Florida State 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Arpedzio

Re: Florida State 2010

Postby Arpedzio » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:21 pm

Here's a UF vs. FSU perspective from a Florida resident interested in public interest/environmental stuff. My financial situation is very delicate, so I decided against out of state schools very early on (W&M), still waiting to hear from a few other schools, but unless I get an amazing offer, I'm sticking to FSU.

I went to both ASDs.

Facilities - In my opinion, FSU was overall much nicer. The building is cleaner, the floor is stone, there is glass and wood paneling everywhere. The student lounge was fantastic. Things were also more accessible, less stairs, less turns. Aesthetically and functionally, i prefer the FSU building. I felt that UF had a nicer library, however. The UF courthouse was also great, but FSU just acquired the building across the street, which will be a fantastic addition.

Faculty Nothing but good things to say about the faculty of each school. UF exposed us to the big guns, while FSU seemed to expose us to the "cutting edge" young faculty that the Dean kept emphasizing. Glad we had a mock class at FSU, something UF did not offer. Was very pleased with it.

Students I think this is where the difference was most tangible. While the UF students participating in the ASD day were very nice, I barely talked to any students that were not part of the event. Everyone at UF looked very serious, very professional, and very evasive of the visitors. When I walked into FSU, there was a group of students talking in a circle. When they saw me and my guest approach, they literally opened up their circle to invite us into their conversation. There were a lot more people promoting their student organizations, students were dressed much more casually, and there were students smiling and hanging out in groups everywhere. The atmosphere was very good, and I finally understood why attitude is something that people who visit FSU flag as refreshing.

Location Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Tallahassee. It's isolated, overcrowded, full of iffy neighborhoods, and the traffic is horrendous. The FSU campuses are absolutely staggering. The landscape is beautiful and there are parks everywhere. The law campus is a little less than a mile away from the other campuses. There were law firms in every corner, nonprofits, government buildings, etc. A law student's dream, which should be expected out of a capital. Don't like Gainesville very much either, but it's more relaxing since it literally revolves around UF. Not many opportunities/things to do there.

Opportunities Many of the students I talked to in Gainesville seemed to get some kind of work opportunity, externship, etc. because they met this or that alumni. It really illustrated how big and what a great asset the UF alumni base is. However, they were mostly doing things out of gainesville, except for someone working with a judge. One person was doing work in tampa, someone else in Tallahassee, someone else in orlando, etc. FSU students I talked to were working with non-profits, the senate both in florida and dc, judges, firms, etc. mostly located in tally.

Programs Quite frankly, I think if you want to work in a law firm/for private interest, UF is the place to go. At UF they emphasized firms, students talked about firms, people interned in firms, i met alumni from firms. FSU was almost the opposite, lots of emphasis on government, public interest, environmental law, etc. Not to mention the UF tax law program, which is probably the best in the country. However, like I said before, Tally is littered with private law firms everywhere, and the business law faculty and program at FSU were very very impressive.

Conclusion I felt like FSU really wanted me. The vibe was great, they bent over backwards to help us, all the offices were available at the end of ASD. UF was a quite a bit less inviting, though it was still a great ASD experience, FSU was just that much better. At the end of the day they personally handed me a rather nice merit scholarship, and informed me that need based stuff had just started being processed. The money made my choice very easy, but I can comfortably say that I would have chosen FSU over UF had no money been offered.

In regards to the rankings, I don't think there are contradictions in touting the rank while at the same time dismissing it. The truth is that rankings aren't a reliable predictor of the quality of education, but they still influence the market. Quality and the added boost of the rankings are a good thing. The attitude at FSU was very much one of hunger and determination, while at UF it appeared to be one of seniority and ease.

I highly recommend visiting both schools. The decision between these two schools is an extremely tough one, and I don't believe you can go wrong with either school.
Last edited by Arpedzio on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:03 pm

Great summary, Arpedzio. I'm looking forward to meeting you in the fall.

eros

Postby eros » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Good stuff Arpedzio. I could not make it to either ASD, so it was nice to hear a little recap and see what I missed. As someone also trying to make the UF vs. FSU decision, let me say that I am leaning the same way you are for many of the reasons you discussed as well (interest in enviro law and public interest, opportunities in the capital for clerkships/internships/summer jobs, and FSU is a school on the rise, no way around it).

highdraws

Postby highdraws » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:58 pm

qualster wrote:A dude in the admissions office told me that it's easy to establish residency and qualify as in state for 2nd and third year. However, somebody mentioned on TLS that it might be difficult. Anybody know?

I'm not in yet (hope to be, of course), but I'd be very interested if in state were possible after that first year.

From my understanding, establishing residency for 2L and 3L is very doable. As an OOS that has been accepted, FSU gave me a very detailed list of things to do in order to establish residency. Granted, it is a somewhat time-consuming endeavor, I have been assured that OOS's that follow it have no issue in establishing residency.

qualster

Postby qualster » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:11 am

highdraws wrote:
qualster wrote:A dude in the admissions office told me that it's easy to establish residency and qualify as in state for 2nd and third year. However, somebody mentioned on TLS that it might be difficult. Anybody know?

I'm not in yet (hope to be, of course), but I'd be very interested if in state were possible after that first year.

From my understanding, establishing residency for 2L and 3L is very doable. As an OOS that has been accepted, FSU gave me a very detailed list of things to do in order to establish residency. Granted, it is a somewhat time-consuming endeavor, I have been assured that OOS's that follow it have no issue in establishing residency.

Nice. I hope I get in. I applied mid February so I may be SOL. I have other cool options but FSU is legit.

highdraws

Postby highdraws » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:44 am

Thanks for the great post Arpedzio. Your breakdown really shows that FSU and UF are very different schools when you really look at them closely. In reference to your comments about employment prospects, I don't necessarily think that UF is completely superior to FSU in terms of getting a job in a private firm. If you take a good look at their placement numbers, FSU does place students in big private firms making the same type salary as a UF grad. I think the reason UF places more students in private firms is because, as you noted, that is their MO. People who want to go into a big private firm are drawn to UF because, as you described about the ASD, UF chooses to emphasis their connections to private practice vastly more than anything else. Whereas FSU places equal emphasis on governmental jobs as private jobs. Due to that, more students that are leaning towards government work are more likely to go to FSU and ultimately take that government job. So I don't think that FSU places one a disadvantage when it comes to getting a job in private firm. I think that most people who choose FSU over UF don't necessarily intend to seek out that private firm job, and therefore shouldn't be viewed as a red flag when they choose to take a job with the government instead of a job in a big firm in Tampa.
Just my attempt at an unbiased look at this comparison. Thanks again for the great info!

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:55 am

Has anyone been able to find employment stats for the class of 2008 or 2009 for FSU grads?

Bulls

Postby Bulls » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:35 pm

FSU has been eerily quiet.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:38 pm

withdrew with $, was not an easy decision to make. Good luck everyone.

highdraws

Postby highdraws » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:34 pm

ram jam wrote:Has anyone been able to find employment stats for the class of 2008 or 2009 for FSU grads?

The stats are noticeably absent on the website, but I've been told that they will be up soon. I called and talked to the director of the placement office. He said that they just completed the stats for the 2009 class and they are, as best as I can remember, this:

96-97% employment after 9 months
median salary: $67,500
salaries as low as the mid 30's, and as high as 160,000.

He couldn't say at the time what percentage had reported back regarding salary, but believed it was above 50% and that this year's numbers are consistent with previous years, which is fairly impressive ITE.

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:47 pm

Paid my seat deposit today! Who's with me?

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:45 pm

Tuyarp wrote:Paid my seat deposit today! Who's with me?

paid yesterday. a couple months ago i was really worried about this decision and thought it was going to be difficult to know which is the right school for me. but i am so happy about my choice and am 99% confident that i have made the right decision.
good luck to people still waiting to hear from fsu.

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:06 pm

Glad to hear that, mango. Do you have any idea where you're going to live yet?

I like the descriptions of Thomasville rd. on the FSU c/o 2013 thread, but I'm open to reasonable persuasion.

p_r

Postby p_r » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:57 pm

After being held for what seemed like an eternity (when in reality, it's only been about a week or two), my application is "Under Review" as of today. I am very anxious!

Arpedzio

Postby Arpedzio » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:28 pm

ram jam wrote:Has anyone been able to find employment stats for the class of 2008 or 2009 for FSU grads?

It's 96% after 9 months. The Dean told us at ASD, it dropped 2%. He said it was quite the task to get those numbers.

Tuyarp

Postby Tuyarp » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:29 pm

If you don't mind, what are your numbers, p_r? You can PM, if you'd like.

Good luck!

Sean Bateman

Postby Sean Bateman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:39 am

Probably paying my seat deposit tomorrow. I appreciated the breakdown between FSU and UF. I too am looking at both these schools (and one out of state that gave a hefty scholarship)
I was extremely impressed at FSU's Scholars Day.
I have not visited UF yet but they are not asking me to pay a seat deposit til May 15th and I will attend an ASW before then.
FSU wants me to call in the morning to discuss a merit scholarship. If it is a generous enough offer, I can definitely see myself ending up here. Even though I have not visited UF yet I got an amazing vibe from FSU. I will keep everyone updated.

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:58 am

f
Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:47 am

I suspect we'll all be hearing from them in the next [strike]few[/strike] week[strike]s[/strike].

lawschoolstudent85

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:02 am

Last edited by lawschoolstudent85 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

delnotdl

Postby delnotdl » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:48 am

wiggsb wrote:
ram jam wrote:I suspect we'll all be hearing from them in the next [strike]few[/strike] week[strike]s[/strike].

I think you are probably right. I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed.

Atleast you guys already know you're on hold. I've been application complete since 2/12. this is torture.

Andreeai

Postby Andreeai » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:53 am

delnotdl wrote:
wiggsb wrote:
ram jam wrote:I suspect we'll all be hearing from them in the next [strike]few[/strike] week[strike]s[/strike].

Atleast you guys already know you're on hold. I've been application complete since 2/12. this is torture.

I've been complete since 01/15 :-(. Under review now

delnotdl

Postby delnotdl » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:11 am

Andreeai wrote:
delnotdl wrote:
wiggsb wrote:

I've been complete since 01/15 :-(. Under review now

Good luck!

ChaotiCait

Postby ChaotiCait » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:12 am

Hey guys, a spot and $45,000 opened up a few days ago... good luck!

Andreeai

Postby Andreeai » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:28 am

Atleast you guys already know you're on hold. I've been application complete since 2/12. this is torture.[/quote]

I've been complete since 01/15 :-(. Under review now[/quote]

Good luck![/quote]

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”