In at UMiami Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
km23

Bronze

Re: In at UMiami

Post by km23 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:59 pm

Last edited by km23 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

barrel_bra

New

Post by barrel_bra » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:09 pm

trialjunky wrote:Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!! I'm in and so super excited. Does anyone know about the Friendship Apartment Complex? They said it's less than a mile away and 1 bedrooms run around $650? From the pictures I've seen, it's really cute! Know anything about it??

Anyone looking for a roomie?

What were your stats? How long until you heard anything?

My app was in early January, and haven't heard a thing since. The student website is worthless, it never updates or has additional information about status.

Andreeai

New

Post by Andreeai » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:37 pm

deleted

mikeddaqb

New

Post by mikeddaqb » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:09 pm

I got a 23k scholarship 161, 3.58 lots of work experience. I'm debating the tax LLM program. Any thoughts on career prospects?

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:28 am

barrel_bra wrote:
trialjunky wrote:Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!! I'm in and so super excited. Does anyone know about the Friendship Apartment Complex? They said it's less than a mile away and 1 bedrooms run around $650? From the pictures I've seen, it's really cute! Know anything about it??

Anyone looking for a roomie?

What were your stats? How long until you heard anything?

My app was in early January, and haven't heard a thing since. The student website is worthless, it never updates or has additional information about status.
I applied mid February. I am a URM and current team lead/paralegal at a foreclosure firm. I've been working there the majority of my college career.

My LSAT was dismal at 154. I believe the soft factors really played in my decision. The UM site is crap! Mine still isn't showing my admittance. I got an email from the assistant dean about the new admitted student website. I knew that if I was on that listserv, I was probably in. I called UM to confirm, and I was accepted! The UM rep, who was really nice, stated that my acceptance message wouldn't show up on my UM page until Friday.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:34 am

gdane5 wrote: As for the networking. Unless you know how to speak spanish, dont count on networking too much. Miami is a city in which you need to know spanish otherwise you are at the mercy of the non english speaking people. Let me put it this way, Miami could be its own little country.
Those who are serious about the U, do not underestimate this fact! Learning spanish will really help your resume when you are searching for employment in the city. Seriously, get Rosetta Stone or something you will need it!

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:00 pm

anyone go to the the chats tonight?

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:06 pm

sarlis wrote:anyone go to the the chats tonight?
i'm on them right now. probably won't be attending miami though. can't afford the tuition + cost of living

samiam123

New

Post by samiam123 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:20 pm

was just on, they said that um grads are very well received nationally..glad to hear but not convinced yet

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

redvelvetccake

New

Post by redvelvetccake » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:50 pm

Withdrawing admission tomorrow, hope one of you gets my spot

minkins

New

Post by minkins » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:50 am

Withdrawing since I didn't get any $$$, good luck to whoever gets the spot. Hope it's a TLSer!

StoneontaState

New

Post by StoneontaState » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:12 pm

samiam123 wrote:was just on, they said that um grads are very well received nationally..glad to hear but not convinced yet
Yeah I'm still contemplating about the U just for that reason. I kind of don't want to live in Florida for the rest of my life no offense to anyone who lives there now.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:15 pm

mikeddaqb wrote:I got a 23k scholarship 161, 3.58 lots of work experience. I'm debating the tax LLM program. Any thoughts on career prospects?
How did you find out about your scholly? Was it in the initial acceptance package they sent you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:17 pm

doinmybest wrote:
gdane5 wrote: As for the networking. Unless you know how to speak spanish, dont count on networking too much. Miami is a city in which you need to know spanish otherwise you are at the mercy of the non english speaking people. Let me put it this way, Miami could be its own little country.
Those who are serious about the U, do not underestimate this fact! Learning spanish will really help your resume when you are searching for employment in the city. Seriously, get Rosetta Stone or something you will need it!

Hmm, if I end up attending Miami hopefully my Spanish degree will come in handy.

mikeddaqb

New

Post by mikeddaqb » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:17 pm

trialjunky wrote:
mikeddaqb wrote:I got a 23k scholarship 161, 3.58 lots of work experience. I'm debating the tax LLM program. Any thoughts on career prospects?
How did you find out about your scholly? Was it in the initial acceptance package they sent you?
They mailed me a letter a few weeks after i was accepted.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:39 am

J-tow10 wrote:
doinmybest wrote:

Hmm, if I end up attending Miami hopefully my Spanish degree will come in handy.
Lol, apparently we're doing the UF/UM struggle. Good luck on your DIT 3/11.

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:07 pm

trialjunky wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:
doinmybest wrote:

Lol, apparently we're doing the UF/UM struggle. Good luck on your DIT 3/11.

Haha, thanks. Best of luck to you too!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LoveSaltLife

New

Post by LoveSaltLife » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:13 pm

I called the admissions office yet to see if they had begun to review the 'hold' applications yet. They haven't.

158/3.6 on hold since October.

eberl032

Bronze

Post by eberl032 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Withdrew today. 23k/yr freed up. Good luck everyone!

GTLAWSCHOOL

Bronze

Post by GTLAWSCHOOL » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:29 pm

Anybody else holding out hope there's a little bit of money for us accepted around January(right around the time they stopped offering money)?

fcowrx

Bronze

Post by fcowrx » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:58 pm

GTLAWSCHOOL wrote:Anybody else holding out hope there's a little bit of money for us accepted around January(right around the time they stopped offering money)?
There better be a lot of money because its hard to swallow UM at sticker with a scholarship at UF (as if in-state tuition didn't make it hard enough already).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KafkaLover

New

Post by KafkaLover » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:07 pm

I have it from a confidential source at the U that all the scholarship money has been given out, but excess money will be redistributed once students admitted with a scholarship withdraw. However, notice of a scholarship from the new pool of money won't be received until late spring or summer.
PS- Did anyone else receive an email today about acting as a juror for lit skills mock court rounds? Weird.

fcowrx

Bronze

Post by fcowrx » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:55 pm

KafkaLover wrote:I have it from a confidential source at the U that all the scholarship money has been given out, but excess money will be redistributed once students admitted with a scholarship withdraw. However, notice of a scholarship from the new pool of money won't be received until late spring or summer.
PS- Did anyone else receive an email today about acting as a juror for lit skills mock court rounds? Weird.
That's really unfortunate as deposits are due beginning April 1st for me. I plan on trying to negotiate a scholarship on Monday so I'll post back with results..

Yeah I got that e-mail this morning as well. I think it could be a cool experience so I'm considering it.

GTLAWSCHOOL

Bronze

Post by GTLAWSCHOOL » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:04 pm

fcowrx wrote:
    KafkaLover wrote:I have it from a confidential source at the U that all the scholarship money has been given out, but excess money will be redistributed once students admitted with a scholarship withdraw. However, notice of a scholarship from the new pool of money won't be received until late spring or summer.
    That's really unfortunate as deposits are due beginning April 1st for me. I plan on trying to negotiate a scholarship on Monday so I'll post back with results..

Yeah I got that e-mail this morning as well. I think it could be a cool experience so I'm considering it.
      I plan on doing the same. I have a few scholly offers from higher ranked schools(out of state), my question to you is how do plan about negotiating with them? PM if you want.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:29 am

Anyone else going to the Lawday for admitted students on Friday?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
      Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”