Florida State 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gatorlion

Re: Florida State 2010

Postby gatorlion » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:01 am

I'll be sending an LSAT addendum (4.0/158, 2 Master's degrees, btw).

Hal4040

Postby Hal4040 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:54 pm

which is considered better for a chance at admissions at this point in the process, being placed on the "waitlist" or being placed on "hold"?

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:08 pm

18a and 18b documents? What are they? Do i need to submit them? I applied in late december, I am incomplete on status checker.

I would appreciate any explanation. Thanks.

IF you are not a criminal, I expect that you do not have to provide these materials?
Last edited by ram jam on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:14 pm

You need to submit actual documentation from the court regarding any violations of the law.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:16 pm

In with almost full ride. Just wanted to share.

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:40 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:In with almost full ride. Just wanted to share.

Do you mind sharing the scholly amount? Thanks!

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:02 pm

36,000 to be disbursed 6000 per term, this qualifies me for in/state as well. (because of my national origin and a LACS provision in Florida's statutes).

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:12 pm

Hey guys, I went to FSU for UG. If anyone has any questions about housing or the town/school in general, hit me up!

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:15 pm

mhd08 wrote:Hey guys, I went to FSU for UG. If anyone has any questions about housing or the town/school in general, hit me up!

So how did you like Tallahassee, and is it a better location than Gainesville?

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:22 pm

Luis Gomez wrote:
mhd08 wrote:Hey guys, I went to FSU for UG. If anyone has any questions about housing or the town/school in general, hit me up!

I liked Tallahassee, but I wish it had been a little closer to bigger cities. If you are a city person you will not like it. It's a very rural location, but there's a lot to do in the town. There a ton of restaurants, bars, etc. There are two major malls and then lots of strip malls and some boutique stores. The awesome part about Tallahassee is the COL. Housing is very cheap. I paid about $400/mo for most apartments I lived in, and I knew people who paid as little as $300/mo for a house. As far as comparing it to Gainesville, they're both kind of rural but Gainesville is located closer to larger cities like Tampa and Orlando. Tallahassee has an interesting mix of people... it's VERY close to Georgia so you have a weird mix of people used to city life (Miami, Orlando, etc) and hicks (for lack of a better term). But I have to say it's a really fun town... there's always stuff going on and the bars are notorious for their happy hour specials. The school spirit is awesome, too. As far as career prospects, the campus is like a 2 minute drive to the capital, so there are a lot of opportunities because of that. If I can think of anything else, I'll be sure to share.

EDIT: this is NORTHERN florida, so it does get cold in the winter!! like in the 30s. it's really funny to see people from miami walking around like they're living in the north pole. but if you're expecting miami weather, you'll be disappointed.

one&only

Postby one&only » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:49 pm

mhd08 wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:

I liked Tallahassee, but I wish it had been a little closer to bigger cities. If you are a city person you will not like it. It's a very rural location, but there's a lot to do in the town. There a ton of restaurants, bars, etc. There are two major malls and then lots of strip malls and some boutique stores. The awesome part about Tallahassee is the COL. Housing is very cheap. I paid about $400/mo for most apartments I lived in, and I knew people who paid as little as $300/mo for a house. As far as comparing it to Gainesville, they're both kind of rural but Gainesville is located closer to larger cities like Tampa and Orlando. Tallahassee has an interesting mix of people... it's VERY close to Georgia so you have a weird mix of people used to city life (Miami, Orlando, etc) and hicks (for lack of a better term). But I have to say it's a really fun town... there's always stuff going on and the bars are notorious for their happy hour specials. The school spirit is awesome, too. As far as career prospects, the campus is like a 2 minute drive to the capital, so there are a lot of opportunities because of that. If I can think of anything else, I'll be sure to share.

EDIT: this is NORTHERN florida, so it does get cold in the winter!! like in the 30s. it's really funny to see people from miami walking around like they're living in the north pole. but if you're expecting miami weather, you'll be disappointed.

Hi, mhd08 is Tallahassee gay friendly? or am I better of avoiding FSU?

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:07 am

one&only wrote:
mhd08 wrote:
Luis Gomez wrote:

Hi, mhd08 is Tallahassee gay friendly? or am I better of avoiding FSU?

Yes, it is gay friendly, I never saw any problems. One of my good friends was gay and he didn't seem to have any issues. There's one gay club in the town, it's pretty popular.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:41 pm

ram jam wrote:18a and 18b documents? What are they? Do i need to submit them? I applied in late december, I am incomplete on status checker.

I would appreciate any explanation. Thanks.

IF you are not a criminal, I expect that you do not have to provide these materials?

Mine has the same thing, but at the top of the screen there is a message saying my application is considered complete. Double check for that, I think this may just be a bookkeeping(sp?) issuse.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Just went complete today...hoping for a decision soon. (3.3, 163, non-URM)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:45 pm

Finally went complete yesterday :).

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:10 am

Any of you have FSU as your #1 choice?

Threepeat

Postby Threepeat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:00 pm

Did anyone else receive the email with an invitation to the scholars day? I don't want to look to far into this, but I haven't received any notice of a scholarship. Does this mean I can expect to see some sort of scholarship?

Just wondering if anyone else received this and if you happened to receive a scholarship.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:01 pm

I got that email but know nothing of any scholarship.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Just got off the phone with the admissions people regarding my HOLD status. I was told that, at least for this cycle, my numbers are not competitive (158/4.0). I've already been accepted at Colorado (#45) and WL at Virginia (#10). I think they just don't like Gator alum anymore...

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:16 pm

what is scholars day?

I just got invited to come visit but I think it was more general...

also- if you got a scholarship when did they tell you?

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:24 pm

gatorlion wrote:Just got off the phone with the admissions people regarding my HOLD status. I was told that, at least for this cycle, my numbers are not competitive (158/4.0). I've already been accepted at Colorado (#45) and WL at Virginia (#10). I think they just don't like Gator alum anymore...

They seem to favor the LSAT pretty heavily from what I saw on LSN. That being said I am on hold too, with a 167/2.6 so GPA at least plays some role with them. Can't say they are really a very top choice, it was more about proximity to family. Though the school does seem to have an upward trend right now.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:45 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:
gatorlion wrote:Just got off the phone with the admissions people regarding my HOLD status. I was told that, at least for this cycle, my numbers are not competitive (158/4.0). I've already been accepted at Colorado (#45) and WL at Virginia (#10). I think they just don't like Gator alum anymore...

They seem to favor the LSAT pretty heavily from what I saw on LSN. That being said I am on hold too, with a 167/2.6 so GPA at least plays some role with them. Can't say they are really a very top choice, it was more about proximity to family. Though the school does seem to have an upward trend right now.

Just talked to a friend who attends FSU Law and 2 things came to light:

1) FSU might be using this cycle to finally overtake UF (only 160+ LSATs have been admitted so far this cycle)
2) Most people don't hear this early unless they are auto-admits (my friend heard in March when he applied)

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:43 pm

Went complete on 1/8, as of today decision made and will arrive by mail. Here's hoping for a t-shirt. Hopefully the lack of call is because we are late in the cycle and they are much busier than they were a few months ago.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 pm

Moose Thompson wrote:Went complete on 1/8, as of today decision made and will arrive by mail. Here's hoping for a t-shirt. Hopefully the lack of call is because we are late in the cycle and they are much busier than they were a few months ago.

Don't worry about the call. I got in in Nov. and didn't get a call until after I got the envelope.

Moose Thompson

Postby Moose Thompson » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:52 pm

scribelaw wrote:Don't worry about the call. I got in in Nov. and didn't get a call until after I got the envelope.

Haha, thanks! I was just about to edit my post that I saw a few pages back you had gotten in via snail mail without a phone call back in November/December. Looks like I have a reason to hit the mailbox for the next week or so.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”