In at UMiami Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jtgain

New

In at UMiami

Post by jtgain » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Just got a UM acceptance letter in the mail. Strange thing is that the status checker at MyUM hasn't changed.

samer

Bronze

Re: In at UMiami

Post by samer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:58 pm

I asked on your other thread but it doesn't really matter. When did you go complete? Congrats!

jtgain

New

Post by jtgain » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:04 pm

samer wrote:I asked on your other thread but it doesn't really matter. When did you go complete? Congrats!
On LSAC, it says that the electronic app was sent 9/14. I assume that's what you mean by "go complete"

samer

Bronze

Post by samer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Yeah. Cool that's the same day I sent mine. I'll have to check my mail when I get home.

Pleadthe5th

New

Post by Pleadthe5th » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 pm

this might sound dumb but after creating a CaneID account how do you check your status?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

samer

Bronze

Post by samer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:21 pm

Yeah, I'd like to know the answer to that, too. I read the "In at Miami" thread from last cycle and saw that I should create a CaneID so I did that but I also don't know how to check my status. Good luck to everyone!

Kojack

New

Post by Kojack » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:45 pm

Congratulation!

I hope to hear soon...

samer

Bronze

Post by samer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:55 pm

Also, is anyone planning on going to their open house?

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:15 am

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your numbers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jtgain

New

Post by jtgain » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:40 am

Tuyarp wrote:Congrats! Do you mind sharing your numbers?
164/3.14

I am wondering now if that will translate into some merit schollys...

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:39 pm

They're pretty good with schollys. I'm sure you'll get some.

When did you send out your app out?

jtgain

New

Post by jtgain » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:08 pm

Tuyarp wrote:They're pretty good with schollys. I'm sure you'll get some.

When did you send out your app out?
9/14

randyn

New

Post by randyn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:10 pm

when is open house, to lazy to look

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

t_flores08

New

Post by t_flores08 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:12 pm

Hey, I have similar numbers and the U is one of my top choices. Did you do anything special with your app? Like an awesome PS or a DS? Or do you think your numbers were solely responsible? Also, I have some q's regarding the app itself and some of the fill in questions. Would you be able to shed some light on them?

O, and CONGRATS btw!!!

t_flores08

New

Post by t_flores08 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:12 pm

O, and did your receive a fee waiver by any chance? I want to finish my app tonight, but will hold off if there is a chance I can get a fee waiver.

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:18 pm

randyn wrote:when is open house, to lazy to look
November 24, 2009.

Mparty7441

New

Post by Mparty7441 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:39 pm

t_flores08 wrote:O, and did your receive a fee waiver by any chance? I want to finish my app tonight, but will hold off if there is a chance I can get a fee waiver.
I got a waiver from Miami late last week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jtgain

New

Post by jtgain » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:19 pm

t_flores08 wrote:O, and did your receive a fee waiver by any chance? I want to finish my app tonight, but will hold off if there is a chance I can get a fee waiver.
Sure, ask me any questions you would like. I did receive a fee waiver, but I asked for it. I emailed the admissions department with a polite request and they granted it.

t_flores08

New

Post by t_flores08 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:11 pm

jtgain wrote:
Sure, ask me any questions you would like. I did receive a fee waiver, but I asked for it. I emailed the admissions department with a polite request and they granted it.
Alright thanks. I was going to PM you, but I figured other applicants might have the same questions, so might as well share the knowledge. Here we go.

1) More or less, how much did you write for the question regarding "Why you chose your major."?

2) Under the question regarding "any significant writing experience/ papers", what did you put? Like did you present a sample, talk about a thesis, or just write about papers you've written in undergrad. (for example, I have have written a number of research papers for poli sci and business courses, would I write about this? What else would I put?)

3) Did you write about overcoming obstacles, or did you not feel the need?

4) Finally, for the statement you need to sign, did you print, sign, scan, and attach as an electronic copy? Or were you able to just type your name in and that is the signature?

I know a lot of these things sound petty, but UM is one of my target schools, and I would really like to open an acceptance letter from them. Numbers wise, I am similar to you. I have a 3.23/ 163 (and 153 from June), so I am not a for sure acceptance. Any info is appreciated. Thanks again.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:17 pm

Ignore this post/delete.
Last edited by coolkatz321 on Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:18 pm

t_flores08 wrote:
jtgain wrote:
Alright thanks. I was going to PM you, but I figured other applicants might have the same questions, so might as well share the knowledge. Here we go.

1) More or less, how much did you write for the question regarding "Why you chose your major."?

2) Under the question regarding "any significant writing experience/ papers", what did you put? Like did you present a sample, talk about a thesis, or just write about papers you've written in undergrad. (for example, I have have written a number of research papers for poli sci and business courses, would I write about this? What else would I put?)

4) Finally, for the statement you need to sign, did you print, sign, scan, and attach as an electronic copy? Or were you able to just type your name in and that is the signature?

I know a lot of these things sound petty, but UM is one of my target schools, and I would really like to open an acceptance letter from them. Numbers wise, I am similar to you. I have a 3.23/ 163 (and 153 from June), so I am not a for sure acceptance. Any info is appreciated. Thanks again.

A few sentences about any of those will be more than enough for Miami's application. I don't think they really even look at those when you apply...it's much more of a numbers/are you willing to pay their high, high tuition game. Congrats to the OP on getting in!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jtgain

New

Post by jtgain » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:09 am

t_flores08 wrote:
jtgain wrote:

Well, first, I'm non-traditional, so my app might be different.

1) I said that I chose my major (business management) with a two-fold objective in mind. First, I wanted to complete an undergrad to attend law school. But since I had family obligations and that I might not financially be able to attend law school, then a business degree could help me further my career in any other field I might pursue. (I added that it looks as if law school will work financially)

2) For writing experience, I only had things from 15 years ago in my first aborted attempt at undergrad work. I think that this section is a "can only help if it is good, but doesn't hurt if not much is here"

3) Overcoming obstacles, I simply said that when I was 18-20 I lacked the maturity to focus on completing my school work. Now that I am older I have realized the importance of hard work and completing tasks. I said that I overcame my own lack of discipline.

4) I printed the statement and dropped it in the mail with my fee waiver email stapled to it.

I agree with the previous poster that these things are probably not important to the app. Unless you really put something very impressive on there, or put something very unprofessional or silly, then these will just be check offs..Best of luck

t_flores08

New

Post by t_flores08 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Thanks for the insight jt. I completed most of the app, but am tweaking my PS. UM is up there on my target schools, so I really want things to be perfect. Plus, i am hoping for a little bit of scholly money. The high tuition is what kept me from attending their undergrad :/ .

KansasSplitter

New

Post by KansasSplitter » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:07 pm

Also in at Miami (letter received today, dated October 16th). Huzzah! Here's to hoping the coffers open some scholly money up...

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:09 pm

KansasSplitter wrote:Also in at Miami (letter received today, dated October 16th). Huzzah! Here's to hoping the coffers open some scholly money up...
Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”