around 4k/year tuition. Pretty darned cheap if you ask me.

My biggest issue with UM at full price is that the majority of the UM class won't be able to get the type of corporate jobs MRM references. It is also possible that you may decide that corporate law isn't for you. There really isn't much of a way to tell before going to law school whether you will end up as part of the group that won't have access to corporate. The average Miami student will be part of that group.

Don't you need to be top quarter at Miami to get interviewed for those biglaw jobs MRM? From what I understand, top 10% at FIU gets your foot in the door for interviews at the same firms.

If MRM is correct about the quality of students at FIU, then wouldn't it be a safer bet gunning for top 10% at 0-4k/year tuition (0-12k over 3) there than top 25% at Miami at 38k/year (114k over 3)?

In the event you have some sort of legitimate reason to think that you are going to be better at taking law school exams than the vast majority of the entering UM class, then maybe taking UM full price makes sense. I just don't see what reason someone would have to think that, apart from maybe a 171 LSAT ( :wink: at MRM).

Do you (person posing the hypo) have good reason to believe that you will be a vastly superior law school exam taker than the average entering UMiami student? If you somehow do, then I suppose I endorse Miami at full price over FIU with large scholarship.

edit: and if you had a 171 LSAT, you wouldn't be in this dilemma, because you would have a nice scholarship offer from Miami as well

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Inez090

New

Post by Inez090 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:13 pm

applying2ls wrote:Inex090 sounds to me like you were put on hold. Im curious when did you apply and what kind of urm are you? I am urm with 3.58 gpa and 166 lsat and I got a full scholarship from them. I would think they would quickly accept you with some $$$ too.
South American. Yea I am pretty surprised by the hold. I was definitely expecting some money.

fcowrx

Bronze

Post by fcowrx » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:21 pm

Pleadthe5th wrote:Has anyone had any luck renegotiating their scholarships with UM asking for more money?
I'd also like to know.

mrm2083

Bronze

Post by mrm2083 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:18 am

Whatsforlunch: I completely agree with you at the UM at full price and job prospects which is why I said UM if you want big law. You gotta remember this is TLS and everything has to do with big law lol but yes your completely right that if your not going to be in the top of your class then don't waste the money. It's just that growing up in Miami I've seen the stigma behind all the Florida schools other than UF/FSU/UM and its never good (don't know about Stetson).

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:13 am

Yea, I hear ya about the stigma. I live down here, and I see it all the time too. I get that the money is worth spending if you are going to finish towards the top, but I just don't think that finishing towards the top is necessarily something you can will yourself to do. I am going to do whatever it takes to get there, but won't the majority of my classmates do the same?

Is no one else but me scared out of his mind that 95% of his classmates will be very intelligent and hardworking, and that, when graded on a curve, some of those intelligent and hardworking students will have to get really crappy ranks?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SAOJD10

Bronze

Post by SAOJD10 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:58 am

So those who got money from UM how long after your acceptance did you find out about your scholarship? I was accepted but wary to pay sticker especially at $38,000 a yr

mrm2083

Bronze

Post by mrm2083 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:21 am

Ya I agree with you it is pretty scary, think about it, all of us will be battling each other next year to keep our scholarships :wink: Seriously though it is a gamble and going to be a shit load of work but so is everything in life, if you want to be the best you need to take risks and work your ass off.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:04 pm

mrm2083 wrote:Ya I agree with you it is pretty scary, think about it, all of us will be battling each other next year to keep our scholarships :wink: Seriously though it is a gamble and going to be a shit load of work but so is everything in life, if you want to be the best you need to take risks and work your ass off.
I thought it was concluded earlier in this thread that The U did not section stack

mrm2083

Bronze

Post by mrm2083 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Even if they don't stack sections you still need to be in at least the top 40% to keep the scholarship

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:38 pm

mrm2083 wrote:Even if they don't stack sections you still need to be in at least the top 40% to keep the scholarship
3.2... so roughly 50%

LSAT N00b

New

Post by LSAT N00b » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:34 pm

Still waiting on scholarship info.

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:58 pm

LSAT N00b wrote:Still waiting on scholarship info.
when were you accepted? also, care to share #'s?

p_r

New

Post by p_r » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:24 pm

In yesterday via UM ID email and snail mail.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”