In at UMiami Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarlis

Silver

Re: In at UMiami

Post by sarlis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:30 pm

Received the scholarship email!

Is it courteous, or just a good idea, to respond to the email, saying something along the lines of thank you, or no?

MixedGirl2009

New

Post by MixedGirl2009 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:16 pm

sarlis wrote:Received the scholarship email!

Is it courteous, or just a good idea, to respond to the email, saying something along the lines of thank you, or no?
Did you receive it just today or along with all the other people who received it a few days ago?? are your numbers > than the 75th percentile?

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:45 pm

Received a letter today offering acceptance at the U. 165/2.97 (extreme extreme upward trend, military service, work history, etc.) Miami is probably in my top 3 if I get at least a half scholarship, not even in the top 10 without. I'm not sure if I am good scholarship material but I had a fee waiver and I would really like to attend.
Last edited by the lantern on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:48 pm

MixedGirl2009 wrote:
sarlis wrote:Received the scholarship email!

Did you receive it just today or along with all the other people who received it a few days ago?? are your numbers > than the 75th percentile?
Just today. And yes, my numbers are both above the 75th

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Called the admissions office to see if my application was complete (application received on 12/2, so it had been a while), and found out I was admitted! Yay! 3.20, 160.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:13 pm

Just got the scholarship letter in the mail. 23k/year with a 3.2 GPA stipulation. I wonder how tough the curve is at Miami...Anyone heard anything?

Mitch McDeere

New

Post by Mitch McDeere » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:00 pm

Threepeat wrote:Just got the scholarship letter in the mail. 23k/year with a 3.2 GPA stipulation. I wonder how tough the curve is at Miami...Anyone heard anything?
I'm not sure about the curve, but I read on here somewhere that Miami places all of the people with scholarships into the same section. I hope that's not the case because I just got the same offer, and really don't like the idea of competing against other scholly recipients in order to keep the money during 2L and 3L. Does anyone know if this is true?

nit00

New

Post by nit00 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:21 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:Called the admissions office to see if my application was complete (application received on 12/2, so it had been a while), and found out I was admitted! Yay! 3.20, 160.
Hmm..mine was received 12/10, wonder if I should give them a call this week.

nit00

New

Post by nit00 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:48 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:Called the admissions office to see if my application was complete (application received on 12/2, so it had been a while), and found out I was admitted! Yay! 3.20, 160.
Congrats by the way!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:55 pm

Mitch McDeere wrote:
Threepeat wrote:Just got the scholarship letter in the mail. 23k/year with a 3.2 GPA stipulation. I wonder how tough the curve is at Miami...Anyone heard anything?
I'm not sure about the curve, but I read on here somewhere that Miami places all of the people with scholarships into the same section. I hope that's not the case because I just got the same offer, and really don't like the idea of competing against other scholly recipients in order to keep the money during 2L and 3L. Does anyone know if this is true?
wwwoooooahhh.... that would change the value of the scholarship tremendously. Not only would it be a very realistic possibility to lose the scholarship, but competing against an abnormally high proportion of scholarship students would likely hurt one's class rank.

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:56 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:
Mitch McDeere wrote:
wwwoooooahhh.... that would change the value of the scholarship tremendously. Not only would it be a very realistic possibility to lose the scholarship, but competing against an abnormally high proportion of scholarship students would likely hurt one's class rank.
isn't the entire 1L class ranked together?

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:57 pm

Mitch McDeere wrote:
This can't be the case

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:02 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:
whuts4lunch wrote:
Mitch McDeere wrote:
The entire class is ranked together, but the sections are curved individually. Say you have 350 students, and 5 sections of 70. Each 70 student section will be curved in the same manner. If they cram all the scholarship recipients into the same section, some people MUST lose their scholarships. The entire class will be ranked together, but there must be X amount of A's, B's, C's, etc. in each section. This is (allegedly) a common tactic at many law schools.

Personally, I would take any scholarship with a GPA requirement with a big grain of salt. I (likely) will not attend any school which offers me a conditional scholarship unless I would be comfortable paying sticker. Miami is not worth sticker (at least to me), so if I get a scholarship, I will request it be made unconditional or else I will withdraw.
Last edited by the lantern on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:04 pm

Right. But does that mean they put all scholarship recipients in the same section?

dms87

Bronze

Post by dms87 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:23 pm

the lantern wrote:
whuts4lunch wrote:
whuts4lunch wrote:
Mitch McDeere wrote: I'm not sure about the curve, but I read on here somewhere that Miami places all of the people with scholarships into the same section. I hope that's not the case because I just got the same offer, and really don't like the idea of competing against other scholly recipients in order to keep the money during 2L and 3L. Does anyone know if this is true?
The entire class is ranked together, but the sections are curved individually. Say you have 350 students, and 5 sections of 70. Each 70 student section will be curved in the same manner. If they cram all the scholarship recipients into the same section, some people MUST lose their scholarships. The entire class will be ranked together, but there must be X amount of A's, B's, C's, etc. in each section. This is (allegedly) a common tactic at many law schools.

Personally, I would take any scholarship with a GPA requirement with a big grain of salt. I (likely) will not attend any school which offers me a conditional scholarship unless I would be comfortable paying sticker. Miami is not worth sticker (at least to me), so if I get a scholarship, I will request it be made unconditional or else I will withdraw.
Wow, this sounds really bad. I highly doubt you can request that, and it is quite arrogant of you to even consider doing that.

whuts4lunch

Bronze

Post by whuts4lunch » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:27 pm

dms87 wrote:Wow, this sounds really bad. I highly doubt you can request that, and it is quite arrogant of you to even consider doing that.
I'm sure he/she can request that. Why is it arrogant to "even consider doing that"?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:22 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:
dms87 wrote:Wow, this sounds really bad. I highly doubt you can request that, and it is quite arrogant of you to even consider doing that.
I'm sure he/she can request that. Why is it arrogant to "even consider doing that"?
It's not arrogant. It's called negotiating and it's smart.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

howie

New

Post by howie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:45 pm

basically I am trying to get an idea of what it would be like to live in miami, i am from upstate NY, and have only been to florida on family vacations so my image of florida is sunburns, seafood, beaches, and golf. Obviously that view is distorted, so i was just trying to get some insight of what miami would be like, obviously i have heard it described as 'clubland' and i am assuming miami is not like the traditional south.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Wow, this sounds really bad. I highly doubt you can request that, and it is quite arrogant of you to even consider doing that.
Read up on how people negotiate for scholarships. I have a decent LSAT and poor GPA, so I'm not in as good of a position as someone like you. With a 171/3.7, make sure you are aware of the negotiating that normally takes place. You are in a great position as you could possibly help a school raise both medians. There are a couple of TLS articles on asking for scholarships and whatnot. If you approach them like: "Hey, I would really like to attend Miami, but I am wary of a scholarship based off of my GPA... etc." The worst thing they can do is say no. You (or I) are certainly not the first ones to negotiate a scholarship and we will not be the last.

Check out this article called "Negotiating Merit Aid"
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373

eberl032

Bronze

Post by eberl032 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Got the letter today. 23k/yr. Im excited!

dms87

Bronze

Post by dms87 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:27 pm

the lantern wrote:
Read up on how people negotiate for scholarships. I have a decent LSAT and poor GPA, so I'm not in as good of a position as someone like you. With a 171/3.7, make sure you are aware of the negotiating that normally takes place. You are in a great position as you could possibly help a school raise both medians. There are a couple of TLS articles on asking for scholarships and whatnot. If you approach them like: "Hey, I would really like to attend Miami, but I am wary of a scholarship based off of my GPA... etc." The worst thing they can do is say no. You (or I) are certainly not the first ones to negotiate a scholarship and we will not be the last.

Check out this article called "Negotiating Merit Aid"
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 22&t=79373
Let me apologize then. My bad - I'm sorry. I didn't know we could do that. Thanks a lot for the mature and helpful response.

It's quite obvious you are a class act ldo! Thanks again.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anthony23

New

Post by Anthony23 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:50 pm

howie wrote:basically I am trying to get an idea of what it would be like to live in miami, i am from upstate NY, and have only been to florida on family vacations so my image of florida is sunburns, seafood, beaches, and golf. Obviously that view is distorted, so i was just trying to get some insight of what miami would be like, obviously i have heard it described as 'clubland' and i am assuming miami is not like the traditional south.
Hey Howie

Miami is definitely not your typical South. "Clubland" is new to me but I guess it could be somewhat accurate. It is an extremely pretentious place normally. Of course, the weather is beautiful the majority of the time and if you can study outside- awesome. I am from Florida and spent time in Miami. I also have friends who go to UM now, and practice there and West Palm as well. The lifestyle of Miami is very entertaining at the minimum. Most people I know, prefer to live near Miami but not in it. Those that live in it, are from there, or practicing with bigger firms there. Good luck! The more money you have in Miami, the better- but I guess this would be a universal... so sorry if it is not much help

Kojack

New

Post by Kojack » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:19 am

I'm from Miami and currently attend the U. Miami does have a large club scene. You can party at the Grove, Brickell or south beach on any day of the week.

Although Miami is a tremendous party city, I feel that everyone gets something different out of it. It is like no other city in the south. When you are in Mia, you need to go north in order to be in the south.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:39 am

howie wrote:basically I am trying to get an idea of what it would be like to live in miami, i am from upstate NY, and have only been to florida on family vacations so my image of florida is sunburns, seafood, beaches, and golf. Obviously that view is distorted, so i was just trying to get some insight of what miami would be like, obviously i have heard it described as 'clubland' and i am assuming miami is not like the traditional south.
I asked a bunch of similar questions in this thread already, and got great responses from people attending The U or living in Miami. I think their responses are on page 5 or 6 of this thread

lawschool5523

Bronze

Post by lawschool5523 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:58 am

I actually have grown up in south Florida, and had negative stereotypes about UMiami until I went and visited the law school a few months ago. Although Miami itself can be very clubgoing, etc., the law school is in Coral Gables which is one of the nicest areas surrounding Miami. The campus itself is very nice, and has the feeling of a college campus. You don't feel like you are in a city, or surround by one. If anyone has any questions about south Florida in general (West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, etc.) or about my visit feel free to PM me :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”