In at UMiami Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Wall2Law

New

Re: In at UMiami

Post by Wall2Law » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:34 pm

Just wanted to pass along that there is a facebook page for admitted students.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pag ... 190?ref=ts

goflmarlins

New

Post by goflmarlins » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:20 pm

Just talked with admissions. They said applicants in the hold category had not been reviewed yet and probably wouldn't be until next week. They said to call next week to recheck.

lawschool5523

Bronze

Post by lawschool5523 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:02 pm

do you all know where on the myUM page you pay the seat deposit??

Franco Columbu

New

Post by Franco Columbu » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:08 pm

its been pretty quiet on this page lately. I guess there haven't been many offers sent out in the past while.

msv5010

New

Post by msv5010 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Just sent in my seat deposit. I'm back and forth between Miami and Rutgers because the 3.2 GPA stipulation makes me nervous, but I'm probably leaning towards Miami at this point

Just got into FSU a moment ago. Makes the decision a little more difficult.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:08 am

I'm hedging...did anyone else notice at ASW that no one in admissions or on faculty had a UM comparable degree. Everyone was from the T14. If ranking doesn't matter that much....

J-tow10

Bronze

Post by J-tow10 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:15 am

trialjunky wrote:I'm hedging...did anyone else notice at ASW that no one in admissions or on faculty had a UM comparable degree. Everyone was from the T14. If ranking doesn't matter that much....
Well if you consider how competitive the market is for jobs as lawyers, then for academia it's even more so. There will always be people qualified to teach at higher ranked schools, but for whatever reason (family, personal choice, etc.) choose to live in Miami, and thus teach at the best school in the region (UM).

CKuleba

New

Post by CKuleba » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:28 am

msv5010 wrote:Just sent in my seat deposit. I'm back and forth between Miami and Rutgers because the 3.2 GPA stipulation makes me nervous, but I'm probably leaning towards Miami at this point

Just got into FSU a moment ago. Makes the decision a little more difficult.

Ohhhh, tough choice. If your not looking to live in south florida, I'd say #1 FSU #2 Rutgers (#1 if you want to live in NJ/Northeast) and #3 Miami

mattA

New

Post by mattA » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Withdrawing today!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Franco Columbu

New

Post by Franco Columbu » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:29 pm

Thank you

dancer330

New

Post by dancer330 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:26 pm

Is anyone doing the J.D./M.M. (master of music) program at Miami?

lawschool5523

Bronze

Post by lawschool5523 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:30 pm

dancer330 wrote:Is anyone doing the J.D./M.M. (master of music) program at Miami?
I am!

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:50 am

Anyone else annoyed in general about the two seat deposits law schools make you put down? I'm sorry but with having to move, my expenses already up and having a $1,000 in deposits make you grumpy. Where is everyone moving from?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ManUdevil

New

Post by ManUdevil » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:57 am

trialjunky wrote:Anyone else annoyed in general about the two seat deposits law schools make you put down? I'm sorry but with having to move, my expenses already up and having a $1,000 in deposits make you grumpy. Where is everyone moving from?
I am! Esp. since I don't have any scholarship $. I'm putting my first deposit down today. I will be moving from Kansas City.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:00 am

ANY NEWS FOR THE ON HOLD CATEGORY?

goflmarlins

New

Post by goflmarlins » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:20 am

I'm on hold and I called yesterday. They told me to call back again next week which is what they told me to do last week.... So I don't know what is up with them. When was the first seat deposit due?

dancer330

New

Post by dancer330 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:20 am

lawschool5523 wrote:
dancer330 wrote:Is anyone doing the J.D./M.M. (master of music) program at Miami?
I am!
Do you know anything about how competitive the program is? I just got in and it kind of threw a whole other element into my already difficult decision... I think the program is so cool but I can't decide whether it's worth the money... and whether it's worth going to Miami over the other school I am considering... and whether this extra degree is actually going to help me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:32 am

dancer330 wrote:
lawschool5523 wrote:
I am!
Do you know anything about how competitive the program is? I just got in and it kind of threw a whole other element into my already difficult decision... I think the program is so cool but I can't decide whether it's worth the money... and whether it's worth going to Miami over the other school I am considering... and whether this extra degree is actually going to help me.

I think it depends. What kind of law are you going into? If your going into Entertainment law it would benefit you. Miami does well in the Entertainment market due to it's location and with a masters in music I can only assume that it'll help you place better in the Entertainment law field but as I said...that's an assumption.

Franco Columbu

New

Post by Franco Columbu » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:41 am

So I walked out of my house this morning and a tiny black bird pooped on my head, right in the middle of it.

Everyone keeps telling me that it's a sign of good luck, does that mean I'll be hearing from admissions today?

gator08

New

Post by gator08 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:So I walked out of my house this morning and a tiny black bird pooped on my head, right in the middle of it.

Everyone keeps telling me that it's a sign of good luck, does that mean I'll be hearing from admissions today?
Sounds like bad luck to me bro, same thing happened to my dad then a few days later he was struck by a car.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Franco Columbu wrote:So I walked out of my house this morning and a tiny black bird pooped on my head, right in the middle of it.

I'd say, you'll probably find out from them AFTER the deposit. At this point, I'm thinking they've given out all their offers and are waiting to see how many people are commiting to their school. Good news, it prolly puts you ahead of the people waitlisted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschool5523

Bronze

Post by lawschool5523 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:50 pm

I think it depends. What kind of law are you going into? If your going into Entertainment law it would benefit you. Miami does well in the Entertainment market due to it's location and with a masters in music I can only assume that it'll help you place better in the Entertainment law field but as I said...that's an assumption.[/quote]

+1

I looked at the "Music Business & Entertainment Industries" Masters program alone (it has been around for a while) and saw awesome reviews for it. When people just get their Masters, they have good job prospects. If you want to get Entertainment Law internships, and have job possibilities in Miami, then I think it is an awesome joint program!

eagles86

Bronze

Post by eagles86 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:20 pm

The leaked US News Rankings have Miami up to 60 --LinkRemoved--
+11 after gaining the same amount last year. UM seemed to be more selective this year so I wouldnt rule out the 50s in the near future. Honestly, the placement seems as good as any school at the bottom of the top 50.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:36 pm

I was so excited when I saw the leak! We've been moving steadily upwards. UM was @ 82 two years ago and after going to the ASW I feel a lot more confident in going to UM this fall.

eagles86

Bronze

Post by eagles86 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:34 pm

+1 ...I think at worst the 60 is here to stay as its getting tougher to be admitted. I also liked the fact that UMiami has students from all around the country coming for law school and its not just those who are from the South FL area. Although I didnt like how some at ASW thought Snooki and the Jersey Shore cast are a true representation of my home state lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”